A full explanation about Willow's design

Willow_DST.thumb.png.3013bde31f0ba5419ce10ca73739a177.png

Willow is based on novels about young people related to pyrokinesis, mainly “Firestarter” (or “Charlie” in some editions) by Stephen king:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestarter_(novel)

Firestarter-Stephen-King.jpg.b5ea4191079431f5a75cfb36889bdb6f.jpg

During her childhood, Charlene ("Charlie") McGee had a teddy bear which she ignited on fire by simply looking at it, through the power of her mind.

Bernie is not only based on Firestarter, he´s inspired by the classic haunted dolls, animated by magic or spirits, who will harm or protect certain persons.

Spoiler

Bernie_Promo.thumb.png.24e6f3d7c2f2b7817da41b56f028b429.png

One of the big traits of Charlie is having a strong (but fiery) temper and little patience, always manifesting in her behavior.

Willow acts in this way too:

-"You jerk! Let me in!" (Pig House occupied, lights off)

-"A cone full of jerks." (Killer Bee Hive)

-"Jerks that slither." (Snake)

-"Jerks that swim." (Sea Hound)

-"Stay back, you big jerk!" (Krampus)

-"Hurry up, dirtpile. Feed me!" (Farm, growing)

-"But I want more berries!" (Berry Bush, picked)

-"Stupid rabbits. Come out so I can eat you." (Rabbit Hole)

While Telekinesis is the ability to influence actions in objects with the mind, Pyrokinesis is the ability of creating and controlling fire by thought:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrokinesis

The name Willow is related to magic, witchcraft, to be more exact.

For example the willow tree is know as "witchs´s tree" due to its parts being used as ingredients for potions, and rituals in old times by witches and warlocks.

Spoiler

willow-tree.thumb.jpg.55f488e624fb3e68acaa332c4ea00955.jpg

willow-tree-witch.thumb.jpg.ccb08996dd31b5dbcaa8d6d2d6742f4d.jpg

Interestingly Willow was also portrayed as a witch in her Funko Pops and Halloween art.

Spoiler

Willow_Hallowen_Challenge_2013.thumb.jpg.96a21c877010477303a8fe86c6ac37a9.jpg

will-witc.thumb.png.3da2b46e2c1f896fbd70c3b3f97453d8.png

"A symbol of stake-burnt sisterhood." (Fiery Witch's Hat description)

In old times, people accused of witchcraft were burned in stakes.

Spoiler

burn-stake.jpg.c8dd4419476af3e8a250a319f89270ed.jpg

Between 1920 & 1930, Japan started to produce lighters under the brand “Willow”, with different models and decorations.

Spoiler

willow-light1.thumb.png.e846d1f2914ed4900376f7d9f6f9d983.png

willow-light2.thumb.png.e6835a6d910abc2716db61da0272d964.png

willow-lighter-old.png.0e27117231ae0a12ced2e42c07a3b026.png

willow-lighter-vintage.jpg.bd85a3585c0eb838e0d5351e13354e50.jpg

willow-lighters-vintage.jpg.b7a8d7fe9d9ba83ffa1b348b27a33bec.jpg

Vintage-Willow-lig.jpg.bc12dd4a213b0d3f21e0a05d3bfccb8c.jpg

Vintage-Willow-Chrome-Lighter.jpg.689a343dc70533c05c6bafa309003961.jpg

One of the most popular models. (Looks familiar, right?)

5ca57897b9232_Willows_Lighter.png.08639dea1594523430d1b7934aa68a9b.png

2 hours ago, Tapirus said:

Willow_DST.thumb.png.3013bde31f0ba5419ce10ca73739a177.png

Willow is based on novels about young people related to pyrokinesis, mainly “Firestarter” (or “Charlie” in some editions) by Stephen king:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestarter_(novel)

Firestarter-Stephen-King.jpg.b5ea4191079431f5a75cfb36889bdb6f.jpg

During her childhood, Charlene ("Charlie") McGee had a teddy bear which she ignited on fire by simply looking at it, through the power of her mind.

Bernie is not only based on Firestarter, he´s inspired by the classic haunted dolls, animated by magic or spirits, who will harm or protect certain persons.

Reveal hidden contents

Bernie_Promo.thumb.png.24e6f3d7c2f2b7817da41b56f028b429.png

One of the big traits of Charlie is having a strong (but fiery) temper and little patience, always manifesting in her behavior.

Willow acts in this way too:

-"You jerk! Let me in!" (Pig House occupied, lights off)

-"A cone full of jerks." (Killer Bee Hive)

-"Jerks that slither." (Snake)

-"Jerks that swim." (Sea Hound)

-"Stay back, you big jerk!" (Krampus)

-"Hurry up, dirtpile. Feed me!" (Farm, growing)

-"But I want more berries!" (Berry Bush, picked)

-"Stupid rabbits. Come out so I can eat you." (Rabbit Hole)

While Telekinesis is the ability to influence actions in objects with the mind, Pyrokinesis is the ability of creating and controlling fire by thought:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrokinesis

The name Willow is related to magic, witchcraft, to be more exact.

For example the willow tree is know as "witchs´s tree" due to its parts being used as ingredients for potions, and rituals in old times by witches and warlocks.

Reveal hidden contents

willow-tree.thumb.jpg.55f488e624fb3e68acaa332c4ea00955.jpg

willow-tree-witch.thumb.jpg.ccb08996dd31b5dbcaa8d6d2d6742f4d.jpg

Interestingly Willow was also portrayed as a witch in her Funko Pops and Halloween art.

Reveal hidden contents

Willow_Hallowen_Challenge_2013.thumb.jpg.96a21c877010477303a8fe86c6ac37a9.jpg

will-witc.thumb.png.3da2b46e2c1f896fbd70c3b3f97453d8.png

"A symbol of stake-burnt sisterhood." (Fiery Witch's Hat description)

In old times, people accused of witchcraft were burned in stakes.

Reveal hidden contents

burn-stake.jpg.c8dd4419476af3e8a250a319f89270ed.jpg

Between 1920 & 1930, Japan started to produce lighters under the brand “Willow”, with different models and decorations.

Reveal hidden contents

willow-light1.thumb.png.e846d1f2914ed4900376f7d9f6f9d983.png

willow-light2.thumb.png.e6835a6d910abc2716db61da0272d964.png

willow-lighter-old.png.0e27117231ae0a12ced2e42c07a3b026.png

willow-lighter-vintage.jpg.bd85a3585c0eb838e0d5351e13354e50.jpg

willow-lighters-vintage.jpg.b7a8d7fe9d9ba83ffa1b348b27a33bec.jpg

Vintage-Willow-lig.jpg.bc12dd4a213b0d3f21e0a05d3bfccb8c.jpg

Vintage-Willow-Chrome-Lighter.jpg.689a343dc70533c05c6bafa309003961.jpg

One of the most popular models. (Looks familiar, right?)

5ca57897b9232_Willows_Lighter.png.08639dea1594523430d1b7934aa68a9b.png

and i say i swear i heard the word " Fire-Starter " somewhere, i used to read the novel in my school library.
not the other two though.

The witch hints really make me think about what Willow's update will entail. Will she gain more supernatural abilities? Maybe she can be like the Firestarter's Charlie and manifest fires? That might be too on the nose, but it's a thought.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:14 AM, Canis said:

Jokes aside, props to you for doing so much research. I enjoy these threads explaining the small design details that literally no one else covers.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:25 AM, DarithD said:

So many reference i didn't know about, i love it.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:48 AM, Hell-met said:

Very interesting!

On 4/4/2019 at 2:15 AM, Stonetribe said:

This is pretty great~

Thanks, I been preparing this info since a while.

23 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Well researched dude. Gj :)

You should consider making a vid on this.

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

11 hours ago, Bluegeist said:

The witch hints really make me think about what Willow's update will entail. Will she gain more supernatural abilities? Maybe she can be like the Firestarter's Charlie and manifest fires? That might be too on the nose, but it's a thought.

Yeah, would be really interesting see more about her "witch side" in the next update. 

41 minutes ago, ModsterMash said:

That's an idea I had, too, but based on her quote for the Old Bell:  "Is it New Year's Eve? Are there FIREWORKS?!"

Bell ringing is a Japanese New Year's tradition.

That's a good observation, congrats for your find, ModsterMash.

Fun fact for OP's delight: a friend of mine that apparently is interested and following them DS/T wikis (as opposed to yours truly that doesn't give a flying fu.. meatball about them, heh) pointed to me this one about Willow's Lighter as being modified recently with present lil piece of info - "Willow's Lighter is a lift arm lighter. Coincidentally, there was a manufacturer of these automatic lighters named Willow. [1]". Thus I suppose you should be proud op, some randomo wiki editor or whatever they are called got very happy with your current tread as well I assume, citations very much not included *wink wink*

Anyway we got the Willow rework preview stream test, I reckon lighter will remain forever unchanged and... that's that.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Fun fact for OP's delight: a friend of mine that apparently is interested and following them DS/T wikis (as opposed to yours truly that doesn't give a flying fu.. meatball about them, heh) pointed to me this one about Willow's Lighter as being modified recently with present lil piece of info - "Willow's Lighter is a lift arm lighter. Coincidentally, there was a manufacturer of these automatic lighters named Willow. [1]". Thus I suppose you should be proud op, some randomo wiki editor or whatever they are called got very happy with your current tread as well I assume, citations very much not included *wink wink*

Well, that's quite interesting.

5 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Anyway we got the Willow rework preview stream test, I reckon lighter will remain forever unchanged and... that's that.

Cheers!

Maybe it was @minespatchwho updated this bit in the wiki.. 

Well, anyways, It feels good know my investigations are useful to the community. Thanks to everybody for read it.

After some things to be resolved, I'll think make more posts with info later.

Yeah, "Firestarter" was one of the first things I thought of with Willow--especially the original (singleplayer) version.  Whenever she starts getting too emotional (to the point of being out of control)..._she starts random fires_.  Her "strange new power" is a manifestation of her personality/insanity into actual physical being, as it is for most of the others.  (And that's where I got my theory about how The Constant must be something like Xanth because it's got a strong background magical field and people are just automatically changed by..._being_ in it, but that's not important right now.)

It's fun to note that--because the game simply doesn't EXCLUDE this happening on certain surfaces--she can set _anything_ on fire, including stone.  Aaaand...there's a very noteable scene in Stephen King's "Firestarter" where Charlie McGee BURNS.  CONCRETE.  I remember her dad being extra, super freaked out by that and thinking about just how much sheer heat would be needed to pull that off...and then I watch Willow go nuts while in a stone area and set rock on fire.  Heh. 

And I had no idea about the lighter, that's awesome!  I did know about the bell-ringing thing on New Year's Eve (yay otakuness!  Specifically here I saw it in Ranma 1/2 and Oh!  My Goddess!) but I didn't remember that quote from Willow.

As for "stake-burnt sisterhood"...that reminds me:  Isn't there a character in the Chocolate Frog cards from Harry Potter, who was a witch from back in history who kept letting herself get set on fire multiple times because she _liked_ it?  And...didn't her name also start with a W?

(looks it up)  Yeah,  Wendelin the Weird!

(Here I tried to find a decent screenshot of her card from one of the Harry Potter PC games, the ones that _I_ remember, but I couldn't.  I'd take a screenshot myself if the damn things still worked on my computer.  :P)

AAAANYway, name begins with a W, set on fire perhaps _47_ times, not only not harmed by it (because of a flame-freezing charm) but LIKED it.  Discuss.  :)

...Notorious

17 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

As for "stake-burnt sisterhood"...that reminds me:  Isn't there a character in the Chocolate Frog cards from Harry Potter, who was a witch from back in history who kept letting herself get set on fire multiple times because she _liked_ it?  And...didn't her name also start with a W?

(looks it up)  Yeah,  Wendelin the Weird!

(Here I tried to find a decent screenshot of her card from one of the Harry Potter PC games, the ones that _I_ remember, but I couldn't.  I'd take a screenshot myself if the damn things still worked on my computer.  :P)

AAAANYway, name begins with a W, set on fire perhaps _47_ times, not only not harmed by it (because of a flame-freezing charm) but LIKED it.  Discuss.  :)

...Notorious

I think I found the pic mentioned:

Wendelin_the_Weird_-_card_POAG.png.3fd86f8c1a8167d92e109fcc190177e9.png

Yeah, it's really funny see another case of witchcraft curiously related to a name with W and fire. Thanks for your contribution.

Well, since some users has been asking me which kind of haunted doll would be Bernie, I´ll give my reply here: Hōko.

Hoko_Doll.png.5b0e77670f93a9b7c5847ed4c337869a.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hōko_(doll)

Hōko are talisman-dolls made in Japan created to protect his owner. It's said they´re capable of scare away, confuse and distract evil spirits. 

For explain it in a simpler way, we can say that they act as "reverse voodoo doll" (the harm that one person could suffer, happens to the doll actually).

No limited to human shape, some ones were made like animals too. And like the others haunted dolls, Hōko are strongly related to witchcraft.

wow incredible research.. great job <3 .. glad to know more about her..
i really like willow, she's my fav. her quotes is funny XD . like this " examine Wes Ghost, - hey tell me watcha need and i'll go get it for you. heh heh heh!.- " , " examine batle helm - It's got a name scrathed on the inside.. 'W', uh.. "

Archived