About critters and some possibilities...

¿What's your opinion about the Critters?

Critters_Loading_Screen.png.a931cb7e5a780237a7d929a7121d94cf.png

Lately, I've been thinking talk about these little creatures, because yes, they're nice, but they don´t have functions.

I have 2 types of ideas for Critters, one more big than the other:

-Idea A or "Having a pet is always healthy": Critters have Sanity Aura +2 (but you must be very close to benefit from that aura). Basically, like a "mini glommer".

-Idea B or "My adventurous companion": Critters gives you a 10% benefit in your activities, depending on the pet´s traits.

Scrappy = +10% buff to your attack in fights.
Crafty= +10% buff to your movement speed when you cut wood, mining rocks and harvesting of food.
Peppy ("Playful")= +10% buff to your walking and runnig speed.
Plump ("Well-fed")= +10% buff when your character eats, making a bit more easy to restore Hunger.

Both special effects of "Idea A" and "Idea B" last while the pet still being feed, otherwise, your character will lose the effects after some time.

Something like this will bring a small help to people who likes Critters and maybe the people who don´t like Critters may see them a bit more usefull.

"Here, kittykittykitty!  Do you want the stinger?  Yes you do!  Yes hims _does_ want the stinger!"

XD

(although actually these days I take care of excess stingers with the Spike Trap mod.  But not everyone is on PC, so...)

Well, to be fair, my first kittykit's first meal ever WAS a cactus. : P

...Notorious

while passive bonuses like these would certainly be better than nothing but what id love is if they fully became pets. like actuals mobs like the others animals. so u could build a pen for it and a little house and food bowl and when u want it to follow u u 'attach' a leash etc but thats highly unlikely to ever happen 

Honestly, I think that the very idea of passive buffs tied to critters would just encourage players to only adopt the ones with the easily-obtainable ingredients.

Not that this isn't already a thing with the game, given that some of the critters really are that troublesome to adopt, but the appeal in owning a critter just for its sake would naturally die away very quickly.

1 hour ago, Loopy Ouroboros said:

Honestly, I think that the very idea of passive buffs tied to critters would just encourage players to only adopt the ones with the easily-obtainable ingredients.

Not that this isn't already a thing with the game, given that some of the critters really are that troublesome to adopt, but the appeal in owning a critter just for its sake would naturally die away very quickly.

Yes, I thought about the possibility of people abusing the small buffs of Ideas A & B, that's why I said "+2 Sanity" or "+10%" because is just too tiny to try that.

Example: Critter (+2 Sanity) vs Top Hat (+3.3 Sanity):

-The Critter gives you sanity, but you must be too close to him for this. Also, feed him constantly or you will lose the effect (and then deal with his screams).

-With Top Hat, for just 6 Silk, you get more Sanity than  spend a whole day with you pet. No need to use food there, and the Sewing Kit helps you keep this item.

For the buff idea maybe instead do that each buff are associated to a specific critter. The best buff could be given to the hardest critter to obtain like the damage boost to the broodling for exemple.

22 hours ago, minespatch said:

I want pets to be trashcans to be honest. If they can eat normal food, why not feed them items that clutter our bases?

35 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Seriously this. Sure passive buffs would be cool, but having a portable trash can would be invaluable. 

I like the idea, but sadly, that could be used by trolls sometimes to vanish gears, gold, gems, etc. because "lulz".

Maybe critters could be used to eat stingers, hounds teeth, small things (Rocks, flint, nitre, twigs, cut reeds/grass, beefalo wool) then cough up different things depending on the critter 

Mind that all critters need to eat somewhere around 5 to get the effects

Vargling

Spoiler

Wouldn't accept hound tooth, coughs up rot (50%), nothing (30%), and trinkets (20%)

Kittykit

Spoiler

hairballs up catcoon tail (10%), trinkets (20%), beefalo wool (50%), and nothing (20%)

Ewelet

Spoiler

Baas out phlem (5%), steel wool (20%), trinkets (30%), meat (35%), and nothing (10%)

Glom Glom

Spoiler

Gloms out glommers goop (25%), rot (20%), trinkets (35%), and honey (20%)

Broodling

Spoiler

Flames up scales (3%), red, blue, purple gems (6% each), green, yellow, orange gems (3% each), gold nuggets (30%), trinkets (20%), and nothing (20%)

Giblet

Spoiler

Pukes up bone shards (10%), feathers (9% each, 3% for yellow), trinkets (20%), and nothing (40%)

7 hours ago, Ohan said:

and when u want it to follow u u 'attach' a leash etc

Leash you say ^u^

3 hours ago, zergologist said:

Vargling

Reveal hidden contents

so thats where my trains, kazoo, train, hair dyer, and orange soda went.

Kittykit

Reveal hidden contents

call a doctor immediately 

Ewelet

Hide contents

Baas out phlem (5%), steel wool (20%), trinkets (30%), meat (35%),

Ouch and uh....I don't want that meat

Broodling

Hide contents

Flames up scales (3%), red, blue, purple gems (6% each), green, yellow, orange gems (3% each), gold nuggets (30%), trinkets (20%), and nothing (20%)

Giblet

Hide contents

these critters need vets dear lord
they have a whole storage unit in their stomach

10 hours ago, Ohan said:

while passive bonuses like these would certainly be better than nothing but what id love is if they fully became pets. like actuals mobs like the others animals. so u could build a pen for it and a little house and food bowl and when u want it to follow u u 'attach' a leash etc but thats highly unlikely to ever happen 

You mean a "Pet Den" structure, like the Pig House? Sounds good, as something extra for Critters.

4 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Pets should just stay as pets. Giving them any kind of benefits pasive or active would make them just another "pick the most useful one" kind of items. 

I understand, but the problem is the current status: they're just animations, the only real interaction with you is eat your food forever and then scream constantly.

As you can see here, there's poeple who likes Critters and they wish something better for the little mobs.

Just now, Tapirus said:

I understand, but the problem is the current status: they're just animations, the only real interaction with you is eat your food forever and then scream constantly.

As you can see here, there's poeple who likes Critters and they wish something better for the little mobs.

Well that's just too bad cuz that's what they're meant to be- just animations

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Well that's just too bad cuz that's what they're meant to be- just animations

Yeah, the animations are nice, but the need of being feeded constantly and the screams is one reason of why some people hate them.

Just now, Tapirus said:

Yeah, the animations are nice, but the need of being feeded constantly and the screams is one reason of why some people hate them.

...y'know that giving them passive/active benefits isn't going to change that?

They'll still require food and scream if not fed

1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

...y'know that giving them passive/active benefits isn't going to change that?

I know.

As I said in the first post, I was thinking some ideas for Critters.

3 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

They'll still require food and scream if not fed

True, but have some small benefit still being better than nothing.

On 10/01/2019 at 9:56 AM, zergologist said:

Maybe critters could be used to eat stingers, hounds teeth, small things (Rocks, flint, nitre, twigs, cut reeds/grass, beefalo wool) then cough up different things depending on the critter 

Mind that all critters need to eat somewhere around 5 to get the effects

Vargling

Reveal hidden contents

Wouldn't accept hound tooth, coughs up rot (50%), nothing (30%), and trinkets (20%)

Kittykit

Reveal hidden contents

hairballs up catcoon tail (10%), trinkets (20%), beefalo wool (50%), and nothing (20%)

Ewelet

Reveal hidden contents

Baas out phlem (5%), steel wool (20%), trinkets (30%), meat (35%), and nothing (10%)

Glom Glom

Reveal hidden contents

Gloms out glommers goop (25%), rot (20%), trinkets (35%), and honey (20%)

Broodling

Reveal hidden contents

Giblet

Reveal hidden contents

Pukes up bone shards (10%), feathers (9% each, 3% for yellow), trinkets (20%), and nothing (40%)

I would say that a pet would require grooming every 10 days with the brush. They will drop items corresponding to their animal counterparts when groomed. Vargling: Beard hair(closest thing to hair). Kittykit: beefalo wool( no tails that will be evil). Ewelet: steel wool. Glom glom: they need no grooming! Goops every few days BUT 2×glommer's time to goop. Broodling: scales. Giblet: feathers. Make them cough up certain items when you give them items instead of food. Vargling: rot. Kittykit: MORE beefalo wool. Ewelet: phlegm. Glom glom: nothing, goop every few days. Broodling: set stuff nearby on FIRE and then pukes out some gem. Giblet: bone shards. IF a pet has been groomed, after 5 days they will trip and drop their items AGAIN if you run on a road, leave them or you are in a fight. Pets will give buffs as long as they are groomed and fed. Vargling: Deals 20 dmg per second to enemies you ATTACKED, unaffected by dmg multipliers. Kittykit: 10% Increased movement speed. Ewelet: will shoot a weaker phlegm at enemies you ATTACKED, will not deal dmg but will stun, phelgm is destroyed upon attacking 2 times. Glom glom: 10% Increased Stat gain from everything. Broodling: Sets fire to the enemies you ATTACKED, fire WILL spread and burn the mob's items, mob has a 10% chance of dropping gems upon dying to fire( does NOT have to be the dragonfly fire). Giblet: 20% increased stat gain from fruits and veggies. IF you did not groom the pets, you will receive a dirty, terrible pet. After 20 days of no grooming, the pet will die of disease. This might seem stupid, but considering the amount of buffs they give you, you should care for your pets more. This is "pets", not "set it and forget it". Pets will also die after 20 days of no feeding. Feeding them items count as food. All pets CAN die if they get hit by attacks. BUT they will actively avoid boulders, fires etc. They will avoid enemies EXCEPT for the Vargling. Dirty or hungry pets will not give you buffs.

This way, people will see that the Broodling is the best out of the critters, but is hard to get. Each critter has a certain buff for different playstyles. Broodling obviously favors Maxwell and Wicker, Giblet favors farmers and builders, Kittykit for scouts, Glom glom as the "jack of all trades" and Vargling for DPSes cuz mo'dmg, right?

Each and every one of the pets can help you in your journey to survive. Maybe you die alot and can't survive insanity, then Vargling is great for beard hair. While they might seem pretty non-existent, players with pets compared to players without pets will find out that they have an easier/harder time depending if they know how to get food or not. Though Wigfrid players will ALWAYS find the Giblet to be useless.

This "update" will improve the usage of pets depending on your playstyle AND make pet users responsible for their pets. They can't just let the pet die since that would be a waste of resources. Plus, you have a feeling of mutualism instead of unneeded responsibilites. You care for the pet and in exchange the pet gives you items and buffs.

I feel that "Critters giving Items & Buffs all same time" it's just too much for just a small creature, and something like this could be complicated to add in the game.

So, I still thinking about something more passive and less posible to abuse by the players.

I too believe pests pets should remain purely aesthetical without any small buffs to player. But I think, beside being rot/garbage-food mobile disposal bins, they can be made a bit more marginally useful and interactional as well by the added possibility to give them items like twigs or the ever-piling up Bee stingers, actions for which pet can make in return a cute animation - yes, that would require making more animations to them.

PS: also not feeding them for long periods of time should amount to real repercussions aka pet leaving owner (or "expire" in a dramatic yet funny way, heh) - this will add even more meaningful (but not op) interactivity to pets.

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

interactional

i think this for sure is the keyword to keep in mind when making changes to pets. i just want them to be a fun addition not necessarily a passive aura carrier or something. 

i think garbage disposal + perishing/momentarily fainting until fed and a way to command their movement so u can leave them behind in a pen when u get tired of them following you around would be amazing! 

13 hours ago, Ohan said:

i think this for sure is the keyword to keep in mind when making changes to pets. i just want them to be a fun addition not necessarily a passive aura carrier or something. 

i think garbage disposal + perishing/momentarily fainting until fed and a way to command their movement so u can leave them behind in a pen when u get tired of them following you around would be amazing! 

I think that we shouldn't let them be garbage disposals. They would be the go to griefing tool for trolls. While yes, your idea is good, but we have to think BOTH ways when we are thinking of adding new things to DST: Will trolls utilise this mechanic? Will this actually benefit players? Will it make it so that they will actually get pets?. Pets being garbage disposal will easily fail question 1. While it will probably pass question 2 and 3, there is wayyyyy too much risk that a troll will utilise this mechanic. Fainting is good as it makes players care for them but it is a MUST that the pets don't behave like a leech. So i propose that a pet will faint if they are too hungry but will not die. Or maybe make it so that a pet will behave like a extra-adorable larva and will eat nearby edibles to satisfy their hunger. Maybe some pets can eat special items like the vargling can eat rot? Or the broodling can burn nearby objects to eat ash/charcoal? Anyway its up to the devs to decide! Maybe a new pig pet?

Archived