Don't Starve: Shipwrecked now available on Steam Early-Access

JoeW

We just launched Don't Starve Shipwrecked on Steam and buoy are our merms tired!

It's been a long time coming and here we are! While Don't Starve Together was still just a twinkle in Wilson's eye, our friends at Capy have been quietly plugging away at Shipwrecked with us for quite some time now. We’re all excited for you to come aboard; but first we wanted give you some quick details.

We've decided to release Shipwrecked in Early-Access because similar to the Reign of Giants expansion before it; Shipwrecked is a substantial amount of content. In fact, much larger. With new characters, biomes, items, creatures,recipes and water exploration; just about everything in Don't Starve Shipwrecked is new. However, we still have a little further to go; but first, we want to get your feedback about the game. Like Don't Starve, Reign of Giants and Don't Starve Together, it's important for us to really get a feel for what you think so we can adjust and adapt to your feedback. You should have a good, solid game in it’s current state; a great experience on it’s own.

Not everything is quite sea-worthy yet. As mentioned, the game is fully playable and nearly complete, but the new playable characters are still to come, as well as the "boss encounters” and some other cool things we have planned. Since we need to get a better sense of balance and feedback, we want to get everything in a good place before we get those in for official launch.

As many of you know, originally Don't Starve: Shipwrecked was originally being designed a standalone DLC completely separate from Don't Starve and players would not be able to move between Shipwrecked and the original game. Due to community response we have since changed course and we are now steering the ship toward integrating the experience so that you may move between worlds! This is still in the works and will not be immediately available and will likely be in a version closer to launch. We are certainly going to want to test this before the final launch version, so expect integration to come a few updates before final version sets sail. This is going to take a bit of time though, so we will need to tread water for a little while as we get that in order, but we'll let you know the progress on this before we pull up anchor.

We're not going to give an official date for the final launch of the game at this time. Frankly we tend to add in more new cool stuff that we didn't consider before your feedback, and since our priority is always having the best launch-ready game possible; we often choose to add more stuff rather than push things out just to hit a deadline. We are aiming for Spring 2016; but, that's mostly so we have something to aim for. In the end it's really just going to be when it's ready. We're going to try; but we care about delivering what we promised much more than hitting a date. We don’t consider a game ready when it’s “done”; we consider it “done” when it’s ready.

If you don't enjoy sailing into the uncharted territory of early-access, you might want to consider waiting until we launch the game fully before you dive in.

As we are aft to do, we will be hanging out here on the forums, lurking in streams and watching YouTube videos trawling for feedback and bug reports.

All ashore that's going ashore!
Klei Entertainment & Capy

FAQ

What platforms is early access available on?
Early access is available on Windows through Steam.

I use Mac/ Linux. Can I participate in early access?
Mac & Linux will not be supported for the initial December 1st launch.

I don’t use Steam. Can I still play during the early access period?
No. However, the final release of the game will be available for the standalone client.

Can I play Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked at the same time?
Yes, but not during early access. We're working on implementing this in a style similar to entering caves but it's not ready yet!

What is Don’t Starve: Shipwrecked?
Shipwrecked is an expansion for Don’t Starve. Wilson finds himself stranded in a tropical archipelago and must struggle to survive in this new world! Shipwrecked is being developed by CAPY and Klei Entertainment.

Do I need Reign of Giants?
No. Shipwrecked is compatible with and without Reign of Giants.

Will Shipwrecked work with DST?
An awesome idea, but right now Shipwrecked is single player only.

Is Shipwrecked coming to consoles/ mobile?
We’d love to, but right now we’re focused on making the PC version as good as it can be.

Want more info about Don’t Starve Shipwrecked? Check out the steam page here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/393010

So, if I want to play the early-access, I have to get it through Steam. That's OK.

Then, if I want the DRM-free copy (I have DS & RoG in that fashion), do I have to buy it again?

Or does that mean I should wait until its full release to buy it in order to avoid getting 2 copies? (I liked the fact that DS came with both versions at the cost of 1)

So, if I want to play the early-access, I have to get it through Steam. That's OK.

Then, if I want the DRM-free copy (I have DS & RoG in that fashion), do I have to buy it again?

Or does that mean I should wait until its full release to buy it in order to avoid getting 2 copies? (I liked the fact that DS came with both versions at the cost of 1)

As usual we will give you a key for the DRM free version in the future. But for now you have to go through steam while the game is in Early-Access. You will not need to buy it twice if you want the DRM free version in the future. 

Do first few seconds of the trailer remind anyone else of "Curse of Monkey Island" intro?

Also, trailer puzzle: yay or nay? Frankly, I didn't see anything suspicious, but then again I'm not the most observant of people.

As usual we will give you a key for the DRM free version in the future. But for now you have to go through steam while the game is in Early-Access. You will not need to buy it twice if you want the DRM free version in the future. 

Thanks, ordered :)

Pretty cool so far!

By the way, you should add some kind of item dug up from poison holes in the swampy places.

PRO TIP: DIG UP X MARKS THE SPOT PLACES!!!

Is there likely to also be an early-access Mac version, or will that wait until the launch?

The e-mail I received today from Klei about Shipwrecked said "Mac and Linux support is being worked on and will be coming in the Early-Access as soon as possible."

I am playing with wigfrid and when I try to make a second battle spear the game crashes. It happened a few times before I figured out that is what was causing it. Appreciate you guys, the beta looks amazing. It feels like a whole new game to me and a whole new way to don't starve

Not sure where to put feedback, so I'll leave it here.  These are just my first impressions, noting that this was my first run.

Pretty fun, overall.  It's interesting to be back in the position of not knowing exactly what to do.  Fortunate spawns allowed me to make it to 30 days.  I found a message in a bottle, which led me to a chest with a thulecite club, armor, and crown.  Those got put to good use later as a hail storm steadily drove me insane.  Found a volcano staff, as well, plus just a generally good spread of resources.  This allowed me to skip fairly quickly to making an armored boat, which allowed me to survive Charlie easily when my boat lantern went out.

The only big downside was the frequent falling volcano rocks.  I endured three or four courses of them in a short span of time before I basically gave up and one landed on Wilson.  I tried moving to a different part of the map, though I don't know if I didn't go far enough or if they fall on the entire map.  It's fairly disheartening to see so much of... everything... getting burned up and ruined by so many rock falls in such a short amount of time.  I don't know if I missed something in the crafting tab that would've helped, if I accidentally spawned volcanoes using the staff, if the game glitched, or if it's really meant to be this brutal.  The only thing that I found to give a little relief was to hop in a boat and hang out on the water, avoiding the waves generated when the rocks hit.

Looks good, but cant it just be integrated into basic world generation rather than having to "move between worlds"?

It will be weird if im on an island surrounded by water but  have to go to another world to build a boat or interact with any of it.

Also, will this be integrated into DST?

Can you please disclose more infor about that? You usually release the game on humble store, without regional prices, with a steam key and the drm-free version when available. This doesn't seem to be the case this time. Is it possible to add that like you did in the past? You have alredy the humble store widget, but it miss the Shipwreaked option. Through Steam you have regional price and I don't know how and where you'll provide the drm-free version. I would like to have it on the humble store like the base game.

trash

Stale Component Reference: GUID 228872, @C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/components/moisturelistener.lua:111Stale Component Reference: GUID 228875, @C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/components/moisturelistener.lua:111Stale Component Reference: GUID 228879, @C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/components/moisturelistener.lua:111Stale Component Reference: GUID 228885, @C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/components/moisturelistener.lua:111Stale Component Reference: GUID 228895, @C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/components/moisturelistener.lua:111Stale Component Reference: GUID 228904, @C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/components/moisturelistener.lua:111

P.S. Just crashed without any crash report even in log.txt

Archived