Don't Starve: Shipwrecked now available on Steam Early-Access

JoeW

When the game has local co-op I'll buy it.

And no one tell me to use LAN or a Mod because I don't have two computers, artificial split screen doesn't work right and looks bad, and the controls for the mod are pretty terrible and the mod never lets player two do anything.

But the mod proves that the devs could do it if they wanted to.

• Developer

Hi @MIK0

There is an official statement, in the FAQ in the ShipWrecked subforum

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59588-dont-starve-shipwrecked-early-access-faq/

No. However, the final release of the game will be available for the standalone client.

Hi @MIK0

There is an official statement, in the FAQ in the ShipWrecked subforum

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59588-dont-starve-shipwrecked-early-access-faq/

No. However, the final release of the game will be available for the standalone client.

Thanks for the reply.

I had already read that and doesn't answer my question. It only say that a drm-free version will be available later.

I felt it was an incomplete information and then JoeW replied to another users saying that you'll give the drm free version later, but how are you going to do that if the game is purchased through steam? 

You also inconvenience customers that have purchased your games from humble store until now. Even before you did early access (or beta) using the humble store widget. It first would contain the steam key and later it would provide the drm-free version. Win-Win. It feels only natural to keep doing that.

That's why the previous page I asked for clarification, with no result.

Can you please disclose more infor about that? You usually release the game on humble store, without regional prices, with a steam key and the drm-free version when available. This doesn't seem to be the case this time. Is it possible to add that like you did in the past? You have alredy the humble store widget, but it miss the Shipwreaked option. Through Steam you have regional price and I don't know how and where you'll provide the drm-free version. I would like to have it on the humble store like the base game.

• Developer

Hi @MIK0

It's basically because the frequency of updates during early access makes it unpractical. With Steam we can just push out an update automagically, with the standalone version we can't. It also means maintaining an additional target (or more, when OSX/Linux are added), while we rather have the focus on stabilizing and finishing the game itself first.

"but how are you going to do that if the game is purchased through steam? "

That I can't answer, I'm a mere programmer. But I'm fairly sure if Joe says that's what'll happen, he'll figure out a way.

Thanks for the reply.

I had already read that and doesn't answer my question. It only say that a drm-free version will be available later.

I felt it was an incomplete information and then JoeW replied to another users saying that you'll give the drm free version later, but how are you going to do that if the game is purchased through steam? 

You also inconvenience customers that have purchased your games from humble store until now. Even before you did early access (or beta) using the humble store widget. It first would contain the steam key and later it would provide the drm-free version. Win-Win. It feels only natural to keep doing that.

That's why the previous page I asked for clarification, with no result.

Hey there. Just to clarify here.

For DS and RoG, we sold on Humble store before they came out officially on early access, but what was given was a steam key; not a standalone client.

Hi @MIK0

It's basically because the frequency of updates during early access makes it unpractical. With Steam we can just push out an update automagically, with the standalone version we can't. It also means maintaining an additional target (or more, when OSX/Linux are added), while we rather have the focus on stabilizing and finishing the game itself first.

"but how are you going to do that if the game is purchased through steam? "

That I can't answer, I'm a mere programmer. But I'm fairly sure if Joe says that's what'll happen, he'll figure out a way.

Please, read carefully. I posted the same request in two different way and still got a reply to something different. It's not my language and I apologize for not being clear, but please understand that it's frustrating to see a request morphed that way.

I never asked you to go out of your way to provide and updated standalone version of the early access. What I said is to do exactly what you did until recently with all of your games. Humble Store widget that grant both steam key and a standalone version. The steam version is immediatly available and updated as the game is being developed. The standalone get released when the game is ready and found under the humble store purchase page on the customer's account and updated regularly. 

So no need to do nothing more.

Hey there. Just to clarify here.

For DS and RoG, we sold on Humble store before they came out officially on early access, but what was given was a steam key; not a standalone client.

I beg you to check because clearly that's not true. I purchased DS and RoG before release and early in developement and one reason was that both steam key and standalone version was granted for the same purchase (the other is that I had faith in you). DS was first sold as early access beta. I have the humble store page in front of me right now. Actually you still sell those game with the same formula even after the game was released. So it's nothing new to you even if apparently you don't remember.

Also, I'm still curious about what you promised to the other user some post ago. You promised that you would have provide a standalone version to all the customers that purchased the steam version. How's that gonna happen?

Should I start to worry that a company with so many years of good games and customer friendly decisions is starting to take a dark path? Please say no!

Has this something to do with the fact that you are not the only developer of this expansion?

Thank you for your time and I hope your memory come back :-)

I still need a reply to my question. Up until now I only received an incorrect information and no real answer. I understand that the forum is not constantly monitored, especially now with the holidays, but still a pending discussion left alone is not a good sign. Something has changed.

What did we not answer?

It will probably work the same as we have done it in the past, you will use the steam key to download the standalone client -- http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/articles/1126155

Up until now you said that you never provided the standalone drm-free version on humble bundle, which is obviously not true. And up until now I have always purchased don't starve and its expansion (and many other Klei products) using the humble store widget that provided both standalone drm-free (an installer which must be updated regularly) and a steam key (in particular for both don't starve and reign of giants). You said this isn't true, but it is. That's why I asked why you did it different this time. And it is true that you did different than in the past, now you only offer the steam version.

Now that I know that I could use the steam key the other way, which I didn't need to do until now, it is more clear to me. That's the explanation I was looking for.

On February 15, 2016 at 0:58 AM, Capcookieslap said:

i have a question. do the people that have the game get dont starve shipwrecked DLC for free like RoG? Or do we have to buy the DLC for it. please help me with this.

You will have to pay for the Shipwrecked DLC (well worth the price tag of $5). RoG was not a free DLC either. Are you thinking of getting DST, which is it's own game, for free for already having the original Don't Starve?

Archived