Jump to content

My Opinions on Each Characters Uses in Hamlet


Recommended Posts

Wolfgang can totally breeze through the Queen Womant boss by killing eggs before they hatch (buy cutlass supreme/dark sword), and food is in large supply. There's many things to fight in general so extra damage is great.

Wickerbottom can get net sanity gain off Lotuses with farm book if you have 3+ lotus' in range, which seems to be likely(?); mass farming potential. (Haven't tested with nettles, would be insanely strong?) Easy feathers for magic machine with bird book. Books are very easy to make in general. It's rather hard to get silk for tents, so no sleep is not a big loss, actually. Sadly, no tentacle book...

A more specific review on Wendy after playing more; overall Wendy seems very strong. Just try not to let multiple mature flytraps build up in areas you keep going to, that's the main thing killing Abigail in my games.

  • Those pesky Rabid Beetle swarms melt on her, as does everything in the ruins, and brambles in Lush season.
  • When played reasonably, Abigail can kill anything without dying (if you help attack!!) except 3+ guards or a large swarm of flytraps. Abigail will tank most of the damage for you. Just don't aggro several things at once.
  • Send Abigail after platapines to keep your lotuses uneaten! (These guys suck 'cause they never despawn, and too fast to catch)
  • Abigail is a gnat magnet, but they won't leave and get on Wendy unless she dies; it's mostly just silly
  • Abigail will aggro on aggressive guards if you've stolen things, but also makes it very easy to kill one at a time. Easiest halberds ever.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Tumalu said:

Wolfgang can totally breeze through the Queen Womant boss by killing eggs before they hatch (buy cutlass supreme/dark sword), and food is in large supply. There's many things to fight in general so extra damage is great.

Wickerbottom can get net sanity gain off Lotuses with farm book if you have 3+ lotus' in range, which seems to be likely(?); mass farming potential. (Haven't tested with nettles, would be insanely strong?) Easy feathers for magic machine with bird book. Books are very easy to make in general. It's rather hard to get silk for tents, so no sleep is not a big loss, actually. Sadly, no tentacle book...

A more specific review on Wendy after playing more; overall Wendy seems very strong. Just try not to let multiple mature flytraps build up in areas you keep going to, that's the main thing killing Abigail in my games.

  • Those pesky Rabid Beetle swarms melt on her, as does everything in the ruins, and brambles in Lush season.
  • When played reasonably, Abigail can kill anything without dying (if you help attack!!) except 3+ guards or a large swarm of flytraps. Abigail will tank most of the damage for you. Just don't aggro several things at once.
  • Send Abigail after platapines to keep your lotuses uneaten! (These guys suck 'cause they never despawn, and too fast to catch)
  • Abigail is a gnat magnet, but they won't leave and get on Wendy unless she dies; it's mostly just silly
  • Abigail will aggro on aggressive guards if you've stolen things, but also makes it very easy to kill one at a time. Easiest halberds ever.

I would like to thank Abigail, since I would never have reached day 100 without her.

 

So I just got out of the ruins and my lantern was low, not to mention it was very close to night time. I tried to rush to the pig city border guard as quickly as I could, Abigail on my tail.

All of a sudden I heard something,

 *moustache beetle noises*

and so, I ran as fast as I could, night time still quickly approaching alongside the 30-40 beetles on my back.

 

Abigail, luckily, was there to save me. When all hope seeme lost, Abigail killed all of the beetles, dropping enough light bulbs to refill my lantern to the max as the moon rose above my head and I thought to myself:

"Holy **** that was close"

And that ends my story about how Abigail saved my life. I am currently on day 105 and counting. Thanks Abby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I messed up and lost my Wendy save (drowned using a cork boat and was instantly hit with vampire bat attack after my effigy respawn... RIP day 92 save), so here's some WX comments.

-WX is -not- immune to the poisonous gas jungle, at all. He does not lose HP from the poison status (e.g. eating tubers) but he still loses sanity and probably gets the 20% slower hunger loss.

-WX has a VERY powerful start despite the low base stats, because he can overcharge at will, and stack a bunch of lightning so the effect lasts an insanely long time; you should overcharge the second you find thunderbirds, stack all the charges you can, and then pick a lot of flowers. It's easy to run from shadows when you're overcharged, and it only takes FOUR flowers to de-aggro them. Make a stalking stick and you'll get SO much done SO fast it's crazy, it completely makes up for 100 base stats. I had the entire first island fully explored, base necessities set up, and a farm of ~18 nettles and sprinkler done at the end of first season.

-Gears won't turn up often and only in the Palace city's shops, so you should let the BFB kidnap you the first time he appears to get the Royal Scepter and trade it for a Key To The City right away, so you can craft Sty Oddities in a convenient spot and check for gears regularly.

Honestly the worst part is that I'm gonna be so spoiled with this insane movement speed, everyone else is gonna feel like slow mode. XD

edit:Okay, maybe taking instant BFB isn't super safe... his island was attached to fountain island and I died because there was ~50 rapid beetles swarming whilst I was trying to find the ruins back to starter island x.x;; Rolled a 3-sided die and got the worst option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Tumalu said:

I messed up and lost my Wendy save (drowned using a cork boat and was instantly hit with vampire bat attack after my effigy respawn... RIP day 92 save), so here's some WX comments.

-WX is -not- immune to the poisonous gas jungle, at all. He does not lose HP from the poison status (e.g. eating tubers) but he still loses sanity and probably gets the 20% slower hunger loss.

-WX has a VERY powerful start despite the low base stats, because he can overcharge at will, and stack a bunch of lightning so the effect lasts an insanely long time; [...]

-Gears won't turn up often and only in the Palace city's shops, so you should let the BFB kidnap you the first time he appears to get the Royal Scepter and trade it for a Key To The City right away, so you can craft Sty Oddities in a convenient spot and check for gears regularly.

Honestly the worst part is that I'm gonna be so spoiled with this insane movement speed, everyone else is gonna feel like slow mode. XD

Something tells me that DatShadowJK didn't check WX-78 before writing the opinions about that character. No need for Hunger at all (Eating Tuber and get the 20% reduced Hunger buff), free Health (Every Thunderbird restores 300 Health, eating Tuber restores 8 Health), +50% Movement Speed (Theoretically reduces your need for hunger again by 1/3 (33%) because you reach your destination 50% faster and need only 2/3 of the time), Immunity against Charlie (Getting hit by Thunderbirds 24/7).

Rain is not a problem at all because you always can restore your health using Thunderbirds and "SPOILED FOOD IS STILL GOOD.".

One of WX-78s problems is his sanity by being poisoned, getting Overcharged, having 15/15 Upgrades (300 Sanity), being attacked by Gnat Swarms which means that you'll be haunted by Shadow Creatures most of the time so try to get a chest to stack your Nightmare Fuel as soon as possible. On the other hand: Pumpkin Cookies are pretty cheap in the store and having only 100 Max Sanity at the beginning allows you to get rid of your insanity pretty quick.

About his early low max health: There's no need for a Torch during the night so you can replace your head/chest slot with an armor item.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/12/2018 at 5:53 PM, G e n e s i s said:

I don't have it my in my heart to harm those pig people. :(

Spoiler

I dont have a heart anymore after I’ve beaten the genocide run in Undertale 4 times

 

6 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Something tells me that DatShadowJK didn't check WX-78 before writing the opinions about that character.

Your not wrong, I didn’t experiment so much on WX to know everything but I had a little understanding

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's easy to hunt dungbeetles with Willbur speed. Catching birds is easy thanks to plop-throw.

On the other hand it's still annoying to use excess feces as fuel because of autoequip, and throwing plop back at pigs who just paid you for cleaning the street doesen't do anything, wich might hurt your morale IRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would think Warly has pretty much nothing going on for him. 

First off, his hunger debuff is a huge disadvantage. Given how food is an abundance in Hamlet, his need for varying dishes and the nerf on non-dish food means that he has to stand around and wait for his crock pot more often. And as mentioned how raw food is not that hard to find, one really can just cook them over fire without having to wait/gather specific food for a dish, and get the restoration needed. 

As mentioned, Warly has to gather specific food items for dishes, that can result in the increase of difficulty of inventory space management since they can take up space. Not to mention the crock pot itself. 

Stat-wise, the only plus for him is a higher sanity cap (which isn't necessarily a good thing for some). The hunger cap for him is offset by his hunger drain and the refined palate debuff.

Warly is designed to be a nomad character, yet many characters can nomad quite better than him, without constantly having to worry what to eat next and what ingredient to specifically search for, wasting time and effort to cover for what other characters can easily overcome. I would say it's even more so in SW. (Yes jellyfish I'm looking at you)

I love Warly and I have played him for quite a bit. May be I am wrong on some aspects but I am quite sure that he isn't that good of a character. I am open to new insights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i personaly use Wilbur. As he can run fast, you'ere able to early rush jungles (then to gathe idols, ropes or anything else); You can also steal safely cause you can easily run away. He can use pooh as a weapon, wich is not so usefull  but pooh is pretty present is the game and easy to have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, Wilbur should be pretty good. His speed debuff is ~8% on normal walking but 33% faster than normal characters when running, and this game isn't all tiny islands like shipwreck so you can get some mileage out of it.

Plus, poop toss stuns birds so you can collect your azure feathers for a magic machine (meat effigy!!) way more easily and aggro platapines before they snag your lotus'.

Other SW characters? Walani is terrible, she can't even craft her surfboard (that's a bug to fix, imo), has faster hunger drain, and a max health penalty. In exchange for... drying off -slightly- faster. Woodlegs obviously is awful because he's about sailing as much as you can, but this isn't Shipwrecked so he's just a permanent sanity drain penalty. Warly is OK because you can buy abundant food resources and there's lots of good recipes to restore health/sanity, but there's also a lot of food items you can't crockpot in this game.

Warbucks is really good. It takes only 20 oincs to get to 12.5 sanity a minute to totally ignore the stat (as long as you don't eat ~10 raw foods at once, you can regen past that penalty too!) and this lets you power through wetness sanity loss and even hay fever/gas mask. Sanity is actually a problem in this DLC and Warbucks laughs in Maxwell's face with normal max hp.

Wilba on the other hand seems... bad. She loses a big 7.5 sanity per minute in dusk/night, with only 100 max, and much of the game that's half or more of the day clock, so 30+ sanity loss daily out of 100. In the new season she's gonna be losing 60 sanity a DAY (out of 100!!), and a nettle farm before first lush season sounds practically required as she can't stomach the loss from a gas mask or sneezing. She can harvest stuff for free and eat monster meat/lasagna... but food isn't a big deal in hamlet and you can just dig/hammer and relocate the pig's special farms to your base as anyone, manure is abundant as heck.

I feel like Wilba is actually intended to be a challenge character, and her royalty perks (free pig farm harvesting and gifts from pigs) are just to focus a slightly different playstyle than normal, not to actually make her Good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Tumalu said:

Wilba on the other hand seems... bad. She loses a big 7.5 sanity per minute in dusk/night, with only 100 max, and much of the game that's half or more of the day clock, so 30+ sanity loss daily out of 100. In the new season she's gonna be losing 60 sanity a DAY (out of 100!!), and a nettle farm before first lush season sounds practically required as she can't stomach the loss from a gas mask or sneezing. She can harvest stuff for free and eat monster meat/lasagna... but food isn't a big deal in hamlet and you can just dig/hammer and relocate the pig's special farms to your base as anyone, manure is abundant as heck.

I feel like Wilba is actually intended to be a challenge character, and her royalty perks (free pig farm harvesting and gifts from pigs) are just to focus a slightly different playstyle than normal, not to actually make her Good.

That sounds like WX-78 is way better than Wilba. He has almost the same abilities like Wilba (can outrun guards, is almost always insane, doesn't suffers from spoilage (& Monster Meat if insane and near a Thunderbird)) but he has also some additional abilities which make him better than Wilba. @DatShadowJK WX-78 deserves better than okay if Wilba has okay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually playing WX was a little harder than expected. Even with a lightning rod I was -still- getting hit by lightning in my base area sometimes, and there's a lot of lightning in humid season in general. I guess I should have just been wearing a protective hat, but I had to deal with low sanity like... a lot, and getting a bat ambush in the middle of it got me killed whilst I was trying to get effigy stuff going z.z

That being said, his start is still insanely strong with the speed bonus, and in the end you probably just stop overcharging 24/7 (just sometimes, like for a boss) and enjoy your massively inflated stats instead. Gears takes awhile, but not forever once you build the shop in your base to check it regularly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Walani takes less of a sanity penalty for wetness. Not that this makes her good in Hamlet, but it’s a plus. The surfboard is underrated in SW. it’s so cheap you can use them to hop islands and leave them all over the map. A rando surfboard has saved me more than once in my Walani run. She’s also just the most likeable character in my opinion. Everything  about her is appealing.

it would be nice if a water base were possible in Hamlet, but the mosquitos, frogs and damage from hippo waves probably makes it impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surfboard would actually be legitimately OK in Hamlet where it's a cheap fast speed option that you can put in your inventory. Not really worth the low max hp and extra hunger since it's purely for lotus gathering, but it'd be something. Right now you can't even make another one tho @.@ After that I'd rank her as "Below Average" still... I love her personality, but I'm not sure why they gave her extra hunger and an hp penalty when her perks are low impact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Just a question... what advantages does the Surf Board have over the Cork Bowl Canoe?

It's faster, doesn't use your hand slot (e.g. use a torch at night, stalking stick for more speed) and is arguably easier to craft, presuming it was made craftable. It also has... slightly more hp, 100 instead of 80.

1 minute ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Are the strengths each character has in the Aporkalypse also relevant?

? No one's particularly better or not at the aporkalypse. If anything, right now there's literally no reason to ever let it trigger in the first place. That'll probably change eventually, but then it'll mostly just be "Wolfgang's damage bonus lets him kill heralds a lot easier."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tumalu said:

It's faster, doesn't use your hand slot (e.g. use a torch at night, stalking stick for more speed) and is arguably easier to craft, presuming it was made craftable. It also has... slightly more hp, 100 instead of 80.

? No one's particularly better or not at the aporkalypse. If anything, right now there's literally no reason to ever let it trigger in the first place. That'll probably change eventually, but then it'll mostly just be "Wolfgang's damage bonus lets him kill heralds a lot easier."

I see, thank you so much for clarifying :)

there's also Abigail having perma-40 damage, Wigfrid thriving off hordes of bats, and Werebeaver being nigh-permanent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Permanent werebeaver is mostly a BAD thing because you can't STOP (you can keep being beaver on purpose just fine without full moons), Abigail's just gonna get annihilated by a herald, and the bat waves are so big that even Wigfrid couldn't possibly -want- them. XD

Aporkalypse is really bad and the goal is entirely just "don't let it happen, ever". Even if they add Herald drops, you'll just kill a couple and then -immediately- turn it back off. XD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tumalu said:

Permanent werebeaver is mostly a BAD thing because you can't STOP (you can keep being beaver on purpose just fine without full moons), Abigail's just gonna get annihilated by a herald, and the bat waves are so big that even Wigfrid couldn't possibly -want- them. XD

Aporkalypse is really bad and the goal is entirely just "don't let it happen, ever". Even if they add Herald drops, you'll just kill a couple and then -immediately- turn it back off. XD

I see XD Once more, thanks for enlightening me :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Tumalu said:

It's faster, doesn't use your hand slot (e.g. use a torch at night, stalking stick for more speed) and is arguably easier to craft, presuming it was made craftable. It also has... slightly more hp, 100 instead of 80.

? No one's particularly better or not at the aporkalypse. If anything, right now there's literally no reason to ever let it trigger in the first place. That'll probably change eventually, but then it'll mostly just be "Wolfgang's damage bonus lets him kill heralds a lot easier."

if only Abigail could wear hats, she could be equipped with football helmets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another reason to play Warbucks:

If you're good enough at getting money you can survive the entire lush season on Warbucks's sanity regen. If you have at least 100 oincks you can regenerate sneezed sanity faster then your character sneezes. Of course you'll still drop items but i don't find that that annoying tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With just 20 oincs Warbucks will out-regen the sanity loss from a Gas Mask, so it's not too hard to avoid the sneezing either. These go for Maxwell too, but he's not easily usable until they fix the bug where Magic Flower eats 30 max hp on reloads. (Technically I think you can dig up and replant the flower each time you reload, though)

Wickerbottom's books aren't very useful in Hamlet after all, after I did a whole world as her... good start, but free science machine is a non-perk after several days in. Between the pig farms and pig shops you can get tons of berry bushes, manure, farm foods very easily so growth book isn't necessary, and she can't make tentacle book right now. There's not good sleep targets IMO, unlike RoG giants/mactusks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The infinite overcharges you can get from WX means you don't need any light items to go into ruins, which is a big perk since it allows you to explore with a football helmet + a weapon in hand, not to mention how fast you move during it. These overcharges stack, so you can stack up for many days in one go, each bird zapps you 2-3 times when you go near.

The overcharges are also pretty good to farm nightmare fuel since they drain your sanity, heal you up, and the movement + perma light gives you a nice edge to clear the night monster easily.

The rain protection is easy to avoid, just equip football helmet + umbrella, both which are fairly easy to obtain.

Gears might not be so easy to obtain early game, you need to find the 2nd island. However, when you do, it's just easy mode going forward. They cost 10 oincs each, and you can upgrade up to 400 HP lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...