My Opinions on Each Characters Uses in Hamlet

So, this is just a post on my findings of experimenting with characters in Hamlet.

I will update often on my finds. Please keep in mind this is a little opinionated and you may not like what you see 

Wilson:

Spoiler

- Good because no disadvantages (like literally any other version of this game)

- Easier method of farming beard hair than having to fight 20 Spider Gorillas at once because of their absurd reproducing system 

- No outstanding advantages

Neutral

Willow:

Spoiler

- Lighter is mostly useless because of the free light in the city

- Hayfever must be managed in Lush Season because she can light random fires

- Being invulnerable to fire, she can use this to her ability to ward off hordes of monsters

Not Suggested

Wolfgang:

Spoiler

TBA

Wendy:

Spoiler

- Abigail can defend you in the ruins by fighting any hostile monsters

- Abigail can destroy swarms of smaller mobs

- Gorillas and hippos can be tanked by Abigail while you help her

- Abigail can attack Brambles easily providing a free path

- Abigail can accidentally aggro onto things you don't want like heavy swarms of Spider Monkeys

- Gnats like Abigail's spooky light. Pretty annoying :p

- Abigail can trigger ruins traps making it a must to always wear armour there

Okay (Thank you @Tumalu)

WX-78:

Spoiler

- Rain comes too early in the game

- Humid season is painful, you must be indoors throughout the fog the entire time. Fog wetness is no avoidable

- Thunderbirds = easy overload and kinda negate the effects of rain

- Gears aren’t the most easily obtainable resource in Hamlet

- Doesn’t lose HP from poison status, but will still decrease sanity

- Consuming Tuber can slow down hunger drain

- Eats food when its stale and spoiled w/o penalty

- If you upgrade alot can be pretty harmful for gaining back sanity.

- Becomes sonic when you overcharge and use a walking stick

Okay 

Wickerbottom:

Spoiler

- Early tier of science, backpacks are essential because of the tons of things you find in Hamlet

- No sleep, sanity is a hard one to manage in Hamlet if unprepared (Tip: Farm Lotuses, and cook them over a fire. 15 sanity)

- Able to make an early walking stick if you farm Snaptooth Flytraps (the ones that don't move)

- If you happen to kill a Bandit in the city, use the hat to mass reproduce berries in the farm using the book, and profit off of +4 oincs each person who buys berries

- Food like asparagus and aloe spoil early, be careful, Wickerbottom hates stale and spoilt food

Good (no this isn't the opinion of a Wickerbottom S tier edgy rick fan)

Woodie:

Spoiler

- Lucy is an advantage, flint is somewhat hard to find as the only way to find it is cave clefts and stone slabs, so its reassuring to be able to get wood early

- Werebeaver can be a problem if unprepared (hide your oincs in your bag so guards will not steal it if your in the city)

- Werebeaver can be used effectively to fight the Iron Hulks because you don't actually get damaged. Alloy and oincs for days my friends

- Woodie can transform indoors, beware

Good

Maxwell:

Spoiler

- 75 health, an disadvantage since the release of him, don't freak out

- Hey look, a free purple gem AND nightmare fuel. Sell them both (nightmare fuel if you find the palace), if the roc comes you can get a purple gem back from mining the petrified eggs on its nest

- Stealing from farms and mines is a risky move because of your low health

- Sanity regenerates fast and can negate drain , and this is an advantage because of hayfever and wetness from the fog

- If your experienced and want to fight Shadow Monsters, forget the statement above. Equip those starting items and stand in a safe spot in the dark!

Good

Wes 'The Overpowered':

Spoiler

- bes character

Better than every other character

Wigfrid:

Spoiler

- Battle cry still takes effect like in every other DLC

- Meat as a food source is in abundance, and filler is easily bought in shops and can be stolen. Eating monster meat can negate the effects if you kill a mob after

- Lush season is pretty hard. Wigfrid is unable to eat Nettles or Seed Pods and her only way of surviving Hayfever is a Gas Mask or a Oscillating Fan. Fans are only used for indoors safe havens and aren't portable, and are expensive to craft. Gas Masks reduce your sanity by -10/min

- Since pig skin is in abundance, and gold is rather rare, her helmet is useless

- Battle Spear will be outclassed by late game weapons

Below Average

(Thank you @Knackname)

Webber:

Spoiler

- Comes with a Shamlet, which he must wear ALWAYS when going through Pig Cities, meaning he cannot wear other necessary items to survive other seasons

- Cannot befriend Spider Gorillas

- 100 Sanity

- Can eat monster meat (which is very easy to get in Hamlet)

- Can eat monster lasagne from the shop for two oincs

- Still comes with spider eggs for easier silk farming

- Silk Beard

Neutral

Walani:

Spoiler

-Surfboard can be used on ponds, and is portable

- Surfboard cannot be crafted unless you return to an SW world

- Dries off quickly, making Humid Season not so bad

- Hunger drains faster than normal characters

- Lower health is dangerous. You can fall victim to Ruin traps pretty easily.

Neutral (Thank you @TalZahn )

Warly:

Spoiler

- Chef pouch and Crockpot are good always

- Spare food is around the entire map

- Meat is easy to obtain

- Grocer allows you to buy so much food for your cooking needs. She also able to stock melons and bananas for buying and regaining sanity

- Steamed Ham sandwiches are an easy food to make and restore Heath easily. All you need is one Meat and other ingredients

- Rainforest trees drop eggs for Pierogis

- You can't eat the same food every day, making fights where you take damage a bit hard, and will also fill up inventory space

- He loses hunger fast (33%) 

Good (Thank you @G e n e s i s)

Woodlegs:

Spoiler

TBA

Wilbur:

Spoiler

TBA

Warbucks:

Spoiler

- Free Ball Pein Hammer and Magnifying Glass at the start. More oincs!!

- Oincs will regenerate sanity

- Reduced durability used from Adventuring Tools

- Lose 15 Sanity each time you consume a non crock pot dish. This is annoying at the start

Neutral

Wilba:

Spoiler

- Is a pig, meaning that she can eat any food and not experience effects

- 100 Sanity

- Loses sanity fast during dusk and night

- Can 'steal' from pig guards because she is royalty (doesn't mean she can attack them or any citizens, that's just mean)

Okay

But hey, if you wanna play as you want, do that. No-one is stopping you

40 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

Is Webber's 100 sanity supposed to be a bad trait? 

Depend on your experience with don't starve.

For new players it's a downside.

For experienced players it's an advantage at early game and a nuisance at worst in the end game. 

Willow's Lighter lost some advantage because there is pretty much light in a standard city. Also, there is the annoying vanishing light bug in the ruins/ant hills. But using the lighter while wearing gas mask is still good stat.

Sanity management becomes pretty important because uncontrolled sanity fire is awful in your house full of burnable object and these big grass groups. 

However, fire bathing are very good against bats and rapid beetles.

Overall a difficult character for beginners. I was very prone to city-sitting in lush seasons to not accidentally burn the nature by insanity (I hate that). To my surprise, I didn't checked whether brambles burn, which would be fatal:D

11 hours ago, DatShadowJK said:

So, this is just a post on my findings of experimenting with characters in Hamlet.

I will update often on my finds. Please keep in mind this is a little opinionated and you may not like what you see 

Wilson:

Hide contents

- Good because no disadvantages (like literally any other version of this game)

- Easier method of farming beard hair than having to fight 20 Spider Gorillas at once because of their absurd reproducing system 

- No outstanding advantages

Neutral

Willow:

Hide contents

TBA

Wolfgang:

Hide contents

TBA

Wendy:

Hide contents

TBA

WX-78:

Hide contents

- Rain comes too early in the game

- Humid season is painful, you must be indoors throughout the fog the entire time. Fog wetness is not avoidable

- Thunderbirds = easy overload

- Gears are hard to find

- Can traverse through Gas Rainforests and eat Tubers without penalty

Okay

Wickerbottom:

Hide contents

- Early tier of science, backpacks are essential because of the tons of things you find in Hamlet

- No sleep, sanity is a hard one to manage in Hamlet if unprepared (Tip: Farm Lotuses, and cook them over a fire. 15 sanity)

- Able to make an early walking stick if you farm Snaptooth Flytraps (the ones that don't move)

- If you happen to kill a Bandit in the city, use the hat to mass reproduce berries in the farm using the book, and profit off of +4 oincs each person who buys berries

- Food like asparagus and aloe spoil early, be careful, Wickerbottom hates stale and spoilt food

Good (no this isn't the opinion of a Wickerbottom S tier edgy rick fan)

Woodie:

Hide contents

- Lucy is an advantage, flint is somewhat hard to find as the only way to find it is cave clefts and stone slabs, so its reassuring to be able to get wood early

- Werebeaver can be a problem if unprepared (hide your oincs in your bag so guards will not steal it if your in the city)

- Werebeaver can be used effectively to fight the Iron Hulks because you don't actually get damaged. Alloy and oincs for days my friends

Good

Maxwell:

Hide contents

- 75 health, an disadvantage since the release of him, don't freak out

- Hey look, a free purple gem AND nightmare fuel. Sell them both (nightmare fuel if you find the palace), if the roc comes you can get a purple gem back from mining the petrified eggs on its nest

- Stealing from farms and mines is a risky move because of your low health

- Sanity regenerates fast and can negate drain , and this is an advantage because of hayfever and wetness from the fog

- If your experienced and want to fight Shadow Monsters, forget the statement above. Equip those starting items and stand in a safe spot in the dark!

Good

Wes 'The Overpowered':

Hide contents

- bes character

Better than every other character

Wigfrid:

Hide contents

TBA

Webber:

Hide contents

- Comes with a Shamlet, which he must wear ALWAYS when going through Pig Cities, meaning he cannot wear other necessary items to survive other seasons

- Cannot befriend Spider Gorillas

- 100 Sanity

- Can eat monster meat (which is very easy to get in Hamlet)

- Can eat monster lasagne from the shop for two oincs

- Still comes with spider eggs for easier silk farming

Neutral

Walani:

Hide contents

TBA

Warly:

Hide contents

TBA

Woodlegs:

Hide contents

TBA

Wilbur:

Hide contents

TBA

Warbucks:

Hide contents

- Free Ball Pein Hammer and Magnifying Glass at the start. More oincs!!

- Oincs will regenerate sanity

- Reduced durability used from Adventuring Tools

- Lose 10 Sanity each time you consume a non crock pot dish. This is annoying at the start

Neutral

Wilba:

Reveal hidden contents

- Is a pig, meaning that she can eat any food and not experience effects

- 100 Sanity

- Loses sanity fast during dusk and night

- Can 'steal' from pig guards because she is royalty (doesn't mean she can attack them or any citizens, that's just mean)

Okay

But hey, if you wanna play as you want, do that. No-one is stopping you

You forgot a couple of parts about Warbucks: He is able to completely negate all forms of sanity drain including night and Hayfever. He also has an advantage at the start of the game because he can chisel statues early on (allowing for quick and easy gold). Also he looses 15 sanity not 10 (which doesn’t matter when you can generate 50 sanity per minute). 

7 hours ago, Drewey09 said:

You forgot a couple of parts about Warbucks: He is able to completely negate all forms of sanity drain including night and Hayfever. He also has an advantage at the start of the game because he can chisel statues early on (allowing for quick and easy gold). Also he looses 15 sanity not 10 (which doesn’t matter when you can generate 50 sanity per minute). 

Already included sanity gain,

Also already wrote that he comes with a starter ball pein hammer and magnifying glass

added that +15 sanity doe

I see Wigfrid is still TBA so I'll drop a few comments:

-As in every mode her extra attack damage and ability to regain health and sanity from combat is great

-Your only food source being meat isn't a problem due to Hamlets abundance of monster meat, pikos being incredibly easy to farm for morsels and infinite filler being sold from shops (1 berry and a monster meat can get you everything you need for meatballs) but can be a little annoying early game before you have access to a crock pot. Early game it's a good idea to farm some leafy meat in the jungles.

-The lush season is a huge drawback for her. Not being able to eat tea pods or nettles and the gas mask draining sanity on its own means there's no mobile way to avoid sanity loss and sneezing. Oscillating fans work wonders making your shanty a safe haven from hay fever but can be difficult to make by the first season. They require an alchemy engine, 2 alloy requiring a smelter (which itself needs 6 cut stone, 4 boards and a red gem), 2 doodads and 1 gears. In my experience from the moment you spawn you'll want to rush to make a fan. Even with the fan it means that if you want to stay sane you'll be stuck in the pig town about a third of the time. 

-Easy pig skin makes it pointless and more costly to craft her helmet

-her spear is okay, having twice the durability of a halberd and doing just 2 less damage, but is still outclassed by late game weapons 

-Below average, but I like playing her anyways

Walani is not bad for Hamlet.

-Surfboard actually used on ponds. Being portable makes it even better to quick gather reeds/lotuses. Can also surf on the waves made by the Hippopotamoose.
-Can't RECRAFT the surfboard unless you go back to Shipwrecked.
-Dries off super quick, foggy season (or the constant wetness of hamlet in general) does not effect her sanity very much.
-Hunger drains faster, so need a good supply of food constantly.
-Lower health pool can be a bit dangerous.

7 hours ago, Knackname said:

Your only food source being meat isn't a problem due to Hamlets abundance of monster meat, pikos being incredibly easy to farm for morsels and infinite filler being sold from shops (1 berry and a monster meat can get you everything you need for meatballs) but can be a little annoying early game before you have access to a crock pot. Early game it's a good idea to farm some leafy meat in the jungles.

How do you farm pikos? I’ve been pretty much ignoring them except when they go were

14 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

How do you farm pikos? I’ve been pretty much ignoring them except when they go were

They run to pick up pretty much anything you drop. Just drop a rock or something near a bunch of them and they run to go pick it up. When they get close hit them with a spear and kill them all. Morsels for days. Or just use traps, that way you can make tea with the orange ones.

Step 1: Put down a trap somewhere near a Piko.
Step 2: Move your character to the opposite side of the trap so the trap is in the middle of the Piko and you.
Step 3: Drop something like a rock. Piko will run to the rock to loot it.
Step 4: ???
Step5: Profit!

Warly main here and it's probable that he's better in here than in Shipwrecked

-Chef Pouch and Crockpot are a godsend early game but that basically goes for every DLC

-So much random food everywhere that's really easy to obtain and it brings so much variety early game

-The abundance of monster meat is really nice for the Crockpot and the Pogs are just easy morsels

#KillAllThePogs

-The Grocer provides more variety and lets you cook even more meals and eventually late-game all you need is a constant supply of oincs so you can just keep buying meat and live off of Meaty Stews

-The Grocer also provides enough ingredients for a bunch of sanity raising food like the Banana Pop and Meloncicle and you can buy ice to make a Spicy Vegetable Stinger which is another sanity raising food

-And if you need heals a new recipe called the Steamed Ham Sandwich is great for healing like a Pierogi so if you already ate a Pierogi just pop a Steamed Ham Sandwich into your face hole. However for this recipe you need 1 piece of normal meat, can't be a morsel or monster meat or anything else. The Hippopotamooses are fairly easy to kite and they drop 3-4 meat I can't exactly recall. Once you've made the Sandwich just use the meat for like another Sandwich or Pierogi

-Speaking of Pierogis the Rainforest trees drop eggs so that's easy healing food

Wendy's really solid. Unlike the normal game, you don't have to worry about stuff like "Oh, I'm going to a swamp, so Abigail is going to die now." There's no monsters that kick her butt, other than literal bosses; and since the bosses aren't seasonal menaces this time around, that's less of an issue as well.

• Abigail can single-handedly cover 100% of ruins fighting for you, without breaking a sweat.
  • Swarms of beetles go down like nothing to her AoE damage.
  • She'll tank gorilla/hippos for you while you help her beat them up, making it almost free, and at dusk/night she can do the same to a royal guard.
  • You can click to attack brambles and then cancel, and Abigail will go attack and open the path for free.

Downside:She triggers ruins traps. So ALWAYS wear armor in the ruins, but they'll miss you a lot of the time anyway. Gnats also -really- like her natural ghost light, but that's not a big deal.

1 hour ago, G e n e s i s said:

-And if you need heals a new recipe called the Steamed Ham Sandwich is great for healing like a Pierogi so if you already ate a Pierogi just pop a Steamed Ham Sandwich into your face hole. However for this recipe you need 1 piece of normal meat, can't be a morsel or monster meat or anything else. The Hippopotamooses are fairly easy to kite and they drop 3-4 meat I can't exactly recall. Once you've made the Sandwich just use the meat for like another Sandwich or Pierogi

Instead of killing Hippopotamooses wage pig war on guards

Archived