Please help > Do you want game speed optimizations(FPS)? (Poll)

61 members have voted

1. 1. Automation lag, Liquid/GasPipe cpu load, Pathfinding(incl. Jetpackers/Critters)

• Urgently, I want Klei to focus on FPS improvements
    • Can wait, I rather want new content

I`m so thorn on it. One one hand i really want them to fix the automation so it`s reliable as well as the jet pathing halving my fps everytime i use them. On the other hand new content is what i`m always most excited in games. It`s been really hard for me to decide. For now i went with content but i`d go with lag issues in the patch after the next one.

Can't we just wait for the first announced "polishing" patch, which should arrive in ~5 12 days (preview)?

Also, dont expect me to participate in a poll, with only those 2 options. Especially since klei said that new content will not be their main priority at the moment. So you only left us with one valid choice. Sneaky.

What about:

• I just want polishing as klei promised
  • I trust klei's judgement on setting their right scope for the next patch
  • I want more x (story, tutorial, missions, whatever)

1 minute ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

There hasn't been in 2 weeks I think? We are probably not going to see any hotfix before the preview branch.

But... the .. crashes...

@Brook has been going through the bug list last week and marked alot of them as fixed. So my bets are on a hotfix next week. Hopes up til the end!

Just now, blash365 said:

But... the .. crashes...

I feel your pain. Maybe it's better now to put the game aside for those 2 weeks and when the preview branch is there, just test test test, report report report. I'm sure it's clear to the developers things have to improve drastically with the coming update.

They did say the next patch or patches were going to have more performance.  I'd still expect some other content since the artists are going to do art stuff during it.

The simulation does start to slow down harder and harder over time like boiling a frog.

Since ONI is early access, I would say that it is ok that people first get lots of half-baked new content that is polished and optimized later. That way, the new content can first be tested from a gameplay perspective before additional work is invested for optimization.

However, it should be implemented in such a way that it can be optimized later. If too much content is added without regard for later optimization, then it may later become necessary to rewrite most of the game in order to get decent performance.

Personally, I would prefer the polishing and optimization of already existing content instead of new content being added.

If fast gaming is the focus and plenty of money is in the pockets, any i7 or i9 is a good choice.

ONI and most builder/colony/manager/simulation games scale to the linked list below, so one can decide between $ and FPS.

If AMD is the preferred choice, one can look up where each CPU stands in terms of single core threading.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

New content makes little sense if you cannot really use it because when you would use it in lategame the game is so slow that it makes little sense to continue.

Klei has spend much time with new features its really time to spend 3-6 month in stabilizing and balancing everything. Also it feels lite the rocketry catapulted the game to the first stage of "completeness" time to take a break before targeting the next stage.

FPS is important, but I'd rather have slow with all those features and feature-related-fixes we've been requesting for months/years (automated storage having two sliders, storage hysteresis, algae buff, steam turbine redesign, mapgen fixes - especially vent distribution, better dupe selection, QoL related to jobs like automated job chaining, etc. and so on) than fast and with just what we have now.

Still, I'm certain that many players are already prevented from playing at full speed in the endgame. My computer isn't strong, but it isn't a toaster, and I'm already getting pufts drowning on birth, teleporting dupes, dupes wasting hours waiting for critters at the station, idlers who pick jobs up as soon as the game is paused, and few other problems.

34 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

FPS is important, but I'd rather have slow with all those features and feature-related-fixes we've been requesting for months/years (automated storage having two sliders, storage hysteresis, algae buff, steam turbine redesign, mapgen fixes - especially vent distribution, better dupe selection, QoL related to jobs like automated job chaining, etc. and so on) than fast and with just what we have now.

Still, I'm certain that many players are already prevented from playing at full speed in the endgame. My computer isn't strong, but it isn't a toaster, and I'm already getting pufts drowning on birth, teleporting dupes, dupes wasting hours waiting for critters at the station, idlers who pick jobs up as soon as the game is paused, and few other problems.

I think most of your suggestions would have little to no impact on FPS, so why choose :D?

+1 to the topic

Why I agree pathfinding improvement is important:

1. Duplicants sometimes will go to somewhere dumb (like they’ll walk across shallow magma), however that is in the shortest way.

2. Critters roams everywhere and stuck inside doors for most cases. Poor critters :(

3. Da’n pipes. Why can’t you just split liquids into multiple ways? This is a big problem for ages.

And thanks to @babba’s invitation. That alerted me about this annoying pathfinding problem.

Referencing the September 2018 roadmap:

On 9/6/2018 at 1:56 PM, Bigfoot said:

After the next Upgrade, we'll be ... going back over the whole game to focus on polish, performance, balance and missing content. In addition to solving technical issues, ...

Each of these updates will be focused on content, stability, and user experience improvements.

This just means we're going to shift our attention to fixing issues and polishing up the experience.

Sounds to me like Klei is already focusing on FPS improvements rather than new content.

Now is a good time! There are lots of improvement ideas and bug reports that experienced players have provided that were likely skipped because they did not identify something critical or game-breaking.

One thing that Bigfoot mentioned in the roadmap that I didn't quote was game balance; I'm excited to see what they do here!

Personally, I read this poll as:

Option 1: Klei should do what they plan to do

Option 2: Klei should keep being awesome

So I'm going to choose option 1 because option 2 is a given :D

16 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I think most of your suggestions would have little to no impact on FPS, so why choose :D?

The whole idea of the thread seems to be "do we, as players, want Klei to focus on FPS or features". Dev time is often more expensive than CPU time.

8 hours ago, babba said:

Its about Klei improving: Automation lag, Liquid/GasPipe cpu load, Pathfinding(incl. Jetpackers/Critters)

I trust klei to work on whats important.  several things at once in fact.  its going to a matter of what gets fixed first not if. I'm sure they have people working on many aspects.. i have no idea how big the coding team is but given the size of the updates its not tiny.
reducing the save file size would have a bigger impact for me. it takes forever to save the later we go :)

For me always fps is the first choice. I stopped 5 < 1000 cycle game and 3 > 1000 cycle game for this reason, and many more (aka regolith, new stuf implemented unavailable in the old save, missing of water,  missing of dirt, to much heat)

Really not a fan of such biased and binary questions when obviously Klei has been successfully working on improving performance while polishing the game through adding QoL improvements and content as well as bug fixes.

I for sure would be disappointed if the next preview patch notes would just say that they improved FPS even if it is greatly plus a few bug fixes even (that are basically announced already). They have a week/two more time, their working speed is fast and previous upgrades sure were awesome.

FPS sure is important but so is other polish, the game still has much potential and FYI: It is common sense to deploy all content first before improving performance and polish, after all, new content and changes are what cause decreased performance and come with bug. Just look at 'em Shove Voles and Jet Packs. Setting priorities is important and such simple "all out FPS" is NG.

There is another reason to quickly tackle the FPS issue: whenever a preview branch is launched, the developers package it with debug tools which sends valuable data to Klei, which in turn can be used for optimization (including FPS boosts!). Usually these debug tools have a big hit on the FPS. During the last preview branch I could not run the game in any sensible fashion with those debug tools on. I ultimately had to disable them to properly test out features to give feedback and bug reports. I think many others disabled the debug tools or simply did not test out the preview branch. So that's a big loss for Klei. I can accept going from 30fps to 15fps, but going all the way down to 4-7fps, that's makes it undoable.

I would like to add that I had also invited people to this thread where I believed that they think that dedicated FPS improvement time should not be a dedicated focus. Somebody wrote in another thread about players disabling debug preview patches, around half a year ago I was playing without debug as a "Normal" player on the default map size - Already at that time back then the preview branch with Klei debug tools made my maps run at 0.1 FPS. If I would be forced to participate in previews with forced Klei testing tools, it would be impossible for me to participate.

I will be so daft and say that I know 98% of the common tricks to run a game fast, as recovering FPS always has been and still is a key element for me to play the game. I have spent over 1000 hours with this game and ONI hardware. I always have and had a focus on fast single core speed for the armada of games I usually play ( Cities Skylines for example ), but ONI has and still does require this extra mile on getting the very last out of top-notch hardware.

Its also unusual for me to spend so much time on hardware and forum effort, always having ONI in mind - So it is love.

Archived