Hamlet Running Slowly?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.  Though my laptop is older, it can run both DST and DS with no issue; but when I fired up Hamlet to give it a go, once it finally loaded, the actual movements were hella slow and laggy.  I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue and knows a way to perhaps fix it? 

Thanks. :)

I have also the same issue. Strangely, game is smoother on my laptop (which has a GTX 960M, 8GB of RAM) than on my Desktop computer (which has a GTX 1060 and 16GB of RAM). Disabling mods didn't change anything :/

Waiting for the optimization ;)

1 hour ago, coffee-and-cogs said:

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.  Though my laptop is older, it can run both DST and DS with no issue; but when I fired up Hamlet to give it a go, once it finally loaded, the actual movements were hella slow and laggy.  I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue and knows a way to perhaps fix it? 

This is due to the fact that Hamlet as a whole is WAY beefier in terms of sheer amount of sprites and scripts running on screen at any given moment.

I'd recommend turning a bunch of settings to none, but until they manage to fix that worldgen settings bug it won't work. :wilson_cry:

I tried turning everything off I just could, but it didn't help even a little. Actually, the game didn't even remember my changes, so birds and vines etc everything was still in the game, even tho I just turned them off... 

I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this, since I participated the closed beta. 

41 minutes ago, Tuju said:

I tried turning everything off I just could, but it didn't help even a little. Actually, the game didn't even remember my changes, so birds and vines etc everything was still in the game, even tho I just turned them off... 

I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this, since I participated the closed beta. 

WHAT DID I JUST SAY?! :wilson_ecstatic:

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

I'd recommend turning a bunch of settings to none, but until they manage to fix that worldgen settings bug it won't work.

angerysipp.png.b8276cff59b7b71722c4deff28d0fce2.png

I notice one issue is that I have a multicore AMD processor and the game doesn't seem to support multithreading. At any given time I'm running Hamlet, I'm only getting 15-25% of the CPU power I could be getting according to task manager. That probably wasn't previously an issue with DS/SW because the game wasn't exactly filled with stuff to the degree Hamlet is.

Either way, I very much hope Klei either fix this or help arrange a refund for those of us who simply won't be able to play.

9 hours ago, coffee-and-cogs said:

The game engine is quite old now....and I am sure it wasn't written keeping in mind so many things to be added later. Sure there will be big improvements when the remaining few things are added and the game is optimized further & use multithreading in the end, but let's see if this gets completely fixed.

Yeah, I have frame rate problems with Hamlet too, once rain/hayfever/insanity effects kick in, or in certain areas (grass), or when the hoard of bats descend...

My computer is definitely older, but can play DS/Shipwrecked/DST without any problems. I dunno how useful weevil carapaces are, but I'm voting to burn those concentrated grass areas down if they're going to be in the middle of a well-travelled route, because I always struggle near them when I'm running for safety... :3 

For reference: i5, quad core, 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, 4GB 1050 Ti.

8 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Well, until the worldgen settings are fixed I do have my mod here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1540599594

Your mileage may vary in terms of how much performance you get.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.  It also makes me feel a lot  better that other people are having issues similar.  To those who're saying Hamlet is heavier than DS-- technically DST is heavier than original DS as well; and I've had no probs running that with mods. 

On 11/10/2018 at 11:15 AM, zabest00 said:

Uninstalling and installing the game again helped me.

I did try that today and it helped just a smidgen, but not much.  Mind you, I then realized that my laptop was on "power saver' mod.  Kicked it up into High Performance, and it's a bit better.  I don't think it's perfect, but it's better than what it was-- playable, even.  Thanks everyone for suggestions.

I have tried the mod, and I'm not entirely sure it's working?  But it's not crashing my game so that's good news. 

2 hours ago, SenhorLevi00 said:

i5-3470 3.2Ghz

GTX 750 ti SC

8GB of ram

Im getting frame drops only between auto-savings

That looks more promising when Hamlet is officially done.  I should probably check back after a few months and make a decision then.

My dinosaur of a rig is comparable to yours:

i5-3570

GTX 770

4GB of ram

ordinary HDD(a lot of people have SSDs nowadways??)

Part of the problem I suspect is those of us who have multi-core rigs. When I check the game's performance in task manager, it never seems to go much higher than 20-25% even as it's slowing to a crawl. I suspect it's only using one core out of the four I have to do CPU tasks, thus the throttled framerate. My hypothesis is that this wasn't a problem in the original DS/RoG or in SW because the game was otherwise so small in its footprint that even one core could handle it. Hamlet obviously is a much "bigger" game in terms of what it's doing but on paper it should still be a very small game and able to be run comfortably at the specs given on the steam store page.

A Klei developer has assured me in my own thread on this topic that they're basically looking into this. :D

• Developer

We will definitely be looking into performance. 

I suspect it's a mix of the game still being early access, and the game indeed being more demanding than previous DLC's.

Somewhere this week I will post instructions on how to capture a performance log, and hopefully some people will send those - it'll help me better analyze the issue. 

• Developer
On 11/10/2018 at 6:01 AM, coffee-and-cogs said:

technically DST is heavier than original DS as well;

For educational purposes: this is true if you're hosting a server. If you join someone else's server DST is actually technically less demanding than DS. As for running with mods - not all mods make the game slower, some make it faster, many don't affect performance.

Having said that, Hamlet's performance will definitely be looked at.

9 hours ago, bizziboi said:

We will definitely be looking into performance. 

I suspect it's a mix of the game still being early access, and the game indeed being more demanding than previous DLC's.

Somewhere this week I will post instructions on how to capture a performance log, and hopefully some people will send those - it'll help me better analyze the issue. 

9 hours ago, bizziboi said:

For educational purposes: this is true if you're hosting a server. If you join someone else's server DST is actually technically less demanding than DS. As for running with mods - not all mods make the game slower, some make it faster, many don't affect performance.

Having said that, Hamlet's performance will definitely be looked at.

Really appreciate you reaching out into the thread regarding the issue! :) Thanks.  I'll definitely be doing the performance log for analysis once the how-to is posted!

I'm running thus:

AMD A6-3620

Radeon HD 6530D

4GB RAM

The performance comes and goes, and while if I were on a newer rig I'd expect to stay stable at 30fps or better, this is never a guarantee.There could be some performance tweaks needed in the GPU settings for Hamlet, or some tweaks needed in the rendering engine itself. I can say that I don't generally drop below 15-20 @1080 with my poor, poor toaster. (Will note that during beta, some of the areas were dropping me to 5-10 fps, namely jungle and all the vines and the super-concentrated grassy areas.)

@bizziboi Thanks. Will definitely be doing so. I have noticed some issues, not as severe as these folks seem to be posting, but improvements for steady performance are always great.

I am using https://github.com/paintdream/DontStarveLuaJIT

It boost perfomance 10x I am actually running Hamlet flawlessly  ever since using it. It changes DS to run on OpenGL which is much more faster than DX9 and has excellent support for Intel and Nvidia GPU... not so much with AMD (you are screwed if you don't have switchable graphics and are stuck with newer AMD GPU gen, it will run bad bad). It runs smooth as butter and milk with my intel 620 uhd with everything enabled.

Having said that, I would be more than happy to provide performance log to identify the problem. So, we don't need to resort to using custom made wrapper/patch like this - Though, maybe it's worth to consider updating to DX11 (if technically possible) or maybe give a thought about adopting OpenGL? (That said, openGL certainly doesn't benefit players with AMD GPU's - I have AMD 540 and it runs poorly (not just DS any game that is OpenGL or has very old DX9 API).

Archived