Which is more important for dupe creation, interest or skills?

Since it's really, really hard to get a dupe with high skill in the skill hey're interested in, should I prioritize getting dupes with the right interest, or the higher starting skill?  I gotta say, I'd really appreciate a less random dupe creation, maybe with some correlation between skills and interests.

Interest in an area is exactly the same as +5 learning but only in that specific area. Strength is a skill that can't be trained by any means. You can get bonuses to it but it doesn't train up with the other skills. So learning and strength are the most important skills to have. 

I have personally stopped looking at interests. Traits are extremely important. Namely to avoid ones that can ruin your build. Like flatulent.

Otherwise I aim for some specific things.

1: Always have one dupe with 2 creativity. This is so you can make top quality artwork.

2: Intelligence. One dupe with a high rating starting out. More is better but I don't sacrifice the other priorities for more than one. Fast early research is a big deal. The sooner you can do all the basics the better.

3: Strength. It translates to carry capacity which means less running around. Saves you ages of dupe labor.

4: Athletics. Faster move speed. Similar value to Strength as it means dupes do pretty much everything faster but much easier to train up as they seem to advance it any time they are carrying items.

There is no activity that specifically increases the Strength stat.  However, there is some sort of background progression that occurs, resulting in the Strength stat increasing slowly over time.  It does not appear to be tied to any particular activities, but rather occurs by simply doing activities.

I value Athletics the most since every task requires running around even if it's just to get there or back. Interests can be helpful in the early game to level up your dupes quickly in jobs that matter, like to get tenured scientists asap, but the longer you play, the less relevant job improvement speed becomes. Skills give a dupe an inherent advantage that cannot be made up through training as the skilled dupe will always keep the lead with their skill bonus. So I'd focus on Skills over Interests.

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Interest in an area is exactly the same as +4 learning but only in that specific area. Strength is a skill that can't be trained by any means. You can get bonuses to it but it doesn't train up with the other skills. So learning and strength are the most important skills to have. 

As well as what the others mentioned, I seen some people talking about flipping compost also boosting strength but I cannot confirm that...I don't use them

22 minutes ago, Bomato said:

Skills give a dupe an inherent advantage that cannot be made up through training as the skilled dupe will always keep the lead with their skill bonus.

You are able to train all attributes except strength to 20 regardless if you have an initial bonus to the ability. So if you have two dupes, one that starts with +3 in Athletics and one that have zero both will cap at 20 eventually. You then add bonuses (or penalties) from jobs, traits and vacilators to that so if the dupes from before was Twinkle Toes (+3 Athletics) and Anemic (-5 Athlectics) then they'd end up with 23 and 15 maximum attribute before applying job and vacilator bonuses.

10 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

As well as what the others mentioned, I seen some people talking about flipping compost also boosting strength but I cannot confirm that...I don't use them

I remain sceptical until someone can show a direct causal link between certain activities and raising strength. Especially the mopping one seems to have been disproven before as it's quite easy make permanent mop patches.

I do however agree with @PhailRaptor that Strength does increase over time but incredibly slowly and the direct cause still eludes me.

9 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I remain sceptical until someone can show a direct causal link between certain activities and raising strength. Especially the mopping one seems to have been disproven before as it's quite easy make permanent mop patches.

I do however agree with @PhailRaptor that Strength does increase over time but incredibly slowly and the direct cause still eludes me.

I am unsure of the mopping etc, but the compost one definently sounds like it could be a legit reason, I suppose it would be easy to test, I will set up a debug scenario tonight and have 1 dupe mop for 50 cycles, one flip compost for 50 cycles and one bash rocks for 50 cycles.

50 should be enough for them to get even one level in strength. All other activities they will perform will be eat sleep and talk Ill find out tonight

Just now, BlueLance said:

I am unsure of the mopping etc, but the compost one definently sounds like it could be a legit reason, I suppose it would be easy to test, I will set up a debug scenario tonight and have 1 dupe mop for 50 cycles, one flip compost for 50 cycles and one bash rocks for 50 cycles.

50 should be enough for them to get even one level in strength. All other activities they will perform will be eat sleep and talk Ill find out tonight

Make sure to have one idling as control.

Discussion got really sideways from the question here. As Saturnus mentioned, interests is +5 learning for the specific job only. I think the choice between a +5 skill (unless it's learning) and an interest will always go towards the interest, because you will gain skill in the specific job faster, undoing any initial skill advantage rather quickly.

If the initial learning skill is +5, always go for that. It will leave you with a much better adaptability. If it's lower, something like +3, it depends. An early colony benefits more from a +3 learning skill than an interest because it gives you more adaptability. A late game colony however benefit more from the interest as you probably already have every specific job covered and don't need the adaptability.

There are some exceptions however:

-Duplicants can have multiple interests. An initial +5 learning skill will always beat that, but a lower learning skill might find itself outmatched if a particular dupe hits the sweat spot regarding colony needs.

-The ranching job is an annoying one because it requires mastery of the farmhand job, while interest in the farm job does not carry over to the ranching job and vice versa. Currently, skill gains in the ranching job do not yield any benefits. Therefore making the ranching interest completely useless. Ranching is nothing more currently than a trait required to ranch critters. So either pick the farm interest, or a dupe with a decent learning skill stat.

-The mechatronics engineer job requirers mastering in both the courier and the general engineer jobs. So your dupe preferable has interests in both the supply and operate jobs, OR a 4/5 learning skill, or an interest in one job combined with a +3 learning skill.

Related, but does progression in job mastery stay remembered if they switch jobs and swtich back? Like say I'm 50% to mastering gofer ,but switch to miner, then back to gofer, am I still at 50% I can't seem to tell.

Second related question: In the priorities screen, the mopping tooltip is based on athletics, not strength, but everyone says mopping is strenght related, as is the tooltip for strength, is this an error?  Also it mentions a non-existent "life support" skill?

11 minutes ago, ProfMembrane said:

Related, but does progression in job mastery stay remembered if they switch jobs and swtich back? Like say I'm 50% to mastering gofer ,but switch to miner, then back to gofer, am I still at 50% I can't seem to tell.

Yes. Experience is not lost (anymore).

6 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I have seen on multiple occasions their strength being increased while flipping compost, so I'm pretty convinced that is one activity that trains it.  Unless it's just been a huge coincidence every time.  And I think I recall seeing the skill go up while mopping or crushing rocks, but I can't confirm that.

1 hour ago, Lali-Lop said:

I have seen on multiple occasions their strength being increased while flipping compost, so I'm pretty convinced that is one activity that trains it.  Unless it's just been a huge coincidence every time.  And I think I recall seeing the skill go up while mopping or crushing rocks, but I can't confirm that.

I've seen +Strength a number of times when mopping. Coincidence? Maybe, but I've never seen anything other stats increase while mopping. Yeah, I know, circumstantial at best. 

I don't watch the rock crusher so I can't remember seeing anything there. 

The game has a range of skill points so large that starting with 5 is pointless, because you end up with 30+.

+3 Creativity on a artist is nice, but not really vital as you can train it just by leveling the artist job an decorations is mostly pointless anyway, it's only useful in bedrooms for most dupes and perhaps for a cook that is always in one location you can decorate. Decoration in rooms that dupes only spend time in rarely, like washrooms is pointless, because they need to spend a good bit of time in a place to soak in the decoration bonus.

Learning is pointless as you don't need to research faster and the dupe still get 30+ in skills without it.

Interest you have the same problem of having 3742908347928374 cycles to do stuff, so does it matter if it takes less cycles to learn a job? Before the expression update, I kinda had supply as high priority to allow my early ExoSuit plan to work, but now I can't rush the supply tree job, without getting into problems, so I'm back to it all not mattering as I can't learn a job faster than I can handle the mood cost.

Frankly, I really only look at traits. 

Interest only makes them master jobs quicker.  Since I specialize my dupes,  I'm not typically too concerned with how fast that happens.

Carrying capacity is affected more by gofer and courier jobs than by raw strength, so I don't worry about that too much either. 

Good/bad traits though can make a big difference. 

Ok well, I ran a test and it didn't take that long, Mopping and Composting both grant Strength levels, Refining metal/stone grants Tinkering.

All dupes started with 0 Strength except one of the two control dupes. both of them retained 0 and 4 strength respectively.

20180830185021_1.jpg

Archived