Are dusk caps obsolete?

Let's compare dusk caps to bristle blossoms

Dusk Caps -> provides more kcal's [ Great! ]
                      requires slime as fertilizer [ Not so great ]

requires an atmosphere of carbon dioxide [ Can be annoying if the slime in the duplicants inventory releases gas ]
                      has a larger temperature range [ Great! ]
                      lacks a upgrade path [ Not so great ]

Bristle Blossoms -> provides less kcal's [ Not so great ]
                               has a smaller temperature range [ Doesn't matter as much ]
                               requires light in order to grow [ Very easy to manage ]
                               requires water as a fertilizer [ There's an abundant amount of water in the beginning ]
                               requires a atmosphere of oxygen, polluted oxygen or carbon dioxide [ Amazing! ]
                               has a upgrade path [ You can use bristle blossoms as an ingredient in the future to create better foods ]

Both -> Provide the same food quality ( 0 Uncooked, 1 Cooked)
             Can be cooked

My Solutions ->

Mushroom stew -> add a new food called mushroom stew
                              would require 1.5-2.5 mushrooms and 20-75kg of water
                              would give a food quality of 2 and **maybe** an immunity boost of 3-7% for .5-2 cycles

Mushrooms boost immunity -> now mushrooms will boost immunity by 3-7% for .5-2 cycles
                                                 mushrooms will spawn germless

Mushrooms get a boost -> Mushrooms would get an increase to food quality and a slight decrease to kcal per dusk cap (enough to require 2 dusk caps in order to produce 1 fried mushroom)
                                            Mushrooms would stay at a food quality of 0 but fried mushrooms would get a food quality of 2 instead of 1

Let me know what you think!
:)

For me, bristle blossoms are obsolete.

10.7kg slime/dupe/cycle for 1000kcals

Vs

60kg water/dupe/cycle.

The light/dark/co2/other Gas are not consumed so meaningless.

Bristles are a luxury for waterabundant colonies (who usually ooze a fair bit of dups @printer to achieve this).

It depends: There are a lots of slime in the map, and slime can be turned into mushrooms.

My strategy is to store all the slime underwater so it does not evaporate until i get conveyors.

When conveyors are available, i build a small room full of over pressurized chlorine (2Kg), some receptacles and storage compactors. Then the magic happens: Dupes deliver slime from the underwater storage to a Conveyor Loader, which send to the dedicated storage area. Chorine kills all germs, making slime safe to use in the future. Near the storage i build a larger farmer room, overpressurized with CO2 and connected to the slime storage via converyors. That way slime is delivered to mushrooms via conveyour system.

The secret here is overpressurization: Above 1.8Kg slime stops to evaporate. If chlorine is difficult to obtain, you can use CO2. I use chlorine because i hate slimelung, but with this system, once stored, there will be no direct contact of the dupes with the slime, so is safe anyway.

So, In my strategy, slime means easy food, swamp biome means lots and lots of easy 'free' food (algae to fishes (meat and eggs), slime to mushrooms).

I think it`s ok the way it is. Early on it`s easy to farm some bristle berries but later you want to conserve water so you rather plant more dusk caps. But very late in the game slime starts running out and it gets harder to maintain the mushrooms. By that time you should probably have a good water setup and quite a bit surplus water so you can go back to bristles.

Early on I use both.  Later I stop grilling the blossoms and start making stuffed berries instead. 

I keep the shrooms though as not every dupe needs high tier food. 

I only use mealwood for the first 30 cycles or so until the shrooms are running

34 minutes ago, cOnSdOnG said:

I honestly didn't mention the cost of water b/c at that point you would probably have a sustainable water supply and also at the same time reasonable temperatures

For a lot of people, it isn't about water immediately available. It is water indefinitely available. It can feel wrong to consume finite resources for very little actual gain. By the time you're particularly far along, you probably are ready to mostly abandon farming for foodstuffs anyway in favor of meat. Water is probably better spent on supplying peppernut for BBQ and espresso machines. Unless you want to mess with shinebug variants.

Mushrooms are essentially don't require a whole lot. And you're going to get slime from pufts if you're ranching them.

Super Food would be great where all the various ingredients can be used to give you a big Kcal that has a slow stale rate.

Or a new type of building that is like the Crock Pot of don't starve,  you get to choose what ingredients to use and it makes an energy bar.

There is at least one upgrade path for mushrooms : use it as critter feed.

Hatches and sage hatches need only 0.3 kg of mushrooms per cycle (maybe even 0.25 kg, because the numbers from the in-game tooltip seems rounded Edit : they need 700 kcal according to the ONI Biology thread so ~0.292 kg of mushrooms). Adult hatches produces 2 kg of meat.

So one tamed hatch will turn ~30 kg mushrooms into 34 kg of meat (16 eggs + meat from the hatch itself).

Sounds pretty profitable to me.

sage-hatch-food-requirement.thumb.jpg.c17de38dffdd3131e92232d014e0f62d.jpg

My question to people who prefer dusk caps- what difficulty settings do you play on? I usually play on max and I avoid ever going to dusk caps besides the few natural ones, is because I usually just store all my slime in a freezer until I have processing automated in order to avoid any extra sanitation hazards with farming.

I play on Miserable, Pessimistic.  I need a steady supply of balm lilies and good décor/recreation.  I do use top tier foods

for the high-skilled dupes, but I don't just level up all the dupes to maximum.  Each one only goes as high up the tiers as is needed

to do their job.  My massage rooms get only minor use.  Stress tends to hover around 15% and immunity goes up and down

for the dupes that have to head into the slime zones, but very rarely drops below 40%.  For slime used in the shroom farm, I store

in a chlorine pressure room for awhile to kill the germs before use. 

5 hours ago, Hegemone said:

My question to people who prefer dusk caps- what difficulty settings do you play on? I usually play on max and I avoid ever going to dusk caps besides the few natural ones, is because I usually just store all my slime in a freezer until I have processing automated in order to avoid any extra sanitation hazards with farming.

Miserable/fatalistic.

I clear all slime into a pool that is stored by dups underwater.

Cycle 160, one sick duplicant but her immunity regen is -4 so she is on vitamins.

Others are between 30-100. Whenever slime drops I sweep 9 IT and kill the infected po with 6-9 temporary deodorizers.

They have their use if you refrain from promoting all of your dupes to the higher tiers.  They can be used to feed low-skill laborers who dig, build, and supply, for example.  If you're the type who promotes all of your dupes then you're going to run out of reasons to grow mushrooms for anything save pet food or compost fodder.

I personally would like to see them changed in the following way:

• replace the current Omelette with a Fried Egg, keeping the kcals, food quality, etc as they currently are
  • add a Mushroom Omelette, a quality 4 food worth 3,600 kcal requiring a mushroom and a raw egg to make

This game is completely upside down on reality. In reality you have material recycling on full and only require energy. In ONI you require materials and have constant flux of energy.

22 hours ago, cOnSdOnG said:

Let's compare dusk caps to bristle blossoms

I'm doing the opposite actually, going straight to mushrooms asap (cycle ~30/40) and feeding them to everyone until I can transition to omelets then barbecue/pepper bread for my top leveled dupes at first, and eventually others. I just skip blossoms entirely : no water consumption, no cooling required.

That's on regular difficulty though, maybe I'd have to change plans on hard mode.

Archived