Spicing up the Base Game With The Kitchen

When the Gorge event is all said and done, I think adding these assets to the base game of dst would be great. Having more foods to cook and farm just would really make the game have something new to do, even if it's just collecting. I also would really just love to see these things after the event because it feels like a waste if they can never be used again. A lot of the recipes in The Gorge would require the new seeds, sap, spice, and cooking stations, soooo maybe we can just transfer them over. I don't know if asking for a new biome is too much but I would love being able to make all these foods again. Especially, since as Wigfrid player she has nothing that can compare to the benefits of a Dragon Fruit Pie, like give her some Meat Pie(please). 

Ah, well.. in the Klei stream they said maybe we can keep some of the foods. It all depends on their part, I just want something to spice up gameplay a bit on the surface world. The last time that happened was when the implemented the Antlion.

I'm a bit of a late bird about the event, but didn't the Goat thing says when you win the event and head back through the portal that "Billy and I'll follow soon behind!" ???  

I mean, what does that mean!? At this point it is pretty darn sure that they will be added to DST when the event ends. 

The question is, what will they do? Are they gonna sell some their usual stuff? Will the friendly merms peeps will follow too with their seeds?

For once I actually have good hope that some of the assets will be ported to the main game.

Cross yo fingers!

2 hours ago, Ali Bun said:

Especially, since as Wigfrid player she has nothing that can compare to the benefits of a Dragon Fruit Pie, like give her some Meat Pie(please). 

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me. She has a high amount of health, takes 1/4 less damage and can regenerate health by attacking things. She can also make some durable helmets. I'd say the tradeoff is worth it. Besides, there's always pierogis anyway...

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me. She has a high amount of health, takes 1/4 less damage and can regenerate health by attacking things. She can also make some durable helmets. I'd say the tradeoff is worth it. Besides, there's always pierogis anyway...

I know but its mainly because pierogis don't give you full stomach. I get that yeah she does get the health regain but it would be nice to have more meat food options.. also meat animations take longer compared to eating any non meat food like the dragon pie.

4 minutes ago, Auth said:

I don’t think we need to go making DST any easier.

How would it make it easier? I'm just asking for more variety and something new to do while we wait for something else to change base game.

Seeing the Gorge has made me realize,

For a game called Don't Starve, the emphasis on food doesn't seem to be that great. Typically you get to the point where all you make are 3 - 4 foods that serve for one stat. I love the idea of these multistep recipes to make all sorts of unique dishes. If some of the mechanics were to be integrated into the base game it could add some much needed variety.

I don't know specifically how they could smoothly implement these, but I'd love to see it in some fashion.

1 minute ago, ProfessorAlpaca said:

Seeing the Gorge has made me realize,

For a game called Don't Starve, the emphasis on food doesn't seem to be that great. Typically you get to the point where all you make are 3 - 4 foods that serve for one stat. I love the idea of these multistep recipes to make all sorts of unique dishes. If some of the mechanics were to be integrated into the base game it could add some much needed variety.

I don't know specifically how they could smoothly implement these, but I'd love to see it in some fashion.

Exactly, once you've gotten past the point of rushing bosses and soloing, it just repetitive routine. We make mostly just jerky, pies, pierogies, bacon and eggs,and honey ham. I just want something new to do like making flour and cooking at base. It's just like what else is there to really do once you've killed everything and just restart the world..

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

To add to this the 25% damage resistance applies to nearly every form of damage, including some kinds that can't be resisted through other means. (Freezing, Overheating and Starving although for experienced players this is not very relevant.) The 25% also stacks with armor (So a hit dealing 100 damage would deal 20 to a character with a log suit, Wigfrid would take 15.) which is nice as not everyone can kite perfectly 100% of the time.

2 hours ago, Ali Bun said:

I know but its mainly because pierogis don't give you full stomach. I get that yeah she does get the health regain but it would be nice to have more meat food options.. also meat animations take longer compared to eating any non meat food like the dragon pie.

Maintaining hunger during a fight usually isn't an issue unless you're playing as Wolfgang. Pierogis are primarily for health. There's much better foods for hunger. 

Personally, I think we need more vegetarian dishes. The majority of the foods generally considered to be the best are meat based. The only two that come to mind that aren't meat based are buttermuffins and dragon pies. 

But I digress. A more in-depth cooking system would be a welcome addition. 

19 hours ago, SuperDavid said:

As nothing from the forge was added into base game other than skins.

Meeh, I don't find that to be a relevant observation. What happens to DST if you integrate even more fighting assets from the Forge and ennemis into it? The whole DST experience could change for the worst actually. The Forge was fun, but nothing in there is needed in the game.

You cannot say that with the Gorge assets ; quite the opposite actually. People are complaining about the way you never die from starving and that the hunger mechanic is too simple and easy to manage. Bringing new recipes and seeds, the spade mechanic to turn the soil and new cooking instruments like the oven and grill to install on the camp fire is really interesting!

In the end Idk whats coming, but the fact that The old Goat whatshername said she and Billy would finally escape the Gorge and follow is for sure an indication that they are coming to DST.

#crockpot_is_going_down

18 hours ago, Ali Bun said:

How would it make it easier? I'm just asking for more variety and something new to do while we wait for something else to change base game.

Well, variety is totally a way to make things easier. More variety, more choice, possibility to adapt better to the different situations, it's totally possible to make the game easier with added variety.

Also, you are requesting a meat dish for wigfrid that will be as good as dragonpie, so this too could make the game easier.

Sure, you will have to set a camp (new structure) and learn new recipes, but when it will be done (and it will), the game will be a little more easy, since you'll have more options.

Is it a bad thing ?

I don't know. What make me tell that it's not a good thing is :

- it will add a lot to learn for new players (new stations, new recipe, new ingredients), when they are usually already overwhelmed, so it will not make their game easier, only the one of people with knowledge

- it will not create more reasons to vary food. You'll surely have a bigger list of "best dishes for different situation", but not more reasons to actually do different dishes outside of these cases. So it will just amplify the problem mentioned above : a game when food doesn't seem to matter that much.

The thing is, variety isn't enough to solve this. Waiter 101 add a lot of food, and it's great for variety, but doesn't make the game harder (except when limiting the use of some ingredients, since you have to find more diverse fillers and change your habit). So i don't see how adding anything to food without adding a challenge will solve the problem of lack of diversity. You need reason to do various food, or it will quickly become stale and people will still do the same limited amount of dishes, with one or two additions too powerful to miss.

Note that i'm not against some additions to the game, i just think that it will require a lot more work to solve properly the "problem" of players doing always the same dishes, and it will make the game easier for people already finding the game easy (and probably more complicated for the others).

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

it will add a lot to learn for new players (new stations, new recipe, new ingredients), when they are usually already overwhelmed, so it will not make their game easier, only the one of people with knowledge

The game is already like that, it's not beginner friendly at all. This game requires a lot of research or testing out things to see how it works so either way it's still stuff new players would have to learn. Though many new players just only play for like a little bit until they get bored or die because they don't know what to do or have anyone to play with.

I'm mainly just saying I want new things to do with my friends. My friend is really big on base building and adding all these new assets would really spice up how she makes base, sometimes we just want to make cookies and chill. It would just be a small thing that wouldn't really actually make the game any easier than it is currently, but just be something fun to do.

Also, you are requesting a meat dish for wigfrid that will be as good as dragonpie, so this too could make the game easier.

Also that wasn't a main point of what I was saying it would just be a cool idea.

2 minutes ago, Ali Bun said:

The game is already like that, it's not beginner friendly at all. This game requires a lot of research or testing out things to see how it works so either way it's still stuff new players would have to learn. Though many new players just only play for like a little bit until they get bored or die because they don't know what to do or have anyone to play with.

Yes, i know. But it will make it worse, and if we want the game to continue growing, discouraging new players even more isn't a thing to do. I understand the need for more diversity and new things to do, but you can't ignore all the problems of an idea just because it will maybe make the game better for you, especially if it's only for a short time. And in the current state, the time will be really short.

I would prefer them to take more time but with a better purpose, like real reasons to do various and better foods.

Anyway, i understand your point of view, i just think it's a limited vision.

How about implementing the new things/machanics into a new mode, that is different from the classic DST modes? Could be called "Gorgeous" and be more like an adventure mode. Natural plants could be regrowing much much slower, beefalo could drop less meat, honey is produced much slower and so on. But there will be more farming (like you can use the hoe to plant up to four things on a farm) and refining. Would be nice too, if you would need keys to get into some areas (I would like to see the sugarforrest and the rocky crab/salt-biome in the world). Maybe the character you are playing can also have cravings, shown by a symbol. If you don't satisfie the craving, your character should loose more and more sanity. And insanity should have more negative consequences (like loosing health slowly if you are near 0 sanity). The goal could be, to win against the giants and put their special objects on some altars. Then you can escape. In this mode the world shouldn't be customizable. It could be also a faster game, with shorter seasons and a smaller world and smaller biomes.

Okay I feel like throwing my own 5 cents into this, you see currently our characters are "stuck" in thie whole Ancient Gateway fiasko, the chance of us getting an update that adds some things from gorge or forge is none, due to our characters currently not being in the constant. Possibly whenever we finish the Ancient Gateway Adventures we will get content updates once again, maybe even the items from events and expansions to them like more crops for the farmland tiles or new staves and weapons. 

On 17/06/2018 at 5:32 AM, csc_unit said:

I'm a bit of a late bird about the event, but didn't the Goat thing says when you win the event and head back through the portal that "Billy and I'll follow soon behind!" ???  

I mean, what does that mean!? At this point it is pretty darn sure that they will be added to DST when the event ends. 

The question is, what will they do? Are they gonna sell some their usual stuff? Will the friendly merms peeps will follow too with their seeds?

For once I actually have good hope that some of the assets will be ported to the main game.

Cross yo fingers!

I took that as Mumsy and Billy turning up for the next event or the one after... After all, there's no way the Gatekeepers' journey sent by Charlie has ended here just like this.

5 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Okay I feel like throwing my own 5 cents into this, you see currently our characters are "stuck" in thie whole Ancient Gateway fiasko, the chance of us getting an update that adds some things from gorge or forge is none, due to our characters currently not being in the constant. Possibly whenever we finish the Ancient Gateway Adventures we will get content updates once again, maybe even the items from events and expansions to them like more crops for the farmland tiles or new staves and weapons. 

actually i think the lack of updates is due to high command of players needing to play gorge on consoles

On 6/16/2018 at 8:32 PM, Ali Bun said:

Exactly, once you've gotten past the point of rushing bosses and soloing, it just repetitive routine. We make mostly just jerky, pies, pierogies, bacon and eggs,and honey ham. I just want something new to do like making flour and cooking at base. It's just like what else is there to really do once you've killed everything and just restart the world..

From the wiki:

• Wheat is an item/object encountered in the game files.Wheat build.png

5afa471fc5c13_Wilsonwheatfarmingbreak.thumb.png.84230e835441af0ba5a5ee0f0b45f37c.png

I wouldn't mind some event items to carry over to the base game.

I say someone makes the crockpot -  skin - food - reskin mod

( IDEA : You have that survivor crockpot skin - you would have kinda scrappy lasagna etc. )

And Klei added the Gorge Crockpot skin : Well therefore we could have cheesecake instead of butterfly muffin...

Ofc only if The Gorge comes back.

Add cooking stations similar to the Gorge for appropriate dishes. Crockpot can stay as-is for recipes appropriate to the hanging cook-pot, just need a grill and oven. Assets are already done.
New plants for new ingredients, although not many are actually required. Spices could be created by grinding up preexisting items like Tentacle Spots or Durian, for example. As in some Gorge recipes, Garlic and such can double as a spice.
Shovelable Farmland turf would be really neat. Dug out swathes of land that we can do whatever we want with. Combine this with eventual fence skins, which were discussed back in the Forge, and you could get some nice scenes.

This adds variety to food. In a game where the title is based on food, that seems important regardless of mechanics. Always thought it was weird that there wasn't more food variety or really anything in the way of food-prep mechanics in the game.
The new dishes don't need to do anything special. It just adds to the feeling. Maxwell talks about being used to more refined dishes; this would be right up his alley. Plus...the sheer absurdity of a small group of survivors huddled together in the wilderness for warmth while feasting on expertly prepared and immaculately seasoned beef wellington is something that'd suit this game pretty well.

Archived