How to save shine bugs?

Just now, Lilalaunekuh said:

If you never set a storage compactor to store shine bug eggs, there is no need to save anything.

I´m cycle 200+ without any interaction with my shine bugs, but I have still all of them living inside my base without a loss.

weird...mine are all dead and I basically ignore them 

I thought lure and trap is useless item, and CU make them even more useless. In CU (at least until now) you can wrangle practically all critters that can reach your rancher. Not wrangling directly, but using those drop-off auto wrangle feature. In ranch update, I always use ranch station to calls critter. No need to wait for oil, just deconstruct after use.

Even with those trick, still need to have rancher and that ranching tech. But as long we didn't touch their eggs, they should laying at least 1 egg before die. Except there is accident, like drowning or out of livable temperature.

15 minutes ago, chemie said:

Eggs now die

This is first time I heard this. You mean viability? I thought viability only decrease when stored in compactor. So far in CU I didn't use incubator, just let them hatch on their own. I might be wrong on this, because still trying out many things.

I like that auto-wrangle, too much hatch, wrangle, taken to fish release above reservoir. Bye bye hatch.

Just now, Lilalaunekuh said:

If you never set a storage compactor to store shine bug eggs, there is no need to save anything.

I´m cycle 200+ without any interaction with my shine bugs, but I have still all of them living inside my base without a loss.

I never set a storage compactor to shinebug eggs and around cycle 75 all are death.
Sometimes opened eggs on the ground / shell + inner egg content ^^

There were 4 ways to decimate your shine bug population:

1. You have a compactor for shine bug eggs.

2. You build to small rooms and the shine bug went overcrowded (with the smallest room inside my base beeing 24 tiles)

3. Your base got to hot/cold and your out of the livable temperature range.

(4. Your shine bug drowned after hatching. (Should be fixed for WILD ones))

2 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I never set a storage compactor to shinebug eggs and around cycle 75 all are death.
Sometimes opened eggs on the ground / shell + inner egg content ^^

Sure you found raw egg on the floor ? (or just egg shells from hateched bugs)

Oh yeah, those overcrowded or confined status will prevent them from laying eggs.

Sorry I'm not englishman: hatch, hatchling, hatched, now hateched. Whats with all that hat?

When you found the "raw egg"  @Oozinator , which of the following statements were true:

a) The raw egg was laying in front of a compactor

b) The raw egg was laying in a puddle of liquid

c) The raw egg was laying in a hot/cold spot

(These are the only possibilites to exterminate shine bug while getting raw eggs)

Perhaps their lifespan is too short and they randomly wander in to confined areas too much when they are around your base with open doors etc so they eventually don't drop an egg before dying.  I'm around turn 100 now and had to ranch the 1 egg that was left.

Wild critters only has a chance of laying an egg before hey die, so it's entirely possible that without them being confined that they will starve to death before laying an egg.

The only solution seems to be feeding them, I played a ton of maps where shine bugs died without being confined, until I put down a feeder box.

52 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

When you found the "raw egg"  @Oozinator , which of the following statements were true:

a) The raw egg was laying in front of a compactor

b) The raw egg was laying in a puddle of liquid

c) The raw egg was laying in a hot/cold spot

(These are the only possibilites to exterminate shine bug while getting raw eggs)

Hmkay, sounds logic. ^^

16 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

Wild critters only has a chance of laying an egg before hey die, so it's entirely possible that without them being confined that they will starve to death before laying an egg.

If they´re never confined there isn´t any problem

4 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

wild critter do not starve

Your sure crystal shine bug can´t starve ? (3 times the lifecycle than other shine bug and the same energy reserves)

My current base has had a Shinebug floating around in it for over 400 cycles.  I only had to do anything to it once, when the egg landed in a pool of water.  I alt-Q'd it out before it could hatch.  But this is Ranch 2, so I can't speak to any Cosmic changes.

1 hour ago, Kabrute said:

wild critter do not starve

I have had mixed observations about this.  Some seem to starve, others do not.  But as long as they do not become Glum, they always live long enough to produce an egg.

The wild critters die of old age.  They also appear to have some reduced egg laying rate so they lay about 1 egg through their lifecycle.  What happens when they get in to your base is whenever they spend time in a confined area that egg rate doesn't go up.  Spending a total of 1 cycle confined might be enough to stop it from laying an egg especially for a shinebug that only lives for 25 cycles.

Im under the impression that critters just keep spawning out of thin air. I clearly recall seeing ph2o pools and gas pockets with nothing, and after a while there was this infestation. I could be wrong (probably am), and this may require a longer game to assess, or of course, a dev answer :)

eggs are small and can hide among debris piles clinging to the floor, its worse if the egg is half in the ground, like partially buried.  Anywho critters do not spawn out of thin air at all, they are only spawned on worldgen the first time you create the game, after that they are only hatched from eggs.

17 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Your sure crystal shine bug can´t starve ? (3 times the lifecycle than other shine bug and the same energy reserves)

Um...what're the odds though of you getting a wild Crystal Shine Bug? The amount of selective breeding needed for that is...well, I mean, the Crystal Shine Bug is the Shine Bug's final form! :wilson_ecstatic:

All the shine bugs in my current base (R2) went extinct. I left for dinner and forgot to pause the game. When I returned, the base was fine (they were eating fried mushrooms) but the last bug egg was already past the water sieve :)

Archived