[Game Update] - 259633

• Developer
  • Critter feeder now organizes it's storage options by creature diet.
  • Creatures now start off wild and become tame after being groomed for a couple of cycles. 
  • Wild creatures consume/produce much less than tame creatures.
  • Broad tuning pass on creature consumption/production to account for their life cycles.
  • Creatures should now die if they run out of calories.
  • Geyser are now dormant for a shorter portion of their "big cycle".
  • Improved studied geyser status items.
  • Creatures should now spawn with the appropriate max health.
  • Hatches should no longer spawn in the air when starting a new game.
  • Creatures will now get overcrowded if too many of them are in the same room.
  • Morbs should no longer get stuck spawning polluted oxygen.
  • Using a specific world gen seed should now always spawn the same type of geysers in the same locations.
  • Auto-Sweeper can no longer sweep through Mesh/AirFlow tiles.
  • Fixed an issue where the simulation was destroying gas mass.
  • The priorities screen now allows you to cycle back to auto-assigned(the wrench) if you've manually changed it.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when browsing the database.
  • Ranchers should no longer try and ranch burrowed hatches.
  • Several databse link fixes.
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong autosave file was being deleted.
  • Fixed crash that could occur when fighting creatures.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur if a creature could no longer reach their ranch station.
  • Debug paint tools now have an eye dropper tool.

View full update

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

So, let me get this straight. If you don't get to a creature within about 10 cycles at most the die off in the wild.

What the hell were you thinking? Or were you guys thinking at all?

Anyway. I'm out. I'm not gonna bother with this preview anymore.

If it is really that bad, its probably going to get fixed in a few days. No need to throw a tantrum.

7 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

So, let me get this straight. If you don't get to a creature within about 10 cycles at most the die off in the wild.

I think it affects tamed once only. seeing how "wild plants" don't need food either

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

The real question is what " much less" means. Less than wild before or less than game now which is 100 less than before.  IF groomed make 100 times more, then we are ok and back to where we started.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

They do eat in the wild. Or at least mine have, except shinebugs, they just do their own thing

21 minutes ago, Cheerio said:

Creatures should now die if they run out of calories.

Pufts and slicksters should be okay since they consume the gas of their native biomes, but this could lead to extinction-levels of starvation for hatches and shinebugs if we don't research quick enough.

13 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

HAH! PMA @Saturnusdidn't last for long :D 

21 minutes ago, Cheerio said:
  • Creatures now start off wild and become tame after being groomed for a couple of cycles. 
  • Broad tuning pass on creature consumption/production to account for their life cycles.
  • Creatures should now die if they run out of calories.
  • Creatures will now get overcrowded if too many of them are in the same room.

Calling this the "ranching update" was just plain wrong @Cheerio - should have split the geyser/fumarole tinkerings and the critter changes into two separate updates and put WAAAY more focus on each individually.

We're hurtling towards an update thats both diluted and wayward in every sense.

Just my 2cents, but there's a reason i've not invested too much time into this pre-release, and that's because it just hums of future rollbacks.

• Like 4

@Cheerio Will the geyser changes be on current experimental worlds or only on new worlds?

3 minutes ago, goboking said:

Pufts and slicksters should be okay since they consume the gas of their native biomes, but this could lead to extinction-levels of starvation for hatches and shinebugs if we don't research quick enough.

Hatches also eat the stuff left on the ground naturally. so as long as you don't sweep everything up they should be fine as well

4 minutes ago, goboking said:

I would be equally worried about a tamed creature farm which temporarily runs out of food (like P.O. for puff farm) causing mass extinction.  Like AU when you ran out of seeds and were screwed.

Creatures should revert to wild, not die.

Edited by chemie
  • Like 1

Just now, chemie said:

I would be equally worried about a tamed creature farm which temporarily runs out of food (like P.O. for puff farm) causing mass extinction.  Like AU when you ran out of seeds and were screwed.

I thin hatches can survive several cycles without food, and slicksters should never really be out of the stuff, unless your dupes are dead XD

Just now, BlueLance said:

I thin hatches can survive several cycles without food, and slicksters should never really be out of the stuff, unless your dupes are dead XD

Slicksters often sucked all CO2 out of area.  IF they die, that is bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Nobody's asking the real questions here...what about the poor shinebugs?:wilson_cry:

1 minute ago, chemie said:

Slicksters often sucked all CO2 out of area.  IF they die, that is bad.

^ that too. :3

• Like 2

@Cheerio It might be a good idea to have it that wild critters do not have a calori counter at all;

Shine Bugs will just go extinct

Slicksters are on a clock and that's if they even spawn in a spot that isn't all oil

Hatches are a 50-50 especially if buried they will just starve underground

Pufts are the only safe ones because they float around in their food.

Edit - I actually noticed they do not have a calory counter, does this mean wild cannot die or is it a hidden value

Edited by BlueLance

1 minute ago, BlueLance said:

@Cheerio It might be a good idea to have it that wild critters do not have a calori counter at all;

Shine Bugs will just go extinct

Slicksters are on a clock and that's if they even spawn in a spot that isn't all oil

Hatches are a 50-50 especially if buried they will just starve underground

Pufts are the only safe ones because they float around in their food.

I have seen puffs in vacuums

Just did took a quick look and wild creatures don't list a calories or hunger. It seems that it only happens once they are tamed.
The feeder also lists what foods each creature eats, and only has bristle berry for shine bugs. Not sure if that means they no longer eat phosphorite.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, LaShomb said:

Just did took a quick look and wild creatures don't list a calories or hunger. It seems that it only happens once they are tamed.
The feeder also lists what foods each creature eats, and only has bristle berry for shine bugs. Not sure if that means they no longer eat phosphorite.

If you hover over the word wild it tells you their hunger per cycle, but doesn't say out of what

19 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

@Cheerio Will the geyser changes be on current experimental worlds or only on new worlds?

I'd really like to know this as well.

19 minutes ago, LaShomb said:

Feeding berries to shine bugs won't make sense for eggs.  OK if you need shine bugs but I never saw a good use...they drift away too easily

13 minutes ago, itsYiyas said:

Changes on hatch: will eat under 3500calories, lose 700cal a day, eat 200kg, poop 100kg at max happiness right now. 14 days to get an egg. So 1/3rd the food but more coal right now.

What is OU coal poop mass?

Wild critters don't need food at all, they'll just enjoy life happily. Tamed hatches lose 700 kcal per day, and if they burn all the calories they'll die in 10 cycles, so lots of time to feed them. Shine bugs eat berries and phosphorite, you need to mine some phosphorite for it to show up in the feeder.