Next update - life after tubes

Hi all

I think many of us waiting for new update?

Maybe you have ideas or information about it? For my opinion, in ONI we have lack of "danger" - hunger and suffocation in most cases just "dupes stupidity problem" when they lock themselves. Maybe we need more traumatic cold/hot ? What about chlorine poison? Now our dupes can walk in frozen oxigen, boiling oil and pass chlorine area without problems -  we really no need control atmosphere in living areas (exept farming and bedrooms).

We have suits for cold/warm - but no need them, we have suits for extreme conditions - but its just for fun - we can dig to oil without them...

Tools - we dig snow and diamonds/abbyssanyte using same tools without problem. We no need to use insulation tile - abby is really cheap to dig.... Maybe its good idea to greatly reduce digging speed for hard materials and add some digging tools like we have in old good Wiggles (Diggles in some versions).

And again about danger -  we have no fear, nothing to avoid or prevent access to resources. Its possible that some more active monsters can add fun... and meat... 

All good ideas.  The last couple updates felt like they were throwing stuff out just for fun vs working on a overall development objective.  I hope we something that adds complexity vs tubes which are a useless gimick. 

I'd be interested in seeing dangerous events -- which is something that makes Don't Starve fun for me (hounds may attack your base). Some ideas for disasters could include: earthquakes, meteor strikes, flooding, oil bursts. Or some kind of combat where certain creatures could assault your base.

I'd also like to see an Agricultural Update part 2 at some point, to make food & farming useful and interesting again. Currently all you need is mealwood. Perhaps this could be fixed with making it so that if you don't feed your dupes good-quality food at some point, no amount of decor is going to help their eventual stress breakdowns.

2 hours ago, midjones said:

(1) Or some kind of combat where certain creatures could assault your base.

(2) I'd also like to see an Agricultural Update part 2 at some point

(1) The devs have outright stated that combat will not be a focus of this game.  That pretty much shoots down any "alien invasion" event.

(2) I fully expect food/farming to be reworked again.  The Agriculture Update system was a great framework, but the number balance was pretty far off.  We need to go back to something similar to that.

19 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

(1) The devs have outright stated that combat will not be a focus of this game.  That pretty much shoots down any "alien invasion" event.

Weird that ONI keep a dedicated 'Attack' option icon at bottom-right, which is basically only used for killing hatches.

46 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Something can be part of the game without being the focus.  And for what it's worth, this guy sure looks like an alien invader to me.

Edit: the ONI NPC, not Brothgar.

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

For sure!
Click only on the spoiler, when you are really sure, you want to kill the surprise!

Hide contents

Click only on the spoiler, when you are really sure, you want to kill the surprise!

trolling?

I really hope the food system will be reworked. Right now it's the most boring and unchallenging thing in game. Totally would like to see new creatures and biomes giving new stuff to do about food. Growing food should feel way more complicated.

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

ANIMAL HUSBANDRY - PLEASE. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! 

If not for me, just do it for all the poor mealice we're consuming by their billions....

More animals, more fun. 

Agreed. Hatch BBQs are a nice treat but my dupes demand a weekly meat lovers special. So far I've been able to hold them off from mutiny by telling them there's no way to know exactly when a week has passed but even their pea sized brains will eventually figure out I'm just stalling them because their supreme overlord is out of favour with the dev gods. 

there are things in the game that requires attention such as a bag of oxygen, you cant sweep it

metal refinery overheating pipe should be fix asap

maybe they can add filter to some overlays

and perhaps they can add something similar to the don't starves' "portal to maxwell"

Honestly - I want to kill me a mole/vole/digger-rat/subterranean vermin - I want to eat me it's flesh, then I wants to wear it's hide...

Then I want to pet a shock worm.

Then I want to wear it's hide.

Then I want to catch me some Pacu fish.

Then fashion me some Pacu slippers.

Seriously, we need mo' cweatures!

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

Honestly - I want to kill me a mole/vole/digger-rat/subterranean vermin

I've been waiting for this thing to make an appearance for a long time.  I have a dupe specifically designated to protect the colony from hostile threats.  He spends all day staring at the paintings on the wall because there's nothing for him to shoot, and that makes him sad.  And if my dupes don't get a source of renewable meat soon my hatches - the lifeblood of my colony's garbage disposal system - might find themselves "guests of honor" at the BBQ my chef has been planning.

A source of danger more in line with the game's ethos than monsters or disasters would be fire.

Fire is created when a source of ignition (sparks from an existing fire, electrical overloads, high temperatures), comes into contact with a flammable object (a building or a duplicant) in the presence of a catalyst (oxygen). It consumes the catalyst, damages the flammable object, and produces heat and smoke (an unbreathable gas lighter than polluted oxygen but heavier than hydrogen). Mechanically, it would be a really interesting system to play with.

4 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

A source of danger more in line with the game's ethos than monsters or disasters would be fire.

Fire is created when a source of ignition (sparks from an existing fire, electrical overloads, high temperatures), comes into contact with a flammable object (a building or a duplicant) in the presence of a catalyst (oxygen). It consumes the catalyst, damages the flammable object, and produces heat and smoke (an unbreathable gas lighter than polluted oxygen but heavier than hydrogen). Mechanically, it would be a really interesting system to play with.

Yes! And imagine the interplay/synergy with the gas systems: how fire will just explode in a pure O2 environment. It could easily be added to the list of big bad bosses of the game: stress, oxygen, heat, fire prevention. Or the player-made creations that will come up to induce fire in controlled rooms for a specific purpose...maybe finally a way to destroy all the trash materials that build up (Sedimentary rock, bottled gasses, etc.)

1 minute ago, Atlas888 said:

Yes! And imagine the interplay/synergy with the gas systems: how fire will just explode in a pure O2 environment. It could easily be added to the list of big bad bosses of the game: stress, oxygen, heat, fire prevention.

Thinking about it now, fire prevention as a concept also lends itself well to the existing research tiers.

Tier 1 fire prevention would be single-use, duplicant-manned fire extinguishers. They would be easy to use, but would expose the dupes using them to danger and need to be rebuilt after use.

Tier 2 would be ceiling mounted sprinklers, capable of spraying water left and right when they detect  smoke. More efficient, but they require a lot more infrastructure and result in water everywhere.

Tier 3 doesn't need to be a new feature: simply encourage players to make everything in their base out of plastic and metal in order to eliminate the possibility of fire.

Although I would like to see a gas-type detector for the automation system, so you could detect smoke and allow people to come up with various inventive, albeit impractical, ways to smother the fire. Release heavily compressed CO2 pockets into the base or something.

The one thing that i hope gets 'fixed' in the next update is the game remembering your material choice for all pipes, tubes, blocks, walls, vents, etc. Now, it defaults to whatever you have the most of and im constantly, CONSTANTLY, placing down the wrong material. Thank god for the MOD on material color and onion patcher (actually thanks to @Etiam @Moonkis) Link here: 

Before that mod, i would construct entire project wings of the incorrect material because of the fickleness of the game deciding when it will ignore your preferences for default material choice. And how many times have a placed down the wrong electrical wiring? So annoying!

Hope that gets fixed ASAP

:)

Food overhaul is what I want to see the most.  So that would include animal farming (?) or whatever method we're gonna use for reliable meat, an upgrade of farming plants into whatever that's going to look like (presumably similar but more balanced than Agri Update was) and for food quality requirements to mean something - high stress or sickness for low quality foods maybe?

Managing food is far too easy at the moment, it's really shallow compared to much of the rest of the game.

I'm also quite curious about how some of the other materials we see listed in filters (or in debug) are going to fit into the game - helium, steel, mercury, etc.

"Dream mode on"

Food - to stimulate using of different types of food:

1. Combine food / medic mechanics, - specific food can stimulate hot/cold resistance, stimulate immunity maybe something like "vitamins status" that depends of food diversity
  2. add debuff for uncooked food - if you eat mealwood fruit from ground you have food poisoning or something else
  3. add drinks - now we not care about water
  4. grill (and other production buildings) - now we must use different station for each product or manual change - ideal if we can check number of food type to cook - bbq, frostbun etc - and station cook them as soon as have ingridients

Monsters

1. add breeding mechanics for meat source monsters "hatch etc?"
  2. add germs to monsters - hutch is dirty alien if it travel inside your base it spreads germs
  3.  danger monsters lairs in resource reach areas - stimulate to use automation for access control
  4. monsters near POI
  5. monster plant that spread from root and try to expand ... but can be source of some organic "algae/slime?"

Fire - good idea, some additional points

1. blow mechanics - if we have mix of flammable gas with oxygen (and with chlorine in real world) it can blow if temp/pressure high - destroy objects
  2. oil - have high temps - if we allow oxygen flow to hot oil - fire until oxygen present with high temp production

"Dream mode off"

But anyway fire/blow mechanics looks too complex for realization 

18 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

This is the other item on my wish list.  I want flammable materials, careless wiring, and insufficient heat management to present a challenge.  Fires consuming oxygen, damaging buildings, and harming dupes sounds like a lot of fun.  A firefighting job (no tech required) could be the baseline defense against flames with other, more advanced options like sprinkler systems, fire retardant materials, etc coming online as research progresses.

12 hours ago, TheOlz said:

Managing food is far too easy at the moment, it's really shallow compared to much of the rest of the game.

On the other hand, you don't want food to be too stringent or punishing.  It takes a long time to research and build the tech required to grow stuff like sleet wheat, so punishing too severely players who fail to do that in a timely manner could present a negative experience to many players (especially new players).

How I'd handle food is replace the stress effect from meal expectation with nutritional value.  Foods poor in nutrition such as mush bars and meal lice, could attack a dupe's immunity in the same way germs do while highly nutritious meals like stuffed berries could boost immunity recovery.  This way germs become a little more potent, food quality matters, and players would have multiple options for dealing with the problems presented by both.  You could focus on growing and cooking better food, or you could use lower quality food and supplement nutrition with vitamin chews.

32 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

HAHAHA!!

Surprise! Dupes are getting jobs!

But what could it mean though?? Don't they already have jobs... New job types maybe? What kinds of new jobs could exist? Let's theorycraft!

Oh, maybe this means an economy, with an NPC to purchase items or services from?

10 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Oh, I already have an idea. :D

Hide contents

body_cook_0.png.401e81eaf904220d65d605b8d1f677b7.pngbody_doctor_0.png.ed9064eb8b6159cd600a65cfc70ed88b.pngbody_mechanic_0.png.7996dcc2b263493e574f84dd75a613be.pngbody_miner_0.png.1e66b41970d8127bdb74fa86576bca51.pngbody_scientist_0.png.75a09653233d7acab17f2fa02d678845.pngbody_athlete_0.png.12251f575f6ed53739aa4171d14b031c.pngbody_bodybuilder_0.png.d46b6767d4b420678d0e205669e64eff.png

Okay now where did you get that from lol. I guess just like we have Room bonuses, new clothing that helps dupes be more effective at different jobs. Perhaps even a way to train certain skills?

I sure hope one of those is a firefighter outfit :)

Archived