Are mushrooms the perfect crop?

4 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

in this case, can you share your trick NanoD? ;)

This is basic ide you build so that they get trapped in a single tile then build a door over it. Then they will poop maximum amount.

Trapp

Trapp

Put a door over it

Trapped

or you can just hunt them and build lots of doors :P. Then I build outhouses close and fill it up and let the morbs out. And build a room around. 

But it would have been nice to have a trapp to catch them :P. And get them to a special room. But considering 1 single puff can process 100 kg of PO cycle. :) New numbers for this patch :p 

Slicksters are the greatest creatures off the face of the earth, not only do they convert co2 to oil 1:1, but they do it so fast that I can get rid of my scrubbers.  6 of them took all my co2 from 6 nat gas gens and 7 dups and were still begging for more.

If it were not against the laws of nature, I would marry one of them :)

4 hours ago, Pi2 said:

Slicksters are the greatest creatures off the face of the earth, not only do they convert co2 to oil 1:1, but they do it so fast that I can get rid of my scrubbers.  6 of them took all my co2 from 6 nat gas gens and 7 dups and were still begging for more.

If it were not against the laws of nature, I would marry one of them :)

The asteroid has no laws - bride or groom?

Congratulations! :D 

21 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I do like mushrooms mid-game, though.  They don't use a lot of slime and their upkeep is almost as easy as mealwood.  I just stick them in my rooms with the output from my NGGs (I haven't encountered the oil biome yet).  

To be fair the reason I stay away from mushrooms all game isn't so much that they "use" slime it's more the fact that your dupes have to do work to actually get it to them, that's time they could be spending on other things.  Mealwood is literally just plant and forget until it's harvest time.

9 minutes ago, Sabranan said:

To be fair the reason I stay away from mushrooms all game isn't so much that they "use" slime it's more the fact that your dupes have to do work to actually get it to them, that's time they could be spending on other things.  Mealwood is literally just plant and forget until it's harvest time

I wounder if mealwood takes more time. just because you have to harvest them 4 times more than mushrooms. I havent tested it. but would be interesting to know. I think they give slime 2 times per growth cycle.

20 hours ago, NanoD said:

This is basic ide you build so that they get trapped in a single tile then build a door over it. Then they will poop maximum amount. ...

But it would have been nice to have a trapp to catch them :P. And get them to a special room. But considering 1 single puff can process 100 kg of PO cycle. :) New numbers for this patch :p 

Thanks for sharing.  And I didn't know they pooped that much. ;)

18 hours ago, YiinHikari said:

Excuse me, can you please explain this for me? I'm still learning about the mechanics of this great game :)

This is a way to spawn morbs. You make and outhouse somewhere and let dupes use it untill it needs to be emptied. You dont let them empty it(usually requires a door and tiles so they cant access it) and wait a few cycles. After a few cycles a morb spawns from the uncleaned outhouse. One outhouse can spawn 3 morbs. You need to deconstruct and build a new one, because the old one doesnt spawn more after it has been cleaned and filled up again

23 minutes ago, Jackblac said:

One outhouse can spawn 3 morbs. You need to deconstruct and build a new one, because the old one doesnt spawn more after it has been cleaned and filled up again

If you reload the game, the out house will continue spawn more morbs.

17 hours ago, NanoD said:

I wounder if mealwood takes more time. just because you have to harvest them 4 times more than mushrooms. I havent tested it. but would be interesting to know. I think they give slime 2 times per growth cycle.

The problem I have with mealwood is that the dupes only eat 800kcal in one sitting. Thus they're stopping what they're doing and eating more frequently.A raw mushroom is twice the kcal value and they will eat that in one sitting and eat half as often.

Now when it comes to other 1000kcal dishes, dupes will eat either 1000kcal or 2000kcal depending on whether the calorimeter is below 2000 or not. 

The mushrooms take up half as much space in food storage - which is a big enough perk. I go for a long time on mealwood, but when they start getting far away from the dinner table building or exploring, it starts getting real annoying if you have a low numbers playthrough going on.

I might consider pickling the aftermath of my mealwood farming cycles just to cut down on food storage. I've got no problem burning hatch turds to power the grill...there's enough igneous rock and sandstone to go around surely.

3 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

The mushrooms take up half as much space in food storage - which is a big enough perk.

Well it is not really true, mushrooms 1600 kcal weights 1 kg and meal lice 100 kcal weights 1 kg. So it takes 16 times more space. One of the reasons I dont like mealwood. But if you grow them CO2 you can just leave them on the ground.

25 minutes ago, NanoD said:

Well it is not really true, mushrooms 1600 kcal weights 1 kg and meal lice 100 kcal weights 1 kg. So it takes 16 times more space. One of the reasons I dont like mealwood. But if you grow them CO2 you can just leave them on the ground.

Lol, yeah, 16 times as much. This would explain the 11 refrigerators I had to build. 

There's a pretty significant trade off for Mushrooms though.  Farm space.  It's 3.75 Mealwoods/Dupe (3000kcal/growing period required) that you can pretty much put anywhere, or 6.25 Mushrooms/Dupe (10,000 kcal/ growing period required) with special gas requirements.  For 5 dupes, that's 31 farm tiles you're constantly sliming vs. ~19 planter boxes you setup and forget until harvest day.  That daily requirement is just brutal on worker load, at least in my experience.

It can certainly be argued that space isn't really a big deal.  I typically build my coal generator room (and Heavi-Watt wire service tunnel(s)) as a CO2 trap and simply expand down 13 farms at a time as I get seeds for 2 dupes/level.  It takes its toll, though, trying to keep slime PO from abusing the crops too much on extended pathing through the farms, which is partially an engineering challenge and can also be worked around. 

But, perfect crop?  Not sure if I'd go that far.  They're nice, though.

1 hour ago, WanderingKid said:

There's a pretty significant trade off for Mushrooms though.  Farm space.  It's 3.75 Mealwoods/Dupe (3000kcal/growing period required) that you can pretty much put anywhere, or 6.25 Mushrooms/Dupe (10,000 kcal/ growing period required) with special gas requirements. 

You are missing one thing you get 2 mushrooms a harvest. So you get 3200 kcal per harvest. So you need 3.125 plant per dupe.

So fewer plants than mealwood, you need to fill with slime 4 times for each growth cycle. so in 10 cycles you will harvest 1 time and slime up 4 times.

Mealwood you will harvest 3 times in 10 cycles. Remember that harvesting takes lot more time than sliming.

1 hour ago, NanoD said:

You are missing one thing you get 2 mushrooms a harvest. So you get 3200 kcal per harvest. So you need 3.125 plant per dupe.

How the heck did I miss that when I was doing my original look at different harvestables?!  Errr... Pardon me, I'll be down in the dark black stuff harvesting up some shrooms!

30 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

How the heck did I miss that when I was doing my original look at different harvestables?!  Errr... Pardon me, I'll be down in the dark black stuff harvesting up some shrooms!

Yeah, it's a wonderful yield reward for the problems of dealing with slime. Other crops simply don't add up.

On 27/9/2017 at 6:58 AM, Jackblac said:

This is a way to spawn morbs. You make and outhouse somewhere and let dupes use it untill it needs to be emptied. You dont let them empty it(usually requires a door and tiles so they cant access it) and wait a few cycles. After a few cycles a morb spawns from the uncleaned outhouse. One outhouse can spawn 3 morbs. You need to deconstruct and build a new one, because the old one doesnt spawn more after it has been cleaned and filled up again

Thank you, I learned this just today, before I read this. I understand now. Thank you for responding me! n_n

2 hours ago, ParaMart said:

I think it can be a good idea to leave the mushrooms alone in the wild and just supply them with a bit of CO2, then you won't have to fertilize with slime.

Easy to build a room for them tbh. 

Pump your CO2 in near the top, fit a pump top left to skim any nuisance gasses that occur from slime delivery/airlocks depending on your setup. I've taken to putting my grills in the room with my shrooms and using thermo switches to regulate - also means the dupes will generally use up any floating packets of O2/PO2 as an added bonus. Minimal effort, maximum reward :) 

image.thumb.png.6eed32f27e11feec9cde361ed2bd7166.png

Use a few mesh tiles for airlow - and your dupes even destress whilst there :p

image.thumb.png.f9b88ccbbd3b184a429deeeb821bdf51.png

Archived