Are mushrooms the perfect crop?

1 hour ago, manu_x32 said:

Dupes can breath in CO2 now?  (or at least long enough to enjoy cooking there)

They can breathe if there are the occasional pocket of PO2 from delivering slime, or they can hold their breath long enough to cook one fried mushrooms at a time (which is what I want per grill)

Has something changed in the latest patches, or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

12 dupes working full time on only maintaining 36 mushrooms (3 each) are having a hard time keeping up with feeding the slime to all the shrooms.  And it doesn't seem like pufts are producing much slime anymore.  Having a hard time with that too.  It was going well when I had 6-8 dupes, but now with 12, it's not going very well.  I only have shrooms though, got rid of all mealwood.  Maybe it's because they now have to go fetch the slime with atmo suits outside the base (really not far, right outside, and then come back and use ore scrubbers to clean the slime. Earlier in the game, they didn't have the atmo suits and the or scrubbers to slow them down.  You can see my setup below. It seems to be going well right now, because I cheated in debug,  I pasted a bunch of morbs and pufts to try to catch up.  But my slime count is still very low, under 20kg at all times.   I also put 12 atmo suits docks to that slime area access, one for each dupe, to make sure they can all work on it.  I used to have more shrooms, to be able to do fried mushrooms, but I had to reduce to the minimum of 3 each (eating them raw), otherwise I had more than haft of them not being slimed properly.  And they always slimed the same ones, leaving some of them completely unslimed.

image.thumb.png.bf856ab60c793b63d087bf9ea1405f81.png

7 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

Has something changed in the latest patches, or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

12 dupes working full time on only maintaining 36 mushrooms (3 each) are having a hard time keeping up with feeding the slime to all the shrooms.  And it doesn't seem like pufts are producing much slime anymore.  Having a hard time with that too.  It was going well when I had 6-8 dupes, but now with 12, it's not going very well.  I only have shrooms though, got rid of all mealwood.  Maybe it's because they now have to go fetch the slime with atmo suits outside the base (really not far, right outside, and then come back and use ore scrubbers to clean the slime. Earlier in the game, they didn't have the atmo suits and the or scrubbers to slow them down.  You can see my setup below. It seems to be going well right now, because I cheated in debug,  I pasted a bunch of morbs and pufts to try to catch up.  But my slime count is still very low, under 20kg at all times.   I also put 12 atmo suits docks to that slime area access, one for each dupe, to make sure they can all work on it.  I used to have more shrooms, to be able to do fried mushrooms, but I had to reduce to the minimum of 3 each (eating them raw), otherwise I had more than haft of them not being slimed properly.  And they always slimed the same ones, leaving some of them completely unslimed.

image.thumb.png.bf856ab60c793b63d087bf9ea1405f81.png

Your pufts are too dispersed and your polluted water is not emitting enough gas. Try this sort of setup :-

image.thumb.png.9c99748ebbaea572fa9904af4483cf43.png

Pufts can literally be trapped behind a pneumatic door if you like, just stop them from moving around so much, give them plenty of PO2, and you'll be swimming in slime in no time.

Also, move you slime WAAAY closer to your shroom area. Here's mine (slimes in the compactors highlighted) :

image.thumb.png.cee179714a1a0f74d03ccd57dd148ff4.png

@Lifegrow interesting, didn't know that pufts needed to be locked in a small space to produce more.

And maybe that's why slime delivery  seemed to work better in some of my previous games, I had a closeby chlorine room.

So, polluted water will emit more by making a bunch of 1 tile high tunnels, instead of a big lake like I have. Makes sense, more water surface for emitting.

Thanks a bunch, I'll try those! 

39 minutes ago, manu_x32 said:

@Lifegrow interesting, didn't know that pufts needed to be locked in a small space to produce more.

And maybe that's why slime delivery  seemed to work better in some of my previous games, I had a closeby chlorine room.

So, polluted water will emit more by making a bunch of 1 tile high tunnels, instead of a big lake like I have. Makes sense, more water surface for emitting.

Thanks a bunch, I'll try those! 

You're welcome as ever. The one I posted isn't the most effective bang for your buck, but I liked the aesthetics ;) 

On 29/9/2017 at 9:01 AM, manu_x32 said:

Dupes can breath in CO2 now?  (or at least long enough to enjoy cooking there)

Fairly certain dupes get the "low oxygen" debuff to stress as soon as they are not in O or PO, so at best it gets countered by decor expectation. Have been trying out the oil update, and here's what I've got so far:

-Probably my RNG, but it seems shroom availability was nerfed in a non-insignificant way. Had to forage for enough shrooms to start a decent farm, as opposed to just having the seeds available after digging up a swamp chunk.

-Also slime became a problem around cycle 80, when it used to be a non-issue well past triple digits

-Kinda feels like they grow slower, tho I can't vouch for this one, since I don't rememeber old growth time, would like confirm or denial

Very helpful data crunching here, and it looks like numbers favour starting mealwoods, then going for shrooms as soon as tech allows, so I can definitely see shrooms being nerfed and other crops being buffed in the foreseeable future, as we currently have zero incentive to grow anything but.

38 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

You're welcome as ever. The one I posted isn't the most effective bang for your buck, but I liked the aesthetics ;) 

Not really a real game setup, and I don't really have space for a real one like yours with polluted water in my current layout, but at least this test works way better than what I had.  I'm now above 300kg slime and growing, instead of barely making it to 20 kg.

image.png.57383d935ff354278348db39c00d7274.png

3 minutes ago, Byste said:

I notice this screnshot seems to have MaterialMod active. Are you playing on 235374 patch? How did you get them to play nice with each other?

I just saw your post in the Material Color thread.  I'm not sure really, I installed the mod for the first time yesterday night.

How do I verify what patch I'm running?

@manu_x32, if you get caught up on Kcals with the mushrooms you can disable their autoharvest feature and wait until they all mature at one time. have as many people harvesting them as possible, and your mushrooms tarm tiles or planter boxes will all start requesting slime at the same time - duplican'ts will therefore pick up larger hand fulls of slime and make multiple deliveries in one trip.

I had this problem with shrooms - they were running back and forth delivering 10kg blobs ..getting PO everywhere because the harvests were being done too late in the cycle - so demand was getting spread out across half a cycle.

1 hour ago, The Plum Gate said:

@manu_x32, if you get caught up on Kcals with the mushrooms you can disable their autoharvest feature and wait until they all mature at one time. have as many people harvesting them as possible, and your mushrooms tarm tiles or planter boxes will all start requesting slime at the same time - duplican'ts will therefore pick up larger hand fulls of slime and make multiple deliveries in one trip.

I had this problem with shrooms - they were running back and forth delivering 10kg blobs ..getting PO everywhere because the harvests were being done too late in the cycle - so demand was getting spread out across half a cycle.

Good trick, makes sense, thanks a lot, I will try to sync them that way.  Dupes are so stupid. ;)

I'd say that berries are much better than shrooms in the endgame, once you can afford the cooling.

They take no dupetime to fertilize, meaning you can have as many as you can afford to use water on. Which, even without the minimal irrigation exploit, is quite a lot. The cooling requirement is a *****, but it's nothing a grill of cold gas can't solve, especially if you have a properly set valve to prevent geyser water buildup.

I once tried a challenge colony with no mealwood and no shrooms and it was pretty hard to start, but once I got it properly running, it was very cheap on dupetime, only requiring harvest and sweep every ~4 cycles. Almost like mealwood, except with shroom storage capability.

10 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

Not really a real game setup, and I don't really have space for a real one like yours with polluted water in my current layout, but at least this test works way better than what I had.  I'm now above 300kg slime and growing, instead of barely making it to 20 kg.

image.png.57383d935ff354278348db39c00d7274.png

Animal rights!

6 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

I'd say that berries are much better than shrooms in the endgame, once you can afford the cooling.

They take no dupetime to fertilize, meaning you can have as many as you can afford to use water on. Which, even without the minimal irrigation exploit, is quite a lot. The cooling requirement is a *****, but it's nothing a grill of cold gas can't solve, especially if you have a properly set valve to prevent geyser water buildup.

I once tried a challenge colony with no mealwood and no shrooms and it was pretty hard to start, but once I got it properly running, it was very cheap on dupetime, only requiring harvest and sweep every ~4 cycles. Almost like mealwood, except with shroom storage capability.

Agreed, they are easy, but they cost so much water, it's the plant that requires the most water.

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

Define "very" to get absolution from PETA!
^^

well if it was my choice, I would herd them like free range or free run chickens, free to move around and have a bit of a life, but the game forces us to be monsters to be able to produce decent amounts of slime. ;)

Just now, manu_x32 said:

Agreed, they are easy, but they cost so much water, it's the plant that requires the most water.

It takes less than 5% more of it than sleet wheat, in the measure that matters (water/kcal). No one farms sleet wheat for efficiency.

Berries aren't exactly easy - they're the second hardest plant to set up - they're just work efficient once it is all up.

14 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

It takes less than 5% more of it than sleet wheat, in the measure that matters (water/kcal). No one farms sleet wheat for efficiency.

Berries aren't exactly easy - they're the second hardest plant to set up - they're just work efficient once it is all up.

Unless I'm missing something, sleet wheat is 20kg/cycle and blossom is 80kg/cycle, so 4 times more. But at least it doesn't require fertilizer.

EDIT: ok didn't take in account water/cal.  Have to look into it... ;)

@Lifegrow  I'm trying your polluted water tunnels and it seems to indeed produce a lot.  I also tried a room with 12 morbs to compare. But it seems like morbs stop emitting po2 when there current atmosphere >=1kg.  So I guess polluted water is really the way to do it. Polluted water emitting doesn't seem to have a cap.

EDIT: actually morbs seem to continue emitting when submerged in polluted water, nice!

@Lifegrow  Hey, just wanted to thank you again for all your advice, it really worked! I now have a bigger shroom farm feeding 16 dupes with fried shrooms! No more slime problems, no more shroom feeding problems, tons of po2 production.

The only problem was that my dupes kept getting emtombed, their head stuck in the airflow tiles while building the polluted water tunnels factory. You have any trick for that?

You can see I'm also using your electrolyzer setup. Didn't like it so much at first, but gained loved for it when I started to understand how to set the hydrogen switches properly, and realized that I could grow the size of the colony easily with it. Oxygen automatically readjusts it's production when more dupes consume.

image.thumb.png.ee85afb731a1c07df9daebfaa6270193.png

Archived