The DST Tips n' Tricks Thread!

Just thought it'd be fun to have a whole thread focused on the little things you're so used to doing you usually don't even notice anymore.

So in this thread, we all reply with one of our tips n' tricks for new (or old) DST players! I'll start:

- Lureplants have smoldering priority, so if you only have enough materials for 1 ice flingomatic by summertime, you can build the flingomatic on your farms, and place the lureplant within it's range to prevent your base from burning (I've been doing this for 5 summers now)

- If you plant a Lureplant next to a pond surrounded by turf it cant make it's eyeplants on and keep it safe from frogs till it blooms, you can make the frog make the lureplant drop it's leafy meat, causing it to regenerate more in a few seconds. If you don't heal the lureplant while it's being repeatedly licked by the frog, you can get 9 leafy meats. More if you actually heal the lureplant while it's being licked.

So please share your DST tips and tricks here! You never know, there may be something other people don't know that you do...

8 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Powdercakes lure animals and it's a cheap way of having an infinite duration lure in a walled enclosure.

Pretty sure eternal fruitcakes do too (at least for gobblers, don't know about pigs and the rest, I'd assume so), and those will NEVER spoil! Tis the season and everything

7 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

Pretty sure eternal fruitcakes do too (at least for gobblers, don't know about pigs and the rest, I'd assume so), and those will NEVER spoil! Tis the season and everything

Fruitcakes are event-only items. But meh, they work too.

Tip: Rain coat does the same exact things an Eyebrella can do, and it's cheaper.

43 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

Traps work on frogs spiders and rabbits

and red mushrooms do the same damage to mobs when ingested so go an poison some animals :)

I discovered recently that it is possible to place a vegetable on the ground to bait a rabbit, and when the rabbit starts eating the bait you run up to it and kill it. You only have to stand close enough to be able to close the distance and smack it. The bait will not even get consumed. Beware that if you stand too close you might scare the rabbit away, when it gets close, and if multiple rabbits get baited they will run off once you kill one of them.

I wish I had figured this out while playing Don't Starve for the first time, instead of wasting time chasing rabbits back and forth.....

4 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

I discovered recently that it is possible to place a vegetable on the ground to bait a rabbit, and when the rabbit starts eating the bait you run up to it and kill it. You only have to stand close enough to be able to close the distance and smack it. The bait will not even get consumed. Beware that if you stand too close you might scare the rabbit away, when it gets close, and if multiple rabbits get baited they will run off once you kill one of them.

I wish I had figured this out while playing Don't Starve for the first time, instead of wasting time chasing rabbits back and forth.....

I used to that but I like using traps to hold them I still use the trick to rush prehattisator 

This may sound basic and silly and whatever. But man, The Ice Staff is pretty neat for a item I barely see used. It's cheap and easy to make and I always carry one around.

Bunch of annoying Gobblers? Ice staff. Mac Tusk kiting you like champ? Ice staff. Need some feathers or morsels fast? Ice staff some birds!

It can also instantly extinguish fire and stop things from smoldering! Can save your base or the local fauna if you got one with you.

I know this tip is just "Ice staff exists" But man... It exists!

55 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Tip: Getting a teammate to commit suicide and haunt hounds from a houndmound can get you enough gems for an early Shadow Manipulator.

I can typically get at least 1 red and 1 blue gem just from digging graves. I usually tend to get a bit of fuel for the manipulator this way too. Grab a shovel and head into a thick forest or find the graveyard. Lots of trinkets for gold and a chance at some early gears for an ice box.

37 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I can typically get at least 1 red and 1 blue gem just from digging graves. I usually tend to get a bit of fuel for the manipulator this way too. Grab a shovel and head into a thick forest or find the graveyard. Lots of trinkets for gold and a chance at some early gears for an ice box.

That works, but on public servers you usually never mind unlooted graveyards if you don't join on day 1. So I guess the ghost gemhunting thing would be used for a situation like that or something idunno

1) If you are unprepared or an amature fighter, run around beefalos during the first few hounds attacks. However, never stop running or get stuck, hounds run very fast. Only stop when all the hounds loses aggro. Beefalos are the best defense early on.

Recommend to build early base 2-3 screens away from beefalos.

2) First full moon is on day 11. Start finding deciduous forest and pig king on day 4-5. Gloomer statue is nearby pig king. Harvest gloomer flower during full moon. Gloomer is very good for sanity sustain during night time (put your gloomer near fire pit).

3) Once you have your alchemy engine, you can hammer down your science machine to get the resource back and save some space. Alchemy engine can craft everything including science machine stuff.

3 beginner tips for today. Hope you guys enjoy :)

12 minutes ago, ButtPenetrator said:

Gloomer statue is nearby pig king. Harvest gloomer flower during full moon. Gloomer is very good for sanity sustain during night time (put your gloomer near fire pit).

Gloomer, Glommer's depressed relative.

Not trying to be mean. Just wanted to make a joke.

This is less a tip and more like a rule i follow just because it looks scary or your going through some resources ot fight it doesn't mean it is scary or hard just keep a calm head and if you need a to run away plan a way out. Every thing can be defeated and overreacting isn't going to help you defeat the mob/boss

Also I just thought of @minespatch because he started and could probably use some of these tips cause he very new to playing the game as well

/

Well, then I guess I should input my 2 cents, here are a few things I found that becomes pretty invaluable for me:

-Hugging a pig gives +25sanity/min. Lead a homeless pig to your firepit at before night time and befriend it. It will go to sleep right next to your light source where you can hug it for a massive sanity gain. The pig may also be penned up.

-A thermal stone increases its temperature at a constant rate when near a source of heat of any intensity. Additionally, no matter what the thermal stone's temperature, it will always increase yours. This means that wearing both a piece of insulation and a thermal stone allows you to spend the least amount of time next to a fire source. You can drop a pine cone, light it on fire to get your thermal stone to yellow, and you can last for another 2 or so minutes in the world -depending on your piece of insulation.

-A thermal stone at it's hottest level emits light, allowing you to stave off Charlie.

-The deerclops does not destroy structure when he is aggro'd -even when he is inside your base.

-If you have too many monster meat, hire an army of pigmen to cut down an entire forest section for you. Or, turn them into werepig which drop 2 meat, and 1 pig skin.

-Having a bird allows you to create Bacon and Eggs out of a single piece of meat/morsel and 3 monster meat in total. You can give a bird 2 cooked monster meat to retrieve 2 eggs. Then, make bacon and eggs with 1 monster meat, 1 morsel, and 2 eggs. This is a better long-term alternative to meatballs as it heals a sizable amount of health and lasts for a total of 40 days inside an ice box.

-Eggs going bad? Cook them and feed them back to the bird in order to get fresh eggs.

-Living in the ruins? Create pockets of firepits in various notable locations such as the military biome and the wilds.

Since no one has metioned this yet make sure you do conversions when ever possible to save on resources

Spoiled raw ham can be used to make a fresh ham bat you just need 2 raw hams and some twigs and pigskin
The cooked version can be done the same to make a meat effegy really useful if you are wilson
Food going bad in the ice box put it in the crock pot and make a dish even if its not good its still better then eating it raw and you get a sanity gain

you can also make near broken tools into fresh shadow puppets for maxwell don't forget to hit them when your done using them so you get one nightmare fuel back
or make a broken spear into a fresh poison spear if you have shipwrecked ok I'll stop talking now this is just really fun for me cause now I can help people being a walking talking encyclopedia  for don't starve

Here's a tip that I always follow especially on public servers and when lag goes high:

Have a stock of twis (and/or grass) in your first inventory space.

The reason is simple, if a frog hits you, you'll lose that item, and you not always can retrieve it (for example when you're in danger), so it's better to have one less twig than dropping a good weapon. Don't forget that even while riding a beefalo frogs can kick items out from your pocket, which is that extra annoying.

11 hours ago, ButtPenetrator said:

1) If you are unprepared or an amature fighter, run around beefalos during the first few hounds attacks. However, never stop running or get stuck, hounds run very fast. Only stop when all the hounds loses aggro. Beefalos are the best defense early on.

Recommend to build early base 2-3 screens away from beefalos.

Depending on Beefalo like this is a bad habit and just makes you seem like you don't know what you're doing. You can take out hound attacks with just a hambat (which can be bundled up in a bundling wrap so it never spoils), and you can get manure with a werepig and some berries far faster than Beefalo can produce it.

Treeguards are you best friend. Their agro can easily be dealt with early on by planting pine cones or simply getting them to attack other mobs. Lead a treeguard to your hound mounds or a pig village to set up an early automated meat grinder. Having trouble dealing with seasonal giants? Let your your friendly neighbourhood treeguards take care of it.

I see a lot of inexperienced players just spend the night standing next to a Campfire/Fire Pit doing nothing. Especially new Willow players, because they don't realize how insignificant 10 sanity per minute is.

Get a Torch to explore, cook in the Crock Pot, craft some items, just do something. Standing still is almost always a waste of time unless it's to maintain your body temperature during the Winter and Summer seasons.

The first Autumn should be mainly spent exploring most of the entire map. Even in the night, just use a torch. This allows you to become familiar with the map and gives you a better idea of where to build your base.

Exploring also gives you more materials to craft with and maybe you could even get some valuable items like Gears along the way. Don't be so eager to immediately build a base in the first few days, you'll regret it later when you find a better spot.

Also, there's this: https://www.reddit.com/r/dontstarve/5i31qu/

To deal with Frog rain

Stock up on grass and twigs to make about 10 traps in the spring. When the frog rain comes, agro all the frogs and train them into the traps to easily clean up the frogs. -or- Build your base somewhat near (but not too close) to a Goose nest and train the frogs to the Goose. The frogs will eventually kill it for you, but not before the Goose kills most of them. You get free meat, frog legs, drumsticks and down feathers for very little effort.

The abundance of frog legs gives you a few options (I've gotten over 100 frog legs doing this in one spring, two full stacks of 40 and a partial 3rd stack).

• First turn raw Frog Legs into Small Jerky on drying racks to make them last longer (you will have so much meat, it will spoil before you can eat it all unless you dry it)
  • Feed Cooked Frog Legs or Small Jerky to a caged Bird for Eggs
    • Cook the eggs and trade the to Pig King for gold
    • Save the eggs to combine with more frog legs & monster/meat for Bacon & Eggs
    • Cook the Eggs when they start to go bad to make them last longer
    • Feed the Cooked Eggs to a caged Bird when they start to go bad to get new fresh Eggs
  • Use Raw, Cooked, or Dried frog legs for easy meatballs or bunwiches
  • Combine 2 legs with a meat and a monster meat for meaty stew

Archived