The DST Tips n' Tricks Thread!

Early game when playing with a Wigfrid help her hunt meat, considering meat is more scarce than vegetables.

You don't even need a spear to help her hunt meat, an axe can kill a Gobbler in 2 hits, a frog in 4 hits (wait out the tongue intervals).

Mole worms 2 hits with an axe for a tasty morsel.

Most importantly early game give all your meat to Wigfrid. (You have carrots, berries, seeds what else would you need?)

I know experienced players will shrug this off, but it's quite embarrassing seeing Wigfrid starving death notifications on a public server or with your friends.

Welcome+to+don+t+starve+together+beta+ma 

If you ran out of all the mineable rocks in the world or just don't wanna bother with that stuff and want a renewable source of rocks, nitre, flint and gold do something like this:

Surround a gold or any mineral by some walls and then whack some moles, make sure to dig their burrows, and then place them next to your mineral surrounded by walls. They won't be able to get to it but will keep trying and will constantly keep making new burrows arround after you dig them up which you can keep digging up for free minerals forever.

You don't need a Science Machine if you have an Alchemy Engine to prototype science recipes. This allows you to explore some more (with a Backpack) before settling down in the first few days as long as you've prototyped the Alchemy Engine to place later. The Prestihatitator is still useful for magic recipes while you have a Shadow Manipulator for that 10% chance to spawn Rabbits.

Not using a backpack allows you to use other great items such as:

- Rain Coat (100% rain protection + lightning protection)

- Puffy Vest (same insulation value as beefalo hat and hibearnation vest)

- Floral Shirt (best cooling item ingame, same value as eyebrella)

- Hunger Belt (ruins item, -40% hunger drain)

With the first 2 items, a miner hat and a thermal stone you can explore the caves midwinter without having to worry about the rain (raincoat has insulation value of 60, which helps a bit) and cold. You can also use a walking cane while exploring instead of switching to eyebrella in spring or winter.

point is you can give up your backpack for some great cheap items people, it's not like you can't live without one.

2 hours ago, Electroely said:

point is you can give up your backpack for some great cheap items people, it's not like you can't live without one.

But I can't live without my precious backpack!

Here's a trick for all you Wendy players out there.
You can craft extra Abigail's Flowers in your inventory to maintain 100% uptime on Abigail. The flowers will still bloom in your inventory even when you already have Abigail out, however, you can only have a single Abigail out at any given time. Once Abigail dies, the flower in your inventory will automatically bloom, allowing you to summon Abigail right back!

Here's a video demonstrating it

Spoiler

On 12/29/2016 at 8:47 PM, Electroely said:

Not using a backpack allows you to use other great items such as:

- Rain Coat (100% rain protection + lightning protection)

- Puffy Vest (same insulation value as beefalo hat and hibearnation vest)

- Floral Shirt (best cooling item ingame, same value as eyebrella)

- Hunger Belt (ruins item, -40% hunger drain)

But why give up your backpack when:

- An eyebrella is just as good as a rain coat, and Deerclops is incredibly easy to kill for it, so unless you're on a public server and desperate you should just use that.

- A puffy vest isn't that great when you could just throw on a Tam O' Shanter and burn a twig or two for warmth every few minutes.

- A floral shirt isn't the best cooling item in the game, a chilled amulet is, drop your backpack for a second when you start to overheat and equip and unequip the amulet rapidly. It won't lose any durability but will still cool you off.

- Unless you're Wolfgang, a belt of hunger isn't that great. Food is practically thrown at you, and you only lose 75 hunger a day.

2 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

When I wore the Bee Queen Crown, I noticed that I don't lose any sanity. I'm guessing it would be a great headgear for kiting bosses and monsters, intending to take no damage.

Bee Queen hat will turn negative sanity aura to positive sanity gain. However using bee queen hat to fight bosses is kind of not worth, because of its high cost and not-that-great stats. Would recommend log suit + tam o and have some sanity food instead. It will be much more cost effective.

You can even just fight bosses and shadow creature at the same time. Save up the sanity food. But this only applies to professional experienced fighter xD.

1 hour ago, HutGenerator said:

Bee Queen hat will turn negative sanity aura to positive sanity gain. However using bee queen hat to fight bosses is kind of not worth, because of its high cost and not-that-great stats. Would recommend log suit + tam o and have some sanity food instead. It will be much more cost effective.

You can even just fight bosses and shadow creature at the same time. Save up the sanity food. But this only applies to professional experienced fighter xD.

I said when kiting, not when tanking.

On 12/16/2016 at 4:41 PM, JellyUltra said:

- When hunting MacTusks, just run up to him and chase him a few screens away from the igloo, let a friend take care of the hounds or hope that they lose interest along the way. After he's far from the igloo he'll turn back and walk slowly in it's direction, you can kill him like this without him fighting back.

Eh, he does pause to shoot you. I prefer to use an ice staff to freeze him and then deal with the hounds. The hounds should be dead before Tusk is unfrozen. Once that's done, just go on a field day wacking and stunlocking him to death. You take les damage and it's easier than chasing him across for a while just to make him walk back slowly. It's slower than using the ice staff method as well.

I haven't seen this mentioned  but using a birds of the and sleepy time stories allowes you to farm krampus super fast, giving you a good chance to get a krampus sack if you do it for a few days. 

Edit: thulecite is also renewable in DST. Craft thulecite suits with the construction amulet and save 1 use for a deconstruction staff to break the suits for a profit to 10 thulecite from 2 green gems.

10 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

But why give up your backpack when:

- An eyebrella is just as good as a rain coat, and Deerclops is incredibly easy to kill for it, so unless you're on a public server and desperate you should just use that.

- A puffy vest isn't that great when you could just throw on a Tam O' Shanter and burn a twig or two for warmth every few minutes.

- A floral shirt isn't the best cooling item in the game, a chilled amulet is, drop your backpack for a second when you start to overheat and equip and unequip the amulet rapidly. It won't lose any durability but will still cool you off.

- Unless you're Wolfgang, a belt of hunger isn't that great. Food is practically thrown at you, and you only lose 75 hunger a day.

Well, head armor is generally better and more durable than chest armor (Battle Helms are the most used armor in DST I believe). Using a puffy vest in winter instead of a beefalo hat allows you to fight without having to worry about freezing all that much.

If you're planning on exploring the caves in winter / spring, you would really benefit from a rain coat. It gives 100% wetness protection AND 60 insulation (which, yes, I know, isn't significant, but still helps a little) allowing you to use a walking cane and a miner hat for max efficiency while exploring.

Hunger belt could really help if you're going a bit low on food or you're busy. Hunger belt makes you only use 45 hunger per day. Wearing one will make you worry less about food while exploring or doing a full time job (such as taming a beefalo, which takes 15-20 days of constant riding and feeding). As a Wigfrid main I find the hunger belt pretty useful since I usually feed on raw monster meat while going on long trips. Dunno about other characters, but I just like exploring with a hunger belt on.

I guess you can use a chilled amulet, but if you know how to live without a backpack, you can wear a floral shirt and take a chilled amulet with you so you don't have to stop to cool down.

Plus these items are just for people who know how to organize their inventory. If you don't know how to do that, just use a backpack cuz why not.

29 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Plus these items are just for people who know how to organize their inventory. If you don't know how to do that, just use a backpack cuz why not.

I organise my inventory but there is just so much stuff already, if I don't use the backpack, I can pick like one item before my inventory is full. Even with the one wrapping paper full to the brim.

14 hours ago, HutGenerator said:

However using bee queen hat to fight bosses is kind of not worth, because of its high cost and not-that-great stats. Would recommend log suit + tam o and have some sanity food instead. It will be much more cost effective.

Crown + LS would still be better than Tam + LS for those who have collected a lot (from Klaus and Bee Queen) and don't have a use for them. More of a luxury so you don't have to spend time and durability on Shadow Creatures.

You can use ones with low durability for sanity stations for Wickerbottom (after reading books) or WX (after charging up) made up of Treeguards, (Were)Pigs, or a stack of Tentacles around Evil Flowers. I think Crown + One-Man Band on Pigs would be best for multitasking, although (seemingly) limited to mowing trees or clearing something like swamps.

Inventory management is a skill like kiting or any other aspect of the game. If you can't manage without a backpack for any period of time, it's worth practicing to get better at it. The rain coat is great for caves exploration in spring and sanity maintenance (because you can wear the tam) whenever it rains. The fact that the game forces you to choose between it (and a floral shirt or hibearnation vest)  and a backpack is kind of the point. If you can plan ahead and get good at knowing what you really do and don't need, you benefit. People who use the raincoat in particular all seem to love it. Carrying a bunch of crap around with you everywhere you go is not actually the optimal way to play the game, although obviously there are situations where you need as much inventory space as possible.

It may be tempting to keep Wetness resistance at 100% in rain, but it's not always needed if you can manage the meter. Even an upgraded WX-78 doesn't need to keep all that HP when traveling with HP food. Then again, that micromanaging may not be as worth it in harsh rain.

Try to maintain at least 80 HP (lol Maxwell) outside of intended combat as buffer against surprises (lag, Tentacle, general carelessness). It doesn't make sense seeing people die while having an unused stack of healing items.

On 31. 12. 2016 at 11:56 AM, HutGenerator said:

On 31. 12. 2016 at 1:30 PM, JohnWatson said:

I said when kiting, not when tanking.

You could just wear a Bee Queen Hat when riding and using a Beefalo to fight. It will never take any durability damage but it's sanity effect will remain.

And Ornery Beefalo + War Saddle is pretty much armor + dark sword + walking cane all in a neat package. And you can hold a Lantern in your hand while fighting too or use staves I believe.

Also another tip:

If you want to collect honey from bee boxes without having to do the annoying dance of collecting it and running away, build a flingo next to the boxes, set them on fire with a torch, all the bees will come out and get frozen by the flingo and you can just collect the honey without a hassle.

Archived