Warts and All [Game Update] - (BETA 191140)

Alright I've tested a bunch of stuff (still staying away from any videos or exact details on the toadstool fight).
It seems really weird that the scarecrow is used to get the canaries I would prefer if we would get the suggested mechanic of birds eating crops and having the canary spawn naturally maybe in a certain season (also really doesn't make sense that we can get them in winter).
The scaled furnace seems kinda disappointing I would prefer if we could at least cook on it or if it was turned into a reskin of the obsidian fire pit it but in its current state I don't really like it.
Not sure how the blueprints of the scarecrow and the furnace are dropped since no blueprints seem to come from the dragonfly (killed 60 just to be sure).
I really like the mushrooms hats and especially the lights although from what I've heard the toadstool fight is a little ridiculous. In my opinion all bosses should be doable alone with enough preparation but this one can apparently be extremely difficult for even a bunch of players. Also I heard it only drops one of each blueprint which I don't think is a good idea for a boss that seems to be intended to be fought by a large group and generally people shouldn't have to need a blueprint for the lamps since they gotta fight toadstool for the ingredients anyway (As I said I haven't fought it myself so what I said about it might not be true or I might've understood some stuff wrong sorry in that case).
I will give more feedback about the toadstool once I actually fought it myself.

• Like 3

One funny thing, when the Toadstool is spawned on the surface, it plays the moonbase fight music:

Also, just posting this image of him being adorable while sleeping, because why not:

Spoiler

VVlblof.png

Edited by Mudley
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

It seems really weird that the scarecrow is used to get the canaries I would prefer if we would get the suggested mechanic of birds eating crops and having the canary spawn naturally maybe in a certain season (also really doesn't make sense that we can get them in winter).

Oh yes, this so much! Please make canaries appear in summer and give scarecrow something else to do! This mechanic just seems so weirdly out of place. 

Edited by Mueck

Hi @rezecib

thx for all informations

i can find all blueprint as Scaled Furnace or Mushlight / Glowcap or Funcaps

but i can't find for Scarecrow, same when i check in all files or in all scripts of the game

it's possible a bug? or it's possible that's from tumbleweed?

because it's don't from Dragonfly or Toadstool

Edited by ToNiO55

Since this update, I'm seeing patches of map markers appear out in the unexplored ocean on old servers.  Catcoons, touchstones, trees, that sort of thing.  Going out of bounds reveals there's nothing there.

On a more distressing note, my canaries aren't inflating and exploding.  They just die like any other bird.

31 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

On a more distressing note, my canaries aren't inflating and exploding.  They just die like any other bird

Same with mine.

Also do the scarecrow and scaled furnace blueprints really drop from dragonfly because neither seem to be unlocked with research machines but I killed 200 dragonflies and no blueprints dropped.

Edited by Michi01

I absolutely love the new boss, I like it's mechanics, for they are new. I can go over the absurd amount of health but for the effort needed to kill him we get... the ability to just build one of 2 lamps? The lamps are cool looking I'll give you that and the small light radius but otherwise that's it? For a boss that has over 100k health? The torch is all you need if you need light, so it's just about the visual aspect of the lamps then. I guess it really is just about the fun of killing such a difficult boss.

I feel like there are not enough survival mechanics left for which new useful items can be created. How about a better beehat that protects for 100% bee damage so that you can easily collect honey? Or a special crockpot that when used gives you a full fresh dish? A special saddle that enables 2 players to ride a beefalo, a special saddle that offers some extra inventory space, a special building/stable used to park your domesticated beefaloes. Gates? Different looking chests(skins?)? Give us a boss that drops a recipe to combine the eyebrella with a football helmet or a thulecite crown, something that the player can look for to achieve after 1-2 in game years.

There's a point after 1 game year where 2 players can end up not having anything new to do. I am not talking about extra things like dragonfly, frog boss, or ruins, I am referring to challenges that the player cannot avoid during certain seasons, read heat, cold, wetness. Someone mentioned pests, birds that might feed on your crops during autumn, myself I also thought the scarecrow would be used to cover areas from these nasty birds that would feed on your berries and vegetables.

Latest content is okish so far, but still lacks in good rewards that one gets to make it a worthy to experience.

Edited by t1morino88eex

• Developer
3 hours ago, Michi01 said:

Also do the scarecrow and scaled furnace blueprints really drop from dragonfly because neither seem to be unlocked with research machines but I killed 200 dragonflies and no blueprints dropped.

These will be fixed in the next patch

• Like 3

@ToNiO55 Yeah, looks like it's impossible to make a scarecrow at the moment. It's marked as TECH.LOST which means you can't unlock it with a prototyper, and that's what all the other special-blueprint recipes use. Scarecrows are not spawned by worldgen and there is no blueprint for them (yet?).

My guess is that TECH.LOST might actually have been a mistake, seeing as converting crows to canaries isn't THAT useful (but the electric darts are still nice for, say, farming volt goats), and it's gated behind pumpkins anyway.

• Like 4

• Developer
18 minutes ago, rezecib said:

He said it will be fixed. What I was saying was that I would guess the fix to be changing it from TECH.LOST to science machine tech or something.

I thought he meant they would drop from their proper bosses, judging by the posts he quoted when saying that. *shrug*

Honestly, I feel a bit disappointed by all of this. These small updates provide such a great challenge (which is good, to be honest) for more than one player (which I don't know how I should feel about, it's a mixed opinion because it's good to have something to take down with a group of friends, much like raids; but also limits what a single player can do alone in a server) for such little and pathetic reward. Let's analyze what you actually bare-bones get from this update:

- Scaled Furnace, which got me absurdly hyped because I thought it was going to be a structure in the likeness of an Obsidian Fire Pit, turns out it's just a stuff you place and then you forget about. Too bad, because it looks so cool. A good thing would it be to make it litterally a monstrously high temperature Obsidian Fire Pit, and then it would be kind of worth it to kill a 27K HP BOSS;

- The Toadstool, Mr. SLIGHTLY MORE 5 TIMES THE HP OF A DRAGONFLY provides you with even a more pathetic reward: A fuel-based RGB light. Really? You could have gone full crazy on this one. It's litterally the hardest boss. BY FAR. Give us something worth the fight. Like, I don't know, you know how there are the so called "Zombification Mushrooms"? Yeah, give us a tool to command something for some time, or even to create or own brain-washed full time minion until he dies, or even, talking about mushrooms and what appears to be a giant frog, a weapon that locks enemies or even people into place, or grabs them or anything, or even a chest with more spaces but makes food rot incredibly fast inside, anything, really, but NOT the Almost Useless trophy, like the Scaled Flooring.

- Still have to test the Electric Darts (if they stun-lock the **** out of stuff then it's amazing), and I love the new bird, but why do we need to find a blueprint for the damn scarecrow? Or for anything else in this update? I get it for the Scaled Disappointment and the RGB Disco "Totally not worth it" Lights but why for the Mushroom Hats and the Scarecrow too? I don't get it.

• Like 4

I absolutely agree with all points raised by @Ocralist. New boss is cool, reward for it is an absolute disappointment. Same for the scarecrow blueprint, I simply cannot see why one shouldn't be able to just build it in the first place. There's barely any incentive to craft the lightning darts. Unless we're expected to stack a few of them and use them on the toadstoal during that time when he gets 5xtimes the damage? Oh, Klei... 

Spouse and I ruined a perfectly good morning attempting to kill the toadstool, got so frustrated we just had to shut the game off.  All I wanted was a blueprint for the damned mushroom hat.  Can someone please just give me a spawn name so I don't rage delete this game purely because of that stupid toadstool (honestly I don't care about it being stupidly OP -okay I do because wtf Klei-, what I hate is that it's time based.)

• Like 2

Okay here are my thoughts on the update and some suggestions after testing everything:

The toadstool: I really like the new boss and its fight but as it has been mentioned a bunch of times now, it needs a nerf. Either decrease its health by a lot, remove the fleeing mechanic/make it possible to extend the fight or both. This idea probably isn't that good but after I read Wickerbottom's line according to which the toadstool retreats to rehydrate its skin maybe we could throw water balloons at it to extend the fight? Also I do like the new hats and the lights but it should probably drop more skin upon death and some other uses for it would be nice as well. Also I don't get why it can spoil our food, are we supposed to farm honey and reeds for eternity just for this boss fight? Also since it apparently takes about 20 dark swords to kill it it's also kinda stupid that we can't use hambats since that actually means we need to get about 100 nightmare fuel just for the boss fight. (I'm kinda thinking that maybe it was made so strong to see how well people would do against a ridiculously powerful boss)
The scarecrow and canary: I don't really understand why the scarecrow makes the canaries spawn and why this mechanic was put in and in my opinion it's kind of weird and should be changed. I was kind of hoping we would get unique birds for all seasons and I think the canary might fit well as a summer bird. I'm not sure what should happen to the scarecrow in that case, having to scare away birds from crops would be interesting but would probably discourage people from using farms, so not sure about this.
The scaled furnace: I was really hoping for this one to be similar to the obsidian firepit. Having an infinite light and heat source is nice but the small radius and not being able to cook things on it makes it not that useful. I think maybe it should actually be usable for cooking or even be able to automatically cook things over time which is the kind of thing that I would expect from a furnace. It could also be changed completely and given the radius of a campfire with having to be refueled but giving off a lot of heat in that larger radius or actually making it an obsidian firepit reskin.
The dragonfly fight: I haven't really tested the change a lot especially not with others but I did test it with a new world where I quickly collected a few healing items and made a marble suit and some football hats and rushed to it (to be honest I haven't really done it alone before and wouldn't really have had a chance of defeating it with my equipment even if it wouldn't have been buffed). I've never experienced dragonfly's rage mode before but it basically instantly teared through my armor and health with its stomps unlike before where it was somewhat doable. I just haven't tested this enough but this might make it really really difficult for people playing alone who can't get it to its next lavae spawning phase before all lavae die so not sure how to feel about the change.

Anyway expect for toadstool I haven't tested any of these in an actual long playthrough so some of my points here might be complete nonsense.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Michi01 said:

The scarecrow and canary: I don't really understand why the scarecrow makes the canaries spawn and why this mechanic was put in and in my opinion it's kind of weird and should be changed. I was kind of hoping we would get unique birds for all seasons and I think the canary might fit well as a summer bird. I'm not sure what should happen to the scarecrow in that case, having to scare away birds from crops would be interesting but would probably discourage people from using farms, so not sure about this.

Personally I'd love to see a mystery unfold around this item. The fact it can change birds into other species makes it seem... "Unfriendly" in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CandySweet said:

I don't quite understand what the scarecrow deoes? Is it a sorta 'exactly what it says on the tin' kinda deal, or does it do something special?

From what I've seen, it's the former.  Pop the thing up, and watch your birds get turned into canaries.  I mean, the canaries sound nice, but so far that's about it (aside from giving you a feather, though I'm told they explode upon death.  There must be a glitch cause I haven't had a single one do that in my game yet).

• Like 1