(DST) What is your best team combination?

I have been playing with a friend on DST for a while: I always choose Wendy and he always chooses Maxwell. We make an excellent match and we would like to know which combination of characters you guys prefer to use.

I play Wendy for 2 major reasons: a f*ckton of Monster Meat, and a f*ckton of silk. Let me explain.

Once the game starts, we search and scavenge until we find a convenient area near  ~2-3 spider dens grouped up together (pretty common) and set up a temporary base. I place a firepit among the dens, I fuel it up right before night, and I charge with a spear, a log suit and, of course, Abigail. She deals massive damage to spiders, the normal ones just get crushed in 3 hits (they have 100 health and Abigail does 40 dmg during night) and are stun-locked the whole time. Spider warriors (300 health) might pose a problem if Abigail get over encumbered by them, since they are stun-proof, and this is where the logsuit and spear comes in. With the player's help, Abigail can easily take out 3 max level spider dens during the night, which allows you to collect a large number of Silk, Monster Meat and Spider glands (expect fighting about 40 spiders in one fight). When the spider dens reach max level, I destroy them before the Spider Queen spawns to get the eggs and I relocate them to a better location, where we will set our permanent base.

With the monster meat, you can acquire lots of eggs with the use of a birdcage. This is useful, because you can basically live of only Monster Meat; in a crock-pot, you can put 3 eggs and 1 Monster meat to make Meatballs. If you get enough Monster Meat to convert into eggs, you can make them spoil to have a decent amount of spoiled eggs and craft some gunpowder to help you fight off Giants.

Once, at around day 15, we had more than 2 stacks of 40 silk in our chests, this is way enough to craft any item requiring silk. With the silk, you craft a ton of bird traps (if you place ~7 traps around your base, you won't even need to bait them) to gather some morsel to make some better food, such as Bacon and Eggs, my favorite. With the remaining silk, craft a Top Hat, and sanity usually won't be a problem, although summoning Abigail costs 50 sanity, in this case, use the remaining silk to craft some bug nets to farm butterflies or catch some bees to do the job for ya.

Also, spider glands won't be scarce. That's cool I guess.

My friend plays Maxwell just for the incredible amount of Boulders and Trees his minions can gather.

I'm basically in charge of food, while he's in charge of ressources.

Anyone else has a good character combination?

(Brotip: plant 6 flowers in an area, kill yourself, haunt the flowers until they are all Evil Flowers, and place some bees around them. Unlimited Nightmare Fuel for Maxwell.)

Webber actually gets the monster meat and silk and spider glands a lot more easily. 

The best team probably is Wicker(one of if not the best for a reason after all), Maxwell(brings a lot of resources, farms nightmare fuel well, reads Wicker's books), and WX, because WX is pretty damn good too, and overcharging on demand with wicker's books is pretty good. 

Well I mean, each character helps out everyone else in one way or another, someone could even spend time to make a tree of how each character is useful to the other. I mean, I'm not gonna do that, but some examples include:

Wilson's beard can be given to Willow to make Bernie, and to make effigys for everyone else.

Willow can use Bernie for people who are insane so they aren't targeted. She can also make lighters for others for the off chance that caves aren't enabled.

Wickerbottom can make books that Maxwell can then use and get the sanity back quicker, or even use The End is Nigh on WX for some free overcharge.

Etc, etc.

I know how well Maxwell, Wendy and Woodie (with a truckload of wood to gnaw on and pinecones to plant for sanity) work in the caves. Willow too (as long as you have materials to burn). It's an extension of what @Chris1488 says above. Wes meshes SURPRISINGLY well with Wigfrid (the infamous Klei-supported ship, I guess...), because he does not need that much food. Though it has to be said that any character, Wes included, is the best option as long as they are played by someone experienced or at least smart and willing to learn. I've seen marvellous things done by Weses (and "the worse Wes")... and countless opportunities lost with strong characters just because people who played them didn't want to cooperate or just were unable to handle teamwork and long-term planning.

Inverting your question, I think Wigfrid and Webber don't make a good combination.

When I use Wigfrid, I camp near or plant some spider eggs and use them to gain regular meat + health + sanity. But when a Webber camps with me, we end up fighting over spiders (he needs them alive to be a spider lord, I need them dead).

31 minutes ago, applebottom said:

Inverting your question, I think Wigfrid and Webber don't make a good combination.

When I use Wigfrid, I camp near or plant some spider eggs and use them to gain regular meat + health + sanity. But when a Webber camps with me, we end up fighting over spiders (he needs them alive to be a spider lord, I need them dead).

Just stab him with your battal spear, PROBLEM SOLVED! :D 

2 hours ago, Techtonik25 said:

So, to put this briefly: on the long term, your best team tool is cooperation, and Character choices are only situational team advantages? 

More or less.

No idea how it multiplied itself, may some kind mod remove the second post please? Apologies for the inconvenience.

Honestly, I find it kinda silly (and honestly counterproductive) to say that "teamwork is your best combination", because that's just going to be a given in a topic of this nature.

Same goes for "a good player playing Wes is better than a bad player playing Wigfrid".  Well, duh.  A conversation of this nature assumes that player skill, game knowledge, and teamwork affinity are all equal and at a high enough level to take advantage of said synergies.

I believe the OP's intent was to discuss base synergies between the different characters (such as Wickerbottom / Maxwell's books, Maxwell / Woodie's shadow generation and insane resource gathering, etc) in a vacuum, not to discuss how unequal skill levels might skew a player's results when attempting to utilize these synergies.

Some combinations simply are better than, say, Wes x2 or Wendy + Webber, for example.  I think that's what this thread is about.

Well, as far as synergy, Wolfgang and Wickerbottom go well together; with her books, she can produce absurd quantities of food so that Gang can sustain full mightiness and go around annihilating things. Another thing to consider is that with each Wes added to a team, balloon production increases. 

Why does Wendy in that picture make me think she's about to suddenly spin around really fast and do her henshin sequence?

"Death Flower Powers...ACTIVATE!" (spins around in a twirl of blood-red sparkles, and when she stops, she's in her Magical Girl costume and Abigail is floating behind her like an aura.)

There IS fanart/fic of Sailor Wendy out there, I'm damn sure of it.  And if there isn't, I'll make some. : P

Anyway.  For character combos...I dunno. For me, I've found that a lot of the time it depends quite a bit on how much on the same level of skill, how simpatico, and how good we are at communicating, that makes the difference.  A good team of _players_ with a bad combo of characters can sometimes be better than a GREAT combo of characters whose players don't get along, don't understand each other, and don't let the other know what's happening before it's too late.

My favourites to play as are Willow (the Unnerfed), Wigfrid and Wendy.  Not sure who their best pairings are, character-trait-wise.

...Notorious

15 hours ago, Asparagus said:

2 or more good Wendy's... or as I like to call it, a Wendy Cult... @Hypersomnia :3

QExB860.gif  

(original Wendy sketch by @Theinsanefruitloop)

or just 1 with a ton of abbys... (left click) I have 12 Abigail's flowers

good paring i usually like is wendy and wolf gang for kinda obvious reasons in order to feed his powered state quite easily and this also in turn helps out with bosses that a single abby cant handle... dont doubt the power of night

So if it is about matching powers, I would say:

Wicker and Max as they can use books

Max, Wendy with Abigail and Woodie (with a lot of wood to gnaw on and pinecones for sanity) in the caves

Wilson, Webber and Woodie (Wigfrid too, to an extent) all have a bit of insulation (beards or "thick warrior's skin")

WX with anyone to eat food past its date, particularly with Wicker who needs fresh food, and probably Wolfgang to munch on what he leaves behind

Wes and Wolfgang - Wolfgang protects Wes, Wes farms nightmare fuel, cooks, creates balloon traps and looks dapper

Willow with... well, anyone who needs a snarky scout who is also good at working with fire and a defender against nightmares (Wes should be good)

Wigfrid and Wes - a la the Wolfgang combo

Woodie and anyone to supply him with post-beaver restoration in return for resources

Are we matching powers, or balancing them? I myself like to have a variety of types in the team, rather than everybody or the majority being one thing.  That way, you've got more bases covered for different situations.  Example:  Strong and dumb Wolfgang balanced by weak and smart Maxwell, maybe. 

And then there's the roles _players_ take on, that have little or nothing to do with their actual character's strengths and weaknesses.  For example, on my own servers, lately it seems there's always someone who prefers to stay at base and do all the farming/cooking, whereas my normal modus operandi is to go out scouting, hunting and gathering to make sure we don't run out. This has the interesting result of making a "housewife" and "breadwinner" team...regardless of character OR player genders. 

On more than one successful run so far, I've basically done the "Hi honey, I'm home!" as Wigfrid and threw down a big ol' sack of spider meat, mushrooms, berries, carrots etc. on the table, to be greeted by Wilson with home-cooked meatballs already in the icebox.  It's freaking adorable.  :D

...Notorious

Regarding the OP, I believe Wickerbottom is a must have for any team combination. She provides the best resource and base management with her books and easy start to build the base. The ability to constantly produce berries from her farm ensures that everybody is full. 

So with this in mind, I'm going with the best acquaintances for Wickerbottom to produce the best team combination. Now going in order, the second runner up is Maxwell. Reason? He is able to quickly get rocks/wood; things that Wickerbottom has trouble doing quickly. He basically fills in the resources required to make the base quickly. He can also help out by reading Wickerbottom's books for her to conserve her sanity. Ever since Maxwell was added to DST, I have found Woodie to be useless. 

If we're going to be adding a third character, it would be Wigfrid for her helmets. In my opinion, she is a better than Wolfgang in this situation because she can provide helmets which are very cheap if working with Maxwell and can help him survive with his teeny tiny 75 hp. Wigfrid is basically a helmet slave. She is also a good all rounder and has the upper hand in fighting and can take them down quicker.

Finally, Wendy and WX-78 fill in the final spots. Wendy for her amazing abigail and having you fill up your whole fridge with monster meat. WX-78 is just great with Wickerbottom and can be Wickerbottoms delivery man. He is basically Wickerbottom's servant. He does her dirty work, collects her reeds required materials and eats her rotting leftover food. 

Here's a summary:

Who works best with Wickerbottom - Grass/Twigs/Berries/Books

1) Maxwell - Wood & Gold/Rocks

2) Wigfrid - Helmet Slave

3)

• Wendy - Monster Meat Galore!!!
  • WX-78 - Delivery Man/Eats Leftovers/Servant

Archived