non-breaking amulets, fun-to-play willow, non-joke beefalos, AG's ghost and useful Thul items

Hey all,

Maybe it is a work in progress or maybe I haven't seen it being posted yet, but almost all of the suggestions that we were dying for in this forum, is being actively implemented into a single Mod by our hero @rezecib.

Yes!

• Woodie is no longer a character under Maxwell's shadows (no pun intended);
  • Maxwell's shadows are no longer dummies that are afraid of earthquake;
  • Willow is no longer something only griefers and @Mantas plays;
  • Your maglum, (AND OTHER AMMIES) won't just disappear upon 0%;
  • Beefalo won't get undomesticated in mere 9 days after TONS of work, and MORE!
  • AG has a ghost! And guess what...

So, as a fellow forum member, I appeal that we should all subscribe to this mod, even if your friends want to play the game "as-is" without mods, just to raise its popularity. When the time comes, all it has to take for Klei is to copy paste the changes they like into the game without much "dev-work", which seems lacking.

Spoiler

(WTF is that Oxygen thing... Please fix SW... :'( It needed some love...

I appreciate the enthusiasm, I've been putting a lot of work into the mod. It's friends-only at the moment, and I'll be reuploading it to the workshop as a public mod when I feel like it's in a good spot. For those who can't see it, this is the current list of changes:

Spoiler
  • Major miscellaneous changes:
    • WX-78's overcharge now stacks with diminishing returns (1 strike is about the same, but 10 strikes only gives about 3 days) 
    • WX-78 now drops all of his gears except one on death (before you lost all upgrades and only dropped a few gears) 
    • Players can no longer attack each other's minions/followers unless PvP is on (Maxwell's shadows, Abigail, etc) 
    • Attack-command now works properly; followers will get the same target at you as soon as you target, instead of at the start of your attack animation 
    • Saplings are protected from disease by deciduous turf 
    • Fixed beardlings/beardlords to show up at 40% sanity instead of 15%
  • Maxwell:
    • Can now change his minion types by giving them items, or make them stop working 
    • Minions now all have 75 health, and non-duelists have 1/5 of the duelist regen 
    • Minions can now keep up with him 
    • Chopper minions no longer run away from poison birchnuts (they will run away from the birchnutters, though) 
    • Duelist minions have improved kiting (will still have trouble with groups of enemies) 
    • Has two new minion types: torchbearer, porter (picks items up) 
    • Minions can now be given hats. Armor hats give 60% reduction, all other hats are cosmetic.
  • Willow
    • Can craft a Shadow Lighter at the Shadow Manipulator for a Lighter and 2 Nightmare Fuel 
    • The Shadow Lighter can only be used by Willow, lasts longer, and can be refueled with Nightmare Fuel 
    • Can light shadowfires with her Shadow Lighter for 10% durability and 15 sanity 
    • Shadowfires work like houndfires but are barely warm, and burn longer (extinguish after dealing 200 damage) 
    • Shadowfires have some special interactions with flingomatics :) 
    • Willow is immune to shadowfire damage (as are other players outside of PvP) 
    • After having gone 2 days without lighting a (shadow)fire, she gradually loses more sanity over time.
  • Woodie:
    • No sanity loss as the werebeaver, but he transforms back with low stats (like single-player) 
    • No sanity gain from planting pinecones 
    • Werebeaver insulation doubled and water resistance increased to 90% 
    • Werebeaver deals 51 damage, keeping the bonus against wood things, and still dealing axe damage to players
    • Damage done to the werebeaver is taken from the log meter before health 
    • When eating, the werebeaver gains 20% of the log meter gains as health as well
  • Beefalo domestication:
    • While riding beefalo, a little widget on the HUD pops up to show beefalo stats 
    • A beefalo's domestication is stored separately for each player 
    • Domestication loss over time is greatly reduced (full loss in 90 days rather than 9 days)
    • Being attacked by a player only deducts domestication for that player 
    • Gain domestication while sleeping next to a player 
    • Beefalo can no longer be brushed until they are ready to be brushed 
    • Saddles can be repaired with a sewing kit, but also lose durability while riding (actually I forgot the riding durability loss... will put that in tomorrow) 
    • Partially or fully domesticated beefalo near a player save and load with the player 
    • Beefalo are faster on roads (even while not being ridden... watch out!) 
    • Beefalo now show their favorite player and tendency (when domesticated) 
    • Beefalo collar can now be crafted for 8 silk, 2 moonrocks, and 2 pigskin. 
    • Giving a collar to a beefalo lets you name it, and prevents the beefalo from dying immediately on health loss. 
    • Instead of dying, collared beefalo lie in a near-death state for up to a day. Giving them a booster shot revives them at 25% health.
  • Ancient Guardian:
    • When the nightmare cycle peaks, if the Ancient Guardian has been dead for 20 days then a ghost of it spawns 
    • The Ancient Guardian Ghost can be revived by infusing it with an Ancient Guardian Horn and 8 meat 
    • Every Summer, the Ancient Guardian respawns fully in the ruins
  • Magic Items:
    • The Night Light now costs 8 gold, 4 nightmare fuel, and 3 red gems, but functions like a Nightmare Fissure when lit, spawning Nightmares that attack sane players. 
    • The Bat Bat has a little more durability (75 uses -> 100 uses), and can be repaired for 33 uses by Batilisk Wings. 
    • The One Man Band now costs 4 gold, 6 nightmare fuel, and 4 pig skin. It no longer grabs followers, and has a low constant sanity drain. It lasts 5 days, can be refueled by nightmare fuel (1 day per fuel), and speeds up followers (slower followers speed up more). Pigs/Bunnymen are friendly to Webber while he is using it.
  • Ancient Items:
    • The Lazy Explorer, Lazy Forager, and Magiluminescence no longer break when they are spent. 
    • The Lazy Forager can be refueled by nightmare fuel (1 fuel per 25 pickups). 
    • The Lazy Explorer can be refueled by orange gems (1 gem for a full refuel). 
    • The Pick/Axe gains back 80% of the durability it would've used to kill an enemy if an enemy dies near it (allowing you to repair it by killing enemies with other weapons).
  • Minor miscellaneous changes:
    • Deciduous turf now spawns the same birds as forest turf 
    • Beefalo no longer eat off of turf that has no grass (bad beefalo... dirt is for moleworms)

And a list of things I'm thinking about adding/changing:

Spoiler
  • Wolfgang? Doesn't really "need" any changes, but his playstyle can be a bit annoying 
  • Revamp the ancient guardian fight so it's not just boring rhino AI 
  • Make worldgen configuration options not suck? Might be beyond my abilities, though 
  • Thermometer: make it more useful 
  • Twiggy tree changes?

Edit: And also the goal of these changes:

Spoiler
Feedback is welcome, no one person can be omniscient about balance, and I'm certainly not the best.

My main design goal here is to transform game mechanics that were weak, useless, or annoying into useful mechanics that are fun. I'm less concerned with reducing things that are a little overpowered, although I do want to patch some of the ones that are ridiculously overpowered (like I did with WX-78). I have not been doing extensive client-server testing yet, so it's very likely there are several crashes right now. 

38 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

When the time comes, all it has to take for Klei is to copy paste the changes they like into the game without much "dev-work", which seems lacking.

You started nice thread for rezecib but kill it with ridiculous sentence like this. I am not saying that DS/DST is flawless but there is a reason that half of the mods are bad and crashing/lowering FPS/needing nuclear reactor to run! 

YES it takes Klei forever to fix some things (some doesn't need fixing) but im sure it is not just copy paste dude

About that mod IMO it looks like some features are trivial now and some overpowered but i like ancient guardian respawns and "fixed" attack command - i hope these two will be implemented from Klei in future

Hey @rezecib, I really like most of the changes in your mod. But I think Willow doesn't need a new item, but tweaks on her current items. Suggestions?

for her lighter:

-Willow can turn it on while on ground, as a portable small campfire 

for Bernie:

-Bernie should fight back, with punch damage and a slow attack period. This is used not to kill the shadows, but to make his life longer, as attacking back will make the shadows not group him and destroy it in seconds.

-possibly, Willow could hug him when she has low sanity (at the point when he wakes up) to gain sanity and warmth (at the cost of 5-10% of Bernie's durability)

This is all I have for now, but I hope they are nice suggestions!

28 minutes ago, t0panka said:

You started nice thread for rezecib but kill it with ridiculous sentence like this. I am not saying that DS/DST is flawless but there is a reason that half of the mods are bad and crashing/lowering FPS/needing nuclear reactor to run! 

YES it takes Klei forever to fix some things (some doesn't need fixing) but im sure it is not just copy paste dude

@t0panka, I won't reply to you on this thread furthermore, but please do some programming with git to know what you were talking about. Creating new code is hard, but merging is usually relatively easy; especially in this case, @rezecib's Mod already runs without breaking the game (at least not observed; but hey, the vanilla game itself has bugs like that), so merging would be very simply, while implementing new features requires work after work.

19 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

But I think Willow doesn't need a new item, but tweaks on her current items.

I initially had the shadowfires coming from her normal lighter, but several people who tested it out said that they thought it should come from an upgraded lighter instead. I agree that tweaks like that would be a different path to Willow being useful, but your tweaks are more oriented at mid/early game Willow, which I don't think she needs too badly. The idea of the shadowfires was to bring back something from single-player that was really cool (fire farms), but make it difficult and Willow-specific to produce. Having played around with it a bit I think it's a pretty good change, and might even be a bit too strong right now.

Hey, what's going on with those double posts? ;_:

Topic: I like the idea of tweaking and some changes, but I'll probably play without this mod (unless Strictly will use it ;_;').

But hey as "WX main" I cry now 8N40LP2.png I know, he is easy mode. That's why I play as him, lags + bad luck = dayum son!

6 minutes ago, rezecib said:

I initially had the shadowfires coming from her normal lighter, but several people who tested it out said that they thought it should come from an upgraded lighter instead. I agree that tweaks like that would be a different path to Willow being useful, but your tweaks are more oriented at mid/early game Willow, which I don't think she needs too badly. The idea of the shadowfires was to bring back something from single-player that was really cool (fire farms), but make it difficult and Willow-specific to produce. Having played around with it a bit I think it's a pretty good change, and might even be a bit too strong right now.

Mm, yeah I see what you mean. Although a Bernie buff is needed. And since you went with the shadow concepts...what about a way to upgrade the Teddy by making him "eat" nightmare fuel?

6 minutes ago, Maslak said:

But hey as "WX main" I cry now

I actually made the change initially just after listening to other players on WX's overcharge OPness, but having played it for a good 200ish days myself, it really did need to be nerfed. Insane speed, immunity to cold and darkness, all at the cost of a red gem and two papyrus per year. He can still overcharge that way with the mod, but it won't last an eternity, and in exchange I made his upgrade loss much more forgiving. He's still kind of a god compared to other characters... 

4 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

Mm, yeah I see what you mean. Although a Bernie buff is needed. And since you went with the shadow concepts...what about a way to upgrade the Teddy by making him "eat" nightmare fuel?

Then he punches

4 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

Then he punches

5 minutes ago, rezecib said:

I actually made the change initially just after listening to other players on WX's overcharge OPness

That's just right :C But I like it :p

Offtopic as heck:
@DwerBomb, I love your new profile pic orQD0iS.png
Going to sleep, have a noice debate and dupe posts.

12 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

Teddy by making him "eat" nightmare fuel?

Sanders here really does like his regular dose of dark dreams in the morning. 

12 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

Teddy by making him "eat" nightmare fuel?

Sanders here really does like his regular dose of dark dreams in the morning. 

49 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

It's meant to be for lols. I mean since this is a mod, I thought little vials with maybe a healer vial and maybe a poison one. Something quirky,

This mod is to rebalance DST as is said in its purpose.

49 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

It's meant to be for lols. I mean since this is a mod, I thought little vials with maybe a healer vial and maybe a poison one. Something quirky,

This mod is to rebalance DST as is said in its purpose.

The mod is hidden for me, but if you want testers, I'm in.

Some ideas regarding the question part:

- the thermometer, along with the season and sort-of precipitation machines, should be useful - now, none of those can be considered such, I'm sorry; how about telling the exact temperature the way Combined Status does, MAYBE with a suggestion "I should cool down before I get a sun stroke" or "If I don't get warmer soon, I may catch some nasty cold"?

- twiggies could be punched by any character with at least 3/4 health, repeatedly, to drop ONE SINGLE TWIG. Basically, enough to make a torch.

- the ancient guardian is boring, if it is supposed to be a minotaur, let's play on this.

- the ability to control setpieces a la the increase in Advanced Mod Generation. Ask @DejaVu for details.

The mod is hidden for me, but if you want testers, I'm in.

Some ideas regarding the question part:

- the thermometer, along with the season and sort-of precipitation machines, should be useful - now, none of those can be considered such, I'm sorry; how about telling the exact temperature the way Combined Status does, MAYBE with a suggestion "I should cool down before I get a sun stroke" or "If I don't get warmer soon, I may catch some nasty cold"?

- twiggies could be punched by any character with at least 3/4 health, repeatedly, to drop ONE SINGLE TWIG. Basically, enough to make a torch.

- the ancient guardian is boring, if it is supposed to be a minotaur, let's play on this.

- the ability to control setpieces a la the increase in Advanced Mod Generation. Ask @DejaVu for details.

This.  Is.  AMAZING.  Ohmygod.  A mod made for the forumers, by the forumers!  I don't know how much of this I'll be using, but as a Willow semi-main in singleplayer who plays a lot with a Steam friend who is almost _always_ Woodie*, this will be quite welcome.  No sanity drain as beaver...beefalo being nameable and everything else...saplings not getting diseased YES.  This is freaking awesome.

And since it seems to be a "requirement" in this thread...

Stop repeating yourself!

Stop repeating yourself!

...Notorious

*Incidentally right now we're coming up on finishing my first full year (all four seasons) in multiplayer?  And I'm playing as Willow the Unnerfed and he's Woodie, and while he's died so many times his maximum HP is a joke, _I_ have never died--OR even _started_ to burn down the base!--once.

Archived