non-breaking amulets, fun-to-play willow, non-joke beefalos, AG's ghost and useful Thul items

So this mod lets you order friends to attack? Why can't Klei implement it at the normal game, it is possible afterall.

If any feedback matters, some changes i would like to see for equipments:

Spoiler

Backpack: It's easy to make and 8 slots make it superior than most chest slots that aren't armor. I guess the most "balanced" solution would be using the backpack slot mod with this one.

Insulated pack: The problem with this item is that it's supposed to be a winter item but you don't need the at winter. Make it so Ice doesn't melt and Thermal Stone stay cold forever so it's suddendly a great pack for summer, might sound too strong but it's a freaking giant tier item that also requires 3 gears and competes with Hibernation Vest, it HAS to be strong. Either that or change the focus completely.

Breezy Vest: Pathetic stats (lvl 1 insulation, 2 sanity, and 20% water res) for it's absurd cost (Trunk + 8 silks), takes a chest slot AND requires alchemy engine. No reason to ever make these. Either pump the stats to be a legit good all around vest or make it a very cheap vest that doesn't require science.

Dapper Vest: Cute pun there Klei (it has houndstooth pattern that requires hound's tooth haha geddit?) but that price is silly. 8 teeth and 6 silks and a chest slot? I would rather make 8 traps, a top hat and carry a backpack. I suggest the same as the Breezy vest.

Summer frest: Newbies/Casuals never kill birds and even if they do it's 3 red feathers so there is some luck involved. For a low tier item, it should be more acessible maybe?

Flower Shirt: You can't actually make this before summer (requires cactus flowers) and it's a "Organic shirt" so it lasts 3 day less (because it's summer lel) and can't be repaired with sewing kit. That's just dumb design, it should use normal flowers and be a real shirt.

Compass: Make it so when you turn the compass on, you get an arrow pointing the direction of other players who also have a compass.

Armor durability: Restore everything back to it's original health, -30% hp does nothing besides force you to make 30% more log suits.

Grass Armor: No reason to make this past science machine, should have another use or be turned into a cheap "grass helmet" i dunno.

One Man Band: It's pratically a joke item, should be cheaper and drain less sanity.

Garland: Weak and unintuitive, instead of picking 12 flowers day 1 you could wait until you're insane to pick them and get the same result. Should be cheaper and capable of using it as fire fuel.

Straw/Fur roll: Straw roll is only useful if you're really desperate for sanity and nobody ever makes fur rolls because tent is easier and better. Sleeping in general should be more worth it.

Since the mod is to turn weak/useless things into useful/fun ones, so i think buffin the "items most people never make" would give alot more variety to the game.

44 minutes ago, Serph said:

Compass: Make it so when you turn the compass on, you get an arrow pointing the direction of other players who also have a compass.

I would love this as it's super easy to tell which way is north, and which way is south.

45 minutes ago, Serph said:

Garland: Weak and unintuitive, instead of picking 12 flowers day 1 you could wait until you're insane to pick them and get the same result. Should be cheaper and capable of using it as fire fuel.

But the garland makes you look pretty isn't that enough? ;n;

3 hours ago, Serph said:

So this mod lets you order friends to attack? Why can't Klei implement it at the normal game, it is possible afterall.

If any feedback matters, some changes i would like to see for equipments:

Hide contents

Backpack: It's easy to make and 8 slots make it superior than most chest slots that aren't armor. I guess the most "balanced" solution would be using the backpack slot mod with this one.

Insulated pack: The problem with this item is that it's supposed to be a winter item but you don't need the at winter. Make it so Ice doesn't melt and Thermal Stone stay cold forever so it's suddendly a great pack for summer, might sound too strong but it's a freaking giant tier item that also requires 3 gears and competes with Hibernation Vest, it HAS to be strong. Either that or change the focus completely.

Breezy Vest: Pathetic stats (lvl 1 insulation, 2 sanity, and 20% water res) for it's absurd cost (Trunk + 8 silks), takes a chest slot AND requires alchemy engine. No reason to ever make these. Either pump the stats to be a legit good all around vest or make it a very cheap vest that doesn't require science.

Dapper Vest: Cute pun there Klei (it has houndstooth pattern that requires hound's tooth haha geddit?) but that price is silly. 8 teeth and 6 silks and a chest slot? I would rather make 8 traps, a top hat and carry a backpack. I suggest the same as the Breezy vest.

Summer frest: Newbies/Casuals never kill birds and even if they do it's 3 red feathers so there is some luck involved. For a low tier item, it should be more acessible maybe?

Flower Shirt: You can't actually make this before summer (requires cactus flowers) and it's a "Organic shirt" so it lasts 3 day less (because it's summer lel) and can't be repaired with sewing kit. That's just dumb design, it should use normal flowers and be a real shirt.

Armor durability: Restore everything back to it's original health, -30% hp does nothing besides force you to make 30% more log suits.

Grass Armor: No reason to make this past science machine, should have another use or be turned into a cheap "grass helmet" i dunno.

One Man Band: It's pratically a joke item, should be cheaper and drain less sanity.

Straw/Fur roll: Straw roll is only useful if you're really desperate for sanity and nobody ever makes fur rolls because tent is easier and better. Sleeping in general should be more worth it.

Since the mod is to turn weak/useless things into useful/fun ones, so i think buffin the "items most people never make" would give alot more variety to the game.

I like your comment about Insulated Pack.

I don't get why is the breezy vest costly. It needs a trunk(easy enough to get) and just 8 silk. 8 silk is not a lot for how you don't really need it from now to now. 

Dapper Vest I wouldn't necesserily call too expensive, but the issue is that by the time you actually want to make this because you got enough spare teeth or whatever, it's useless to you, like all other passively restoring sanity items except for the tam o shanter because it doesnt restore, it blocks the night from bringing it down.

Summer Frest and Flower Shirt are both not that great though, mainly since all you need in summer is a thermal stone on you and a thermal stone that's kept somewhere cold(ice chester, icebox) and rotate between them.

Grass Armor is incredibly useless. No idea on how to buff this pathetic one.

One Man Band isn't bad because of the drain/cost. It's bad because it gives you pretty little followers(who are also not very helpful) at the cost of your sanity. Now sanity's easily replenishable, but what makes anyone think this is a fair tradeoff? This offers nothing you want.

Straw Roll and Fur Roll are tents on the go. The issue with that is that usually you don't sleep anyway, so why would you need to sleep on the go? 

I hardly ever use any of the vests myself 'cos it requires the backpack slot, so, I limp along with just headgear and thermal stone, and make fires every now and then, to beat the cold/heat.  I'm just too attached to having more inventory slots in case I find something cool and can't drop anything else I'm carrying.

The insulated backpack I've never used...the one time I did encounter it, was when I suddenly got a message from far away that "So-and-so has died to overheating" and we're all

"WHAT?"

"Wut"

"How did that happen?!"

"It's a week away from winter!"

...etc. and the answer?  "Insulated pack..." (I assume he was doing other overheaty things as well, and the pack just made it worse.)

As for the straw rolls, I _do_ use them...they're inconvenient in terms of hunger, but sometimes you DO need sanity on the go.  What if you've been exploring for a long time and have run out of/haven't found any green mushrooms or cactus?  It's especially useful when I'm playing as Willow (in singleplayer, or in a modded server without any Wilsons) and I want to gather beard hair for an effigy, 'cos I can just camp out on the savannah amongst the beardlings until I have enough hair, then sleep so my sanity goes back up into the safe range, and THEN come home.

I dunno, I like having stat-raising things with me, just in case.  (shrug)

...Notorious

52 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I hardly ever use any of the vests myself 'cos it requires the backpack slot, so, I limp along with just headgear and thermal stone, and make fires every now and then, to beat the cold/heat.  I'm just too attached to having more inventory slots in case I find something cool and can't drop anything else I'm carrying.

The insulated backpack I've never used...the one time I did encounter it, was when I suddenly got a message from far away that "So-and-so has died to overheating" and we're all

"WHAT?"

"Wut"

"How did that happen?!"

"It's a week away from winter!"

...etc. and the answer?  "Insulated pack..." (I assume he was doing other overheaty things as well, and the pack just made it worse.)

As for the straw rolls, I _do_ use them...they're inconvenient in terms of hunger, but sometimes you DO need sanity on the go.  What if you've been exploring for a long time and have run out of/haven't found any green mushrooms or cactus?  It's especially useful when I'm playing as Willow (in singleplayer, or in a modded server without any Wilsons) and I want to gather beard hair for an effigy, 'cos I can just camp out on the savannah amongst the beardlings until I have enough hair, then sleep so my sanity goes back up into the safe range, and THEN come home.

I dunno, I like having stat-raising things with me, just in case.  (shrug)

...Notorious

Just a tip: Thermal Stone is actually BAD in winter. It cools down faster. That makes it pretty much all you need in summer(a rotation between a stone on you and one in ice chester/an icebox) to not overheat.

Insulated Pack, like backpacks, did not make it worse. But so-and-so probably forgot to seperete the stones from each other when he actually overheated, so he didnt stop the source, causing him to basically stand inside a fire in terms of heat.

Yeah the rolls aren't *Bad*, they're just usually not that good either. 

I'm guessing he was possibly trying to burn just a few trees for charcoal, it got the whole forest around him, he started overheating, didn't realise that the backpack was making it that much worse/didn't want to put it down 'cos then it'd catch on fire/both, and what could've been a minor problem became way worse than he thought it would, really fast.  (Never did hear the full story, just a sad, sighing, "Insulated pack...")

I mean, I've done the same thing myself, minus the pack.  Suddenly HUGE fire everywhere, you can't get out of it in time because flames and angry confused spiders are blocking you on all sides, and bam.  (Even as Willow, who ironically can stand IN the actual flames themselves, but...)

I rarely have Snow Chester (did it for the first time ever just a couple playthroughs ago, singleplayer...and then died before it became summer again) but I do put the stone in him when it becomes hot just to not have it on _me_.  Better than the alternative.  (shrug)

...Notorious

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

didn't realise that the backpack was making it that much worse

The insulated pack actually... doesn't provide insulation. Gosh that feels wrong to say. The name just refers to insulation as in the kind that keeps ice boxes / coolers cool.

Edit: Although maybe that's something decent that could be added to it... like rabbit earmuff tier insulation or something. That wouldn't make tam + pack compete with beefalo hat, but it would be a nice bonus. And it wouldn't be a problem for the first winter anyway because the bearger doesn't spawn in the first autumn.

Ah.  I've never actually used one, so I wouldn't know. And apparently the other player THOUGHT it was making him (?) warmer...

There's a lot of stuff I've never used, mainly giant and ruin-related stuff, 'cos I tend to run away so I don't die.  : P  (Although I have made an eyebrella from my own-killed Deerclops, but that's it.)

...Notorious

On 7/1/2016 at 1:29 PM, rezecib said:

@Haroldman A number of these changes have been rolled into the base game already, which I'm really happy about.

I'm thinking of making this public when I get proper art for the beefalo collars, which should be soon.

Some other things that I've been thinking about how I might be able to make usable... If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

• Insulated pack-- it should at the very least have normal backpack size, which I've implemented. However, it still feels a bit weak for a giant-tier drop.

I also loved to see that some changes have been introduced into the game already, and the Salt Lick more or less addressed one of the issues you also addressed in a bit clumsy but sound way.

Speaking of Insulated pack, I actually use this even over Krampus Sack. Food is never an issue, but constantly preparing food breaks up your rhythm and long runs/projects. This is especially useful for Wickerbottom. On the other hand, when nearing the end game, you never need so many inventory slots, and even the base inventory is enough. For early game, I use Insulated Pack for exploration (getting map), and after coming back, I use a bigger backpack (Krampus/Piggy) to gather resources. So, to me, original implementation was good enough. It could be buffed as this if necessary tho:

• Insulated pack has the same 6 slots, but has "icecold" tag such as icebox/icechester, and does not burn or get wet.

This is a boss item made with gears. C'mon, this shouldn't be burning.

On 6/19/2016 at 7:57 AM, AnonymousKoala said:

How does reading a book summon tentacles? Or Lightnings. Or Birds. Etc.

I think basically Wicker's casting a spell, and the earmuffs in this scenario would block the person from hearing the spell and not being affected by it. 

Wicker is a witch! Wicker is a witch!

Waxwell is a wizard.

Obviously, witches are more powerful than wizards.

3 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

I also loved to see that some changes have been introduced into the game already, and the Salt Lick more or less addressed one of the issues you also addressed in a bit clumsy but sound way.

Speaking of Insulated pack, I actually use this even over Krampus Sack. Food is never an issue, but constantly preparing food breaks up your rhythm and long runs/projects. This is especially useful for Wickerbottom. On the other hand, when nearing the end game, you never need so many inventory slots, and even the base inventory is enough. For early game, I use Insulated Pack for exploration (getting map), and after coming back, I use a bigger backpack (Krampus/Piggy) to gather resources. So, to me, original implementation was good enough. It could be buffed as this if necessary tho:

• Insulated pack has the same 6 slots, but has "icecold" tag such as icebox/icechester, and does not burn or get wet.

This is a boss item made with gears. C'mon, this shouldn't be burning.

Wicker is a witch! Wicker is a witch!

Waxwell is a wizard.

Obviously, witches are more powerful than wizards.

Yes but do witches have that sexy curved spikey nose? I don't think so.

10 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I'm guessing he was possibly trying to burn just a few trees for charcoal, it got the whole forest around him, he started overheating, didn't realise that the backpack was making it that much worse/didn't want to put it down 'cos then it'd catch on fire/both, and what could've been a minor problem became way worse than he thought it would, really fast.  (Never did hear the full story, just a sad, sighing, "Insulated pack...")

I mean, I've done the same thing myself, minus the pack.  Suddenly HUGE fire everywhere, you can't get out of it in time because flames and angry confused spiders are blocking you on all sides, and bam.  (Even as Willow, who ironically can stand IN the actual flames themselves, but...)

I rarely have Snow Chester (did it for the first time ever just a couple playthroughs ago, singleplayer...and then died before it became summer again) but I do put the stone in him when it becomes hot just to not have it on _me_.  Better than the alternative.  (shrug)

...Notorious

If the insulated pack caused it I'm sure its the thermal stone thingie.

Archived