Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players

So you got the thread stickied and got a member title? Congrats Mena! Here's my contribution.

Wait 'till it's time: (Keep yourself occupied, don't just stand around like an idiot)

This can go a bunch of ways, but I only have three things in mind when it comes to this. If you're playing as either Wilson or Webber, wait until your beard is full to get the maximum amount of loot (unless it's summer, if so, shave that thing immediately). If you build a bee box, wait until the box is completely drowned in honey before harvesting to get the full amount possible. Need to farm spiders or rabbits? Wait until they respawn, don't obstruct their dens or rabbit holes.

4 hours ago, Clwnbaby said:

sorry i disagree with this one.  If you play survival it is not the ghost's responsibility to mange your sanity its your responsibility to revive the ghost.  Yeah sometimes its inconvenient or poor timing but then again you picked survival.  Its one thing if they afk or are being a ghost on purpose just to be annoying but if they just are a poor dead character, well then you need to get to them not scream "Leave" all the time.  I ALWAYS find very rude when people tell the ghosts to leave and quite honestly bad etiquette. 

Okay, i can understand this. But look at what I said. if someone is struggling with sanity or preoccupied, its best to leave. im not going to run from bearger all the way to base to grab a spider gland to take 40 HP from me while im fighting. But sometimes i (and im sure others) cant take the extended sanity decrease.

5 hours ago, Clwnbaby said:

sorry i disagree with this one.  If you play survival it is not the ghost's responsibility to mange your sanity its your responsibility to revive the ghost.  Yeah sometimes its inconvenient or poor timing but then again you picked survival.  Its one thing if they afk or are being a ghost on purpose just to be annoying but if they just are a poor dead character, well then you need to get to them not scream "Leave" all the time.  I ALWAYS find very rude when people tell the ghosts to leave and quite honestly bad etiquette. 

58 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

Okay, i can understand this. But look at what I said. if someone is struggling with sanity or preoccupied, its best to leave. im not going to run from bearger all the way to base to grab a spider gland to take 40 HP from me while im fighting. But sometimes i (and im sure others) cant take the extended sanity decrease.

Yeah, I think ghost etiquette depends on the situation. Ghosts shouldn't be forced to leave every time someone dies, but if you're playing with people you know and one of them is struggling with sanity at the moment, it would be polite to leave for a minute or two. Then they can get their bearings and scrounge up what they need to revive you when you return. Don't shout at the ghost to leave though. It's very rude. You may ask them politely to exit the server while they get a revival item together, but if they don't, don't push it anymore. They'll probably have to help you fight terrorbeaks later. C;

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if a ghost would leave if they die on Day 1-3/4. You probably don't have a gland and they haven't exactly invested much in the server. It's a difficult issue though etiquette-wise. 

16 hours ago, MenaAthena said:
  • Don't Pick Everything.
  • Drop some Flint by the Portal.

Thanks for this Mena! Just wanted to jump in and say, for anyone who hosts servers, I like to use a mod called Starting Item 2.0. That way they don't have to wait for me to bring supplies, and I don't have to be concerned that some other random player took everything I left (greedy!). I start players with 2 flint, 2 cut grass, and 4 twigs: enough to make one torch and one pickaxe.

I guess another rule is....

I'll Fight Solo: My friends understand how I fight so they'll understand, but usually what I see, people don't help out in fighting. In DST, each mob has double HP, making it longer to fight. Imo, having help ruins my kiting "groove", but for newer players, it's better to group on a koelphant and spear it.

On 3/3/2016 at 5:53 AM, Weirdobob said:

You can actually make telltale hearts preemptively, I do it a lot myself.

I usually hang out with my friends who die a lot, and having available hearts lying around makes reviving that much easier.  Not to mention, it's a great way to boost up your sanity when your low.

If your good at killing butterflies like me, then keeping your health up to pay the telltale heart cost is effortless

23 minutes ago, Zackreaver said:

You can actually make telltale hearts preemptively, I do it a lot myself.

I usually hang out with my friends who die a lot, and having available hearts lying around makes reviving that much easier.  Not to mention, it's a great way to boost up your sanity when your low.

If your good at killing butterflies like me, then keeping your health up to pay the telltale heart cost is effortless

Yes, but im not wasting an inventory space on an item at all times, and I'm not one for running from a fight to base to get a heart from a chest to give to my friend to run and grab their stuff for them because they died somewhat far away and its the middle of winter. Id be lying if I said I didnt have hearts in chests, but I usually use them after fights, not during. Yes, they can be good for sanity, but that could just doom my friend to die again.

Here are two good ones

- Don't destroy pig houses or hound mounds

- Don't remove the berry bushes from the Moose Goose spawns

Believe it or not but you're not the only person or people playing on the server so when you destroy the pig houses to make your alchemy engine or move them closer to your location you deprive all the other players of said resource.  Instead just farm the houses until you can make your own and then farm those allowing other players to use the valuable resource as well.  Same with hound mounds.  #1 excuse, "I wanted to mine the rocks."  So you're telling me that you killed all the hounds that came out then permanently destroyed the mound just so you could mine rocks once.  Again there are MANY other people on the server and your one time mining operation does not trump the insurmountable benefit the mounds provide.   As for the berry bushes, cmon how many do you really need?  I see so many bases above and below with TOO many berry bushes and berries just rotting in fridges (im not exempt from this but I stretch a few berry bushes A LONG way due to Wicker strats).  But of all the berry bushes on the map we can afford to leave the ones at the Moose Goose spawns.  This helps EVERYONE find them quickly and easily come spring time rather than staring at the map wondering was it that frog pond or was it that one.  Not to mention but if you weren't even paying attention to the spawns when exploring the map you can quickly identify the ones you passed regardless if you noticed them or not. 

so many good points :-D

Especially the not destroying pig houses, mounds, replanting trees, not picking EVERY flower. I think most points everyone should care are tending to be good to the environment - not to other players. Everyone can make their own rules how to behave to one another - different ages, cultures, experiences .... But some rules here about the environment are very nice.

I mean, if you dude pick the damn flower, do you think another guy can pick this flower again or because it grows again??? Yeah it grows, but in 2 seasons later! Try to kill spiders, get silk craft bug net, catch butterflies, plant them again and get some food and light for the while time XD, its a high effort, same as for pig houses.

And here is my point, where many of you may disagree: this behavior must be also same in PvP: No pig housing hammering. If you do this and use it to kill me and others, then the only option for me and others is to destroy or get these resources first. From this it follows, that people on the first day will win then everytime. They got the resources and you, who joined on the 5. day, not...

1 hour ago, werlpolf said:

And here is my point, where many of you may disagree: this behavior must be also same in PvP: No pig housing hammering. If you do this and use it to kill me and others, then the only option for me and others is to destroy or get these resources first. From this it follows, that people on the first day will win then everytime. They got the resources and you, who joined on the 5. day, not...

Isn't that the point? PVP isn't about fair play and helping strangers, it's about doing whatever it takes to win. It encourages hammering/digging and destroying anything you don't need just so other players don't have acess. If you join outside of day 1 you have bigger problems than not finding resources, like battle ready Wickers/Wolfgangs walking around.

On 3/2/2016 at 10:28 PM, Asparagus said:

May I add something?

• Cut Large Trees and Replant one of the 2 Pine Cones in its PlaceI've been in a lot of servers and what I notice most about it is how most people treat the trees. Anywhere in the map we can see useless stumps that for some reason people leave behind because they think stumps grow into tress... so as a general rule, I make a shovel and when cutting trees, I make sure to cut the big ones to get a full 4 logs by digging up the stump and 2 pine cones to replant 1 in its place and make a tree farm somewhere else... 2 full size trees will give you enough for a log suit and save up your uses on your axe. The area around the spawn portal usually gets reduced to stumps which are not usable for anyone without a shovel and could have provided shade during Spring and Summer.

This might depend on the server type. I was on a wilderness server and a bunch of trees and such regenerated within about 40 days.

but people cutting down baby trees is probably one of my biggest pet peeves in this game.

also when everyone on the server except you is Woodie.

2 hours ago, Serph said:

PVP isn't about fair play

In order to fight each other and being able to say afterwards "yeah, you were better", is only possible with quite equal chances. With unequal chances [like you spawn 3 days later and go to the same position, which your opponent have been and where pig houses had been, but now they are hammered], you face yourself more to environment issues and challanges. The PvP get a PvE characteristic or become even PvE, when you starve or get killed by darkness because of removed resources over time - not being killed by an opponent. That's not the classic PvP I understand and which is being played in most other games.

You can play as unfair as you want against your opponents, but changing the environment permanently of a match cannot be called PvP anymore <- my oppinion. It would be different, when ALL resources would be renewable - say pig houses will be respawned over time...

With ghosts it really depends on the situation. If there's say, several ghosts on the server and almost everyone's about to be killed by terrorbeaks, at least ONE of the ghosts should leave if not ALL of them.

if there's only a few people on the server, and all the non-ghosts have decent sanity, ghosts can be helpful in distracting certain mobs and getting resources away from dangerous places like tentacles or spider dens. I even managed to kill the deerclops as a ghost once, by kiting it to a giant spider colony, getting killed, then turning all the level 3 dens into queens and letting them whittle down the deerclop's health until the queens were dead, then had the only other player on the server grab a gland to make a heart for me and a dropped spiderhat so I could go back to finish the job and grab loot without worrying about being murdered by spiders.

I'm pretty sure there is no other way for 2 people to kill a deerclops without decent weapons or armor.

18 hours ago, Clwnbaby said:

Yeah sorry PvP is definitely **** the land as much as possible for your own benefit

Why don't you use the word world? It would fit to our reality, too. Instead of SOME gamers, who are not seeing the whole picture and are presenting proudly their immaturity, there are SOME international companies leading to real death and worse environment by doing exactly the same. Actually, I am sorry - not only because that's quite off topic, but because everyone with such attitude can't ve a good life. There are quite 5%, who really try to kill others on sight in PvP servers. And these 5% don't care of that fact and of the more 'peacefull' attitudes and behaviours of others, but only of the environmental rules.

Therefore: you guys don't realize it, but you play actually PvE not PvP. Playing with unequal rules is not PvP. Klei can rename this mode in something else. If you really want PvP, then make a server or join in one, where in the description will be stated like "everyone will try to kill you!". You will realize, when joining there, that this server is and will be quite empty. Because many people bought this game with the reason of Don't Starve Together - doesn't matter if a 'pvp' mode is enabled.

2 hours ago, werlpolf said:

If you really want PvP, then make a server or join in one, where in the description will be stated like "everyone will try to kill you!". You will realize, when joining there, that this server is and will be quite empty.

LOL!  Join Strictly Professional PvP.  The attitude there IS everyone will kill you and you will see that it is FAR from empty ALL DAY LONG.  Also you're going way off topic.  This is etiquette toward fellow players not rules for PvP which are two COMPLETELY different topics.  But in conclusion if you join a PvP server expect to be killed.   Those who don't clearly shouldn't play PvP or don't know what PvP stands for.

I might be a bit late on this post honestly, but I do have a few pennies to throw in on this about player etiquette: 

1. Don't Rummage through People's things (chests, fridges, chester) at least without asking first. If you're the person who's started the base, you're probably going to have some things stored around in chests or a fridge for food. When you invite or if someone just goes to your base, that's fine until they start to look through your things. If you have something in mind you're looking for, you shouldn't be afraid to ask like several of the older posts have said. If you're just plain looking to take things, that's rather rude without asking first; and if you're curious to take items for your use, that's okay but the person who started and depends on their base to survive (and other people who also work at a base) deserve to know if items they've stored for either their use or everyone's use have disappeared (on top of their consent to you taking it). On top of that, messing up organizational systems are also a big pet peeve to some people too - for myself a very very big one. If you're going to look through someone's things, at least make sure you don't change or rearrange anything.

2. Be aware of the resources you consume (*ahem* beefalo *coughs*) In every server that starts in the fall, one of the biggest focuses are obviously going to be to prepare for winter. Beefalo are a huge part of this game - they give meat, poop, warm clothes, protection from hostile mobs - you name it. When there's usually only as many beefalo as there are fingers on your hand for each server, be considerate of how much you kill because even though they renew with time, destroying too many deprives people of a very very fundamental resource. So what you got a warm beefalo hat? Everyone else is huddling around a small fire because you couldn't settle for a winter hat (or even a tam o' shanter) On top of that, there are ways to get the warm clothes everyone wants without killing all the beefalo (a razor) so I don't see the practicality of killing beefalo. At the most, if there are too many (at least 20 or 4 herds) then picking some off probably won't affect too much. 

3. Be aware of how you affect a base. One of the biggest problems I see on occasion is irresponsible interaction with people in a base. You'll have one guy who eats all the food that someone cooks, and even takes the food that someone just made on the crock pot and just eats it. If someone made the food, it's there's - it's not that much effort into making/getting your own food. Above that, another annoyance I've experienced is people leaving themselves interacting with a storage device or a structure. When you're starving and your health is ticking down, there's nothing more frustrating than watching yourself die because someone was still in the fridge after making their food at the crock pot. It's just plain irresponsible and totally avoidable - it just takes being aware of those around you and what they might need. Same goes with things inside chests, though not usually as urgent. 

4. Be aware of different kinds of help. This one is more of a broad issue, but still something that could be addressed. Like mentioned previously, some people would prefer to not be helped with fights - they know what they're doing, or they want to feel proud of being independent- whatever floats your boat. Even if you're not like that though, some situations could use judgement before you try to help someone though; for example, fighting nightmares. For me I know how to fight nightmares - they're easy fuel basically, and when you're really in actual trouble you need to kill them to regain that sanity back before something worse comes. When people try to pitch in and help me fight, that causes problems because 1. When they kill the nightmare, they get the sanity for killing it - not me. I'm stuck over here with 8 sanity because I lost 5 in a fight from the aura and you have 150. When your sanity gets too low too, the Terrorbeaks come - no one likes dealing with them.

On 3/2/2016 at 4:20 PM, MenaAthena said:

Now this thread is not meant to call anyone out, nor is it about venting your frustrations over mistakes noobs make. These are tips aimed more at showing ways of being considerate than improving your skill at the game. 

I don't have a lot of time for playing computer games, so when I play DST I tend to hop on a random server and help out all I can before I have to leave (sometimes hosting my own server if I can't find one, which tends to be lonely), and I thought it would be nice to share ways I've found of not being a liability and not getting on peoples bad sides. I'd like to see other peoples tips too, in case there's some I've missed or just haven't thought of. So here's mine :3

• Don't ask where the Base is Right After Joining: This one's simple, but it goes a long way in not annoying people. Now I know that when you first enter a server you want to know where you can come to at night to cook and spam the /dance emote, but be patient. If you aren't given directions or offered an escort, explore, gather some things, get your bearings. People will respect you more if you survive a few days before asking where the base is located. Who knows, you may even find it on your own!
  • Don't Pick Everything: When first entering one of the many randomly generated islands, our brains tend to immediately slip into PICK ALL THE THINGS mode, especially those of us who've spent a fair amount of time in the single player game. However, when playing in multipayer, one has to stop and think, "Hey, if I systematically pick every bit of flint, grass, twigs, and food from around the portal in a ten mile radius, then there won't be anything left for new players!" Please, be considerate. How can you expect new players to survive a few days if they can't even scrounge up enough for a torch?
  • Drop some Flint by the Portal: It's a small thing that'll help out people just entering the server. You don't even have to go out of the way to do it; if you happen to be pasing by the portal and have some flint to spare, just drop some by it, or make a pickaxe to leave behind so they can collect their own. Heck, I've heard of people making a chest by the portal containing equipment like torches, rabbit earmuffs, and pickaxes to help new players out.
  • Don't Enter in Winter or Summer: Pay attention to the day and season of the server you're joining. If you want to join in a difficult season for some extra challenge, go ahead. Just don't expect everyone to drop what they're doing to help you out.
  • If you don't want Strangers, set a Password: You'd think this one would be a no brainer, but I've heard a lot of stories of people joining servers just to be kicked the moment they enter. I assume it only happens when someone doesn't know that they can make a password for they're server, but still, it's rude.
  • Drop your Stuff Before you Leave: Before you leave a server, it's nice to drop your items on the ground so others can use them. If you're playing with familiar people on a server you know you'll be on again, you can keep your equipment. In any case it's still rude to leave with gears, a big stack of silk, or any other important items still in your inventory, selfishly taking them out of reach of the unfortunate players left on the server.
  • Keep Busy: Look around the base. Does it still need some drying racks? A crockpot? Some farms? Do the traps need to be emptyed? Are you low on wood? Look around for things that need to be done, and if you're having trouble finding something, it never hurts to ask. No one likes a leach.

I hope you enjoyed reading through my wall of text and I didn't waste your time. Feel free to post helpful tips of your own, and you might help a few people become a little more helpful. Maybe.

If you want a tldr just read the bold text.

I agree with everything in this thread, except for the first one. If someone does not know how to play the game, instead of leaving them to die, you should ALWAYS let them in and then teach them.

"If you give a person a fish, you feed them for a day, if you teach them how to fish, you feed them forever"

If you deny someone either, he dies of starvation. 

Denying someone care just because you are scared of "Leechers" simply suggests you are not good enough at the game to support or teach other players.

20 minutes ago, StretchVanb said:

I agree with everything in this thread, except for the first one. If someone does not know how to play the game, instead of leaving them to die, you should ALWAYS let them in and then teach them.

"If you give a person a fish, you feed them for a day, if you teach them how to fish, you feed them forever"

Denying someone care just because you are scared of "Leechers" simply suggests you are not good enough at the game to support or teach other players.

I wasn't trying to imply that you should deny anyone from entering your base when they ask where it is or that you shouldn't teach new players. It's very courteous to leave directional signs or offer to escort to new players to the base. I wasn't trying to descourage that.

However, I know that people tend to get annoyed when the second someone new enters the first thing out of their mouth is, "where is base??" and simply exploring a couple days before asking goes a surprisingly long way in not making a bad impression.

On 3/18/2016 at 4:05 AM, thegreatmanagement said:

I might be a bit late on this post honestly, but I do have a few pennies to throw in on this about player etiquette: 

1. Don't Rummage through People's things (chests, fridges, chester) at least without asking first. If you're the person who's started the base, you're probably going to have some things stored around in chests or a fridge for food. When you invite or if someone just goes to your base, that's fine until they start to look through your things. If you have something in mind you're looking for, you shouldn't be afraid to ask like several of the older posts have said. If you're just plain looking to take things, that's rather rude without asking first; and if you're curious to take items for your use, that's okay but the person who started and depends on their base to survive (and other people who also work at a base) deserve to know if items they've stored for either their use or everyone's use have disappeared (on top of their consent to you taking it). On top of that, messing up organizational systems are also a big pet peeve to some people too - for myself a very very big one. If you're going to look through someone's things, at least make sure you don't change or rearrange anything.

Normally I rummage around chests to see what resources we need more of, since most of the time when I ask people what resources we need, they either don't know, or say something basic like "cut grass" or "more food." Or gears even though we already have 4 iceboxes.

This is my tip: DON'T PICK THE FLOWERS AROUND THE BEE BOXES.

I'm pretty focused on making bee boxes if the server doesn't have one yet, and I really love it when people pick the flowers around my bee boxes. Even if I say ''Can you please not pick the flowers?'' They still won't listen. After saying it 3 times I just get really irritated.

5 hours ago, StretchVanb said:

The tip wasn't to not help newbies, it was to avoid logging into a server and asking to be escorted right away. Players might be busy and everyone has the right to not trust/help you.

Archived