"Skin Gift" drops

Question for y'all at Klei.

Jamie and Kelly mentioned in todays stream that we'll (eventually) be receiving gift packages of skin-piece craftables as we play and log more hours into DST. My question - will "play time" be retroactive, or will it be based on time after the content is added? So, for example, will I receive a drop right away if I've played 400 hours already, or will my playtime start at zero after this is added?

yeah man. it would be great if we can get it right away since I played even more than you :razz:. We deserved a nice beefalo backpack did not we?

Also please add suits for skins. I want ties and bowties option for it :razz:. Let us suit up like a mafia to say hello to our little friends.

Slayt1.jpg

I don't think they mean hours logged on to the game. I think they mean play time so you have a chance to get one while playing a random drop chance almost. 

So are you thinking like this?

4 hours at once = 1st drop

8 hours at once = 2nd drop

12 hours at once = 3rd drop

I'm hoping it will be more like:

4 hours total = 1 drop

8 hours total = 1 drop

12 hours total = 1 drop

Those numbers are flexible of course, just used as an example to illustrate how it can scale. I'm hoping for the latter myself, since I don't always have the time to invest in half-days or more playing DST. When I host, I'm online for a good amount hours, but when I join other player worlds, it's typically because I just want to play for a bit, and contribute when and where I can.

So are you thinking like this?

4 hours at once = 1st drop

8 hours at once = 2nd drop

12 hours at once = 3rd drop

I'm hoping it will be more like:

4 hours total = 1 drop

8 hours total = 1 drop

12 hours total = 1 drop

Those numbers are flexible of course, just used as an example to illustrate how it can scale. I'm hoping for the latter myself, since I don't always have the time to invest in half-days or more playing DST. When I host, I'm online for a good amount hours, but when I join other player worlds, it's typically because I just want to play for a bit, and contribute when and where I can.

Im saying its random. Sometimes you might get two drops in 3 hours or you may get none in 5.

Potato Cup is love, Potato Cup is life. It really should be default for everyone.

Off-topic, but in all seriousness, they should totally implement thirst in DS Shipwrecked and make the Potato Cup a drinking item. Not that I want one more thing to manage, but I love the meta.

So, for example, will I receive a drop right away if I've played 400 hours already, or will my playtime start at zero after this is added?

I really hope that our time starts at zero. Five weeks ago when I hit 1000 hours I went on a break until Caves get added.. So yeah. I'd just be given all of the skins.. And It'd be nice to have to "work" for them. 

Im just gunna save the time and not do a Nick's opinion on skin drops, but i dont think people get what they mean by play time. I think they mean they have a random drop chance sorta like in tf2 or csgo you unlock them randomly while playing. Not about how many hours you have on the game.

I very much hope the skin drops are at least not in specific order. Sure, there can be some super rare special skins (not a single one), but if everybody gets the same standard skin and the same first few skins in the same order then obviously the main point of skins is not achieved: differentiation.

despite the debalancing, i'd prefer if this was actually a thing, because i don't want to play for hours to seperate myself from everyone else. 

I dont think it is a good idea. I mean in this game, there is no leveling system which makes you different than others in lets say some other games. It is kind of a leveling system which shows he played more than a newcomer and how experienced he is.

Potato Cup is love, Potato Cup is life. It really should be default for everyone.

Off-topic, but in all seriousness, they should totally implement thirst in DS Shipwrecked and make the Potato Cup a drinking item. Not that I want one more thing to manage, but I love the meta.

There is a Thirst mod for DS if you want to check that out.  However, it doesn't include the potato cup as a drinking vessel).  

I don't want Skipwrecked to have thirst. It then slides in with all the survivals games with hunger and thirst.

Back on topic:

I'm just hyped for skins.

probably someone gonna make a mod to give those gifts to people right away.

I doubt it. My guess:

While playing the game you will randomly (time of play matters?) receive information about receiving Skin Gift, which might be just a usable Steam Inventory item or completely handled by Klei servers, I could bet on the second option as it would let them control abuses and stuff. After receiving a Skin Gift you will open it on Science Machine and it will drop random customization item into your Steam Inventory - similar to like a crafting game badge on Steam does. That was already explained on the stream.

c_give("mysterious_gift",50)

100% sure this aint gonna happen.

Archived