Is it true that Don't Starve: Ship Wrecked

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/57632-why-not-make-shipwrecked-mountable/

Not to buff myself up but I think this is the best compromise :-)

I'm not getting your idea Union. Do you suggest that SW be like caves or its like a world where we cant bring anything in and cant bring anything out but we can access it ingame? That wouldnt be much of help though.

Btw I just thought of something in the shower(my meditation place). If they can't add SW to DS because of new codes, new engines or whatever why not just add DS and ROG to SW !!!!!

If they do decide to make standalone still I at least want to have all new characters for ROG

I'm not getting your idea Union. Do you suggest that SW be like caves or its like a world where we cant bring anything in and cant bring anything out but we can access it ingame? That wouldnt be much of help though.

Btw I just thought of something in the shower(my meditation place). If they can't add SW to DS because of new codes, new engines or whatever why not just add DS and ROG to SW !!!!!

If they do decide to make standalone still I at least want to have all new characters for ROG

The wor-d is -ike caves and boats are on-y usab-e on SW water. --ease -ost in that thread to avoid going offto-ic.  A-- craftab-es avaiab-e a-- wor-ds

The wor-d is -ike caves and boats are on-y usab-e on SW water. --ease -ost in that thread to avoid going offto-ic. A-- craftab-es avaiab-e a-- wor-ds

I'm still sctratching my head and you covering P and L letters with a line makes it all the worse. Don't think you'll get a member title by doing that dude!

Yeah, I don't get how his L key wasn't working two days ago, started working again, then crapped out once more an hour and a half later.

Anyway, I don't really like the concept of a method to "escape" to Shipwrecked, so to speak. Makes me think of Morrowind, where you had to go to two really specific people (and no others) to get to the DLC worlds. Just seems clunky.

Yeah, I don't get how his L key wasn't working two days ago, started working again, then crapped out once more an hour and a half later.

Anyway, I don't really like the concept of a method to "escape" to Shipwrecked, so to speak. Makes me think of Morrowind, where you had to go to two really specific people (and no others) to get to the DLC worlds. Just seems clunky.

You mean making shipwrecked get accessed like caves? Why would it be a problem? It's the best option.

You would be able to bring stuff with you, except followers (because piggies and water dont mix), and it wont act like a teleportato, you would be able to return back to it.

Making shipwrecked isles part of the rog world would be a bad idea, how are you going to track seasons and giants? Does deerclops take a holiday off and goes for a swim to a tropical paradise? No. The world size would double, and islands would be hardly acessible because of the main land.

The fake looking waves would imply that it is all like a thatre show, and you are in the middle of the act. The isles are the backstage where there is more realism, if you would consider this a more lore-ish explanation.

I have been lurking in the forums since RoG was announced and I have finally decided to take part in this discussion, since it seems it can be taken into consideration for the SW release.

The only problem I see with the implementation or not of SW in the RoG world is that it is very “extreme”. Let me explain, either you make it standalone or you fully implement it into the world (mob interactions, islands in the normal world, sailable vanilla sea, windy weather/storms mixed with the 4 seasons…). That’s because if you take a “mountable” approach, like some people have already suggested, we would have to deal with dead items, objects that would be useless if brought to the other world. What’s the point of bringing a windbreaker (the fur vest that, I assume, prevents some effects of the wind) to the vanilla world if there is no wind? Or any kind of boat if you can’t sail?  Why bring a machete if there aren’t any resources in the RoG world that can be cut that way?

That’s why I think that the standalone route is not a really bad idea, since it doesn´t mess with the balance already established in RoG, while providing more Don`t Starve with a different twist.

I have been lurking in the forums since RoG was announced and I have finally decided to take part in this discussion, since it seems it can be taken into consideration for the SW release.

The only problem I see with the implementation or not of SW in the RoG world is that it is very “extreme”. Let me explain, either you make it standalone or you fully implement it into the world (mob interactions, islands in the normal world, sailable vanilla sea, windy weather/storms mixed with the 4 seasons…). That’s because if you take a “mountable” approach, like some people have already suggested, we would have to deal with dead items, objects that would be useless if brought to the other world. What’s the point of bringing a windbreaker (the fur vest that, I assume, prevents some effects of the wind) to the vanilla world if there is no wind? Or any kind of boat if you can’t sail?  Why bring a machete if there aren’t any resources in the RoG world that can be cut that way?

That’s why I think that the standalone route is not a really bad idea, since it doesn´t mess with the balance already established in RoG, while providing more Don`t Starve with a different twist.

Lolwut? You already have an answer to that question. You simply don't bring them with you. What are you talking about man.  :grin:

"Why bring fishing gear to a mountain hike?" That's because you don't. As far as I remember, the player has full control other his inventory.

Why would you even want to sail in a RoG world? Take a look at these world generation options that we have now.

The only thing you can use it in the default RoG is faster transportation. In SW, it's the only way to get to other islands, in my opinion, boats have nothing to do in RoG or base game because it's simply not a part of the same experience.

Well there are three possibilities:

1. STANDALONE

This will probably happen but if it does Klei need to have LOT of content to make this standalone and not just re-skin old stuff and items and put them to SW like monkeys, crabs are rabbits and toucans are birds, etc. So this won't be DLC as they say it will be but some kind of Don't Starve 3 (since DST is 2)? So i hope they prepared lot of content since they want to make this standalone. If there is as much as in ROG this just can't be standalone right? From what we see on youtube and stream i don't think that they have that much new content for SW sadly even with some other stuff Joe mentioned. Well still we need to see what else they have.

2. DLC (as caves - another world/loading screen)

Well this is still doable IMO but we need to really think about this option and if we want it. Can we use chester in this SW? DS:SW without chester? O.o Can we bring our friends to SW like we can to caves? Can we bring them from SW? And many many more questions. I don't know. This looks like win win situation but i was really hyped about next option

3. DLC (as ROG)

THIS is what i want and what i and i think many others expected when Klei said that there will be expansion/DLC for DS.

- as they changed seasons in ROG they can change water to SW water without problems. Add beach there and there so we can build boats and other "biome ending" still can be cliffs like it is now so we "can't" go to water or build a bout - we need to find beach.

- the world can be bigger so we can have those islands around our big main island. I think this is without problem since my iPhone 5S can load and run without problems this existing world i think our PC/Macs can do bigger world.

- from main world we can build only raft - from existing resources to sail to islands where we can find resources for bigger boats because lets think about raft - who will build raft since you can build bigger boat without problems.

- new seasons can be present only on island since we already have 4 seasons on main land. They said that there are seasonS too in SW so for example in spring we get heavy rain on main land but monsoons on islands and in winter we get snow on main land and "smaller winter" on islands with ice falling from sky. Or whatever. I think this is doable too. Just make seasons tropical seasons (DS style)

- Klei could make bigger transporting boat that will act as a extension of beach when docked so we can transport pigs, beefalo, spider, chester, Abigail, whatever.

- i can type forever about this, about amazing new stuff we could do or how it could be done

- this way we can play new characters in DS and DS+ROG and go sailing when we want, use new items in our main land, travel with boats when our goal is long for walk, use new items in caves! and also maybe transport new mobs, friends to mainland? Just amazing.

- this is what i was expecting from SW. Sadly Klei saw this differently and went with standalone (i don't know why they even this about it, maybe they didn't and Capy did who knows). If they change their minds and make SW like this i would buy 3 copies of SW (at any price) and gift it to someone. (I stand by my words!)

Well there are three possibilities:

Islands around the main-land? I bet it's fun getting a message in a bottle only to have to travel the whole main-land only to get to it, and since you can disembark only on beaches, surprise surprise. ;)

What the big deal about it being a separate world? Why would you need to transport beefalos and other mobs to islands?

This isn't minecraft so you can make the world your convenience, you have to adapt to it, not vice-a-versa, that's why you can't dig up reeds for example, it's an idea the game is based upon.

You can make pig/bunny houses on the islands.

They will make the game optimal to the requirements, not just because some people can load bigger worlds.

And what if the isles have un-renewable resources like those sandstone rocks (or what were they called)? Wouldn't people want more isles then? This can be easily fixed by making it like the caves - a separate world.

Well i'll drop my two cents in this matter, i love you guys at Klei and i'm gonna buy and play this anyway when it's released, why? because i want to live by the beach and eat fish till i get a disease, build a nice boat and get all the buried treasures (and that's just the content that has been showed so far, we don't even know how BIG it is going to be).

My opinion in the DS+ROG+SW: no way for me, it's a whole different thing in my opinion, you can't mix them all together and expect it not to be a mess, you would have to change the current water and shores and make so we can walk to the beach so the DS+ROG normal world would be in the middle and the SW content in the perimeter, so that would be a mess, the new weather and seasons wouldn't work because we are talking about tropical weather, hurricanes,wind, etc, it just wouldn't work and if they implement it, i don't think would be as good as we expect.

My opinion on a new .exe and not a DLC:  I'll pay anyway either for a DLC or a standalone, but don't mix ROG with it entirely. Maybe you could mix some ROG stuff in SW? yeah but since we are in a new world with new features it is better if you let the new stuff be in it and just re-skin some things that are neccesary, like raincoats (there are no tentacle spots in SW since there is no swamp, so i expect a reskin, what it's totally cool for me) and eyebrellas (i guess you'll include a 100% rain protection for the head slot since there won't be deerclops, so reskin too, totally fine). 

But, in the end i would love to be able to travel from my ROG world there, making a portal, building a boat and just finding a tunnel or something that would let us find this new world, and i understand that would include making it possible for DS only players to get it and travel there, so we would have DS+SW and DS+ROG+SW not sure it that's ok, i think it is ok :-) . I'm sure some people don't want the harder DS+RoG that they will find the DS+SW awesome and worth buying.

SO, i'll play it anyway, standalone or DLC, i don't want it to be mixed with RoG but i do want to be able to travel there from my RoG world in some way, be able to enable it along with RoG, make a new world and find my way to the SW content, that way we have the vanilla DS for new players and two DLCs with a lot of new content, instead of two standalones DS and SW that would make new players choose one and prolly be really confused on which one should they pick if they can only afford one of them.

I love your idea and i think you're right! I forget that SW wont just be BOATS! Its alot of things as if its almost a new era in the DS universe. Maybe we will be on an archipelago of tropical islands instead of the one big mainland in DS. Everything is way to early on to be expecting anything anyways.

• Developer

Reading through this was painful.

I cringed a lot of times.

... Am I really the only guy that doesn't care if it ends up being Standalone or DLC and just wants to play it and have fun?

If it's gonna be standalone then it's gonna have a crap ton of new stuff, if it was a DLC, maybe not so much.

The only thing I actually ask for is that they keep all the characters in SW, even the RoG ones, I dunno, make the game recognise if you have DLC or nah.

But even if they don't do that, I'll still throw my money at them. They deserve it, and I'm a die-hard fan of DS : P

Obviously, adding SW as DLC ROG-like is gonna be a lot of work of balancing and debugging.

So I totally agree with Cyde042 and some others. This problem could be solved by placing an entrance/portal/wormhole, crafted or found, that would connect the "DS world" to "SW world".

The biggest point is to be able to access all the content with one save.  It is in my opinion a problem that can't stay unresolved, as a standalone edition would do.

I'm guessing (but maybe I guess wrong, we didn't see a lot of the new content in SW after all) that the main problems with bringing SW to DS-ROG would be the implementation of the new mechanics and seasons that would interact (and probably cause problems) with the stuff (winter, giants....) that already exist in DS.

It seems like this problem could be solved via a portal of some sort.

The only thing that remains would be how new stuff would react in DS-ROG when brought via the portal, and how the old stuff would react in SW. There could be some balance problems.

There's also DST. It would probably cause some issues to get SW content in Together if Klei decided to use a system of separated worlds like for the caves. But after all they are already working to get this problem solved with the caves. Since SW was started before DST I don't think compatibility with multiplayer was the most important goal anyway.

I also see one last tiny problem, maybe Capy would like to get a bit more credit for their work, as in a standalone they would be able to display their name on the main screen. Maybe Capy could get their name on the main screen of the game, or maybe a short cinematic featuring Capy's logo could be played the first time we access the SW world. I don't really know, just thought it could be worth to remember that.

Anyway I don't know what will Klei and Capy decide in the end, it's their game after all, but if they are attached to feedback from the community, well there are my thoughts.

I also see one last tiny problem, maybe Capy would like to get a bit more credit for their work, as in a standalone they would be able to display their name on the main screen. Maybe Capy could get their name on the main screen of the game, or maybe a short cinematic featuring Capy's logo could be played the first time we access the SW world. I don't really know, just thought it could be worth to remember that.

Anyway I don't know what will Klei and Capy decide in the end, it's their game after all, but if they are attached to feedback from the community, well there are my thoughts.

The credits isn't really an issue, like you said, add a small cinematic of some seconds where you see the shipwrecked logo with a small island 'n' coconut trees, seagull sounds and CAPY written under the logo.

It would happen when the world creation would end with shipwrecked enabled.(i know there's more subtle ways to do that like with the main menu etc)

Also, if the choice was given to me, i would prefer the world with islands and the main island on the same page. A big world with both(why not break the main island into biome islands, with only small parts of the islands being beach, it would add more meaning at the start of DS[building a boat to find the other islands and needed ressources] rather than just go frenzy picking berries and grass. That would be how to merge DS/RoG with Shipwrecked.) But all that is dreaming, and the only people here able to do something are Klei and Capy. Hope they'll do their best.

I'm still sctratching my head and you covering P and L letters with a line makes it all the worse. Don't think you'll get a member title by doing that dude!

His keyboard is broken.

On-topic, I don't mind it being standalone. Sure, it creates a bit of clutter for the player, but considering how much has to be changed for things to work across both versions of the game for developers and modders alike it'd be much easier to make it a standalone expansion.

The fake looking waves would imply that it is all like a thatre show, and you are in the middle of the act. The isles are the backstage where there is more realism, if you would consider this a more lore-ish explanation.

I never thought they looked like that for that reason, so when I read this, I was a little taken aback, honestly. I love that now.

Looking at the demo, the games looks like a reimagining of Don't Starve and a return to the early concept art from the puzzles. Also, I like the mounting Idea but instead of a portal, make it a ship you have to build and once you built it, you push it into the water, and sail away. you get shipwrecked and the items you were carrying are3 scattered across the islands.

I, personally, prefer the ideaarrow-10x10.png of a standalone. Just because of the fact that it would probably be more of an experience in the long run. They seem to be completely redesigning the over-world as well, to fit Shipwrecked. There would be too much content to deal with, with caves, regular, RoG, and SW. I would prefer that all the content was available to me on release, and not when I manage to find a portal.

I, personally, prefer the ideaarrow-10x10.png of a standalone. Just because of the fact that it would probably be more of an experience in the long run. They seem to be completely redesigning the over-world as well, to fit Shipwrecked. There would be too much content to deal with, with caves, regular, RoG, and SW. I would prefer that all the content was available to me on release, and not when I manage to find a portal.

I actually think the opposite will happen, it will be beneficial in the short term because its new and you can access it right off the bat. (although if they add a portal to access the islands that take what maybe 5-10 minutes of exploring the map?) But in the longterm the newness will wear off, you'll notice the similarities between it and the base game and will then have to choose which game to play leaving you with the feeling that it would've been better if they were in the same game. (I'm using "you" here as a general form and not you personally)

I actually think the opposite will happen, it will be beneficial in the short term because its new and you can access it right off the bat. (although if they add a portal to access the islands that take what maybe 5-10 minutes of exploring the map?) But in the longterm the newness will wear off, you'll notice the similarities between it and the base game and will then have to choose which game to play leaving you with the feeling that it would've been better if they were in the same game. (I'm using "you" here as a general form and not you personally)

And this is a perfectly valid argument. However, what about when you're looking for that portal, do you collect stuff and make a base in RoG? Or do you rush to the portal and make a base in SW? The difference between caves and SW, is that the SW islands are designed to be more permanently inhabited, but caves aren't (due to the darkness and other dangers). So, in the end, we would have to choose between which world we made a base/spent most of our time in anyway.

Archived