Fireside Chats (with a video game designer) - September 10, 2014

• Developer

I signed up but only play the standalone. Still good to go?

I also want a poster! Where can I get one?

The closed beta will be through Steam only, but you won't need to own Don't Starve on Steam in order to play it (it will be a separate download during the beta period). So, you'll need to get a Steam account, but not have to buy Don't Starve there.

We'll have a more thorough FAQ going up soon. Just giving the dedicated readers of my fireside chats a little leg up for now :)

Perhaps regarding the issue with player indication icons on the UI being too meta, you could layer on some significance and multi-functionality to existing items with currently limited usage within the base game.

The Compass is a good example, as it requires specific enough materials that you have to know about it and actively gather one of the materials (papyrus is generally a resource I don't collect unless I'm specifically trying to make a Bird Cage or other item) yet its only real functionality is to check your current orientation, so you can re-right yourself if you rotate the screen too much and forget the initial angle you were playing from. That in itself is a rather minor functionality, and it took me a while to realize this was the only real purpose of the Compass aside from looking neat. Perhaps the Compass could be reworked, or even be involved in the crafting of a new item recipe, some scientifically/magically conductive device to guide yourself to other players, like a magnetic detection field of some sort.

Perhaps you can use this Magnetic Tracker (I'm just going to call it that for now) as some strange guiding mechanism that could function like the Divining Rod, only effective when equipped in your hand, except it would vaguely direct you to other players who also hold a Magnetic Tracker in their inventory, increasing the intensity of an audio/visual frequency as you become closer to one another. This could be a great way to reunite with allies, or detect potential threats, all without the need of a blatant UI indicator, not to say that is also a nice option to have for those who want it.

Anyways, fantastic update as always, thanks so much for keeping us in the know Seth, and thanks for that "hot scoop" ;)

I kind of thought it would be neat if with another piece made of similar resources you could get the Compass to home in to that. Say your main fire pit. Add in the Tracker piece and that's where your Compass will point. 

Anyway, that was a lot to read but it was totally worth it! :D Reading all that just made me even more excited for the upcoming Alpha and finished product. And more merchandise, MY WEAKNESS. Any chance you guys will be selling prints soon? I'm going to pretend I have room on my walls for them. I can make room and if not they'd go on the roof

[vibrates from excitement]

post-267501-0-21763100-1410382621_thumb.

Just got through reading about your time at PAX and signing up for the beta. Looks like you guys had a blast there and hopefully some helpful feedback to make DST an even better experience for players old and new. If I get in my first action would be to run as far away from spawn and live as a hermit for a bit to gather materials before looking for other players. I'd rather be safe then sorry when attempting to make new "friends" without a logsuit and spear on standby just in case ;)

Anyway, good luck squashing those bugs and making DST the best it can be.

The closed beta will be through Steam only, but you won't need to own Don't Starve on Steam in order to play it (it will be a separate download during the beta period). So, you'll need to get a Steam account, but not have to buy Don't Starve there.

We'll have a more thorough FAQ going up soon. Just giving the dedicated readers of my fireside chats a little leg up for now :)

Ok. So, just to be absolutely sure, even after reading the FAQ. I own DS on standalone, also I have a Steam account. So I'm eligible? Woo-hoo!!! Please pick me SethR! I can make a cup AND a bowl out of a potato!!

(LET ME BE THE FIRST ONE IN NOW~!) Sadly I will have to kill you and eat you all! I am very nice and peaceful. Is is a bad thing I play LoL? I am schizophrenic. No I'm not! Yes I am. No I'm not! Yes I am. No I'm not!   

I make it a personal policy not to do beta testing (that's too much like work), but it's nice to hear that it's out there. To those who are about to die, I salute you--be diligent with those bugreps, and keep Klie on their toes! Good luck, Kliesters, and may your code always compile. Sounds like you're jumping from crunch to crunch--don't overdo it; keep those creative juices juicy.

Perhaps another way of handling the player arrows would be to put it more in each player's hands, by having a "shout" action. Shouting shows players in a certain range of you what direction you are from them.

For example, if I'm playing with friends, and one of them finds something good (the pig king!), they can be like "come over here!" and then use the shout in game to show whereabouts they are.

I bet there are appropriate voice files for each of them that could be lightly modified to suit shouting as well :D

Archived