When and why did you start playing Don't Starve?

I got it quite early and loved it, sent the extra copies I received to my friends and they all enjoyed it too. It is really addicting and was super fun to play. Suprisingly, watching people play it was equally as fun! Probably my favourite 2d (sorta) survival game well, not considering Terraria as that to me is much of an adventure game.

July last year, I think it was strange new powers.
I'd been meaning to get it since friends recommended it. What finally did it was when someone explained the new character (Woodie) and I was just; "Yes. That sounds great." 
Now I'm so far down the rabbit hole... 

Sit back and relax kiddies.

Well, First I got REALLY bored and started to search markiplier's channel.  I found Don't Starve, and I was some-what interested in the game.  I went to DA and looked at comics.  At that moment I fell in love with Don't Starve.

On the site CAN YOU RUN IT it said I could not play Don't Starve.  

PLEASE DON'T GET MAD.

But I pirated it JUST TO SEE IF IT WORKED.

and it did,

so I bought the whole thing. ROG and all.

and played the F*** out of it (until my eyes became bloodshot)

And now I continue to play the game, to this day

Someone told me abou the fourms,

I joined and made friends

THE END.

Well it started when I found out about Don't Starve by the various youtubers I follow (Jesse Cox, TB, Dodger, Yogscast, etc. Go Polaris!) and well, by the time I got through several videos on the game I had seen enough to know I would really enjoy the game!

Then only partially regret my decision after many, many, many deaths later.

I saw a Yogscast video about it, and thought, "Hey, that's kinda cool!"

I didn't buy it.

Then there was this big portion of time where absolutely nothing happened.

And then I chanced upon it again, and bought it.

I basically did this too, but instead of absolutely nothing, I got hooked on the lore then came here. After a couple months, I decided if I was going to try to be a part of these forums, I should at least own the game. I got it right after the Beta came out, I can't recall what the update was.

I was playing FTL, and having problems, so I started watching this guy from Canada on Youtube named Vanguard of Valor(VoV.)

After using his tips and becoming a very good FTL player, I checked his other games. I saw this weird game name and wondered,

"Why would somebody play a game named 'Don't Starve'? Who wants to Starve anyway?" After seeing a few episodes, it hooked me. i had to try it out for myself. So on July 2nd 2013, I purchased it from Klei's Widget site.

If I ever thought FTL was complicated to figure out, I could have completely ignored any tutorial instructions which DS did from day one, literally. It made other roguelikes look almost easy by comparison. And why the hell was there this door in the middle of the wilderness....

You all know the rest about me since I joined the forums back then. 

Haha! I also joined thanks to Vov (got into the modding community of FTL too thanks to him) and I joined right aroudn the end of update where science points were still a thing. Before Vov though, I saw the Yogscast do a short playthrough of Don't starve, at which point i went this game looks cool. And it was and continued to be :)

I wanted the TF2 hat and weapon that came with it, and thought the game looked good enough that I could afford to drop $10 on it. I haven't used the Wilson Weave or the Ham Shank since I got them, but I don't regret the purchase even slightly.

I'm amazed that I'm the first person with this answer.

Saw it on Steam as I was looking to see if they had Minecraft.

Ignored it.

Many months later I saw the dc on sale and got interested.

Looked up a bunch of stuff on the wiki, watched ZackScott play an early vertion of the game, and hesitated a whole lot.

Bought the game.

My buddy told me about this amazing Minecraft-like game that was SUPER hard. He said it was great for passing short bits of time because you never live more than a few days. He proudly told me that he once made it all the way to day 8. II watched him stream it for a while, and it seemed pretty awesome (although not much like Minecraft). Then I fould out they were working on multiplayer, and I was sold.

My buddy told me about this amazing Minecraft-like game that was SUPER hard. He said it was great for passing short bits of time because you never live more than a few days. He proudly told me that he once made it all the way to day 8. II watched him stream it for a while, and it seemed pretty awesome (although not much like Minecraft). Then I fould out they were working on multiplayer, and I was sold.

Day Eight?!

Inconceivabru+Don+t+know+if+already+been

Well around some month early this year(yea I'm pretty new)... March? April? Maybe February? My beloved let me play it!

He was smitten with this game. He talked about it all the time, and the times he wasn't talking about it he sat in the Student Center of our college we went to playing it. I never knew he was playing it, I just saw him on his laptop all the time. We got closer overtime, and few weeks before we got together he told me to sit next to him on the couch. I was pretty surprised at first. (He always sits on the chair by the couch, so naturally with my huge crush on him at the time I was pretty flustered he wanted to sit by me on the couch.) He had his laptop in his lap as usual and he told me he wanted to show me "Don't Starve". That was the game he always talked about. See he's the kind of guy that tries to look cool cus he thinks he's cool, but he's really an adorable dork. And you saw what a cute dork he was when he talked about Don't Starve. He really lit up about it hehe. Anyways! I was really excited because he wanted to share the game he adored with me!

So I happily sat down beside him and leaned over a little to check it out. He pulls it up, explains what type of game it is, and of course I think it looks really rad and I dug the art style a lot. Then... He told me to play it. I thought WHAT!? I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW! I CAN'T PLAY THIS GAME HE LOVES SO MUCH TERRIBLY! But despite my internal freakout I gave it a shot. I was Wilson since he started up a new file for me and Wilson is he favorite hehe. But anyways, I was so lost and he didn't help at all! He refused to guide me and kept insisting I experience it for myself! I'm glad he did though and despite me asking so many unanswered questions every five seconds I really enjoyed the game! I lived for what? 12 days? 15? I thought I did good having no idea what I was doing! XDD

But yea, I fell in love with it (and him, ye we hooked up 'round this time) and every time I could play with him I did. Then one day when I was over at his house he asked if I checked my steam today. I told him no and he told me I should. So I hop on and see I have a gift waiting for me. I look and it's the Don't Starve two-pack. From him. (I wanted to buy it myself but yea money) You can imagine how ecstatic I was! I thanked him hundreds of times and have been playing ever since!

I play this game because it's what a game should be. It's an experience that completely envelops you in this magical (and scary!) world. Every single thing that's happened to me in this game has been nothing short of awesome. It's been funny, inspiring, terrifying, exhilarating, and everything in between. I'm so glad I found this game! It's truly an amazing experience!

I saw people posting pictures of themselves playing as a Gravity Falls character for a mod, and having loved Gravity Falls, I decided to try it out because it looked pretty interesting. I couldn't get it right away though with loss of money so I watched a Youtuber play it in the meantime. After a month I was finally able to get it, and I have no regrets at all. i think I also joined around the caves update, so that was pretty exciting too. 

There are only a few serious gamers at my office, with me being one of them. One of the other gamers asked me on Slack toward the end of June if I enjoyed that game "Don't Starve," because he was having trouble getting into it. Somehow I hadn't heard of it before (which was awesome; I definitely think the best way to experience the game is to go into completely cold).

Two days later I wrote "Sorry, Don't Starve is awesome."

My husband and I have been playing it basically nonstop ever since.

Can't remember the exact update name, but it was around when gobblers and treeguards were added, but before the whole tree-wall fix. I noticed a new game being streamed with a bunch of people one night, and decided to check it out after the art style hooked me. Haven't regretted it.

Archived