When and why did you start playing Don't Starve?

I started playing pretty much right after they removed the "science points" that were required to craft things in the past.  Back when you had to put things into the science machine to gain enough points to craft. 

As for the reason I started playing, well, that should be obvious.  It's a fantastic game!  I've always had a soft spot for roguelikes, and adding survival to it just makes it all the tastier.

I'm just now coming back onto these forums after having not touched this game in forever (I stopped playing right before Woody's release, and I started playing back when you had to get those weird 'Lightbulb Points" in order to learn crafting recipes. 

I'm hear because I heard multiplayer was being added.

Only recently, during the Where There's a Wilson update.
I picked it up because one of my friends really adored it and I'd always wanted to try it out, but had no.. well, push.
(I'm kinda lazy.)

But I really enjoy it.. it may come up next to TF2 in my playtime someday.

I started playing before insanity and before caves... A long time ago.... I then stopped playing for quite a while.

I started playing because it looked like a really fun game all in all.

I stopped playing for a while because I got wrapped up in school, art and some pretty awesome science. (I am one of the most feared people in my school considering I shot someone with a simple baking soda and vinegar gun and turned my friends "water" black in an instant) Science is so freaking fun.....

I started playing because of one of my friends was playing on steam, and i just thought... what is this game?... i checked it out... Seemed realy cool... i bought it... Aaaaand... Yeah... been playing it on and off for a while now^^'

Quite a story. My friend brought it one day to my house to show me. It was a pirated copy and she didn't really know how to play the game back then. She just told me that you have to run constantly and try not to starve to death or get killed :p. I survived 6 days just running around, can't remember what killed me. Charlie, probably. After a few days of playing that copy I decided to buy the game becaused I enjoyed it so much and wanted the updates that came with it. I turned out I got two copies and gifted one to that friend :). Then I discovered the forum and a DS wiki and I was hooked. The version I purchased was still early-access and had just got the spoilage update, I think. Good times.

Thanks to the game I stopped being a pirate and vowed never to download an illegal copy again.

It was late this summer. I was looking through the Let's Plays of one of my favorite youtube channels when I found a Don't Starve one.

I thought as I watched it: "Hmm... Interesting name. I'll check it out. Oh my god, it's steampunk! I love the art style. Oh, so it's a survival game like Minecraft." (I never could figure out what was so fun about Minecraft).

*cracks up at Wilson's trumpet voice*

"What's the brain icon for? Night is scary! Whoa, perma-death! Does this game have a wiki?"

*searches internets*

"It does! Oh, there's so much to do! Okay no more spoilers, I must have this!"

Saw a friend play, looked interesting so figured I'd give it a shot.  Suddenly...

- Permadeath

- Constant juggling of Sanity/Hunger/Health

- Changing seasons (started before ROG and Winter felt harder)

- No hand holding

- GIANTS!!!

And I was hooked, had recently brought FTL and was loving the Roguelike nature of it and to find a game like this...  Am still playing it over a year later while my friends have given up on it being too hard.  Compared to most games nowadays, I find this game blows a lot of the "main-stream" games out of the water with replayability and difficulty.

I've started playing pretty recently, like in a week, but I know by now I won't stop embracing this game soon.  :love_heart:  I've seen many 'Lets Plays' on youtube long ago and recently something just came to my mind 'Hey, I remember a game I may like to play..." and it started  :lemo:  I know by now I will like to learn how to make mods, as i study informatics it will be pretty useful to learn more out of program, and I've got a feeling that it is a pretty good idea. I have already made some mods idea in my head  :eagerness: So, should i say ho to you all  :grin:

I saw Sips play it back just after sanity was introduced. I enjoyed the game thoroughly and thought, "I could do better!" So, I picked it up before the beta's end. Still such a great game with lots of mysteries to keep me wanting more.

I saw the game often as a daily deal on Steam, especially when the Reign of Giants DLC was coming out, but I always passed it over.  I eventually decided to take a look at it when it went on sale again, and after hearing about it from a group of friends.  I initially got it for the sandbox aspect of it, because I am a huge sucker for sandbox games.  Boy, was I caught off guard by the heavy focus of survival.  Of course, there is no one to blame but myself for that.  Now it has become one of the most addictive games I have ever played, and I am not ashamed to say that.   :victorious:   Even if I am not so great at times, I still enjoy.  

Well I have talked too much so now I am going to shut up.   :???:

Archived