When and why did you start playing Don't Starve?

My Freshman year of college, I saw a classmate in front of me in an English Comp II class spend most of the class period playing it, (yes I'm pretty sure he got in trouble at some point for this habit) my first impressions weren't too positive as I wasn't a huge fan of the last few survival games I had played, but it went on sale on Steam one day and I figured, hey, it could be neat, the art style was interesting enough and I hadn't seen a survival game with a 2D top-down approach like it before, or even so much of an emphasis on the whole "survival" part with interesting concepts like sanity and a hunger bar that had really heavy bearing on your not-dying ability, I would try it out!

So I did, and at first I didn't really get into it because it was so slow-paced, and you lost so much time for how little you got done when you died. That was before I was able to appreciate how good it feels to get experienced enough to survive to late-game. Now I'm absolutely in love with Don't Starve, there is no game for my personal taste at the least that does survival or crafting better. Maybe not in terms of complexity or interactivity, but it's organized, challenging yet satisfying to work with, and generally feels good to use.

Pretty sure I started playing sometime after the Insanity! update but I'm not sure exactly when. Here's the first picture I ever took, best tell of what update is the fact that the Ring Thing is surrounded by normal flowers rather than evil ones:

r6jAyiJ.jpg

When I had taken a couple of months break from the game, my girlfriend ended up getting really hardcore into it, so for her birthday last year I made her a Wilson statue out of Sculpey. It was pretty chunky, but a labor of love nonetheless XD You can check out the old topic I made for it, be warned though it's a pretty ugly sight :p Here it is: Wilson Sculpey Statue.

That was actually my very first post to the forums, and I didn't come back here until I started my video series, A Don't Starve A Day, and since then I've been a lot more active, both in the game and on the forums, which I'm quite glad about. I think once I finish up with Woodie's playthrough though I'm going to stop the video series and just stream the game, as that will be a lot easier to set up, and with DST, it'll work out better if I can just casually stream the game with some friends.

So there's my life story I guess. Sorry I kind of just splurged every detail of my experience with this game I could remember!

I was browsing on Twitch when this mysterious game showed up, It was the art on the thumbnail that caught my attention.

I was like: "uhh that's some nice drawings!"  And instantly fell in love once I started watching.The art in this game is very, very appealing and unique, well at least for me. :D

It was around November 2012 little before the "The Birds and the Bees & Dogs That Want to Kill You.". Now that I think back, it has been a long journey and the game as changed a LOT as some of you know.

"Must..stuff... Science Machine... with Nuggets!!!"

And yes, I'm a lurker master! But that's because we have such nice and comfy community, that I don't even need to write much!

Hello! Quasi-lurker here.

I got hooked watching MikeB playing the beta on youtube last year, but I wanted to wait for the full release and I didn't want too many spoilers so I stopped watching any let's plays. Then I kinda forgot about it untill January of this year. I picked it up during a Steam sale and I'm pretty sure it's the best $5 I've ever spent!

Spoiled rotten, I had seen a few Lets Plays back when you fed your science machine items for crafting points (?), then a few months later found a Lets Play series by Yogscast Sips. Loved watching both the game and sips, bought the game and have considered sips the best yogscaster ever since.

Spoiled rotten, I had seen a few Lets Plays back when you fed your science machine items for crafting points (?), then a few months later found a Lets Play series by Yogscast Sips. Loved watching both the game and sips, bought the game and have considered sips the best yogscaster ever since.

Great, another Gnome grinder if you know what i mean :p 

I started playing when I saw (but missed) a sale on GoG and decided to buy it for full price on Steam because I really loved the art style. Little did I know what I was in for. It was hard but it was brilliantly fun. Told everyone I knew and got a good 5+ friends of mine to try it and got hooked too.

Like a lot of people I saw Sips playing it and I fell i love. Deciding not to spoil myself I stopped watching the LP (Which was hard) untill I finished my first couple of playthroughs.  By the time he started up with Willow I knew quite a lot. I'm hoping Sips and some buds of his play DST together to get it out better.

I started playing in june 2014 because it was on sale on steam! I had heard about the game before and ad soon as I saw it, I bought it :D And my life has not being the same since then! This is such an awesome game! If only I had heard of it earlier I could have enjoyed every single update that came out!

I love survival games so when I came upon Don't Starve on steam, it was pretty much love at first sight. But my wallet didn't accommodate that, so I got it quite late and it's been a beautiful, healthy relationship full of death, not starving to death and first-time deerclopse encounters. Yep, best purchase ever made. 

When: Early Alpha

Why: It was in torrents under category "works on terribad laptops". Had no money at the time and was leading a rather nomadic life. I was immediately impressed by the game's dark theme (it was way darker at the time, and way more mysterious), and found that the torrent had a disclaimer that seemed to be written by Klei staff saying "We understand what it's like to be on low-income or a student and to not have the money to willy-nilly purchase every new thing in the paper, so here's a safe torrent for anyone who's curious or interested in Don't Starve. We hope that, in time, those who enjoy our game will consider it a good investment--so, we trust this torrent in much the same regard. We also need the same basic wages to meet the standards for living, much like yourselves, so please support us if you think our product is worthy - we need to eat. Now, please, enjoy!". Way impressed by this. I bought it as soon as I had the money to.

Archived