When and why did you start playing Don't Starve?

I was playing FTL, and having problems, so I started watching this guy from Canada on Youtube named Vanguard of Valor(VoV.)

After using his tips and becoming a very good FTL player, I checked his other games. I saw this weird game name and wondered,

"Why would somebody play a game named 'Don't Starve'? Who wants to Starve anyway?" After seeing a few episodes, it hooked me. i had to try it out for myself. So on July 2nd 2013, I purchased it from Klei's Widget site.

If I ever thought FTL was complicated to figure out, I could have completely ignored any tutorial instructions which DS did from day one, literally. It made other roguelikes look almost easy by comparison. And why the hell was there this door in the middle of the wilderness....

You all know the rest about me since I joined the forums back then. 

I started about a year ago. Maybe more because I watched it on famous' polish youtuber channel (MagdalenaMariaMonika). She was saying a good things about it so I decided to buy it. And after a half year I have joined THIS community.

I started playing some days before the spoiled rotten update. A friend of mine mentioned it and convinced me to buy his spare copy. A single in-game day was enough for me to love the game (i remember i didn't make a fire in the first night, charlie scared the **** out of me).

I bought the game some time in between the Long Live the Queen update and the Birds, Bees, and Dogs that Want to Kill You update. Good times. But, then again, those were also dark times for me to be on the forums. When I was Prussia. *shivers*

This year, after the DLC came out. I was intrigued when it was first on Steam but wasn't really sure it was for me. I bought the GOG version when it was on sale in November last year (and the DLC much later) but left it on my shelf for a long time before I decided to try playing something different.

I saw a Yogscast video about it, and thought, "Hey, that's kinda cool!"

I didn't buy it.

Then there was this big portion of time where absolutely nothing happened.

And then I chanced upon it again, and bought it.

I knew the game since the first versions (maybe since "The Birds and the Bees and Dogs That Want to kill you" update [which, by the way, has one of the best update names]) because I watched an italian youtuber doing playthrough of it.

the game was free with a Playstation Plus account on PS4, which we have, in January this year.  We downloaded it, but didn't play it, but my little brother would come over occasionally and play it cuz he had it on Steam and liked it.  I loved watching him play, but I never did myself until about a two months ago, when he had stayed up all night playing games the night before and I wanted him to play more so I could watch, but he was too tired.  So he handed me the controller and made me play. AND THEN I NEVER STOPPED. EVER.

It was Spring of 2013 sometime... I remember the Caves being introduced as a work-in-progress, and Wes originally being unlocked through XP, but I didn't play very often then. I believe I started playing regularly in early summer of 2013 though, perhaps June?

Archived