The Year of the Dragonfly Event is Now Available!

6 minutes ago, finn from human said:

I can't see this at all:
- Year of the Varg: a torch in the varg shrine lasts a short time so that you coordinate with a friend to put one in mid-hunt to get a clay varg. in solo play, you have to place a whole new varg shrine in front of you in the middle of a hunt, which is clearly clunkier.
- Year of the Pig King: 4 pigs vs 1 player does not read as the intention at all, it's frustrating and unrewarding to try to get anything better than a consolation prize out of that. with a few extra players to help you, the pigs hardly stand a chance.
- Year of the Carrat: players train their respective carrats and put them in a race against each other. if you're alone, you train your one carrat and then get a group of auto-balanced shadow carrats. there's no real competition aspect when alone.
- Year of the Beefalo: you can enter your respective beefalo into a competition each other, or pit a single beefalo against a bunch of cpu beefalo where you will always win against those cpu beefalo by simply not customizing your beefalo at all.
- Year of the Catcoon: every time i've played a world with year of the catcoon enabled it's always been really fun seeing everyone grab a kitty or two during exploration. alone is just like, you checking off a checklist of kitcoons and then putting them beside a home you'll never touch again
- Year of the Bunnyman: i wasn't playing at this point
they are simply designed for multiplayer but accommodate singleplayer. you wouldn't argue that mario party was designed for singleplayer but with features to accommodate multiple players joining!

I think you misunderstood, I said it was multiplayer focused. Only that they can be done solo. Also there are a lot of ways to do the ones you mentioned easily solo, for example the pigs could be tricked into chasing walled off coins.

I think what you're not understanding from the point I'm trying to make is that unlike those you described boating is very clunky solo. There isn't much you can do to remedy that 

Please add some stuff in the ocean to actually explore. All these boat stuff and I only just find the lunar island and build a bridge out of boats to visit these like 5 times total.

• Like 9

Don't want to be that kind of person that is always negative about all updates, but a Dragon new year not being about Dragonfly just feels wrong. And I'm sure you guys know that a lot of players have strong feelings towards sailing. We also did not receive any news about Wigfrid and Willows rework animation decision, despite you guys saying you were going to talk about it on this year's roadmap. Again, sorry for all of this negativity and I don't mean to be rude at all, I just care a lot about the game.

• Like 17

Any chance we're still open to have some minor touch ups to Wig's and Willow's tree following this?
I was partially hoping to see them get their skins with this update, with Dragons being fiery and all.

• Like 17

34 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I'm guessing they took inspiration from dragon boat racing which is a separate event in China from the new year celebration.

Apart from the coincidence of both of them being dragon themed this year, they have very little to do with eachother.

That's the problem, dragon boats are completely unrelated to Chinese New Year. First the moon cakes, now this... Honestly this is just ridiculous. Imagine if there's an update to winters feast with the theme of Easter Eggs, is that appropriate?

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • GL Happy 1

Just now, -Variant said:

Any chance we're still open to have some minor touch ups to Wig's and Willow's tree following this?
I was partially hoping to see them get their skins with this update, with Dragons being fiery and all.

Yeah Wig with a scandanavian dragon skin and willow with a (2nd) dragonfly skin would be cool.

• Like 4
  • Health 1

IMO i am kinda disappointed. I don't really want to hate or anything but there is nothing about dragon fly in "The year of the dragon fly". I feel like people set their expectations WAY too high as well but still, it's a bit disappointing.

• Like 10

I really like the designs for the boat racing stuff! Dragonfly really lends itself well to those reds and yellows. And this batch of skins are a definite improvement over the last masquerade set. Nice work!

3 minutes ago, Hi. said:

IMO i am kinda disappointed. I don't really want to hate or anything but there is nothing about dragon fly in "The year of the dragon fly". I feel like people set their expectations WAY too high as well but still, it's a bit disappointing.

I mean.. did they really though?

How hard would it have been for Klei to reskin the color of a Tallbird egg into a Dragons Egg, make that an Item you can purchase from the Dragonfly Shrine.. Then you can take said Dragon Egg & give it to Dragonfly to do simple things such as-

She can become passive to the player unless she’s attacked, allowing even casual noobs to travel through her biome without getting smacked to their deaths.

She can blow fire on the Egg and hatch it into a Broodling pet den critter for you.

Both of which would’ve felt far more like an event based on Dragonfly then well… uh, Boat Racing?

I personally wouldn’t have minded an optional behavior change so Dragonfly could be toggled as a Seasonal Boss like she was in Solo DS…

Idk- Anything seems better than boat racing.

• Like 11

This really feels like the lamest Chinese New Year event we got and it's supposed to be based off of one of the most coolest mythological creatures to exist, a freakin' dragon! How could you do this Klei nothing special for the actual dragons in the game just boat stuff? Seriously :wilsondisappointed:???

• Like 10
  • Big Ups 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

I get the sense that there's a degree of integrity, i.e klei adding what they wanna add, in terms of what Klei does for YOT events, given they don't seem interested in catering to player preference. I can honestly kind of respect that, but I hope that the other updates this year will cater to players more to compensate.

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

• Developer

There is a bug that if you set off the start race timer and leave the circle before the race starts, it won't register your boat again. Fix is in the works.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Yeah im grateful for these events. Still when you're expecting a sick chinese dragon you're bound to get underwhelmed. 

Is your fault for expecting more than a minigame

• Like 2
  • Sanity 2
  • Potato Cup 1