The Year of the Dragonfly Event is Now Available!

I know this sound “ungrateful” but still, someone has to say it

this is the worst event of DST

boat in DST still has a lot of problem, it isn’t fun to use

turn it into an event without any change (other than being a smaller, reskin boat) doesn’t do anything

you could die in this “fun” event, the reward is lackluster anyway

and why the year of “the dragonfly” has nothing to do with the actual dragonfly?

if you guy doesn’t have the time due to short deadline, you guy can just reskin the lucky beast, give it some buff like dragonfly not gonna attack us while wearing that

I was hoping for the return of the Dragoon from SW, knowing Klei gonna choose the Dragonfly anyway

but still, this event is just…

Edited by MikoFanboy
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Sad Dupe 3

The Year of the Animal event hasn't been more than just the minigame or a setpiece, the only exception being the Beefalo Bell and Grooming Station, which were only an item and a custom structure, so I don't see why much was expected, specially since it's the first update that comes after the holiday break

It's an optional event for the players that are willing to spend some time on it if they want

• Like 3
  • Potato Cup 1

You'd think yet another boating addition would come with some qol or worldgen adjustments to make boating from one side of the world to the other not feel like a lobotomy but I guess it didn't!

7 hours ago, Wilson-brb said:

Oh man the splash is amazing of wilson , but the ingame sprite...

Yeahhh there's so many skins where it feels they put three times as much effort into the portrait art than the skin itself, I love myself yet another mid Wilson skin!

• Like 1

Honestly a little silly that there's nothing to do with dragonfly herself and being the opposite of all it being boats of all things to play as a minigame. But hey, boat minigame I suppose isn't a bad idea, but still intergrating dragonfly for this would have been nicer somehow.

• Like 5

Can we please keep the boat craft after the event ends? I like sea fishing a lot, and this boat kit seems like a nice addition for sea in general, its a cheaper boat with the drawback of being smaller. And the boat skins look AMAZIN'

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 1

11 minutes ago, kroban said:

Can we please keep the boat craft after the event ends? I like sea fishing a lot, and this boat kit seems like a nice addition for sea in general, its a cheaper boat with the drawback of being smaller. And the boat skins look AMAZIN'

smaller size is an advantage because of being able to go through smaller gaps between obstacles

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kroban said:

You can turn back on all previous year of events after they end in world Gen settings.

I love to play worlds set to 24/7 hallowed nights and winters feast just to do the fun holiday tree decorating stuff.

• Like 1

Late at the proverbial party, but what's the connection between this event (of boat racing - which might be cool for whomever fancies it, and am sure there are a few who do so) and... Dragonfly?

DF isn't a water dragon, so lore's "out the window".

DF doesn't take any role in the mini-games or whatsoever aside the mini-boats and decorations having a vaguely DF aesthetic.

Is DF in name only. Represents probably the most uninspired "Year of..." actual-content of them all. Won't even address the fact boating in DST is very unpopular bulk player-base-wise and even with advanced players (most of them scout lunar archipelago via Were-goose, then build a boat-bridge/docks-bridge to it and call it a day), since ocean has so little to offer in recurrent manner, even accounting the 2 bosses endemic to it (excluding CK that's the most lackluster boss of them all from all POVs). Make seas overall attractive and then we might have a wage to it. Atm ocean is mostly a barren mass of turd-shaped rocks and dull looking water (without any seasonal/weather effects to it.. whatsoever), period.

Nice skins though.

Hope this event won't be the staple for what we might expect from the 4 major planned updates. "Subverting the expectations" is synonymous with disappointment, I really don't get why firms at large don't realize this: gives fans what they want, logical standpoint much included, not what you believe they won't expect/"see it coming" and then not realize that brings in return despondency almost-always (with very "unicorn"-level chance exceptions).

Edited by MondayNight
  • Big Ups 2

3 hours ago, qqqq331792873 said:

No one will go boating on New Year's Day, please know the custom before doing activities

That is not the problem of the event, the Problem is that boating is dangerous and right now pretty boring and that the event has nothing to do with the Dragonfly.

• Like 7

You could have at least given dfly herself even the smallest changes. Maybe a small boss fight rework like the guardian got or even just making her weaker in winter and stronger in summer or something. This is just year of the boat.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mert_TR said:

You could have at least given dfly herself even the smallest changes. Maybe a small boss fight rework like the guardian got or even just making her weaker in winter and stronger in summer or something. This is just year of the boat.

Evet

• Haha 1
  • Sanity 1

KLei. KLei!

So, lemme grab your attention a bit, KLei. I drunk a ton so now I naturally got ideas on how to salvage this sinking dragon of the year event.

Lemme pour one more up for the bumpy road ahead and here's the bulb over the top of my head, spilled down in ignominious Bacchic glory:

Know your shadow Prime Mate on boat now? Yeah, make it "walk the plank". Have... wait for it.. Dragon fly over (see what I did there.. no, don't slap me, just a low-hanging fruit pun! HIC!) from the high heavens, from its desert, and land on tiny boat. It does a smile or the like, silly stuff, and salutes akin a sailor. Burps some flames and off the race starts.

But isn't just that simple, mind you, solely peddle for finish! Dragon actively tries to catch your boat (the "fat man running on treadmill with motivation bear behind" classic joke), or random/closest boat to it. And slaps the captain player, maybe not dealing her regular damage, but 1/2, 1/4. And then smacks your mast too. Laughs and sails toward finish, paddling with her ridiculous large hands in the distance. Easy comedy right there!

If dragon wins, does a funny spin spitting fire, maybe drops a Lavae merely for the lols and that's it (flies away). If you win, or for the player winning 1st place, DF gives some special token you can use in her fight (aside those Lucky Nuggets), and modifies fight a bit on the easy lane I reckon.

C'mon KLei, is not too late! Consoles have yet to receive this Bacchanalia (?! ..and Cheers! Am out! To get my last bottle of booze.)

PS: some people mentioned Scaled Chest be expanded in slot size with the occasion of "Year of the ... Boat" event - that would be great! Perhaps the token exemplified above, from winning the race, could be used to expand Scaled Chest? At least something DF related, directly, eh.

Edited by MondayNight
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Just-guy said:

The Year of the Animal event hasn't been more than just the minigame or a setpiece, the only exception being the Beefalo Bell and Grooming Station, which were only an item and a custom structure, so I don't see why much was expected, specially since it's the first update that comes after the holiday break

It's an optional event for the players that are willing to spend some time on it if they want

I think what people are upset about is this doesn’t include the dragonfly. Each year the themes have included their respective in game creatures. Carrats, Bunnymen, Pigmen, Buffalo. This year it really has nothing to do with the dragonfly despite it being called as much. I don’t think anyone cares that it’s a small mini game.

I’m not going to rage about it, but it was an odd decision when doing something with the dragonfly seemed fairly obvious.

Edited by X-lem
Grammer
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, kroban said:

I want the option for a tiny boat that is not the grass raft.

8 minutes ago, X-lem said:

I think what people are upset about is this doesn’t include the dragonfly. Each year the themes have included their respective in game creatures. Carrats, Bunnymen, Pigmen, Buffalo. This year it really has nothing to do with the dragonfly despite it being called as much. I don’t think anyone cares that it’s a small mini game.

Im not going to rage about it, but it is an odd decision when doing something with the dragonfly seems fairly obvious.

Dragonfly is really iconic to dst too.