The Year of the Dragonfly Event is Now Available!

12 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Boating itself is a very multiplayer focuses activity while before all the other year of events where also solo friendly (from what I remember).

most every lunar new year event has been multiplayer-focused but with a small accommodation for solo players, and this is the same. it's like the CPU carrats

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, _zwb said:

No dragonfly content? Rather disappointing.

And dragon boats... This is just culturally inaccurate, they're for another festival:-?

I'm guessing they took inspiration from dragon boat racing which is a separate event in China from the new year celebration.

Apart from the coincidence of both of them being dragon themed this year, they have very little to do with eachother.

• Like 6
  • Wavey 1

7 minutes ago, finn from human said:

most every lunar new year event has been multiplayer-focused but with a small accommodation for solo players, and this is the same. it's like the CPU carrats

Not exactly, yes multiplayer is a focus but it's more than just accommodated for solo. Carrats racing required one to do every interaction with the carat by oneself. 

I think it's the reverse, the developers made it so one can do the events solo but it accommodates multiple people joining. 

Boating itself is inherently a lot of micromanaging solo, this is far different from past events. 

• Big Ups 2

After both the Year of the Beefalo and Year of the Catcoon gave their respective creatures major updates, it feels pretty dissapointing that the Dragonfly didn't get any love in it's own event.  Hell, she's really not relevant to the event at all. Only showing up as a decal on top of the boat race tower and a broodling or two spawning to watch you race.

• Like 26

I do feel like the idea of boat racing feels uninspired. Like, just reading the patch notes I immediatelly thought "this is just year of the carrat but on the ocean with you". Not to mention that it will most likely backfire, as who will enjoy going out of their way just to boat.

And while it is funny to see more people share my idea od YotX events being the worst of the seasonal ones, I do want to end this on a semi-positive note

Klei, sometimes a simple approach is better. I, for one, would've enjoyed an event where dragonfly broodlings spawn on the mainland and you can feed them ash and coal for pouches

• Like 9
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1

I managed to get this to work once and it seemed like a neat addition, albeit one that was over too soon and far too easy. It also doesn't pay out as well as some of the more recent Year of the Whatever events. I tried to do a race again and Warly kept saying I drifted too far from the starting point even though my boat was touching the start tower, so I don't know what that's about. 

The new buoys are neat, though, throwing one between yourself and an approaching pirate raid seems like it could buy you enough time to escape. 

• Wavey 1

1 minute ago, Theukon-dos said:

After both the Year of the Beefalo and Year of the Catcoon gave their respective creatures major updates, it feels pretty dissapointing that the Dragonfly didn't get any love in it's own event.  Hell, she's really not relevant to the event at all. Only showing up as a decal on top of the boat race tower and a broodling or two spawning to watch you race.

Year of the cartoon didn’t even give critter skins despite effectively making 8 …

• Shopcat 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

What a giant bummer. I don't even understand people who are all positive for something relegated to boats of all sorts. One of the most awful things in Dst and all the Ds franchise. 

Atleast the carrat one had something cool and interesting to go with and went to be introduced to the game. 2 chinese years failed, goddam.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DegenerateFurry said:

. I tried to do a race again and Warly kept saying I drifted too far from the starting point even though my boat was touching the start tower, so I don't know what that's about. 

At least you got it to work once...

2 minutes ago, arubaro said:

So much negativity

Boat racing was a cool idea i wanted to be added

Thanks klei

I mean- previous year of events have added new content that stays in the game even After the Year Of event ends..

Beefalo added the bell, dress up station, and animations to gather without dismounting your smelly Furcow.

Catcoon added an ability for destroyed Catcoon nests to renew after so many days, and for players to be able to rummage through their stumps to see what’s been stashed inside.

This event however…. Just feels off- 

And I have this terrible gut feeling that Klei has no plans to fill out the ocean with actual fun mobs, biomes, resources etc to make it feel less empty- So instead they came up with a Boat racing Mini-Game.

I would love to be proven wrong…. But As developers, surely they know that if they’re going to make an entire game update based on racing a boat…. (To me the single most boring part of the entire game that I literally fall asleep on traveling from point of interest through empty as hell water… to another point of interest…) that if their going to do an Entire game update based solely on this experience, that it would’ve been an Excellent time to add new and actually interesting things to see out on the ocean.

Even small stuff like new animations of fish jumping up out the water, or Idk… making it so frogs can swim… anything to make boating less boring…

And no- Races aren’t the answer, if anything- These races are just going to further heavily highlight just exactly how boring & uninteresting boating & ocean content as a whole is in DST.

And that’s painful for ME to say… because I actually really really enjoyed the Shipwrecked DLC from solo DS.

My one silver lining in this update: Klei has people out on boats in the ocean now…. So now it’s time to make that part of the game actually interesting.

• Like 12
  • Big Ups 1

Just now, HowlVoid said:

I think it's the reverse, the developers made it so one can do the events solo but it accommodates multiple people joining.

I can't see this at all:
- Year of the Varg: a torch in the varg shrine lasts a short time so that you coordinate with a friend to put one in mid-hunt to get a clay varg. in solo play, you have to place a whole new varg shrine in front of you in the middle of a hunt, which is clearly clunkier.
- Year of the Pig King: 4 pigs vs 1 player does not read as the intention at all, it's frustrating and unrewarding to try to get anything better than a consolation prize out of that. with a few extra players to help you, the pigs hardly stand a chance.
- Year of the Carrat: players train their respective carrats and put them in a race against each other. if you're alone, you train your one carrat and then get a group of auto-balanced shadow carrats. there's no real competition aspect when alone.
- Year of the Beefalo: you can enter your respective beefalo into a competition each other, or pit a single beefalo against a bunch of cpu beefalo where you will always win against those cpu beefalo by simply not customizing your beefalo at all.
- Year of the Catcoon: every time i've played a world with year of the catcoon enabled it's always been really fun seeing everyone grab a kitty or two during exploration. alone is just like, you checking off a checklist of kitcoons and then putting them beside a home you'll never touch again
- Year of the Bunnyman: i wasn't playing at this point
they are simply designed for multiplayer but accommodate singleplayer. you wouldn't argue that mario party was designed for singleplayer but with features to accommodate multiple players joining!

• Like 7

An odd thing I've noticed, several files got rewritten but not changed in terms of functionality(e.g. dragonfly.lua), those files are written in a style commonly seen in the single player files. Is this a programming style change, or a member change?

• Like 2
  • Ninja 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1

32 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

Klei! Can we get more facial expressions for the Masquarade Collection Please!

Just like the Formal collection(Guest of honor), It would look so much cooler!

Ekrangrnts2024-02-08233327.png.5cd08a05f56e9b4a582c97511b9b1b33.pngEkrangrnts2024-02-08233349.png.08db0486086e8cdbc1ae71ba201ca649.png

Ekrangrnts2024-02-08233813.png.424f82d2a26c1b84741c75f0fd76ce3b.pngEkrangrnts2024-02-08233809.png.51c8e6e31c014f2658be352b6ceda24d.png

Oh man the splash is amazing of wilson , but the ingame sprite...

• Like 8
  • Big Ups 1