The Year of the Dragonfly Event is Now Available!

15 hours ago, arubaro said:

Walking on water wont make better finding those point of interest. Most likely the opposite since you will WASD to then and come back. Atleast with dst boats, the people that enjoy them, have fun during the travel because the micromanagement 

I really wish they keep adding content to have more excuses to navigate and even to use magnets to use more (right now i only use cargo boats to carry treasures and nuts)

Agree, the boat is very manageable after the QoL update. The reason that keeps people from using it is not because of the mechanics, but not having enough reasons to spend time doing so. 

Now that we are in the planar era, maybe Klei can add islands that are only available AFTER rifts are opened. Then Klei doesn’t have to worry about the power level of the new stuff these islands provide and actually give us meaningful reasons to keep coming back these islands. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, readkey said:

Agree, the boat is very manageable after the QoL update. The reason that keeps people from using it is not because of the mechanics, but not having enough reasons to spend time doing so. 

Now that we are in the planar era, maybe Klei can add islands that are only available AFTER rifts are opened. Then Klei doesn’t have to worry about the power level of the new stuff these islands provide and actually give us meaningful reasons to keep coming back these islands. 

I don’t think it’s such a great idea to make boating content, of all things locked behind super late game progress. The Shipwrecked DLC did not do this.. because the entire point of “boating” in Shipwrecked was to sail to & explore new biomes.

These need to be “Early Game” and, they need to be like they were in Shipwrecked- Rewarding the player with Resources they can use to craft better weapons and armors (like the cutlass & corking bats)

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 3

people dont like the dst boats not because of lack of ocean stuff....but because the boats are kinda clunky to control in the first place...and slow....makin boat race for something that controls slow and clunky realy does feel like anti design.....even more so because of how easy it is to destroy your boat in the race because of trying to go fast wich again makes boats break faster aswell....combined that with monkeys in general having no care about boat damage.....yea no...just no its realy not a good thing

• Like 7

I would say that I am so confused, Is like this update was not what I expected.... hmmmm is okay, no pain on that (not making a pesimism public video on that)

.... Is more like lunar new year theme is important deal in China and as far I understand a big adquisition was made by Tencent a Chinese company, and okay they could work independently, but ... but I feel the community is angry,( ....even though many buying the skins).

People is angry, because there was no new skilltree, no new dragonfly related interactions,... but as a business profit neither skins related to the dragon year, dragon year is not very often. Is like loosing a big opportunity for profit, so no big money revenue and just leaving community angry (because there was not further announcements neither).

Really, I am still a noob exploring the game, but going out of christmas event feels like there no event at all!!, public servers or just randoms servers are not building even the temple, no boat racing,....in christmas people at least build a christmas tree.

• Like 4

I’m kinda shocked no one has asked this question yet, but why is the Dragon Boat stuff bright Red, instead Dragonfly’s trademark Green colors?

I feel like a simple change to this (or alternate boat color choice) would’ve made people far more accepting of calling this the “Dragonfly” Event.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m kinda shocked no one has asked this question yet, but why is the Dragon Boat stuff bright Red, instead Dragonfly’s trademark Green colors?

I feel like a simple change to this (or alternate boat color choice) would’ve made people far more accepting of calling this the “Dragonfly” Event.

Because Red is better than green :D Generally when I see the lunar new year items the trademark colors are red and gold.

also:

I would not have accepted this regardless of color. "Event of the Boat Reskins" is not the anticipated Year of the Dragonfly regardless of what color.

Its still just putting lipstick on a pig.

Edited by JadedMeiji
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JadedMeiji said:

Because Red is better than green :D Generally when I see the lunar new year items the trademark colors are red and gold.

also:

I would not have accepted this regardless of color. "Event of the Boat Reskins" is not the anticipated Year of the Dragonfly regardless of what color.

Its still just putting lipstick on a pig.

Screenshot_20240215_121332_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 2

my disappointment is immeasurable.

For 5 years I've been waiting, hoping and guessing what amazing and cool stuff you are going to come up with on the most significant year of them all. The Dragonfly year.

Its boats. Its f@#$% boats. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Shopcat 1

22 hours ago, KarolSenise said:

Is this event ever coming to nintendo switch?

It’s not that great of a content update to be completely honest with you, so you’re not missing out on much. 

The only POSITIVE things I can manage to say about the event is that having a 1 slot boat that’s already equipped with a mast, anchor and steering wheel is alright.. and the character skins are neat.

But the negative things I have to say about the event far outweigh the positive.

Negatives are: To get the above mentioned boat it costs 16 lucky gold nuggets.

The event itself is the ONLY year of event that is extremely hazardous to the players health, because the dumb shadow ape rams into your boat forcing leaks, and if you can’t get boat patches to repair your boats with (which cost gold nuggets you get from participating in the boat race) your likely to sink.

Drowning on, or bailing off the deck of you boat will have you tossed back on shore, but with a blacked out portion of your health core and your character now being fully wetness.

The only rewards you get from this boat event is a dragonfly statue, and the above mentioned Boat & Boat structures.

You’re literally better off going to settings and toggling on year of the Catcoon so you can passively get lucky gold nuggets when a random cat hacks up a hairball near you.

There is no new curio cabinet mini-game.

This event is basically just Carrat racing repackaged and reskinned for Ocean racing.

But there’s a HUGE difference here:

Year of the Carrat actually had some heart and soul put into it, you had tons of animations for a critter who actually felt like a pet, you could even change the colors of your Carrat by feeding it seeds, you could build training structures to raise its performance, AND they even impacted gameplay outside of the racing by having random Carrats hide in Beefalo fur.

This Boating event is crap, literally the single worst update Klei has ever put out for DST, they do an ENTIRE event based on the most boring part of playing the game- but yet the same heart and love they poured into year of the Carrat is nowhere to be found…

Overlooking the fact the event has NOTHING to do with Dragonfly, let’s highlight what Klei actually wanted to take center stage here: A Boat Racing Event.

Now let me point out how/where this doesn’t meet Year of the Carrat Standards.

Theres a single boat, Klei didn’t even bother to give us dyes to change the colors of the sail masts so they all look the same….

The event was intended to put us in water for cute fun races, but yet… nothing actually happens out here.

You’d think they could’ve had lucky Koi fish or something splash up out the water every so often but nope…

All I can say at this point is that the other updates planned for this year need to make up for this. :( 

• Hunger 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

The event itself is the ONLY year of event that is extremely hazardous to the players health

didn't the year of the varg have clay vargs and hounds that attacked you?

• Like 1

Disappointing at best, I've played his game for 2 years (started on switch...) and this is the worst I've seen... Hope next one will actually be good... Looks like it so far

• Like 1