What are your next year's content expectations?

I got a feeling 2024 is gonna be the big year for DST, like I mean even the Klei dev teams have vaguely hinted around at something big coming..

(such as saying they hired on certain new developers to help work on super secretive projects that they’ve always wanted to do with DST.)

I’m going to take a shot in the dark here and say we will get some old biomes reworked with a 2024 facelift, hopefully some new content to help fill out the mostly empty ocean, I wouldn’t even be surprised if Klei wasn’t working on porting SW/Ham over into DST or adding Gorge/Forge as permanent game mode options.

Whatever the case may be- I’m looking forward to some big things for 2024/2025.

Heres to hoping anyways.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I got a feeling 2024 is gonna be the big year for DST, like I mean even the Klei dev teams have vaguely hinted around at something big coming..

(such as saying they hired on certain new developers to help work on super secretive projects that they’ve always wanted to do with DST.)

I’m going to take a shot in the dark here and say we will get some old biomes reworked with a 2024 facelift, hopefully some new content to help fill out the mostly empty ocean, I wouldn’t even be surprised if Klei wasn’t working on porting SW/Ham over into DST or adding Gorge/Forge as permanent game mode options.

Whatever the case may be- I’m looking forward to some big things for 2024/2025.

Heres to hoping anyways.

Unlikely to be forge cause they're already making a game similar to that sorta. Would be fun if they made a whole game out of gorge too, but maybe they'll be introducing some new tech into DST for something we seen before or entirely new. The past two years been very content light imo, definitely I'd see something big coming tho.

2 hours ago, skile said:

Walter skill tree, some nice QoL updates hopefully and of course some more rift content. This end game stuff is beginning to look more interesting, so I'm curious to see where it goes. 

Unsure what they gotta do QoL about now since everything is mostly good at the moment. New ways to manipulate turf, refueable magic, environmental set pieces and invasive species...  I'm particularly interested in what'll be Max's and Winona's skilltrees right now, since Winaynay there is kinda shoved into the background with Wilson.

With the amount of turf updates we’ve gotten recently (docks, rift turf, the iceberg) I think expanding on some of the biomes using this new tech is potentially in the future.

Personally I want a cooking update. It’s fine right now, but it is still one of the more convoluted mechanics for new players to figure out.

49 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Unsure what they gotta do QoL about now since everything is mostly good at the moment. New ways to manipulate turf, refueable magic, environmental set pieces and invasive species...  I'm particularly interested in what'll be Max's and Winona's skilltrees right now, since Winaynay there is kinda shoved into the background with Wilson.

I used the term "QoL" pretty broadly tbh. Basically I meant stuff like improvements to the already existing content, both old and recent (the fix to the infamous Mon Quay and pirate raids, planar/rift stuff adjustments, hopefully some world gen changes etc) 

Also, I'm really interested in seeing Winona's skill tree as well. Winona's and Walter's potential skill trees are the ones I'm most excited for, due to many different reasons. I had some worries about it before, but most of them went away after seeing Willow's and Wigfrid's skill trees, so now I just wanna wait and see how it goes. 

I have been overall really happy with this year's worth of updates, truth be told. Five new boss fights plus the ink blight trio, a bunch of new armour and gear, as well as new life breathed into characters like Woodie and Willow. I also appreciate the new weather effects, even if I think they could be a little more developed. I think compared to previous years the amount of pure "meaty" content has gone up substantially, and it's geniunely great to have so many new items in my inventory that were added this year. Bearger bin, brightshade helm and smasher, Howlizter, umbralla.

While I definitely think there is room for improvement, I just wanna say that I really, REALLY appreciate the strides toward making the game a better experience. I do hope Klei finds the time to check on older content again though. Ocean content (Shameless plug), Brightshades, A lot of wigfrid's skill tree, moon quay and especially a lot of "legacy" items like Blowdarts or boomerangs could really use some changes, as they are clearly not just a case of a knee-jerk reaction.

More skill trees. I'd like to see Warly, Walter (mostly because he's a mess), Wendy, and Winona get them at the least.

What I'd really like to see is a caves overhaul, particularly to ruins generation so that it's more similar to original DS ruins gen (a mod's been made that does this very well, so it's possible). Having better ways to travel quickly in the caves or cross gaps would be nice, too. Maybe some kind of rope bridges? Also, more caves-exclusive mobs would be cool, and bunnymen need something to make them more interesting. 

9 hours ago, chirsg said:

HAMLET

I agree. Please add some Hamlet features. 

I also want the option to craft single player boats like in Shipwrecked. The current boats need about three poeple to operate smoothly, and I want to explore on my own. Having some of the boats from single player would make a bunch of cool options and playstyles available, in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, The Starver said:

The current boats need about three poeple to operate smoothly

you can use them on your own, just place the anchor nearby the steering wheel if you're using sails or just row to where you want to go to if you aren't 

22 minutes ago, The Starver said:

I agree. Please add some Hamlet features. 

I also want the option to craft single player boats like in Shipwrecked. The current boats need about three poeple to operate smoothly, and I want to explore on my own. Having some of the boats from single player would make a bunch of cool options and playstyles available, in my opinion. 

I'm not sure if you've interacted with the bootleg getaways yet, but it's seeming like it's making the ocean a lot more better to navigate around. Some of the treasure you pull up kind of can be worth your time.

It's getting there. 

I'm not the biggest proponent of character choice to make the game more playable, especially if you don't play the character, but Wolfgang is the best sailor in the game.

I'll give you this though, Playing island adventures reminds me of how much I've missed single player.

I wish they add enough rift content to make it better, revisiting stuff like moonstorm (more content), cracking warbis armor and moontations

Finally geometric placement in game and building priority revisited

Also, how much more years needs to pass so they remove the hostile tag from snurtle mounds?

On 12/26/2023 at 6:17 PM, Frosty_Mentos said:

Unsure what they gotta do QoL about now since everything is mostly good at the moment.

Buffing bad items (there is alot), fixing outdated mechanics, changes to existing mobs, revisiting moon quay, potential boss rework/bonus content that comes with it.

No expectations really. Not to be a pessimist but seeing where all this is going and how people are somehow happy with it, I just end up picking up the scraps I like about updates and modding out everything else. (Thank you so much disable skill trees mod.)

Oh, except of solution to moon hail. I'm curious what they have in mind for that.

21 minutes ago, BezKa said:

No expectations really. Not to be a pessimist but seeing where all this is going and how people are somehow happy with it, I just end up picking up the scraps I like about updates and modding out everything else. (Thank you so much disable skill trees mod.)

Oh, except of solution to moon hail. I'm curious what they have in mind for that.

Having to build something to counter our zoo animals/fruitfly specifically from taking 30 damage randomly from hail feels like a weird game design choice. It is barely impactful, but annoying to very specific players.

My expectations are pretty much non-existent, but I'll give what I hope for instead.

First of all, less focus on skill trees. I could not care less about them, and would much prefer characters to be fundamentally fixed instead of patched up with skills. I realize this won't happen though.

I'm assuming the rift arc isn't complete, so completing that is pretty much necessary imo before Klei moves on to anything else.

I hope old content gets revisited. Especially the ocean (go look at Masked Koopa's thread). Some of it just seems so... one dimensional. I want to see some of the barely used items get more recipes. Or more interesting mechanics with mobs.

A big thing (besides the ocean) that could use a revamp is the caves imo. Some of the biomes are just pointless. Green mushroom forests and bat caves have no uses. Plenty of the biomes have just one use. Red mushroom forests and stalagmite biomes are only there to get fossils from spilagmites, and the rocky plains is just for rock lobsters. Blue mushroom biomes are for finding the lunar grotto or speed running, and the slimy biome is for ye ol' grass and twigs, since bunny men are worthless. At least the light bulb plains got some attention with the addition of nightmare werepig, but I think all of these biomes deserve a revamp.

i just wish they'd update the caves, there's literally nothing there to do besides finding the ruins and archives and the tentapillar that leads to the atrium

like i kinda wish they'd add some of the hamlet bosses into the caves and maybe revisit some old concepts like the lava caves so there's something to do, besides having more bosses in the caves could let them make more shadow corrupted ones post rifts

Spoiler

also im begging for them to optimize the game somehow, the fact you need a mod for the game to load at a reasonable time is insane

You know what really gets on my nerves a lot? Reworks, re-reworks and now also skill trees have been making characters more powerful and combat focused- yet the games actual combat is staying roughly the same.

There are a few exceptions, which largely boils down to boss fights or super late game Post Rifts related content..

But outside of that Willow gets cool new fire powers and the game world itself doesn’t “Upgrade” with her..

If I knew anything at all about game coding I’d make Willow who is now completely immune to fire damage, get some appropriately new enemy mobs to deal with, such as fire resistant enemy mobs that can ignore her fire based mage powers.

The TL:DR is that the games cast of characters are outgrowing the dangers of the constant, and that needs to change soon- That ISNT tied to late game rift stuff, we need a entire Facelift of the games biomes creatures and gameplay right from the start- like you now can spawn with 15 powerful perk choices to “Deal With” them with.

Archived