What are your next year's content expectations?

I have 0 expectations for next year. I had high hopes for this year to be a year full of world content but instead I got half-assed skill trees for half of the updates and other half was a half-assed 'hard mode'. I got blueballed lol.

13 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Having to build something to counter our zoo animals/fruitfly specifically from taking 30 damage randomly from hail feels like a weird game design choice. It is barely impactful, but annoying to very specific players.

you can always turn off the rifts with settings, it's not like they have that much content to begin with.

5 minutes ago, Antynomity said:

:blue:

Tbh though i still think riff content is not the right direction. We still have an unfinished ocean where it is rare to encounter a basic mob, caves with all the attention put into one biome, and not so well, and the general world needs updating. Now instead of focusing on these key issues everyone wishes would be fixed, we are starting yet another batch of character updates after four years of them and adding more mega lategame stuff.

8 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Tbh though i still think riff content is not the right direction. We still have an unfinished ocean where it is rare to encounter a basic mob, caves with all the attention put into one biome, and not so well, and the general world needs updating. Now instead of focusing on these key issues everyone wishes would be fixed, we are starting yet another batch of character updates after four years of them and adding more mega lategame stuff.

don't worry by the end of this arc we'll have 3 big parts of the game that are lacklustre instead of 2

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You know what really gets on my nerves a lot? Reworks, re-reworks and now also skill trees have been making characters more powerful and combat focused- yet the games actual combat is staying roughly the same.

There are a few exceptions, which largely boils down to boss fights or super late game Post Rifts related content..

But outside of that Willow gets cool new fire powers and the game world itself doesn’t “Upgrade” with her..

If I knew anything at all about game coding I’d make Willow who is now completely immune to fire damage, get some appropriately new enemy mobs to deal with, such as fire resistant enemy mobs that can ignore her fire based mage powers.

The TL:DR is that the games cast of characters are outgrowing the dangers of the constant, and that needs to change soon- That ISNT tied to late game rift stuff, we need a entire Facelift of the games biomes creatures and gameplay right from the start- like you now can spawn with 15 powerful perk choices to “Deal With” them with.

There are already mobs and enemies with fire immunity...

Also most original combat mechanics are experience before """"super late game rift content"""" like deerclops freezing, fuelweaver sanity mechanics, Klaus spells, toad mushcaps...

You should try to experience dst content,  it has cool stuff

I expect a lot of forumers complaining on the forum about the game that can't seem to stop disappointing them, but they also can't seem to let go.

*Cue small violin noises*

Spoiler

The non-constructive pessimism is honestly just getting tiring at this point.

On the positive side I hope to see more beefalo tweaks/updates/items.

4 hours ago, arubaro said:

There are already mobs and enemies with fire immunity...

Also most original combat mechanics are experience before """"super late game rift content"""" like deerclops freezing, fuelweaver sanity mechanics, Klaus spells, toad mushcaps...

You should try to experience dst content,  it has cool stuff

Outside of FuelWeaver I’ve fought everyone of those.

But.. They’re Bosses, And Outside of Deerclops, Only Spawn when you very specifically take a tool to go intentionally spawn them.

Ive been very bored of DST, because the games weather hazards & inhabitants don’t actually challenge me, that’s changing of course with the introduction of Rifts which bring late game weather changes and new mobs into every day life throughout the constant..

But prior to these late game world changes, everything else is challenges YOU have to actively seek out rather than unlike rifts, which is Content that comes to find You.

The only actual exceptions might be the Ocean, which will very very rarely surprise you by spawning maybe a Gnarwail or a RockJaw shark.

But then even the Ocean leaves a lot to be desired by lacking in content, and perhaps what’s worst of all is that instead of adding new mobs that spawn up out the ocean depths to make ocean travel a unique experience every time you sail out on adventure, they instead even opt to add Bosses out here too.

If I wanted to play a game where all the challenges were mostly just boss fights- I’d go play DarkSouls or Monster Hunter.

And if I end up getting banned off these forums for trying to express what types of content I actually enjoyed about the franchise when that’s no longer the kind of experiences the franchise aims to offer it’s players- Then I’ll just be joining Scrimbles in their departure & wont have any regrets about fighting for what I once enjoyed.

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

rifts is Content that comes to find You

no, you need to change world settings on your own or kill the bosses that you normally need to kill to activate rifts

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

challenges YOU have to actively seek out

then do that?

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If I wanted to play a game where all the challenges were mostly just boss fights- I’d go play DarkSouls or Monster Hunter

DST bosses were previously mostly puzzles, e.g. BQ, dfly, FW (which is both, a puzzle and hard) etc., so they weren't similar to those games because in those you could kill a boss using only fists without taking damage, while in DST that simply isn't worth it because the fight will be too long and most bosses don't allow you to do that or it's absurdly hard because minions 

5 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I expect a lot of forumers complaining on the forum about the game that can't seem to stop disappointing them, but they also can't seem to let go.

*Cue small violin noises*

Reveal hidden contents

The non-constructive pessimism is honestly just getting tiring at this point.

On the positive side I hope to see more beefalo tweaks/updates/items.

It's not constructive because there's a ton that has been ignored either deliberately or because that answer is still part of the 'big picture'. In no other game have I ever seen the phenomenon of people being disappointed in an entire year of content as something to celebrate or mock as on here.

44 minutes ago, grm9 said:

no, you need to change world settings on your own or kill the bosses that you normally need to kill to activate rifts

then do that?

DST bosses were previously mostly puzzles, e.g. BQ, dfly, FW (which is both, a puzzle and hard) etc., so they weren't similar to those games because in those you could kill a boss using only fists without taking damage, while in DST that simply isn't worth it because the fight will be too long and most bosses don't allow you to do that or it's absurdly hard because minions 

I mean.. that each “Boss” has to be summoned in a very specific manor by the player- For Bee Queen you have to take a Hammer to her Hive, for Klaus you have to attempt to open the Loot Sack, for Crab King you have to socket enough gems into it to animate it to life, for Nightmare Werepig you have to break its pillars, For Eye of Terror you have to find and activate the Terrarium at Night, Etc, Etc,- All of these things require YOU to summon them when your good and darned ready to summon them..

It reminds me of that board game I used to play when I was a kid, Mouse Trap- You can build these huge elaborate set ups then summon your mouse to catch.

There are a few exceptions: Deerclops & Bearger being the main two, (Armored variants included) But most of them either require a very specific tool to summon, Or you need to be in their Biome (DFly, AG) 

I haven’t encountered the Shark Boi boss yet, but I’m going to take a wild guess and say it’s on a secluded island somewhere I have to go to when I’m ready to go to it, and then I probably have to interact with an oddly placed object (like Beequeens giant hive) in this case I probably need to attempt to fish in a large ice hole or something.. To trigger the new boss.

Because I haven’t fought him yet I can’t say how that fight works, but for all the others.. I can rush in as Wurt, build a MASSIVE Merm Army around the bosses spawning area, equip them all in Armor, gather my best weapons & healing supplies, and THEN Trigger the Fight by doing the specific thing I need to do to summon them.

The Terrarium in Multiplayer is at least a bit entertaining- cause you never know WHO it’s going to actually spawn on :lol:

Anyway: the point of this post is to show a clear and tiring pattern in how Klei designs game content, I want some new challenges that are going to be constantly bothering me not just when I go to a specific area to summon it, but throughout all areas of the game.

And Rift Content seems to be aiming to do that- With Lunar Hail, and Acid Rain.. both of which are largely disliked by a lot of the community.

So it’s hard to say what kind of content Klei should aim to deliver with the game.

If it’s more completely optional boss fights that need a specific tool to summon: People like myself will dislike it.

But if it’s new weather hazards or mobs that invade the constant and change how you explore each biome- People who dislike changes to the way the game their currently enjoying plays are going to dislike it.

Im not a fan of Rift Quakes in caves myself.. and in fact, I was hoping to see something a bit more uhm interesting? Such as for example- Lunar Hail Storms could mutate certain mobs or resources on the Surface.

I always thought that Tumbleweeds looked hilariously like a sleeping Tallbird, so it would be Funny if plucking one of these after Moon Rifts were opened could surprise the player by being a Tallbird.

You know- just stuff that isn’t optional boss fights requiring you to use a specific tool to summon for once?

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Because I haven’t fought him yet I can’t say how that fight works, but for all the others.. I can rush in as Wurt, build a MASSIVE Merm Army around the bosses spawning area, equip them all in Armor, gather my best weapons & healing supplies, and THEN Trigger the Fight by doing the specific thing I need to do to summon them

try to kill all bosses as quickly as possible to not let yourself overprepare then, delete the world if all bosses (aside from seasonal ones, e.g. bearger) aren't dead by the end of the first year and try until you succeed, do you want a timer that gets extended for every boss killed and kills you if it runs out or why can't you force yourself to do that?

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

There are a few exceptions: Deerclops & Bearger being the main two, (Armored variants included)

Some bosses come after you, but you can simply walk away to skip the entire fight... Not really coming after you is it?

Last time Klei add something that comes after you was pirate raid, and it failed miserably. Honestly I don't want Klei to add this type of mechanics because they're clearly not putting in the effort to make it a good one, always end up annoying and obnoxious.

1 - World Generation Overhaul, allowing for vastly different world generation settings including but not limited to: Archipelago, Pangea (no branching just one blob), Rivers, Official Loop world, Continents.

2 - Cave overhaul, causing the giant empty nature of the caves to be more confined and terrifying full of danger

3 - Season Updates, the later the seasons get additional dangers to mix up playstyle and require players to adapt.

4 - Literally anything that isn't boss related, but it seems that isn't going to happen so maybe a Combat Update to change how combat is from "Hold F and dodge" to something more interesting.

5 - Crockpot/Cooked Dishes overhaul - Too many underpowered dishes that need to be changed to actually see use by knowledgeable players. Changing how cooking is done in general would be welcome too.

Those are my top 5 wishes for DST.

4 minutes ago, grm9 said:

try to kill all bosses as quickly as possible to not let yourself overprepare then, delete the world if all bosses (aside from seasonal ones, e.g. bearger) aren't dead by the end of the first year and try until you succeed, do you want a timer that gets extended for every boss killed and kills you if it runs out or why can't you force yourself to do that?

Because and as I’ve tried to point out in every post I make- Fighting bosses isn’t where I find enjoyment within the game.

Bosses are confined to their own little areas, they’re optional… 

What ISNT Optional However- Is when you set the game to randomly choose how long your seasons or times of day last, I mean yeah you can simply leave it on default settings I guess, but that’s besides the point.

When you play with your seasons randomly changing in and out you have to be prepared by having the required gear to survive with, or if you happen to not have that gear, you have to make by the best you can until you obtain that gear.

Its like Deadly Brightshades, you have to kill your first few with bad armor and gear, but after killing them you obtain resources to craft the very same armor and gear that will make future encounters with them easier.

If you happen to get a group of Brightshades and you haven’t got the gear to deal with them, then you have to leave the area find some singled out less clustered Brightshades, kill those, craft the gear and THEN come back to deal with the larger infestation.

This isn’t the same as bosses who you can literally go the entire time your playing the game without ever needing to interact with.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This isn’t the same as bosses who you can literally go the entire time your playing the game without ever needing to interact with

so you're complaining about not having to interact with bosses but you don't want to interact with bosses 

8 minutes ago, grm9 said:

so you're complaining about not having to interact with bosses but you don't want to interact with bosses 

Nope, that’s where you misunderstand me- I would go fight Klaus if killing Klaus made permanent changes to the world around me by making Krampii occasionally spawn randomly to kick my face in.

I would fight Dragonfly if killing her triggered a global event where all ponds boil over into magma puddles and larvae could spawn out of them.

I would kill Deerclops if when she spawned she triggered a global snow blizzard that impacted vision and slowed player movement until you seek her out and kill her to end the Blizzard. But in the process of killing her.. now makes some distant ice glacier biome (currently not in the game) permanently more dangerous by adding little clops babies that fling snow covered rocks at you.

In other words: Progress should = more new challenges in a game that’s advertised and sold as being Uncompromising.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Nope, that’s where you misunderstand me- I would go fight Klaus if killing Klaus made permanent changes to the world around me by making Krampii occasionally spawn randomly to kick my face in.

I would fight Dragonfly if killing her triggered a global event where all ponds boil over into magma puddles and larvae could spawn out of them.

I would kill Deerclops if when she spawned she triggered a global snow blizzard that impacted vision and slowed player movement until you seek her out and kill her to end the Blizzard. But in the process of killing her.. now makes some distant ice glacier biome (currently not in the game) permanently more dangerous by adding little clops babies that fling snow covered rocks at you.

In other words: Progress should = more new challenges in a game that’s advertised and sold as being Uncompromising.

in that case people just wouldn't do those fights because that'd be detrimental, it'd make sense for something that adds difficulty to disappear after killing a boss instead of appearing, like how killing antlion prevents summer antlion sinkholes, and even that is annoying because you need to do that every summer or have to stop doing anything for a minute and run away from base a few times

7 minutes ago, grm9 said:

in that case people just wouldn't do those fights because that'd be detrimental, it'd make sense for something that adds difficulty to disappear after killing a boss instead of appearing, like how killing antlion prevents summer antlion sinkholes, and even that is annoying because you need to do that every summer or have to stop doing anything for a minute and run away from base a few times

Maybe.. but, just hear me out on this- What if the new Lunar Mutated Deerclops spawned and as soon as she spawns it locks the world into permanent winter (like the king of Winter challenge in solo DS) and it’s only upon killing her that winter will ever end?

This would make players want to actually kill the Deerclops, rather than ignore her till she despawns, or use her as a lumberjack.

These are the kind of changes I expect to see when discussing the future of DS, which while many people would like to remove the word “Uncompromising” from the franchise- Should still retain it.

I don't have a lot of high hopes for next year to be quite frank. I'd love them to focus on tweaking rather than adding: adding custom effects for transitioning into lunacy (it's been 5 years since they added it, come on) and focusing and making existing mechanics deeper

Archived