What are your next year's content expectations?

I think this year has been a very interesting one for DST, and I definitely think it’s been a learning experience for klei (I don’t mean this in a negative way). I’m really curious to see where they’ll take the rifts, I think that listening to the ppl who wanted more intrusive threats and for survival to be more of a challenge in the lategame was a mistake and I wonder how this will be remedied. 

9 hours ago, grm9 said:

try to kill all bosses as quickly as possible to not let yourself overprepare then, delete the world if all bosses (aside from seasonal ones, e.g. bearger) aren't dead by the end of the first year and try until you succeed, do you want a timer that gets extended for every boss killed and kills you if it runs out or why can't you force yourself to do that?

Just ignore Mike. Even when they're on your side they don't make any sense.

Ignoring the fact that "If you think the game's too easy, only ever do challenge runs" is horrible advice due to a variety of reasons, and honestly kind of insulting given the context. What if I want challenges that just aren't, y'know, combat based? What if I want it to feel like the world itself is out to get me? Challenges I can't simply negate by learning a basic kiting pattern? How am I supposed to do that, eh?  Do I just not use insulating gear? That sure sounds like one boring as hell ""challenge"" run.

I have no expectations for this current wave of content... only dreads at this point.

I dread that everything will become even MORE centralized on ****ing Planar damage power creep.

I dread that they'll continue to focus on giving skill trees to characters who in no way need them.

I dread that more and more skill trees will be like Willow's, which is about as balanced as a drunk guy with an inner ear infection doing ballet.

I dread that we'll go further and further down this Shadow vs. Lunar rabbit hole without the option to tell BOTH sides that they're full of it and make enemies out of all of them.

I dread skill trees will completely miss the point of characters like Wurt and Webber, and make them unrecognizable as the characters I currently know and love.

I dread that Klei will continue to focus on pushing new content out the door instead of fixing and updating current content that has had issues for years.

And last of all, I dread that Klei will continue to rush out half-baked updates over and over again to meet an arbitrary timer no one asked for or needed instead of taking a moment to really QA these changes and give a coherent, clear idea of the direction things are taking.

I don't mean to be pessimistic. I really don't. I will say that absolutely none of the current wave of updates has been as awful as Moon Quay was. (That was still by far the worst update in the history of the game and it's not even a contest.) Rather, I am being critical of the things I'm concerned with because the stuff I love about this game is so good.

Really, if I could just have Klei take one thing away from this, I just want them to TAKE A BREAK. Seriously, just... chill. I am okay with all of the stuff above, so long as that one thing is addressed. Just... ease up a little; that's all.

I'm expecting the same thing from klei

Ok but seriously, I just hope they can finish the skill trees this next year. Maybe a QOL, those are always nice. And just a smidge of lore in the skill tree cinematics please. Don't get me wrong, I liked the animations but I'm just a whore for lore... And while we're in lore topic. DST SERIES WHEN?

But if I have to be realistic and ask for something in particular; I really want an official keybind method for modders because spamming click through a list (that may not include all buttons) is awful.

3 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Challenges I can't simply negate by learning a basic kiting pattern?

toadstool with just torches and ham bat, FW without lazy explorer, nightmare amulet and weather pains, BQ with moon shrooms and bramble husk or shadow prison or without getting hit, flutes, etc.?

What if I want challenges that just aren't, y'know, combat based?

then do stuff fast even if it isn't related to combat, CC and adventure mode are still hard to do fast, even though fighting CC and cheesing CK using bees are the easy part, otherwise every second random player would get a WR when doing those at least if they're trying to 

Ignoring the fact that "If you think the game's too easy, only ever do challenge runs" is horrible advice due to a variety of reasons, and honestly kind of insulting given the context

why? they complained that they can overprepare, so i told them to not overprepare or delete the world if they end up doing that 

• More world ecology/weather content that designers use to deceive themselves they are still doing don't starve stuff, but actually only for disgust players.
  • More mobs exist only for killed by player, with combat nothing else but WASD+F.
  • More unbalanced and bloated character systems. Strongly tie everything to the character, reducing strategy and playability. Leads to endless arguments about strength and balance.
  • More new designers, with lack of knowledge or respect for what already exists and players once loved, simply sweep it into the trash with their own bad new designs.
  • More theme except for black jelly and damn eyeball moon is wasted, and those two are just banal versions of once better work.

no expectations, no disappointments.

23 hours ago, Wilson-brb said:

A real rework on wilson

Nah. I love playing with the character who is the same ever since the story of Don't Starve started. 

Being classic with the "Disable skill tree" mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3014397687&searchtext=disable+skill+trees

And I love to think I am far superior than all those mad skill tree and powercreep maniacs.

I hope to enhance Bat bat in a version update next year. I really like this weapon, but both its damage and durability are not proportional to its production cost, so I hope it can be improved. For example, changing the original 75 durability to 100 points will still consume spirit points when full health, but will not consume the durability of the bat bat itself. This can greatly increase the number of uses and also comply with the original design (such a technology that consumes spirit). Then increase the damage from 42.5 to 51 points. This way, even if the materials are more expensive, some people will still use them, and it is no longer exclusive to Wormwood beings.

4 minutes ago, zhangsheng said:

I hope to enhance Bat bat in a version update next year. I really like this weapon, but both its damage and durability are not proportional to its production cost, so I hope it can be improved. For example, changing the original 75 durability to 100 points will still consume spirit points when full health, but will not consume the durability of the bat bat itself. This can greatly increase the number of uses and also comply with the original design (such a technology that consumes spirit). Then increase the damage from 42.5 to 51 points. This way, even if the materials are more expensive, some people will still use them, and it is no longer exclusive to Wormwood beings.

the batbat is not a weapon to deal your damage with for the sake of dealing damage, it's there to heal you.

1 hour ago, Antynomity said:

the batbat is not a weapon to deal your damage with for the sake of dealing damage, it's there to heal you.

That's right, but there are so many treatment methods that are essentially not inferior to this one. In this way, the cost-effectiveness of this weapon is still very low. I just proposed a method that can improve the cost-effectiveness, even if it doesn't increase damage, just increasing durability is not a problem. Moreover, this is not brainless enhancement, and my suggestion of full health without consuming durability is not without punishment. Continuing to use it still requires deducting mental health, which I believe is reasonable.

5 hours ago, zhangsheng said:

That's right, but there are so many treatment methods that are essentially not inferior to this one. In this way, the cost-effectiveness of this weapon is still very low. I just proposed a method that can improve the cost-effectiveness, even if it doesn't increase damage, just increasing durability is not a problem. Moreover, this is not brainless enhancement, and my suggestion of full health without consuming durability is not without punishment. Continuing to use it still requires deducting mental health, which I believe is reasonable.

fair enough, that's true.

I don't really have any expectations for the next year, besides more skill trees of course that are qol updates in disguise. Unlike others that don't have expectations because they've become disillusioned with the state of the game, I don't have expectations because I simply can't expect what Klei is going to do. Like I'd never expect something like miasma or a temporary sea portal, so I'd don't know what to be be suprised with next.

17 hours ago, grm9 said:

toadstool with just torches and ham bat, FW without lazy explorer, nightmare amulet and weather pains, BQ with moon shrooms and bramble husk or shadow prison or without getting hit, flutes, etc.?

then do stuff fast even if it isn't related to combat, CC and adventure mode are still hard to do fast, even though fighting CC and cheesing CK using bees are the easy part, otherwise every second random player would get a WR when doing those at least if they're trying to 

why? they complained that they can overprepare, so i told them to not overprepare or delete the world if they end up doing that 

>"I want challenges that aren't combat based!"

>*Suggests nothing but combat-based challenges*

Christ in a Cracker Barrel you people are hopeless. 

And to answer your question, it's because at that point one might aswell be playing an entirely different game. Sure, I could do a caveman run of DST. Just like I could do a Fist-only Ultrakill run or a Nuzlocke of Pokemon. Sure, they're harder. But fundamentally different rules means a fundamentally different experience.

18 hours ago, Cassielu said:

Strongly tie everything to the character, reducing strategy and playability.

This doesn’t make any sense…

I don’t see how giving characters more tools to work with with new opportunities and potential for strategy is somehow reducing strategy??? Like what???

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

you people are hopeless. 

Truer words have never been spoken

Maybe not this year's expectation but I'd actually wish they'd stop making monthly content updates. I really wanna see more being released in packages in maybe 3-4 month periods just to focus on main stuff but I feel like it's prolly partially what we're getting with filler content like skill trees and QoL. Idk.

8 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Suggests nothing but combat-based challenges

i've told you that combat is the easy part of the CC run and adventure mode doesn't require you to kill anything, do adventure mode speedrun without killing anything if you want, maybe even do a run without attacking anything yourself although that probably won't be fun 

8 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

And to answer your question, it's because at that point one might aswell be playing an entirely different game. Sure, I could do a caveman run of DST. Just like I could do a Fist-only Ultrakill run or a Nuzlocke of Pokemon. Sure, they're harder. But fundamentally different rules means a fundamentally different experience

so suggesting to play the game differently is bad advice because playing the game differently is bad because then the gameplay becomes different which is a bad thing because idk? Why?

15 hours ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

Don't forget the skill trees! Yayyyyyyy.....

don't worry we'll have skill tree reworks 3 months after the last skill tree is released.

10 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Christ in a Cracker Barrel you people are hopeless. 

if I said that I'd get a warning and a punishment for another month :lol:

honestly though, I doubt we'll ever get any true challenge that isn't combat related, I fully expect more slop like acid rain and lunar hail where more effort goes into the visual presentation than the gameplay.

9 hours ago, goblinball said:

This doesn’t make any sense…

I don’t see how giving characters more tools to work with with new opportunities and potential for strategy is somehow reducing strategy??? Like what???

If you just throw in countless options without an idea of how they should be balanced, the game will naturally centralize on the most broken, powerful, and efficient ones; making other options a waste of time at best and an active detriment at worst.

Put it another way... Say we were playing Rock-Paper-Scissors. Three options; all of which have one "win," one "loss," and one "draw" scenario. Now, say that I added in a fourth option; Item 4. One that beats Scissors and Rock, but loses to paper. Paper and this new item will have 2 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw, while Rock and Scissors will now have 1 win, 2 losses, and 1 draw.

Now say we add Item 5, which beats all three of Rock, Paper, and Scissors, ties the first new item, and ties itself. Item 5 will have 3 win states, 2 ties, and can't lose.

Let's take it a step further. Say that we add Item 6, which loses against everything except that it ties Scissors and itself. Mathematically, there is no reason to choose it over Rock, Item 4, or Item 5, which all have more win states and overlaps with Item 6.

So, what does this all mean? We took a game that was mostly perfectly balanced. We then DOUBLED the number of options we have. But one of those options can't win, the other can't lose, and another is more balanced, but still throws off the original balance of the original options. Realistically, there is all the reason in the world to only choose Item 5 every single time, and literally never a reason to choose Item 6. And even with those edge cases removed, the original design philosophy of the game no longer applies and half of the options are still simply better than the other half.

TL;DR - Adding unbalanced options will negate meaningful choices on the part of the player, particularly if they overlap too heavily with other options.

1 hour ago, Ryusuta said:

TL;DR - Adding unbalanced options will negate meaningful choices on the part of the player, particularly if they overlap too heavily with other options.

I don’t think this is true in the case of dst 

I don’t think anyone is swapping to willow just because her lunar flamethrower does 2 dps or whatever 

nor do you see everyone playing maxwell despite him being yknow maxwell and that’s not even a skill tree thing

nor do you see everyone playing wanda 

or anyone else who’s gotten a skill tree

Not only is your rock paper scissors metaphor overly convoluted but it also falls flat because dst isn’t a pvp game, nobody plays dst to “win”. There is no “meta”.

also like the dst character roster is not nearly as unbalanced as you guys make it out to be lmao. I’ve seen real unbalanced, broken metas and I can tell you guys this isn’t it

like the forums sees a weapon or armor which is slightly stronger than an older one but requires 10x more effort to obtain and will cry “power creep!! power creep!!” like they’ve never seen basic progression in a game before

and if they aren’t accusing stuff of being powercreep then they’re accusing it of being op even if it’s stuff like willow’s lunar flamethrower 

nothing is going to change, skill trees are not ruining the dst “meta” or whatever, grow up.

6 hours ago, grm9 said:

i've told you that combat is the easy part of the CC run and adventure mode doesn't require you to kill anything, do adventure mode speedrun without killing anything if you want, maybe even do a run without attacking anything yourself although that probably won't be fun

so suggesting to play the game differently is bad advice because playing the game differently is bad because then the gameplay becomes different which is a bad thing because idk? Why?

Ah yes, just casually make it through the ruins without fighting anything, do the moon storm event without fighting anything, and cheese a whole 2 bosses just so you can say that that with a straight face. I'm not saying that I don't like combat, or that it's even particularly bad. But everything you suggested has combat fundementally baked-into it, with your only work around seemingly being "just cheese it."

And as for why it's bad advice. It's because I don't want to play "DST but". I want to play DST. Specifically, the I want to play the DST I was sold, and not the completely different game the last couple years of updates have been turning it into. I'm not a veteran by any stretch of the word, but I've still been playing this game long enough that it was sold to me as an "Uncompromising Survival Experience" with a straight face. So I'm not exactly sorry for being upset that Klei's been throwing this aspect of the game out to the hounds.

37 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Ah yes, just casually make it through the ruins without fighting anything, do the moon storm event without fighting anything, and cheese a whole 2 bosses just so you can say that that with a straight face

there's a difference between "combat is the easy part" and "you don't need to do combat", CC is easy, most people cheese CK because that's only like a day slower at most than fighting him with just boats and oars iirc

39 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

But everything you suggested has combat fundementally baked-into it, with your only work around seemingly being "just cheese it."

adventure mode doesn't require fighting anything aside from tanking a few shots from bishops when creating the teleportato, CC speedrun only requires you to fight CC which is easy and cheese CK which is easy too, ruins only require you to mine the statues for gems and go away, moonstone event is less than a minute long and you only need to kill a few hounds if you're blocking them away from reaching the moonstone using something that has collision but doesn't affect pathfinding and doesn't have hp and can't be moved by hounds and werepigs, moonstorm requires you to just hold F near birds and almost no one likes it either way

42 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

And as for why it's bad advice. It's because I don't want to play "DST but". I want to play DST

so you don't want to play the game without any restrictions because you don't have fun when playing it but you want to play the game without any restrictions despite not having fun when playing it because idk? Do you need the devs to keep forcing you into playing the game with restrictions that allow you to have fun? Why can't you play the game with restrictions that allow you to have fun without the devs forcing you into doing that?

Archived