Willow's casting icons

Willow's new casting mechanic is pretty much copied over from Maxwell's casting wheel.
I'm personally hoping this alone doesn't become a reoccurring trend for characters going forward, it loses its uniqueness if so.

With that said, I wanted to talk about the icons themselves. I'm not that fond of them, Maxwell I feel can get away with low detail-low colored icons since his gimmick is Shadow stuff but I don't think it works here at all. Especially for fire, which itself has a wide spectrum of colors.
image.png.5f784e179de5915d8021be7c0f128895.pngimage.png.9153a5385f36bb2eea35a9810c2c8d10.png

I'm not entirely sure where exactly to critique, I feel they're very bland in comparison. They could use more colors, the bright red border feels off, too. 

The colors of the whole thing are really off to me.

I actually thought it was placeholder art for a second. It feels like a really amateur rush job a modder would do, just take it in photoshop and slide the color balance around.

If it stuck to the color palette as Max's (except for the lunar fire ig) I don't think it'd look any worse for it with how it's currently set up.

25 minutes ago, Bombobbit said:

Yeah I also don't like them and the one at the top looks like a Wortox ability.

YES! Okay, this is what I couldn't put my tongue on.

They feel too bright red souls-y.
It does look like a Wortox icon, now that I think of it.
image.png.13c7c3353193a4df849c92fc05221161.png

4 minutes ago, BezKa said:

...I thought those are very clearly placeholders?

They are until they aren't.

My mentality is to always make certain to give feedback regardless if they 'clearly' are or aren't.
Old Big Bernie's art was literally said to be placeholder in the stream it was added in back in 1920 and... it didn't get changed till this beta. 

Aside, topics like this clearly give artists feedback on what they should do for the real deal! Let's others contribute to what they'd want to see in finalized ones.

Just now, -Variant said:

My mentality is to always make certain to give feedback regardless if they 'clearly' are or aren't.

You're right, that makes sense. Got "placeholder" directly wired to "please ignore" in my brain from work.

Eh, radial menus for selection is pretty common in games and easy for controllers.  It will not be something unique to Maxwell.  I just hope they offer a better key-binds solution b/c radial menus aren't as great for kb/m lol

I agree with all that's been said, and I'd like to add that in Celestial Champion's third phase's attack where it shoots gestalts, the geysers (?) that mark the limit of the attack also look very placeholdery, just plain bright blue, not looking like the moons palette

Archived