Wigfrid's rider tree feels out of place

Why does Wigfrid of all people have beefalo related perks? It's not particularly worth using a beefalo when playing as Wigfrid since you lose out on her damage and defense modifiers, and I wouldn't really consider 10 extra planar damage to make beefalo worth using. My initial thought was to use a rider beefalo, but then why would she get a saddle that protects beefalo from damage? It's not difficult to dismount your beefalo in a safe space, and there's no real reason to ever use anything but an ornery beefalo in combat (or rider with war saddle, but then you're not even using the protective saddle).

Is this meant to be a multiplayer centric skill branch? With the faster domestication perk I guess I could see the it being a more supportive thing, with the goal of getting other people geared up with beefalo, but this still doesn't make much sense because the extra ride time and planar damage are exclusive to Wigfrid. Thinking about it now, it'd make more sense for the ride time and planar damage to be part of a beefalo based song, assuming the rider tree is meant to be more team oriented. 

Maybe if Wigfrid had a perk that transferred her innate combat bonuses to beefalo the rider branch would feel less out of place. I think it'd be really cool and thematically fitting for Wigfrid to ride a beefalo into battle, unfortunately it's just not that optimal. The rest of Wigfrid's skill tree looks really cool though, I'm excited to play through the game and try out all her new equipment when the update is released to live servers.

7 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

but this still doesn't make much sense because the extra ride time and planar damage are exclusive to Wigfrid.

I concur. Her combat off saddle is incredible. It seems like a bit of a filler to me. It's a shame that other characters miss out on beefalo centric rewards because they were put on a character who doesn't need it.

I think Wigfrid having a beefalo tree is inoffensive because thats the closest we'll ever get to Valkyries riding on horseback in DST. Its an option that isnt forced on you and something you have to give up one of your new toys for (Spear, Helmet, Shield).

As someone who likes messing around with beef taming a lot, Im frankly happy that there's an option to reduce the long domestication process via character choice.

29 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

It's not particularly worth using a beefalo when playing as Wigfrid

maybe that is the key

also the entire skill tree is based on forum suggestion topics so i guess skill trees were though as a way to make everyone happy because the can add stuff that not everybody wants so each player can chose the version they want to play

Isn’t Wigfrid the character who’s abilities impact others around her in a radius area of effect?

then I’m gonna guess that Beefalo perks will apply to other players near to her Beefalo as well, sorta like she’s the leader of the pack.

Or stealing a gameplay mechanic out of Ark survival evolved- She’s the Alpha Wolf/Raptor when others are riding near to her. (Probably within screen radius for DST)

The problem is the two skills prior to the +10 planar damage, they will have no effect left once the domestication is completed so while it's domesticating support for multiplayer, spending >3< points into a damage increase won't fully address the removal of the whole character kit, there will be players to appreciate the attempt but these two perks are where it'll be saved for good if they help carry some of the character benefits, the two first could add +5 or 10dmg and restore the health regen for the Beefalo which can be enhanced by battle songs. So yeah there's hope.

I think it's a good idea precisely because she doesn't have a reason to use them. My gripe is that it doesn't give her enough. The skills she has right now should have more effects tacked on to make it a more competitive option.

Her other items should also synergise with beefalo. Make the lunge and parry work on beefaloback. Make the revive song work not just on players, but followers, including beefalo.

I think wigfrid being a beefalo-centric character is a good way to further seperate her from other characters.

The saddle seems kind of meh to me though. Damage resist is cool and all, but I'm really not sure id rather use that over 55% extra speed or 16 extra damage per hit.

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

I concur. Her combat off saddle is incredible. It seems like a bit of a filler to me. It's a shame that other characters miss out on beefalo centric rewards because they were put on a character who doesn't need it.

I think if anyone should get a beefalo themed skill tree, it should be Warly (for Wilba specifically)

While I'm puzzled by them choosing Wigfrid of all characters to get beefalo taming perks, I can't name a single character out of the remaining ones who would fit better thematically or functionally. A lot of characters synergize better with a fighter beefalo than Wigfrid does and it would feel wrong to pick one over the others. But it certainly feels wrong that perks that could improve everyone's beefalo gameplay are going to be character-specific and locked behind a skill tree. 

Perhaps making the saddle a craft available to everyone would be a better choice. As to beefalo taming perks, it would be awesome to see a separate new character whose main perk would be taming different wild creatures and having cool unique interactions with them. Think Newt Scamander from Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them. A curious wild nature lover and animal enthusiast. Maybe that new character could get an epic skill tree where they can ride sea creatures and explore the ocean on top of gnarwail or fight on top of a grass gator. Maybe they could find a way to tame even something scary like a Varg or Ewecus, or even have new flying mounts! For a character like that a skill tree speeding up the taming process of anything (not just beefalo), or unique creature-caring cratfs/equips would feel more fitting. 

Of course implementing and balancing a whole new character is a lot of work. But until then I would rather see something else in Wigfrid's skill tree, something not related to beefalo taming at all. 

I don't see it as out of place, I think the idea was that she makes equipment, so she makes equipment for beefalo. Before the push for a better bramble husk the battle helmet was the only "good" (some ppl liked the husk I guess) character craft able equipment. 

For a lot of characters Warly/Wormwood/Wes, a beefalo is more tanky. So what benefit is there for wig who has an easily craftable helmet, innate defence, and easy self healing? 

If anything I feel bad for Wolfgang. 

This makes wig a more versatile combat character imo

3 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

Does wigfrid get knocked back from the beefalo when Nightmare werepig attacks her while she is riding a beefalo and using her new knockback protection helmet?

The attack force-dismounts her but the animation is significantly shorter than the usual flinging animation.

I think it'd be better if the beefalo gave Wigfrid faster song meter, or prevent decay while riding or something. Some utility unique to Wig wouldve been great. If the saddle let wigfrid attack while mounted, that would've been really cool. Wig's damage is pretty much always going to be higher than a beefalo's damage. Wig really just wants the beefalo to get into the action. The beefalo perks for extra damage, domestication time and ride time are not really want the character would want out of a beefalo.

Honestly as much as I completely agree that Beefalo skills are neither what I expected nor wanted from Wigfrids skill tree given the rest of her skill tree looks so incredibly amazing I am really not that fussed as well. Also I'm basically never going to take those 4 skills so it makes it much easier for me to decide on my 15 skill points!

As someone who rarely ever actually uses Beefalo either (but a Wig main) this may encourage me to mess around with them more than I currently do.

8 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

The saddle seems kind of meh to me though. Damage resist is cool and all, but I'm really not sure id rather use that over 55% extra speed or 16 extra damage per hit.

I don't know the exact stats but the battle saddle is slightly slower than the default saddle. I haven't tested if it loses durability when the beefalo takes damage, but assuming it does then this saddle is just straight up terrible. If not, then it could be good depending on how much protection it gives, as even if it's 50% then you're essentially doubling your beefalos max hp. Being able to face tank things like deerclops/bearger without having to worry about your beefalo dying can be a massive time saver, and if the saddle retains it's protection while dismounted then that makes it super high value for either early beefalo domestication or enemies that are capable of knocking you off your beefalo.

16 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

I don't know the exact stats but the battle saddle is slightly slower than the default saddle. I haven't tested if it loses durability when the beefalo takes damage, but assuming it does then this saddle is just straight up terrible. If not, then it could be good depending on how much protection it gives, as even if it's 50% then you're essentially doubling your beefalos max hp. Being able to face tank things like deerclops/bearger without having to worry about your beefalo dying can be a massive time saver, and if the saddle retains it's protection while dismounted then that makes it super high value for either early beefalo domestication or enemies that are capable of knocking you off your beefalo.

• Battle Saddle +20% speed.
                           + 5 damage.
                           +40% damage reduction.

• Default Saddle: +40% speed.

• Glossamer Saddle: +55% speed.

• War Saddle:  +25% faster movement speed. 

+16 damage.

As far as I'm concerned,that skill is really useless, I don't think players really want to use the beefloo when they play the Wigrefried.

And the new weapon is also meaningless,the material is quite complex to obtain,and the time you can get the enough material that you can make the Brightshade and Void equipment,but the important thing is that equipment can't be replaced. 

By the way,Willou's skill tree is very funny.the predecessor's updates are biasic on the features of the character,expect  the Wigrefried, her skill tree is really messiness.

6 hours ago, Picklesaurus said:
  • Battle Saddle +20% speed.
                           + 5 damage.
                           +40% damage reduction.

• Default Saddle: +40% speed.

• Glossamer Saddle: +55% speed.

• War Saddle:  +25% faster movement speed. 

+16 damage.

Really awful tbh. Ornery beef 55 damage (65 with planar) is still weaker than a default char with darksword? And very slow too.

Archived