Your Dont Starve Together Hot Takes

Not the hottest take.
But I think the sailing in DST is honestly near perfect as it is.
The amount of fun I have by sailing around the world, especially with a group of people is unlike any other experience I've ever had in this game.
The issue is the world, not the boats.

• Like 15
  • GL Happy 1

Skill trees and planar damage are good mechanics.

Also, bosses that you just cant kite (you must do something else, or bring a different weapon, or approach in a different way) are good booses. Some people complain, but they dont realise how bad it would be if you could kill everything using A and D, and pressing F.

• Like 9
  • Spooky 1

On 11/5/2023 at 6:55 PM, DarkPulse91 said:

The issue is the world, not the boats.

I actually prefer the dst boats over sw. (Also, most people say the world is the problem aswell since it lacks life)

3 hours ago, dois raios said:

Skill trees and planar damage are good mechanics.

Also, bosses that you just cant kite (you must do something else, or bring a different weapon, or approach in a different way) are good booses. Some people complain, but they dont realise how bad it would be if you could kill everything using A and D, and pressing F.

This is why the nightmare were pig is the best boss in the game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dois raios said:

But bringing 15 Weather Pains, 12 pan flutes is not a good design either.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Keller Max said:

But bringing 15 Weather Pains, 12 pan flutes is not a good design either.

better have all bosses being defeated by holding F with grass suit and a spear

the game has tools and mechanics and people complain about using them in a game were you only have 1 atack buttom...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't get the complaints about bosses being killable without an extraneous equipment requirement. Celestial Champion can be killed with no armor and no healing, but who actually attempts the fight with nothing but a hambat and walking cane? Only people who spent 10+ hours practicing the fight or are practicing in a commands world.

• Like 5

My take is piping hot, so here goes nothing.

The animated shorts are boring and not worth watching. They used to be really good during A New Reign and around RoT, but now they just suck. Back in those days, the characters would actually interact with eachother, and interact with the new stuff and whatever's happening. The animation was also cleaner.

Now though, it feels like they pick the same 5 characters most of the time, with the occational rare background npc that is also picked between 1 of 5 character from another "roster". They also just don't interact at all. Why do we need to see Wigfrid pointing a spear towards a new enemy for the 18th time? Why can't we see, like, Wormwood trying to give them a flower or something?

Also Winona is already the wettest washcloth personality wise in the game already, why do we need to see her everytime? She just stands there most of the time.

The only reason to ever watch them is for the lore crumb at the end, which usually consists of Wagstaff or Maxwell looking suspicious.

Also the current animation style is ugly. There, I said it! It looked better when it was rough and with less frames. The animators should get paid to do less and I am NOT kidding.

Spoiler

Also this is 100% bias but Willow is so insanely neglected it's baffling to me, despite being fairly popular and (atleast used to be) one of the marketed characters. Klei just decided to push her aside and for what? I don't know how many "They know what they're doing" I got left in me...

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wavey 1
  • Shopcat 2

10 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

Weapons aren't required too, if you think about it.

these aren't even remotely comparable, it only takes some practice to learn to do bosses without expensive items like weather pains, and it ends up being better since you spend less time prepping so there's a tangible advantage to it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WONTow said:

My take is piping hot, so here goes nothing.

The animated shorts are boring and not worth watching. They used to be really good during A New Reign and around RoT, but now they just suck. Back in those days, the characters would actually interact with eachother, and interact with the new stuff and whatever's happening. The animation was also cleaner.

Now though, it feels like they pick the same 5 characters most of the time, with the occational rare background npc that is also picked between 1 of 5 character from another "roster". They also just don't interact at all. Why do we need to see Wigfrid pointing a spear towards a new enemy for the 18th time? Why can't we see, like, Wormwood trying to give them a flower or something?

Also Winona is already the wettest washcloth personality wise in the game already, why do we need to see her everytime? She just stands there most of the time.

The only reason to ever watch them is for the lore crumb at the end, which usually consists of Wagstaff or Maxwell looking suspicious.

Also the current animation style is ugly. There, I said it! It looked better when it was rough and with less frames. The animators should get paid to do less and I am NOT kidding.

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

Also this is 100% bias but Willow is so insanely neglected it's baffling to me, despite being fairly popular and (atleast used to be) one of the marketed characters. Klei just decided to push her aside and for what? I don't know how many "They know what they're doing" I got left in me...

Ā 

To answer a couple of these....

Despite what it seems, its not acutally as bad as you're saying.

I made a comprehensive list and it's not that badly distributed. Even taking into account post ROT trailers... I think Wilson, Wendy and Wes are the only characters to have appeared in more than one short iirc.

As to why Winona and Willow seem unequally distributed, Willow's role as secondary protagonist has largely been taken over by Winona because she has an actual stake in the story with Charlie, unlike Willow who has no such personal investment.

I largely disagree on character interactions, shorts like WX-78's "Disconnected" and "survival guide - firewood" have especially good interactions. Really, the only ones that do better are "Reap what you Sow" and "the monster marsh" imo.

As for interacting with content, that's just flat out wrong. All of the shorts do a pretty good job of interacting with the new content.

Admittedly, the whole "End of short suspense" shtick is getting really old. I think literally every short this year, with the exception of terrors below has had it to some extent.

• Like 4
  • Sad Dupe 1

Theres nothing they can do to save Willows reputation as fire griefer, no matter how dumb it is

They should just go all in, abandon the bear and make her powers all fire based, just later game so no one (sane) can cry griefer. Give me fire bombs, fire morning mace and fire weather pains.

Cmon, do it Klei, itll be funny :wilson_evil:

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

People need to stop saying "should" in their posts. It is undervaluing the amount of effort Klei does with their games.

Rephrasing things to "I would like" makes it kinder to Klei and does not imply a massive issue with the game.

Edited by Evelo
  • Like 1
  • Shopcat 2

3 hours ago, Brago-sama said:

Theres nothing they can do to save Willows reputation as fire griefer, no matter how dumb it is

They should just go all in, abandon the bear and make her powers all fire based, just later game so no one (sane) can cry griefer. Give me fire bombs, fire morning mace and fire weather pains.

Willow Skill Tree.MP4

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 2

6 hours ago, Brago-sama said:

Problem is Willow was planned for singleayer where if you mess up it's your fault, in dst if willow messes up with fire it's not the other 11 people's fault but they have to rollback or somethingĀ 

6 hours ago, WenericMember said:

To answer a couple of these....

Despite what it seems, its not acutally as bad as you're saying.

Admittedly, the whole "End of short suspense" shtick is getting really old. I think literally every short this year, with the exception of terrors below has had it to some extent.

Me watching firewood only to be left with 3 seconds of wagstaff lore that will likely never be built upon

• Like 1

My hot take.

Ā 

The Dark Sword sucks.

Ā 

It has only slightly higher damage than a Hambat, and has a very noticeable long-term effect on your sanity when in heavy combat areas. For example, clearing the ruins with Dark Swords, on top of the sanity penalties already present, requires a constant supply of sanity foods or you just tolerate the shadow creatures appearing.Ā Ā 

Another semi hot take involved with this...

Ā 

The shadow creatures actually do pose an annoyance when you have to stop what you're doing to dance with them for a minute and a half, there's always the risk of running up against 2 and just happening to take an accidental hit. To make matters worse, using a Dark Sword on them costs more of its durability, and again the damage really isn't that much better than a Hambat.Ā 

Ā 

Short term fights? Well if you fight Deerclops without tanking, the additional sanity aura on top of deerclops(and most other bosses) brings in the shadow creatures much faster, and these are incredibly annoying to deal with while a boss is also coming after you...and again takes more durability to kill them off. It just hastens the point where you're juggling 3 possible sources of damage to yourself, instead of just one.Ā 

Ā 

You might say it's good against Toadstool, since he hard-counters hambattery, but the thulecite club is actually useful against this boss.Ā 

Ā 

Brightshade Sword is the best endgame weapon one could ask for, it has planar relevance, does Dark Sword damage, pairs with the literal-upgrade to the football helmet, and doesn't drain your sanity constantly.Ā 

Ā 

Dark Swords are highly overrated and bring more trouble than they're worth. That's my hot take.Ā 

9 hours ago, Q42 said:

I don't get the complaints about bosses being killable without an extraneous equipment requirement. Celestial Champion can be killed with no armor and no healing, but who actually attempts the fight with nothing but a hambat and walking cane? Only people who spent 10+ hours practicing the fight or are practicing in a commands world.

or people wanting variety in combat

toad, if we ignore how easy and long is the fight, is a good design, fw is the best designed boss, daywalker forcing you to manipulate your sanity, etc makes combat richer than just hold F

Ā 

maybe following your assumption, people who dont want variety is people that enjoy face tanking as wigfrid every mob and expecting to win every encounter without effort

9 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

these aren't even remotely comparable, it only takes some practice to learn to do bosses without expensive items like weather pains, and it ends up being better since you spend less time prepping so there's a tangible advantage to it

So do you kill all your toadstools, fuelweavers, celestial champions without weather pains?

Do you kill all your dragonflys and bee queens without pan flutes then?

19 minutes ago, Rhovious Aran said:

So do you kill all your toadstools, fuelweavers, celestial champions without weather pains?

Do you kill all your dragonflys and bee queens without pan flutes then?

People use weather pains for cc??? Just lazer the crystals its really easy

Also like you only need it for toad if you manage to put a tree in a spore, meaning you didn't run far enough away so I always do it without but I think more than 1 is slight overkill

Edited by Retepeter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, _zwb said:

Just play Maxwell and ignore sanity drainĀ  ;)

I feel so icky playing as characters with less than at least 150 hp.

I barely even get below the threshold for a 75hp death these days, but every time I do I think ''Man if I was playing as Maxwell I'd be dead''.