Your Dont Starve Together Hot Takes

10 minutes ago, grm9 said:

no it doesn't, that's just an issue with you because you're thinking of ways others could've made the game easier for you instead of thinking about how to solve issues on your own, everything in the game is entirely fair when playing solo in comparison to multiplayer and, imo, solo is how difficult the game should be, with multiplayer being the easy mode with bosses dying in less than a minute with 6 players 

This is biased towards your on preferences though isn’t it? maybe some people want bosses to die fast so that they can enjoy other parts of the game that admitably go under-looked.

For example: I get way more enjoyment out of looking all over the constant for every WintersFeast buffet dish ingredient then I do fighting one boss with the same two attacks for 45 minutes.

1 hour ago, Hungry French said:

You're talking about a mode in which after death you can choose a character and appear on the same map where you died, but without the explored map...

It would be better if the game had a ghost-free mode. So that the mechanics of rebirth would be the same as in DS.

No, I’m talking about a recently added world Gen setting (not a game mode) that deletes your game save file instantly should you happen to die without proper healing items (LGA or Meat Effigy)

You don’t get the countdown clock to find a touchstone, etc your game just gets erased like classic Solo DS.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

For example: I get way more enjoyment out of looking all over the constant for every WintersFeast buffet dish ingredient then I do fighting one boss with the same two attacks for 45 minutes.

In this DST, bosses lose heavily. Bosses in other games can last 1-3 minutes, and show 10 different attacks and make it take a very long time to die from bosses (hours, tens or even hundreds of hours.)
I don't understand people.
Klei made its golden solo stardart hp in DS. People say that Klei made a mistake.
Klei displayed the same DS gold standard, but for 2-6 players in DST, people also consider it a mistake.

The lack of hp scalling leads to the fact that some people are too proud of killing bosses with high hp, and others will be called noobs and that they want an easy game (I wonder how often these people die bosses who are considered "difficult").
Like someone was seriously saying that if the reworked guardian had less than 10k hp, then it would be a mob with high damage.
I wonder if he's been dying from this boss a lot lately.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No, I’m talking about a recently added world Gen setting (not a game mode) that deletes your game save file instantly should you happen to die without proper healing items (LGA or Meat Effigy)

You don’t get the countdown clock to find a touchstone, etc your game just gets erased like classic Solo DS.

Cool function, it's a pity that there is nothing else besides it.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is biased towards your on preferences though isn’t it? maybe some people want bosses to die fast so that they can enjoy other parts of the game that admitably go under-looked.

that's entirely unrelated to what you were complaining about, there are no fights that last 45 minutes even with default damage multiplier aside from maybe toadstool without minions and buffs

3 minutes ago, grm9 said:

that's entirely unrelated to what you were complaining about, there are no fights that last 45 minutes even with default damage multiplier aside from maybe toadstool without minions and buffs

Klei didn't balance the fights for solo.
So it's not Mike's problem or anyone's.
Multiplayer it's a true mode to play DST is almost the same as in DS.

Solo it's a broken mode, because there is not even such a mode.
There are only Multiplayer worlds

Just now, Hungry French said:

Klei didn't balance the fights for solo.
So it's not Mike's problem or anyone's.
Multiplayer it's a true mode to play DST is almost the same as in DS.

Solo it's a broken mode, because there is not even such a mode.
There are only Multiplayer worlds

that's entirely unrelated to what we were talking about

13 minutes ago, Hungry French said:

In this DST, bosses lose heavily. Bosses in other games can last 1-3 minutes, and show 10 different attacks and make it take a very long time to die from bosses (hours, tens or even hundreds of hours.)

that wouldn't work in DST because multiplayer lag, players colliding with each other and pushing each other out of position to perform precise dodges, deciding if the boss should continue the combo and on who should he continue it if one or multiple players fail the dodge but other players don't, removing all strategies other than fighting the boss properly because otherwise everyone would use minions or cheese, so there'd be no variety in strategies and there'd be very little reason to play the game properly instead of just fighting bosses solo by giving yourself equipment through console commands instead of surviving and getting it because everyone would get it the same way and use the same strategy and multiplayer lag would make fighting bosses miserable so people would mostly play solo so if you want bosses that are like that, play dark souls 3, elden ring etc., putting them in DST would make DST no longer a survival game, or at least it'd be unenjoyable to play it as a survival game

3 minutes ago, grm9 said:

that's entirely unrelated to what we were talking about

that wouldn't work in DST because multiplayer lag, players colliding with each other and pushing each other out of position to perform precise dodges, deciding if the boss should continue the combo and on who should he continue it if one or multiple players fail the dodge but other players don't, removing all strategies other than fighting the boss properly because otherwise everyone would use minions or cheese, so there'd be no variety in strategies and there'd be very little reason to play the game properly instead of just fighting bosses solo by giving yourself equipment through console commands instead of surviving and getting it because everyone would get it the same way and use the same strategy and multiplayer lag would make fighting bosses miserable so people would mostly play solo so if you want bosses that are like that, play dark souls 3, elden ring etc., putting them in DST would make DST no longer a survival game, or at least it'd be unenjoyable to play it as a survival game

It's just that the overall design of the attacks and the music of the bosses were not created for grueling and long battles for one.
The music is short, loot is not enough or vice versa too much.
To kill a toadstool for the sake of a mushroom lamp...

Solo players and not solo players should be on equal terms, so that it doesn't look like the developers don't want to see solo players in DST.

And the huge hp of the bosses does not look like a full-fledged part of a solo game, but like some kind of unbalanced fan mod, where a person killed the boss and thought "What a cool boss would like to fight with him longer." That's about what I thought when I was fighting Iron Hulk.

Iron Hulk - best boss in franchise.

And about DS 3 and Elden Ring... There are games much harder than these.
I expected more from DS 3. And in Elden King, although I did not play, but there are few bosses who can reach the DS 3 level. (some bosses literally fall with a couple of blows in the Elden Ring).

31 minutes ago, grm9 said:

Fights last however long other shenanigans going on in the world force them to last, sure you can bring 40 bees to cheese crab king, but then… you could also have two RockJaw sharks spawn to take the bees attacks off the CrabKing, or you could be too slow in escaping and get your boat pinched then geyser’d OR, you could sail too far out of range.

All of which lead to rolling back to a previous save file and losing progress in whatever you did between your last save & Rolling Back.

Dont tell me I didn’t waste 45 minutes on something I know I CLEARLY did, even if the fight itself is only designed to last a few minutes when multiple players are added into the Equation, doing it solo is more of a Chore than it is an enjoyment.

at least for me it is anyway..

So I can understand where hungry French is coming from, however spamming the topic in every discussion on the forums even if it’s off topic is the wrong way to address the situation.

What we should INSTEAD be doing is asking for more world Gen settings or game mode options that accommodate for it.

12 minutes ago, Hungry French said:

(some bosses literally fall with a couple of blows in the Elden Ring)

you're supposed to reduce your dps on your own if you want challenge, that's how it always was in these games, obviously even solo FW in DST will be harder than fighting souls-like bosses levelled, but FW would require a much longer fight to spend equally as much time on attempting to kill it as e.g. SL1 no sprint/roll/block/parry champion gundyr 

21 minutes ago, Hungry French said:

It's just that the overall design of the attacks and the music of the bosses were not created for grueling and long battles for one.
The music is short, loot is not enough or vice versa too much.
To kill a toadstool for the sake of a mushroom lamp...

eh it's fine in most cases, FW and nightmare werepig are still fun with the amount of hp they have even when playing solo, bosses that are unfun are mostly just bad on their own, toadstool and RoG bosses aren't fun in any case, they would still be boring even if they'd have less hp 

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Fights last however long other shenanigans going on in the world force them to last, sure you can bring 40 bees to cheese crab king, but then… you could also have two RockJaw sharks spawn to take the bees attacks off the CrabKing, or you could be too slow in escaping and get your boat pinched then geyser’d OR, you could sail too far out of range.

All of which lead to rolling back to a previous save file and losing progress in whatever you did between your last save & Rolling Back.

Dont tell me I didn’t waste 45 minutes on something I know I CLEARLY did, even if the fight itself is only designed to last a few minutes when multiple players are added into the Equation, doing it solo is more of a Chore than it is an enjoyment.

at least for me it is anyway..

So I can understand where hungry French is coming from, however spamming the topic in every discussion on the forums even if it’s off topic is the wrong way to address the situation.

What we should INSTEAD be doing is asking for more world Gen settings or game mode options that accommodate for it.

i thought you meant 45 minutes spent on a single fight instead of multiple attempts, then that's just an issue with you not liking that boss fights exist which wouldn't be properly solved by reducing boss hp anyway, since you'd still need to fight them and idk what'd you do if there would've been no boss fights, simply farming and gathering resources would be boring 

25 minutes ago, grm9 said:

you're supposed to reduce your dps on your own if you want challenge, that's how it always was in these games, obviously even solo FW in DST will be harder than fighting souls-like bosses levelled, but FW would require a much longer fight to spend equally as much time on attempting to kill it as e.g. SL1 no sprint/roll/block/parry champion gundyr 

Still, the variety of attacks from souls bosses is higher and the music is more.
Many bosses are trite faster and more dangerous than FW.
And the main difficulty of FW is because of how poorly the inventory is made in the DST. It is not adapted for you to fight with 10-15 items in your inventory.

In soluses, if you want a long fight, you can fight with your fists.

And Champion Gundir will be more difficult than FW.
And don't forget that FW was created for multiplayer. Therefore, it would be much weaker if it was created for solo.

eh it's fine in most cases, FW and nightmare werepig are still fun with the amount of hp they have even when playing solo, bosses that are unfun are mostly just bad on their own, toadstool and RoG bosses aren't fun in any case, they would still be boring even if they'd have less hp 

Still, their HP is much higher due to the multiplayer and this makes the battle a little long and tedious.
And RoG bosses...  In the present RoG, all seasonal bosses are more interesting and dangerous (For some reason they were made weaker in the DST ...)
RoG Dragon Fly is quite fun.

i thought you meant 45 minutes spent on a single fight instead of multiple attempts, then that's just an issue with you not liking that boss fights exist which wouldn't be properly solved by reducing boss hp anyway, since you'd still need to fight them and idk what'd you do if there would've been no boss fights, simply farming and gathering resources would be boring 

Well, normally for players there should be a kind of solo mod mode.
Although in my opinion the DS hp of bosses is a little small, but x2 for DS bosses is the ideal value in my opinion ( And for DST bosses ).

However, if we ever see solo mode for DST or a new solo game, then I hope that some DST bosses will be rebalanced and become more aggressive ( Toadstool). And some will get worse loot. ( Like a Bee Queen )
I still don't understand why a huge amount of gold and gems are falling from Dragon Fly... It doesn't look right.

Edited by Hungry French

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Like- I don’t feel this desire to “Get better at the game” when I die to a swarm of cookie cutters that Stunlock me to death on a tiny boat platform, all it does is frustrates me that if I had more players on the boat with me, they would be able to help kill the swarm of otherwise infinite stun locking..

cookie cutters are one of the easiest mobs to deal with solo, in company or afk

totally skill issue, you can claim that the game is developed for multiplayer and say that cookie cutters are a proof of that, that just invalidates everything you could say

• GL Happy 1

7 hours ago, Hungry French said:

Still, the variety of attacks from souls bosses is higher and the music is more.
Many bosses are trite faster and more dangerous than FW.

i've already explained why that wouldn't work

And Champion Gundir will be more difficult than FW.

that was my point, souls bosses are easier than ones in any other game if your dps isn't restricted by anything, but harder with restrictions like SL1 +0 etc., that's mostly irrelevant now anyway 

And the main difficulty of FW is because of how poorly the inventory is made in the DST. It is not adapted for you to fight with 10-15 items in your inventory. 

try no lazy explorer/weather pains/nightmare amulet, it's harder and doesn't require inventory management 

Still, their HP is much higher due to the multiplayer and this makes the battle a little long and tedious.

And RoG bosses...  In the present RoG, all seasonal bosses are more interesting and dangerous (For some reason they were made weaker in the DST ...)
RoG Dragon Fly is quite fun.

Well, normally for players there should be a kind of solo mod mode.

Although in my opinion the DS hp of bosses is a little small, but x2 for DS bosses is the ideal value in my opinion ( And for DST bosses ).

However, if we ever see solo mode for DST or a new solo game, then I hope that some DST bosses will be rebalanced and become more aggressive ( Toadstool). And some will get worse loot. ( Like a Bee Queen )

I still don't understand why a huge amount of gold and gems are falling from Dragon Fly... It doesn't look right.

that's unrelated to what the conversation started because of 

8 hours ago, arubaro said:

cookie cutters are one of the easiest mobs to deal with solo, in company or afk

totally skill issue, you can claim that the game is developed for multiplayer and say that cookie cutters are a proof of that, that just invalidates everything you could say

I mean you can say what you want.. but I don’t feel like players should be required to use Darkswords to fend them off.

There are certain mobs in DST that could really use a HP tone down, and it’s not because I CAN’T fight Cookie Cutters- Give me A Darksword or the newer Brightshade Sword & I’ll make short work of them, the thing is though… should the player really be expected to use anything higher than a easy to craft in bulk spear to fight of a few tiny fish?

I can use this spear to kill a horde of hounds, and a Varglet that spawns them.. yet cookie cutters board your boat, and stun lock you to death if you don’t use weapons above spear tier on them.

I simply don’t think certain parts of the game should require such a I guess you can call it “Skill Check” just to build a grass boat kit and wooden oar to paddle out to sea to see what you can discover.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean you can say what you want.. but I don’t feel like players should be required to use Darkswords to fend them off

You can easily kill cookie cutters with spears also ever thought about you know killing them one by one or two by two ? You don't need to kill the whole group at once

Edited by gamehun20
  • Like 2

I think don't starve together is heavily unbalanced in game design towards groups of high skill players using keyboard and mouse; It's essentially impossible for new players to reach a higher skill level on console because of the controls, and fuel weaver and celestial champion are straight up impossible solo without at least 6 players with high skills.

Plus, the fuel weaver and cc quests are the most obtuse quests I've ever seen in a game, please tell me how someone is supposed to figure it out with no outside help.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

10 hours ago, arubaro said:

It is strange to expect from Klei that for their multiplayer game, where the audience is co-op players, they will not create content for playing together. This is not a DS for solo, but a game for multiplayer.

3 hours ago, grm9 said:

try no lazy explorer/weather pains/nightmare amulet, it's harder and doesn't require inventory management 

And the fight will take even longer.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean you can say what you want.. but I don’t feel like players should be required to use Darkswords to fend them off.

There are certain mobs in DST that could really use a HP tone down, and it’s not because I CAN’T fight Cookie Cutters- Give me A Darksword or the newer Brightshade Sword & I’ll make short work of them, the thing is though… should the player really be expected to use anything higher than a easy to craft in bulk spear to fight of a few tiny fish?

Almost all melee weapons in the game kill Cookie Cutters in solo with 2 strikes .

It makes no sense to use something stronger than tentacle spike.

This is one of the few DST mobs that has solo hp.

The only problem with this mob is their number and that without a Boot Patch your boat is over.

image.png.24de78c685d27b3f0ef249c12f94e083.png

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It is really useful for solo, it can easily make you insane really fast.

Drive me crazy because I'm bored of fighting bosses and I have to do very long training? What makes darts, gunpowder tactics useless, because it takes even more time.

29 minutes ago, Ardcrumb said:

I think don't starve together is heavily unbalanced in game design towards groups of high skill players using keyboard and mouse; It's essentially impossible for new players to reach a higher skill level on console because of the controls, and fuel weaver and celestial champion are straight up impossible solo without at least 6 players with high skills.

Hp Celestial Champion and designed for 4 players.
Ancient Fuelweawer... Would Klei give him 4000 hp for solo or 2000 ?
All other raid bosses with 15000+ hp are already made for 6 players.

• Wavey 1

cookie cutters board your boat, and stun lock you to death

You can just step back a bit when they land on the boat, and attack them from the outside one by one. Honestly this just feels like tanking hordes of spiders while being surrounded, then blames the game for your death.

weapons above spear tier on them.

Hambat is a rare and expensive weapon that no one can afford.

• Like 1