Your Dont Starve Together Hot Takes

Nerfing the celestial portal wouldn’t make the game harder, just less fun. The only ppl who will ever use the celestial portal are ppl who are already good at the game and just want to do fun stuff with whatever character they want. Nerfing the celestial portal simply takes away this fun.

Also, Wendy is not a crutch for new players. She’s training wheels. There’s plenty of things new players have to learn outside of combat; abigail simply allows new players to learn these things 1 at a time rather than having to deal with learning them AND combat simultaneously. If a new player doesn’t feel comfortable doing combat without abigail yet and want to stick with Wendy, then that’s their choice and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Edited by goblinball
  • Like 12

The most annoying thing about Walter is his voice.

Also I can't play as Webber because the screech from spiders is even more annoying than Walter's voice.

The hopping mandrake isn't annoying though :)

I love the annoyed reactions to the mandrake from the characters, especially Woodie's.

Edited by hoppin mandrake
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 12:22 AM, Theukon-dos said:

The "Monster but actually silly little guy" character archtype was overdone by the time Wortox rolled around. Wurt should have been a facist instead of a child. Or better yet, a facist and a child for the extra juxtoposition.

Wormwood should’ve been a silly little guy, Wurt should’ve been a fascist, and Wortox should’ve just been a jerk.

Edited by cameron8800
  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 2
  • Spooky 1

1 hour ago, cameron8800 said:

Wormwood should’ve been a silly little guy.

But he is! (unless you meant his height, then I agree with you, he should be a small gnome).

1 hour ago, cameron8800 said:

Wurt should’ve been a fascist

I'm getting PTSD from a reddit post about Warbux.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

If it's the post I'm thinking about, I think that's actually what made me realize that Wurt should have been a fascist.

Not gonna lie, that post made me realize that usually people that suggest this are just "ImSoEdGY" teenagers. I was once like this (not with racism, never with racism.) but I still cringe remembering that.

Also to keep this on topic: My hot take is that Lunar hail should not stop rain, instead it should turn it in heavy rain.

• Like 2

Character skill trees aren't meant to be anything grandiose like the character refreshes are. They're more so meant to add things that are nice but not needed. I think Wolfgang works as the perfect example as he works perfectly fine treeless but is just pushed that little bit further without redefining him as a character like how his rework changed how he gained might and removed his speed. This is excluding alignment picks, which I feel have to be somewhat more powerful to justify picking one over the other 

On the otherside of the coin, skills trees should not be the thing that "fixes" the character like a layer of wall paper over a wall that looks like Swiss cheese. In alignment to how the perks should be relatively unneeded to get a cohesive picture of the character, they should also not be there to solve critical design flaws or weak sauce things. A main example is Woodie's lunar alignment perk of nullifying him transforming underneath full moon. In a vacuum, this is a neat perk that helps you not be stuttered every 20ish days or so, but then monster known as the moonstorms comes along and f**ks everything up. Even if you heavily simp for the transformations, it still sucks to have to transform every single night, even when you're trying to stop the same thing that started them. I shouldn't be punished with a thousand slaps for daring to play a part in the world's progression, so your almost psudoly forced to choose that alignment of you want to experience anything end game lunar in a solo world. I know that people may disagree that the skill tree selections should be kept relatively weak, but I'm sure that almost everyone can agree that skill trees shouldn't be used to cover up inherit design flaws of a character.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Other that the world doesn't mutate or change much on each generation making it somewhat repetitive.

we need more set pieces. Klei remove many from DS like the weather traps

they are adding set pieces but what i think they didnt get is that we want random set pieces, not just the ones that are added cuz new mechanics or content

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

Character skill trees aren't meant to be anything grandiose like the character refreshes are. They're more so meant to add things that are nice but not needed. I think Wolfgang works as the perfect example as he works perfectly fine treeless but is just pushed that little bit further without redefining him as a character like how his rework changed how he gained might and removed his speed. This is excluding alignment picks, which I feel have to be somewhat more powerful to justify picking one over the other 

On the otherside of the coin, skills trees should not be the thing that "fixes" the character like a layer of wall paper over a wall that looks like Swiss cheese. In alignment to how the perks should be relatively unneeded to get a cohesive picture of the character, they should also not be there to solve critical design flaws or weak sauce things. A main example is Woodie's lunar alignment perk of nullifying him transforming underneath full moon. In a vacuum, this is a neat perk that helps you not be stuttered every 20ish days or so, but then monster known as the moonstorms comes along and f**ks everything up. Even if you heavily simp for the transformations, it still sucks to have to transform every single night, even when you're trying to stop the same thing that started them. I shouldn't be punished with a thousand slaps for daring to play a part in the world's progression, so your almost psudoly forced to choose that alignment of you want to experience anything end game lunar in a solo world. I know that people may disagree that the skill tree selections should be kept relatively weak, but I'm sure that almost everyone can agree that skill trees shouldn't be used to cover up inherit design flaws of a character.

Agreed!

But when a character gets its skill tree spotlight, it also can get other "unintended features/bugs" fixed too, for example wormwood traps damaging non armored players.

And they can also get a mechanic that "reinvents" how the character approach certain situations. (bramble armor perk for wormwood, moose perks for woodie)

2 minutes ago, arubaro said:

we need more set pieces. Klei remove many from DS like the weather traps

they are adding set pieces but what i think they didnt get is that we want random set pieces, not just the ones that are added cuz new mechanics or content

Setpieces? Yes. Weathertrap? Only if the season turns back to original overtime or to the next one that originally was maybe. I enjoyed the funny traps like those. More interactables in the world are much loved.

2 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

Character skill trees aren't meant to be anything grandiose like the character refreshes are. They're more so meant to add things that are nice but not needed

Wormwood, Wilson and Woodie pretty much became new characters and would be much less without any of these skills. 

6 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Setpieces? Yes. Weathertrap? Only if the season turns back to original overtime or to the next one that originally was maybe. I enjoyed the funny traps like those. More interactables in the world are much loved.

not saying that they should bring it but they removed some included that ones

btw, they are still in the files and can be active in world gen so pretty sure there are mods for that

6 hours ago, HellHeater said:

Klei should not use third party mods as a gateway for the game's flaws and should actually work towards fixing them.

They are not using, the issue is that we have no Idea of what klei considers "Unintended" so things currently are more about "I don't like X thing and I use a mod to change/remove it", and while we don't get a solid answer from klei people just go down into a rabbit hole-think-tank sort of thing creating conspirationist theorys about how they act, such as your hot take.

Also I don't think that I've ever seen any moderator/staff commenting something such as "use geometric placement" or "use status mods".

• Like 2

starting with the waterlogged biome update (and thereby the changes that made boats like 10x faster even without any sails at all) the ocean has been a pretty great content addition that essentially allows you to perform an entirely new, unique, incredibly fun early game whenever you want. I've always thought (and observed) that a large part of the conflict that many players find with it aside from a bad first impression is just that your best gameplay experience is going to involve betraying your instincts and trying to go slow-ish rather than speeding through everything, and that the fact that it's something you have to opt into means that an uncaring, apathetic player is perfectly capable of ignoring it until they're at the point in the game where a lot of it's rewards aren't going to feel great to them.

I think people would instantly, superficially warm up to ocean content if merely the rate at which bottles spawned was doubled and the thulecite & gems sunken chest was more common. Because then, on paper, it would sound good.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Primalflower said:

the thulecite & gems sunken chest was more common.

I've always thought that it'd be better if instead of giving the players thulecite and gems the chest gave amulets, staffs and other ruins' loot. It feels like it takes an eternity to go out of your way to get the sunken chest just to get a couple of materials that you can't even use unless you go to the other side of the world. But that may be a problem with the lack of fast travel in the game...

• Like 4

Think I've got one. The character models are too small and it's difficult to see/appreciate a lot of the skins because of it. I think the default should at least be the size of mighty Wolfgang, larger and more visually appealing yet not out of proportion with the rest of the world. As it is right now they feel too short and tiny compared to most of the constant.