Your Dont Starve Together Hot Takes

12 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Is that the donut world?

Yes, it's the only way I make my worlds now.

After clearing paths (and good sails), it only takes about half a day to reach the furthestmost biome.

My first furnace goes on my boat and winters have never been the same. Instant max heat thermal at any biome with thermal swapping starting first winter.

Inventory management is virtually non-existent since I place all items on my boat. 

Short bridges to lunar island/moonquay are far more common since the donut world cuts the ocean in half (inside/outside). 

Every biome has above average tree placement (good for lots of small bases)

Cons: 

Need more boats, since traveling outside the donut world takes way too long. 

Wormhole placement is extremely important.

The whole world generation is far more important.

Finding a good world takes longer.

Conclusion:

It takes work but I think everyone should try to play with these worlds a few times. It really does change the outlook I have on sailing as I combine it with my land activities. It's almost like a whole different game. It's perfect for me as I don't mega base, not sure how megabasers would deal with a stretched out world.

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 3

The thing I liked about donut worlds is the biomes are large and meaty. Not stringy and not flanked on either side by ocean within 2 screens. It felt like a real chunk of landmass with some depth to it. Unfortunately it just took too long for me to walk around and I'm not huge on sailing. I should try them out again, but I'm pretty settled on loop always branch random. It's given me the only actual world variety I've ever been able to get, and often with really useful land branches that aren't just starting from the base of the landmass.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 8:00 PM, hoppin mandrake said:

Also I can't play as Webber because the screech from spiders is even more annoying than Walter's voice.

I've actually made a Spider Muter on the workshop because of that issue. Makes him a whole lot more playable.

• Like 1

Klei servers need to have classic resources by default. Very few players actually like twiggy trees or grass gekkos. Most players hate them and are willing to regen worlds that have them in the hopes of getting classic resources. Juicy berry bushes are at least a sidegrade if not an upgrade and should maybe have a separate config, but Klei's dedicated servers really need to stop having non-classic resources. 

Meant to post that in Maxwell Memes

Anyways Nightmare Werepig is an interesting concept and fight but the drops fall short, given how thulecite gear is right next door.

Also Wurt is the most fun character in the game, no competition.

wurt.png.683ca2a17765929dd824e2b6f82c33e0.png

Edited by AveHortor
Wrong forum
  • Like 2
  • GL Happy 6

hot take: wurt is overrated as hell, she is Maxwell with a year of setup time and without his most powerful prison ability

so what you have now is worse Maxwell but you can't eat the best foods in the game and you have slightly better thermals and you can move 25% faster during 20% of the year (when it's raining and you can hold a cane instead of an umbralla)

all of this is ignoring that Maxwell can read books, making him the best farmer in the game and giving him bees(especially replacing Webber but without nurse spiders), tempering temperatures (lessening the need for weather equipment),on tentacles, making up for wurts theoretically unlimited army and some more books I'm sure I'm forgetting

• Like 4

Hi. I think the game needs to cut out a few things but the stubborness of old players and developers' centered idea of ignoring new players make it almost impossible to happen.

I'm digging the game recently, but there are some serious unnecessary things that make this game unnecessarily complex, specially for new players. Some stuff were clearly added for the sake of being added with no further refining.

That's my hot take :-? I hope there is one or another dev that look at it and do those QoL tweaks.

Edited by Dandefender
  • Like 1
  • Potato Cup 1

1 hour ago, Retepeter said:

hot take: wurt is overrated as hell, she is Maxwell with a year of setup time and without his most powerful prison ability

To be fair she's better at fighting non-aoe bosses like bee queen, and she could be faster chopping trees because of how fast merms can kill tree guards.

3 hours ago, _zwb said:

To be fair she's better at fighting non-aoe bosses like bee queen, and she could be faster chopping trees because of how fast merms can kill tree guards.

max can do bq somewhat earlier, you only need dreadstone/thule stuff, bat bat/thule club and 40 cooked cactus, still faster than getting enough merms and max can use merms in late-game too because glasses mustache hat

Edited by grm9

On 11/18/2023 at 4:10 PM, AveHortor said:

Nightmare Werepig drops fall short, given how thulecite gear is right next door.

they're very good for wanda/max at least, since that's an infinite thule crown/armor without the forcefield/increased durability in comparison to the hat and other characters can still use them as daily armor with 90% abs that repairs through sanity instead of hunger, unlike eye helm/shield

Edited by grm9

3 hours ago, _zwb said:

if you kill treeguards manually then that's irrelevant since they don't lose much chopping time

unless a few servants get smacked but they're easily resummonable unlike merm guards who take a day and will all stop working if a treeguard is nearby

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grm9 said:

they're very good for wanda/max at least, since that's an infinite thule crown/armor without the forcefield/increased durability in comparison to the hat and other characters can still use them as daily armor with 90% abs that repairs through sanity instead of hunger, unlike eye helm/shield

I mean you're right, but I don't play those characters. They're not fun to play at all imo. The best aspect is probably the dreadstone armor with a brightshade helmet for the best endgame build at 90% DR 15 Planar. Other than that, I just don't see a purpose of using it over the Terraria armor set. 

Edited by AveHortor

2 hours ago, AveHortor said:

The best aspect is probably the dreadstone armor with a brightshade helmet for the best endgame build at 90% DR 15 Planar.

erm actually the best lategame planar combination is dreadstone body and void cowl bc they both share shadow affinities that stack

so you get 92% and 20% + 15 planar defense against shadows

45 minutes ago, lenship2 said:

erm actually the best lategame planar combination is dreadstone body and void cowl bc they both share shadow affinities that stack

so you get 92% and 20% + 15 planar defense against shadows

That is why I said probably because I don't look into stuff like that. Also, I was talking about general purpose. Not a specific type.

Edited by AveHortor

6 hours ago, grm9 said:

max can do bq somewhat earlier, you only need dreadstone/thule stuff, bat bat/thule club and 40 cooked cactus, still faster than getting enough merms and max can use merms in late-game too because glasses mustache hat

He can only use normal merms, which are half as efficent to feed, dont have the 50 damage threshold, have less health and are not immune to fear.

You still need Wurt for glasses.

Wurt. She is the queen of lategame, merms are able to farm most bosses you want to repeatedly kill. Worst case scenario, drastically speeding up boss fights while netting you tons of frog legs and fish. Merms can go to war with each other for fish and frog legs which are abundantly useful for many things, both able to be converted into edible food for Wurt and more. Each warrior merm house is worth it. They respawn in half a day, and still come out in Winter if you torch their houses.

Having 6 merms follow you around at once is very cheap and can deal with almost all everyday encounters you face, while being useful utility wise. It is subjective if she is fun, though i reccomend trying this playstyle for her.

6 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

You still need Wurt for glasses.

just swap after crafting 

4 hours ago, AveHortor said:

I just don't see a purpose of using it over the Terraria armor set. 

are you referring to planar armor this way? i was mostly talking about early-game

11 minutes ago, grm9 said:

is FW going to drop half a bone armor now 

Why would fw, one of the bosses without hp bloat, need hp tunning?

I'd prefer something like the woven shadows get a small reduction but given his low hp, he doesn't need less hp (or less loot).

Wait, actually why not?

If he was to get a significant reduction why not have him drop a (unique bone) that can be used to craft the helmet or bone armor.

That's how every single solo ds boss is handled (off the top of my head). Where you get to pick what drop you craft. Although that may take more work so meh. As I said, fw doesn't need an hp reduction, his mechanics should be handled like Klaus though imo.

Edited by HowlVoid

26 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Why would fw, one of the bosses without hp bloat, need hp tunning?

i thought you meant reducing all bosses' hp and not just specific ones', there are other bosses without much loot to reduce tho, the most you can do with dfly is make her guaranteed to drop one gem of each type instead of two 

Edited by grm9

7 minutes ago, grm9 said:

i thought you meant reducing all bosses' hp and not just specific ones', there are others which haven't much loot to reduce tho, the most you can do with dfly is make her guaranteed to drop one gem of each type instead of two 

My mind always immediately goes to bee queen... Too many jelly beans and you have to go through 25k hp for another hat. I could always make a big arena or catapults but my worlds don't last that long.

9 minutes ago, grm9 said:

do you mean spawning a specific amount of woven shadows and unseen hands per player in tye arena?

I don't have issue with the unseen hands.

Woven shadows could get a reduction in numbers or in the amount they heal fw. I have been told a lot that it's because of poor console controls that it's easy to mess up and have fw almost heal all the dmg you've done to him. 

Still, I don't fight him often and I really dislike bosses with a lot of Regen/self-healing. It feels like a cheap way to increase the difficulty imo. 

I thinks it's something like 500hp per woven shadow? That's so much... 

Edit: it's 400, still a lot

Edited by HowlVoid