Your Dont Starve Together Hot Takes

18 hours ago, Dandefender said:

Hi. I think the game needs to cut out a few things but the stubborness of old players and developers' centered idea of ignoring new players make it almost impossible to happen.

I'm digging the game recently, but there are some serious unnecessary things that make this game unnecessarily complex, specially for new players. Some stuff were clearly added for the sake of being added with no further refining.

That's my hot take :-? I hope there is one or another dev that look at it and do those QoL tweaks.

Literally no one questioned this, but I'm actually curious

What things are unnecessarily complex? It's just such a vague "hot take" that I could agree or disagree completely lol

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

I think the game's complexness is great, it sorta wraps around to the chess theme because you need to know all the options (moves)and choose the best one and you have to do this for every situation

lemme give an example: I think new players know that cactus is great for sanity, and knowing that maybe you could cook taffy when you have a lot of honey is the next step, and an (subjectively) advanced player knows to kill shadows and then there're also the advanced "openings" such as rushing ruins and lunar and such

• Like 3
  • Wavey 1

Overhauling the combat system's backend just to nerf Wanda's whip was not only a colossal waste of time and effort but it actively made the game just a little bit worse.

Heirloom rarity is the absolute most pointless thing about the cosmetics and doesn't need to exist.

I really hate that you can store food in Wilson's beard. Just why, man? He deserves better than that, come on now.

World generation is more varied and fun in single player. DST's only advantage is how customizable it is.

Moose/goose didn't need to spawn all over the map.

As cute as grass gekkos are I really hate that they spawn from normal grass.

Any Wurt skin where her nostrils aren't asymmetrical is weird and I don't like them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkey Cups said:

Heirloom rarity is the absolute most pointless thing about the cosmetics and doesn't need to exist.

I'll one up you here. Heirloom rarity is actively nonsensical. 

It is more economically efficient to buy a dozen heirloom distinguished or such items, convert them into spools and weave them into any item you want then to actively buy the item you want from the marketplace or engage with the Klei store.

Skill trees are the best addition to DST.

As an MMORPG player, I simply adore being able to pick and choose which abilities I want on my character.

Also, it's not cheating to turn off or adjust certain things in the world settings. It is an intended part of the game.

image.png.bfa74c47a73676aa3cf293e274b904e6.png

• Like 4
  • GL Happy 1

29 minutes ago, Nikki Darks said:

Skill trees are the best addition to DST.

As an MMORPG player, I simply adore being able to pick and choose which abilities I want on my character.

Also, it's not cheating to turn off or adjust certain things in the world settings. It is an intended part of the game.

image.png.bfa74c47a73676aa3cf293e274b904e6.png

"your world, your rules !"

• Like 1

One of the things I really hate the most about DST is how everything is geared towards expecting the player to have other players in the game with them to help them out, I Understand that DST is a Multiplayer game and Klei obviously wanted to make DST fun for a group, they even admit this themselves in their road maps that most their content focus had been on “Group based Challenges”

But the thing is- As someone coming over from the Original Don’t Starve into DST, I’m not a fan of those group based challenges.. and I don’t really know how to better explain it..

In Solo DS & it’s two DLCs WHEN I died that was due to my lack of skill or knowledge about the game, but I do not get that same feeling while playing DST because all I ever end up feeling is like: “If I just had as little as 1 Wendy or Wolfgang player this long overly drawn out fight would be over so much faster..”

And when DST was originally released as ONLY being a Multiplayer Stand-Alone expansion to the same identical single player experience, that was okay and I accepted that. But over the years… DSTs development course has changed-

And what was ONCE just DS but with other players, grew into something more of a Sequel- With TONS of new content, Mobs, Weapons, Character Reworks, New Abilities, Skill Trees, and more.

But yet the game (at least for me..) still remains to be unnecessarily unenjoyable.

Like- I don’t feel this desire to “Get better at the game” when I die to a swarm of cookie cutters that Stunlock me to death on a tiny boat platform, all it does is frustrates me that if I had more players on the boat with me, they would be able to help kill the swarm of otherwise infinite stun locking..

Maybe that’s just a “Me” Thing, maybe there are people out there who enjoy tackling multiplayer designed content Alone and somehow coming out victorious.

But as someone who in general enjoys Roguelikes/Lites that are difficult, but fairly geared towards a solo player I feel like trying to play DST Alone is just.. idk, it makes you ANGRY when you die fighting a boss knowing the fight would have gone over a lot easier with as little as a standing idle Wendy’s petal buff damage boost..

And I feel like Klei just hasn’t given DST the proper treatment it deserves, in this regard.. in a game where almost every feature is toggleable/customizable why can’t we choose exactly how many Electric Rolling Worms appear in the Archives?

fighting one worm alone is kinda fun, Fighting three at the same time makes you angry and feel like you needed to go to an MMORPG hub and invite other players to join your raid party before tackling a difficult dungeon.

and this is NOT DON’T STARVE (well it feels like it is now.. but that’s besides the point..)  I feel like the game would be far more enjoyable for me if things could be downscaled (such as boss health, regeneration, amount of swarm mobs that can spawn, etc..)

Recently I’ve been playing ALOT of Killing Floor 2 and while this is a FPS… I still love how the amount of zombies and health/damage of the bosses scale based on how many players join or leave the session.

Borderlands, a 2009 drop in, Drop out coop looter shooter had mob scaling..

so for DST to lack this technology is just pure frustrating..

And again, when DST first released as the exact same game as solo DS but now with multiplayer, this was acceptable, but now… now there’s a ton of lore and content you miss out on if you DONT  play DST…

And I just feel like there are ways Klei could better handle players transitioning over from the lonely single player game that was Dont Starve, into the purely multiplayer focused sequel that is DST.

And no I don’t feel like needing to gather a few elf’s and orcs at the inn keepers bar before I can tackle a quest is the right way to go about it.

Thats my hot take. (Love it or hate it.)

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

One of the things I really hate the most about DST is how everything is geared towards expecting the player to have other players in the game with them to help them out, I Understand that DST is a Multiplayer game and Klei obviously wanted to make DST fun for a group, they even admit this themselves in their road maps that most their content focus had been on “Group based Challenges”

But the thing is- As someone coming over from the Original Don’t Starve into DST, I’m not a fan of those group based challenges.. and I don’t really know how to better explain it..

In Solo DS & it’s two DLCs WHEN I died that was due to my lack of skill or knowledge about the game, but I do not get that same feeling while playing DST because all I ever end up feeling is like: “If I just had as little as 1 Wendy or Wolfgang player this long overly drawn out fight would be over so much faster..”

And when DST was originally released as ONLY being a Multiplayer Stand-Alone expansion to the same identical single player experience, that was okay and I accepted that. But over the years… DSTs development course has changed-

And what was ONCE just DS but with other players, grew into something more of a Sequel- With TONS of new content, Mobs, Weapons, Character Reworks, New Abilities, Skill Trees, and more.

But yet the game (at least for me..) still remains to be unnecessarily unenjoyable.

Like- I don’t feel this desire to “Get better at the game” when I die to a swarm of cookie cutters that Stunlock me to death on a tiny boat platform, all it does is frustrates me that if I had more players on the boat with me, they would be able to help kill the swarm of otherwise infinite stun locking..

Maybe that’s just a “Me” Thing, maybe there are people out there who enjoy tackling multiplayer designed content Alone and somehow coming out victorious.

But as someone who in general enjoys Roguelikes/Lites that are difficult, but fairly geared towards a solo player I feel like trying to play DST Alone is just.. idk, it makes you ANGRY when you die fighting a boss knowing the fight would have gone over a lot easier with as little as a standing idle Wendy’s petal buff damage boost..

And I feel like Klei just hasn’t given DST the proper treatment it deserves, in this regard.. in a game where almost every feature is toggleable/customizable why can’t we choose exactly how many Electric Rolling Worms appear in the Archives?

fighting one worm alone is kinda fun, Fighting three at the same time makes you angry and feel like you needed to go to an MMORPG hub and invite other players to join your raid party before tackling a difficult dungeon.

and this is NOT DON’T STARVE (well it feels like it is now.. but that’s besides the point..)  I feel like the game would be far more enjoyable for me if things could be downscaled (such as boss health, regeneration, amount of swarm mobs that can spawn, etc..)

Recently I’ve been playing ALOT of Killing Floor 2 and while this is a FPS… I still love how the amount of zombies and health/damage of the bosses scale based on how many players join or leave the session.

Borderlands, a 2009 drop in, Drop out coop looter shooter had mob scaling..

so for DST to lack this technology is just pure frustrating..

And again, when DST first released as the exact same game as solo DS but now with multiplayer, this was acceptable, but now… now there’s a ton of lore and content you miss out on if you DONT  play DST…

And I just feel like there are ways Klei could better handle players transitioning over from the lonely single player game that was Dont Starve, into the purely multiplayer focused sequel that is DST.

And no I don’t feel like needing to gather a few elf’s and orcs at the inn keepers bar before I can tackle a quest is the right way to go about it.

I wish my real life friends played dst. It would be hard to get them to try it.

• Big Ups 1

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I on the other hand love these kinds of games. I enjoy the challenge of soloing what's meant to be a team effort. Taking down crab king with lots of planning and strategy all on your own is very satsifying. I'm not a fan of speedrunning like a lot of people seem to be with this game.

• Potato Cup 1

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

DST has never been done for solo. So it's not worth waiting for Klei solo content in DST.
Maybe they will think about it if their priorities change from multiplayer to singleplayer, but we will see it in the next 10 years and we will see it in this game.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

DS with free dlc's

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

DST is one of the easiest roguelike ( although it can 't even be called a good roguelike )

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

And strengthen those parts of the game that were more violent in DS. In DST, anything was buffed and weakened, which makes the game and survival in solo toothless and monotonous. And all because of the multiplayer rewarks that were made for multiplayer, but for solo players it's all the same

• Shopcat 2

1 minute ago, Hungry French said:

DST has never been done for solo. So it's not worth waiting for Klei solo content in DST.
Maybe they will think about it if their priorities change from multiplayer to singleplayer, but we will see it in the next 10 years and we will see it in this game.

Game development takes time, they’re busy with adding the content into the game and coming up with ideas on how to further expand on the playable characters playstyles with skill trees, I’m pretty sure that ALOT of things are being passed up to focus on certain things first, before they can circle back around and tackle things they maybe want to do with the game.. but just haven’t had time to fit it into their schedule yet.

I can respectfully understand that, and I even don’t mind waiting however long it takes to get good quality content that works the way Klei expects it to- However.. and rather unfortunately, that also means that they often add content that feels unfinished, unpolished, or shoved aside and forgotten- Moon Quay is a prime example, first release was poorly received, the “fixes” pretty much just buried the entire concept to be forgotten about- But I think that with time to go back and fine tune things, Klei will.

They recently added both 40% less damage taken from all sources, 40% more damage taken from all sources, and a world option where Dying at all instantly deletes your world save- just like it did in solo DS!

So I strongly feel confident that I can say: with enough time & dedication to it, Klei will be able to tweak/modify elements of the game.

Right now though- I’m pretty sure they’re focus is on Rift content & Skill Trees before we get another Massive QoL that focuses on tweaking & fine tuning already existing parts of the game.

Just be patient, and hey if I’m wrong, you can run it in my face later by telling everyone. *shrugs*

Overall though- Despite all the complaining I (seemingly) do on these forums, I wouldn’t be here at all if I did not have faith that Klei would deliver on the majority of fan expectations.

The only thing I DO worry about is which part of their fanbase is the majority? and where does the “end game” gameplay loop go from there?

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The only thing that distinguishes DS and DST is that DS was abandoned in a raw state with a bad engine and bugs, and DST was fixed for 7 years in a row and supplemented the empty parts of the game.
In addition, Klei simplify multiplayer as much as possible. Reworks of characters, trees of talents who needs it in all seriousness.

And Klei is still on the transition of players from single player to DST. This is a multiplayer game with balance, generation, reworked characters and mechanics, and even new content is mostly made for multiplayer.

Everything is simple for them. DS is advertised as a solo game. DST as a multiplayer. 
And the fact that these games are in UNFAIR conditions does not bother them.

Like, think about it. They continued the plot for the sake of multiplayer and made Survival Together the main slogan of the game.

Survival alone in DST is just as not logical as going through adventure mode for any character except Wilsona.

We are waiting for the next attempt to create a solo experience ( If Klei can stop being addicted to multiplayer. )  or tolerate what Klei do for multiplayer.

Multiplayer is literally a thing that, although it supports the existence of the franchise, but when the time comes to do "something else", then Klei has almost no choice.

They literally have to suck out the DST until the end, and then what?

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can respectfully understand that, and I even don’t mind waiting however long it takes to get good quality content that works the way Klei expects it to- However.. and rather unfortunately, that also means that they often add content that feels unfinished, unpolished, or shoved aside and forgotten- Moon Quay is a prime example, first release was poorly received, the “fixes” pretty much just buried the entire concept to be forgotten about- But I think that with time to go back and fine tune things, Klei will.

After what I saw in DS, complaining about DST updates looks stupid to me. If this is an update that complements the world, and not a change in mechanics that no one asked for.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

world option where Dying at all instantly deletes your world save- just like it did in solo DS!

You're talking about a mode in which after death you can choose a character and appear on the same map where you died, but without the explored map...

It would be better if the game had a ghost-free mode. So that the mechanics of rebirth would be the same as in DS.
A meat scarecrow is expensive, removes 30 of maximum health, and a red amulet cannot be revived if you do not wear it.
Old sleep mechanics, etc.
It was both more difficult and more interesting for solo.
I am silent about generation.

In order for Klei to make a balanced, interesting and challenging experience for solo, they need 90% mechanics and generation to rewrite. 
But doing it for free for a little ( ? ) parts of the audience will be hidden. 
There are more chances for a new game than for a normal solo DST...

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Just be patient, and hey if I’m wrong, you can run it in my face later by telling everyone. *shrugs*

I do not believe that Klei will want to change the DST in the right direction. There was hope for this in 2016-2017. She's not here now.

I don't even think Klei will do anything even if she releases the latest content update tomorrow.

Or in 10 years. Although by that time I may get tired of waiting for something from Klei.

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So I strongly feel confident that I can say: with enough time & dedication to it, Klei will be able to tweak/modify elements of the game.

image.png.bb3307f95e370e5827ee457b8bd9b122.png

For 7 years this item has no functionality for solo.

Do you think Klei will fix it and do solo in the next 8 years?

2 minutes ago, JustAFlower said:

You locked a topic with literally no replies while insulting Klei to the ground just because you're not happy.

I thought that he got banned and his topics got locked as a result. Sad to see him again.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

Just now, JustAFlower said:

You locked a topic with literally no replies while insulting Klei to the ground just because you're not happy.

First of all , how do you know if it offended Klei or not ?
It's not up to you to decide what offends them and what doesn't.

Secondly, you also tried to insult me because you are not happy.
Think about your behavior.

Thirdly, you now want to spoil this topic with our senseless disagreements.
Stop being a hater.

4 minutes ago, Hungry French said:

First of all , how do you know if it offended Klei or not ?
It's not up to you to decide what offends them and what doesn't.

Secondly, you also tried to insult me because you are not happy.
Think about your behavior.

Thirdly, you now want to spoil this topic with our senseless disagreements.
Stop being a hater.

I don't think that one reacts positively or does nothing when they get insulted. Also, they locked the topic and you're literally admitting that you insulted them.

I'm not happy towards YOUR behavior. I'm probably younger than you but I'm surprised I'm wiser and calmer.

I'm spoiling the topic ? You just above said again, how "incompetence" klei is at making a video-game. 

Edited by JustAFlower

3 minutes ago, Valase said:

I thought that he got banned and his topics got locked as a result. Sad to see him again.

What a friendly community Don't Starve has. 
In principle, is it possible to expect good from a random PERSON with Deadly Nightshade at profile photo.

You jerk guy.

• Shopcat 1

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

it makes you ANGRY when you die fighting a boss knowing the fight would have gone over a lot easier with as little as a standing idle Wendy’s petal buff damage boost..

no it doesn't, that's just an issue with you because you're thinking of ways others could've made the game easier for you instead of thinking about how to solve issues on your own, everything in the game is entirely fair when playing solo in comparison to multiplayer and, imo, solo is how difficult the game should be, with multiplayer being the easy mode with bosses dying in less than a minute with 6 players 

Edited by grm9
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hungry French said:

What a friendly community Don't Starve has. 
In principle, is it possible to expect good from a random PERSON with Deadly Nightshade at profile photo.

You jerk guy.

I really don't care what you do and I just ignore you but I can see that you've acquired a negative reputation on this board due to the fact that you seem to enjoy arguing in bad faith and emit a certain hostility in arguing your opinions, which you often seem to misconstrue as facts.

Try being more friendly and acknowledge that not everyone is going to share the same opinions as you and that sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by hoppin mandrake
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JustAFlower said:

I don't think that one reacts positively or does nothing when they get insulted. Also, they locked the topic and you're literally admitting that you insulted them.

They closed the post because the post was a complaint that I don't dislike that there are no updates in the DS. This is their message to me

6 minutes ago, JustAFlower said:

I'm not happy towards YOUR behavior. I'm probably younger than you but I'm surprised I'm wiser and calmer.

You are literally showing pride in front of me right now .
That's just your opinion. Nothing else.

9 minutes ago, JustAFlower said:

I'm spoiling the topic ? You just above said again, how "incompetence" klei is at making a video-game. 

You're complaining here about DST updates and the fact that the mechanics don't work the way you want. 
This too can be read as what you consider Klei incompetence.
It all depends on the point of view and opinion.

2 minutes ago, hoppin mandrake said:

I really don't care what you do and I just ignore you but I can see that you've acquired a negative reputation on this board due to the fact that you seem to enjoy arguing in bad faith and emit a certain hostility in arguing your opinions, which you often seem to misconstrue as facts.

Try being more friendly and acknowledge that not everyone is going to share the same opinions as you and that sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

I am the most friendly person.
And who better than me to know that people may not share my opinion.
The problem is that people try to impose their opinion on me, and if they can't, they start trolling, hating or threatening.

Everything is simple with Valase. He's sad that I wasn't banned.
Do I have to kiss his feet because he wants me to be banned?