[Game Update] - Public Testing 522820

• Developer

U43 Gif.gif

Hey friends,

We’re ready to start public testing for our next update!

This will be the first in ONI’s new series of ongoing updates. If you missed the post explaining why we decided to release consistent updates instead of a DLC2, you can read all about that here

We’re debuting a new Story Trait system, adding a new Room type (Kitchen) and introducing a new building (Spice Grinder). These additions are designed for both the base game and Spaced Out! DLC. 

In Spaced Out!, Plug Slugs gain a new refined metal diet and have received some additional tuning to make it easier to maximize their output—details in the patch notes. We’ve also added two new Plug Slug morphs: the Smog Slug and the Sponge Slug. 

Both versions of ONI have also gotten lots of bug fixes, polishing and more. 

We expect this beta to be a bit bumpier than usual. We’re experimenting by starting our beta sooner so that we can iron out more bugs for release. If you find the earlier stages of a beta release frustrating, you may want to wait for the all-clear from other players before you jump in. 

For those of you that are looking to help us get things in the best shape possible for release, please send your bug reports here

This update is also helping us figure out the scope and timing of our new approach to expanding the ONI universe—we’ll be posting an updated roadmap once we have a clear sense of it all.

Thanks for your support! 

Here’s what you’ll find in the public testing branch so far: 

Spoiler

Features

• All versions
    • Added Story Trait system and UI.
    • Added Somnium Synthesizer Story Trait.
    • Added Critter Flux-O-Matic Story Trait.
    • Added Kitchen room type.
    • Added Spice Grinder building (Freshener Spice recipe, Brawny Spice recipe, Machinist Spice recipe).
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Added Smog Slug critter morph.
    • Added Sponge Slug critter morph.
    • Added Rocketeer Spice recipe to Spice Grinder.

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • Critters now queue for ranching while another one is being groomed.
    • Build menu shows room requirement information such as Industrial Machine and Recreational Building.
    • Hand Sanitizer no longer requires Bleach Stone to build; instead it must be delivered after being built.
    • Clothing Refashionator fabrication errands now rely on the Decorating errand type.
    • Duplicant helmets are now visible in suit fabrication UI for recipes that produce equipment with helmets.
    • Added scrollbar to overlay legend UI.
    • Made camera panning speed consistent regardless of frame rate.
    • Added the ability to toggle "Spiced Food Only" in the Refrigerator.
    • Database
      • Added a drops section to critter entries in the Database.
      • The critter description text that shows up in the details panel on select now also shows up in the Database.
      • Added a Food Effects entry to Database.
      • Database entries for food now shows the food's effects (if any).
      • Added Table Salt entry to Database.
      • Added Story Traits category to Database.
    • Modding:
      • Refactored TagBits usage, removing Prefab ID from tags.
        • TagBits has been reduced to 256 bits.
        • The prefab’s ID (KPrefabID.PrefabTag) will no longer be contained in KPrefabID.tags (and KPrefabID.Tags by extension).
        • KPrefabID.HasTag (and etc) will now also check the prefab’s ID to maintain compatibility with existing code.
        • TagBits will continue to exist for now, but using it for comparison will no longer match against the prefab ID. 
        • Any code that previously used TagBits to compare many different prefab IDs (Fetch chores, filtered storage) against prefabs now uses a HashSet of IDs, which will only match against the prefab ID (for performance reasons). For fetch chores, the required tag and forbidden tag facilities can still be used to match against a prefab’s non-ID tags. 
      • Increased maximum number of supported elements. The type for storing element indices has changed from byte to ushort. 
      • Removed previously deprecated "featureTemplates" setting from worldgen. It was primarily used in world traits. Use "additionalWorldTemplateRules" instead.
      • FMOD major version upgrade to 2.02.07. EventRef was removed and replaced with new class EventReference.
  • Base game only
    • It is now possible to rename rockets by selecting their command module.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • It is now possible to rename Spaced Out! Rockets by selecting their command module or selecting them in the Starmap while in flight.
    • Plug Slugs
      • Plug Slugs now have a refined metal diet in addition to metal ore.
      • Plug Slugs become drowsy just before night time and start finding a place to sleep.
      • Plug Slugs no longer drown.
      • Tuning changes
        • Happiness no longer affects power efficiency.
        • Simplified hunger levels and increased their efficiency. They produce full power when more than 50% full.
        • When tamed, their minimum power output is 40W—the same as when wild.
    • Changed names of custom difficulty settings for Radiation.
    • Removed Enable/Disable DLC beta toggle from the Game Options Menu. DLC toggling continues to be available in the main menu.

Fixes

• All versions
    • Fixed issue where dragging was not properly disabled during auto saving, causing build and dig commands to stretch across the asteroid.
    • Fixed multiple meteor showers sometimes occurring at the same time. 
    • Stuck packets in a Thermo Regulator storage no longer transfer heat directly. This makes it consistent with how the Aquatuner works.
    • Disabled unused elements Electrum, Propane, Syngas.
    • Fixed Outhouses not showing "visits" remaining on load game.
    • Fixed issue where bottles dropped from Canister Fillers using the Empty Storage button were not deliverable to Canister Emptiers with Auto Bottling turned off.
    • Fixed crash during monument victory sequence if monuments or Printing Pods are missing.
    • Fixed filter sidescreen sizing when displaying missing strings.
    • Fixed memory leak in Sticker Bomber.
    • Fixed missing Sticker Bomber locomotion animation.
    • Fixed an issue that allowed Duplicants to build or deconstruct rotated buildings even if the building was separated by a row of tiles and appeared to be unreachable.
    • POI building activation side screen now hides after the building has been activated .
    • Transit Tubes
      • Fixed a bug where Duplicants traveling on Transit Tubes that pass through certain environments would cause them to get eye irritation.
      • Fixed a bug where deconstructing a Transit Tube that had a Duplicant stuck inside of it would not free the Duplicant.
      • Fixed a bug where a Duplicant stuck in a Transit Tube would lose the immunities granted by the tube when the game was saved and reloaded, causing it to be exposed to the environment.
    • Fixed crash loading the game if it's installed at a path with a $ or ^ present.
    • Fixed a bug where dragging the mouse out of the game window while in the Research screen would still move the screen even when the focused application was no longer Oxygen Not Included.
    • The Bunker Door and Security Doors now display the correct title instead of 'MISSING.'
    • Hookup hammer strike sound for Liquid Oxidizer Tank and Solid Oxidizer Tank.
    • Restore UI sounds after entering the Temporal Tear.
    • Minor GPU performance improvement to MRT draws.
  • Base game only
    • Moved diagnostic sound events to the base game.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Fixed thermodynamics near edges of some asteroids. This fixes volcanoes freezing elements.
    • Fixed artifacts being destroyed when landing on some planets. 
    • Fixed crash when swapping a rocket interior while paused and trying to view the interior.
    • Gas Grass plants are no longer eligible for the Exuberant mutation.
    • Fish Feeders can toggle allow/forbid mutant seeds.
    • Fixed incorrect tooltip when trying to build a module that would exceed an engine's height limit.
    • Optimized chore sorting by world and reduced number of redundant chores being processed

What is public testing?

"Public testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the public testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an public tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the public testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Ninja 1
  • Health 4
  • Big Ups 4
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

• Fixed an issue that allowed Duplicants to build or deconstruct rotated buildings even if the building was separated by a row of tiles and appeared to be unreachable.

Goodbye sweet heat spike building technique. You'll be missed as a trivial way to get through the superconductive asteroid or building efficient magma biome steam rooms. o7

• Spool 1

Please add some challenging endgame mechanics in 2023/2024 - Like welding sparks/combustion/fire/explosions, friendly/hostile space visitors, planet atmosphere dynamic weather ( flooding, lightning, sand storms etc. ), mechanical parts, vehicles, chemical reactions, CoOp Multiplayer, intergalactic space station microwave power distribution network, mega thick cables and pipes etc....as some game mechanic and content examples.

"Challenging Rimworld Style Game Mechanic Additions." >>> For endgame players which need real hazards and true game mechanic challenges. These can be optional and turned on/off, I would love to enable a dynamic threat system which scales with the player power and might.

Please add some dynamic challenges and scaling threats, for players at +10000 cycles.

If it only will be soft and cuddly Ken&Barbie updates over the next year, them I`m out for now. Many thanks. :p

The moaning industrial plutonium player...babba :anonymous:

P.S.

In my dreams I can build "space train tunnels" between all the colonies, to shift resources via trains...chu chuuuuuu ! :lol:

Edited by babba

1 hour ago, JarrettM said:
  • Added the ability to toggle "Spiced Food Only" in the Refrigerator.
  •  

Since this is possible for refrigerators, and since this update seems to be focusing in part on cooking, can we please get a "Tame Eggs Only" toggle for egg crackers?  Also, would you guys consider making food storage a Food Supply errand in addition to it being a Supply errand?  Kitchen management would run a lot smoother if the chef could store the food he cooks in the refrigerator without also being tempted to run across the map to make a construction supply delivery.

• Like 2
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 1

1 minute ago, Primalflower said:

image.png.085738c9545216ec9b4dce2ff953edc2.png

they're just too adorable. I can't take it!! these eccentric morphs absolutely must find a home in my colony somewhere, even if the use case doesn't instantly pop out at me.

If you don't mind spoiling us, what do the new slugs do?

11 minutes ago, goboking said:

If you don't mind spoiling us, what do the new slugs do?

Forgive me if I'm short on the details, but the Smog Slug sucks up unbreathable gases, and then exhales them during the night into a gas pipe, and the sponge slug soaks up any liquid, and then deposits it into a liquid pipe as they sleep. Both of them have a temperature range of -30 to 90c, and drop 3,200 kcal upon death.

Edited by Primalflower
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Health 1
  • GL Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Forgive me if I'm short on the details, but the Smog Slug sucks up unbreathable gases, and then exhales them during the night, and the sponge slug soaks up any liquid, and then deposits it into a liquid pipe as they sleep. Both of them have a temperature range of -30 to 90c, and drop 3,200 kcal upon death.

Interesting.  Does the smog slug release the gas it inhales into gas pipes the way the sponge slug does liquids?

I admire the fans of total cuddliness :lol: Can I at least have concrete vehicle slabs and steel tunnel girders in the game :confused::confused::confused:

Guess I need to wait ( loooong time ) for something new industrial :bee:

Give me at least some autopilot fitting for rockets, in order to drop the crew requirement...To collect space resources in the dlc like in the old base game ! :confused: @Ipsquiggle :p

I`m ducking down now, back to the bunker... :ghost:

Edited by babba
  • Haha 1
  • Health 1

It's scrolling too fast! Game's achieved "never before heard of performance" on my old save! Somebody stole the training wheels!

On other news, feeding superheated liquids to vents using more than one input now causes busted pipes... so it's back to the drawing board for some steam chamber refill schemes...

• Like 1
  • GL Happy 1

9 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Added scrollbar to overlay legend UI.

Is this scroll bar for the materials on the right side of the screen?

Honestly I get screwed over at end game because my materials fall below the screen to the point I can't even get into the material list anymore.

7 hours ago, babba said:

Please add some challenging endgame mechanics in 2023/2024

7 hours ago, babba said:

explosions

Exploding batteries making a comeback?

Bad dupes gonna have a new burial.......I mean task refitting room now.

8 hours ago, SGT_Imalas said:

well, there is a mod that does that, also you can throw out the pilot after start via pioneer module and the rocket will be autonomous aswell

I am afraid I don`t play with mods, due to game stability. The dlc game still crashes now and then, due to much stuff going on in my game. In general I am a player of the un-modded base game dlc.

I found the way of resource collection nice in the base game, without messing around with rocket interiors or crews. I just want to gather space resources like in the base game, that was far less rocket micro management.

7 hours ago, Primalflower said:

can we have some images of such things? I'm not sure what you meaan :dog: @babba

Hello my friend :p I`ll take any industrial content :cheerful:

Hopefully ipsquiggle has locked himself in for a year and will then come out with amazing stuff, I just need to wait a year :ghost:

Edited by babba
  • Health 1

6 minutes ago, babba said:

I am afraid I don`t play with mods, due to game stability. The dlc game still crashes now and then, due to much stuff going on in my game. In general I am a player of the un-modded base game dlc.

I believe it's fully vanilla: make rocket with trailblazer, launch it to orbit, land dupe back on your home and now your rocket can fly without a pilot. Slower, but always.

Edited by pether