The Fuelweaver could use a QoL update

The fuelweaver is perfectly designed for multiplayer. But he is slightly too overwhelming for solos.

I would propose fuelweaver can only summon shadow shield when there's 2 or more people fighting, that way it can be still hard if you don't manage the small ones, but will make the fight manageable for solo players.

And for people who says get gud, I don't know if you guys are actually get gud or just watch jazzy/guille videos and think: "Hey this is easy" and never try it out yourself, it's just my suggestion for this topic, okay?

30 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

The fuelweaver is perfectly designed for multiplayer. But he is slightly too overwhelming for solos.

I would propose fuelweaver can only summon shadow shield when there's 2 or more people fighting, that way it can be still hard if you don't manage the small ones, but will make the fight manageable for solo players.

And for people who says get gud, I don't know if you guys are actually get gud or just watch jazzy/guille videos and think: "Hey this is easy" and never try it out yourself, it's just my suggestion for this topic, okay?

:) what about trying the boss yourself more than one time? or maybe you want me to upload a video of me killing the boss with wes? My friend idk how much time you have playing this game but this boss its not as hard as you think, you just need to fight it more frequently. cx

1 hour ago, Spino43 said:

everyone failed to solo him many times, they just learn from their mistakes and try again, better prepared.

Eventually it succeeds and it's a much better sense of satisfaction than asking to nerf the boss in the game forum.

How to make af fun (for solo players, yes ik its raid boss idc tho since half this playerbase plays alone):

make players not auto target the fuelweaver with their attack key when his shadow shield is up

make woven shadows heal significantly less the less players online the server

give more time inbetween phases (currently its like 10 seconds of hitting the fuelweaver before he summons hands/shadows)

I like the fuel weaver fight in theory, but in reality it's way too unforgiving. Switching between more than two items is a pain in dst, because it's very easy to mix up your hotkeys and mess up your order ect. However, I'd probably be fine with the hotbar shenanigans if fuel weaver didn't heal so relentlessly in single player. It's hard enough to prevent the heals (a weatherpain can't even guarantee anything) and when they happen it's 400 hp! I'd rather fight crab king unless I have a damage modifier. At least I can consistently control CK's healing... It's demoralizing to have all your work wiped away in a few munches.

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

everyone failed to solo him many times, they just learn from their mistakes and try again, better prepared.

Not me, I'm actually perfect and have never messed up on anything related to dst. That's right, you're talking to the world's best player. I once kited 3 terrorbeaks as Wilson with a spoiling hambat in ruins on a dedicated server. I'm an egotistical narcissist, and you better enjoy talking to me since I talk A LOT. Anyways what were we talking about? Oh yeah practice is good, it takes a while to get good at fuelweaver but watching some Guille videos and repeating the fight in a creative game is a great way to improve on the fight. Nice opinion here!

4 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I'm too used to having a controller and using a controller on PC is basically the same thing, so I'll stick to console.

But you can use mods on PC like geometric placement and force biomes (no 2nd decidios, triple mac tusk in every world is real! Same customisation is available to cave and ruin biomes), also you can upgrade PC not as a whole, but partially every time you need specific thing.

As for fingers, you can rebind controls on PC: my left hand usually reaches Tab (map), Q (rotation counter-clockwise), E (rotation clockwise), F (action), spacebar (attack, also force attack so I'm basically forever force-attacking, but I use mod to disable it for walls and beefalos (I can still attack both with mouse and spacebar held)), 1 (inventory one, also switch quick craft access page to the previous), 2 (inventory 2, also switch quick acccess page to next), 3 (inventory 3, I usually put whatever I'm switching to here), inventory 4 (same as inventory 3, sometimes I need 2 slots to switch between like during FW and BQ), R (I binded quick sould drop from corresponding mod here, as well as Abigail's summon/unsummon from another mod (latter won't work if I have no flower in the inventory, like vanilla)). I'm running exclusively with mouse and target enemies at distance with it, for example, FW with weather pain, switch Abigail behaviour, manage inventory on the fly with it as well; honestly I feel like my right arm does most of the job and is more free than left one (I have only 3 buttons on my mouse btw).

Mentioned above layout feels comfortable to me, but I needed some time to adjust because I switched default attack and action button (default are F for attack and spacebar for action), but after a week it felt like I always played with new layout (very comfortable).

The fight requires two things from a solo player:

1. Gathering a lot of materials for e.g. weather pains
  2. Inventory management

These two things are very DS/T. (Much more so than learning kiting patterns.) So the core mechanics are fine, I think. Whether some things like the healing rate or the time between shields/summons should be changed is another question.

But some disclaimers:

• I like character swapping: I’ll only fight FW as Wolfgang
  • Every time I fight him (very infrequently) I do practice runs in a creative mode world. I’ve lost to him once in a real world (didn’t die/I had revive items but I lost a lot of resources) and that upset me very much
  • Fast switching between more than two items is annoying. Good players used to fill up their empty slots with twigs or whatever in order to make things predictable. I haven’t looked in a while but it seems like more-than-three inventory management is still difficult? Well at least I struggle with it, but maybe I’m missing something.

Try the non-weather pain strat. You will notice that inventory management becomes slightly easier.

Also, not much related to the topic but.. I have an insta and permaban policy on my server for people who attack the fw while he is protected by the invincibility bubble and if people are close to him.

(I just hate getting stunlocked by another player)

I cannot understand how there's people out there who defend this atrocious boss fight just because they got used to his mechanics. Everything the op said is valid criticism, but because he's not impossible to kill apparently makes his flaws non-existent and he should just "Git Gud"

10 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

I feel like I need at least three hands for this, simply for constantly juggling your Lazy Explorer, nightmare amulet, weatherpain, heals, sanity food and weapon around

Did you know the lazy explorer isn't actually necessary? if you move fast enough away from the fw when he attacks you can completely dodge his attack. How are you meant to figure that out on your own you ask? you're not because its a bug that has never been fixed. before Return of them, you used to be able to dodge this attack by using the edge as well. Clearly a very well thought out attack.

FW ate two shadows that spawned right inside his a... Of course I'm speaking out of frustration here, but there are too many factors that add up to make this fight painfully unfair as singleplayer. 400 hp per shadow is incredibly much for max 68 damage per hit and the fact that they spawn directly under FW sometimes almost guarantes that he will heal huge chunks of health before you can react. design and general idea of the fight, but I feel like it is more about juggling tools around to an absolutely unforgiving timer right now.

and you can stop them from spawning underneath him by moving fw to the edge. The woven shadows spawn near the atrium portal, not underneath the fuelweaver. I don't blame you for not knowing this because again, it feels like a bug not something designed to be figured out by the player. His position in the atrium arena makes a huge difference in how much health he gains, yet you have no way of figuring that out and like most people you'll assume they spawn underneath the fuelweaver.

There is nothing intuitive or strategic about this, you just have a precise timeframe to press the right inventory keys, or the fight basically starts from the beginning.

This is pretty much why I hate this guy in one sentence. 

You either have to overprepare with the most random items that aren't necessary for other boss fights like what these people say :

8 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You can make spiced vgcf, switch to someone like Wolfgang, make catapults, etc if you think the fight is too hard. 

9 hours ago, Gashzer said:

if you are struggling fighting AF solo, switch to winona and build catapults around the outshirts of the arena. Switch to wolfgang,start fight, easy win.

or you abuse bugs and unintended ai glitches to beat him because fighting fuelweaver normally is an awful experience designed to be awful. That part is a fact. He was created around multiplayer, not singleplayer. If you think this bossfight is "perfect as he is" that's fine, but you are basically saying you find him fun not because he was designed to be fun solo, but because you found ways to make him fun ie , the boss isn't actually well-made or perfect, your perception of the boss is.

With the latest bosses I think dst is headed in the right direction. Celestial champion has really well telegraphed attacks and actually feels like a boss fight while the ancient guardian rework is clever and can be either really difficult or super easy. The best I can hope for is that all bosses added past this point are nothing like the fuelweaver because as long as people claim he is "perfect the way he is" no one will look into fixing him 

23 minutes ago, Ornge said:

I cannot understand how there's people out there who defend this atrocious boss fight just because they got used to his mechanics. Everything the op said is valid criticism, but because he's not impossible to kill apparently makes his flaws non-existent and he should just "Git Gud"

so the optional end game boss of a game that allows rolling back should be killed without practise? did you know that all the people that agrees that the boss is perfect have suffer learning it? if you dont want to "git gud" you have many options to make the fight easier

guy, you can use the number keys from your keyboard to equip or use items faster

we already got nerfs to hounds and monkey raids and now people ask for nerfs on bosses that you dont have to fight until you are overprepared...

Just now, lakhnish said:

To be fair, the second you have to swap between more than 2-3 items on consoles, you're kind of screwed, no?

not only that but WP and lazy explorer sucks on console

but that is a problem with how awful is the console version, not a boss with fun mechanics and only 18k health

30 minutes ago, Ornge said:

I don't think OP's criticism is valid.

I am good at Ancient FW and Pearled Crab King but I absouletly despise PCK but love AFW and there's a reason for it, despite the two being kind of the same in terms of what's involved inventory management wise.

I will write a post to show how to make FW simple, it's just taking its time atm.

I have this guide I made with all the tips for FW in the meantime.

5 hours ago, abrocator said:

Fast switching between more than two items is annoying. Good players used to fill up their empty slots with twigs or whatever in order to make things predictable. I haven’t looked in a while but it seems like more-than-three inventory management is still difficult? Well at least I struggle with it, but maybe I’m missing something.

idk why people does that, isnt necessary to fill your inventory. Just keep everything organized and dont switch items from the left side of the inventory to right side ones. Everything should be at left so there isnt empty slots between items but the ones in the right doesnt matter at all if they are empty aslong as you dont move items there

For a "final boss" of sorts, Fuel Weaver is the perfect incarnation of that. The item switching can be a little intense, but that's kind of the point. Less so with 2 players as one can take hold of killing shadow hands while the other focuses on killing the crawlers. Being well prepared is kind of the point and expected.

I hate that Crab King would need to be this intense however and it's made all the worse by the fact that in many forms, especially the blue gem one, it isn't a viable fight, and you are best off using tons of ice staves that make the whole fight seem like a cheese strategy rather than actual legitimate one, despite it being one of the only most fair ways to actually beat it, which is stupid. I's not even close to a final boss either, so it's really unprecedented to be this strong no matter how much you buff it. The fight needs to be honestly be more dynamic with CK moving around, maybe submerging and each of his attacks nerfed to be much more reasonable and not freeze you for eternity or destroy your boat with one geyser attack in an instant.

Fuel Weaver's fight is not like this, the way you beat it normally never really feels like really exploiting game mechanics unless you use gunpowder or lureplants, and the intensity is honestly justified. Winona's catapults take care of the crawlers if you'd like it made easier for yourself. Maybe the game could be better at guiding you to prepare for it, but if you're gonna fight it, you will have to be able to overcome the ruins, which is where you get the key from and on the way you can get ruins loot which will be immensely helpful during the fight, the Lazy Explorer in particular for most characters.

Of course I was expecting to get a bunch of git guds here xD

But to the people suggesting to switch characters or use jelly - of course I could and as FW beginner I maybe should, but I still think, using characters with damage modifiers should be an extra, not a requirement for boss fights. A generic Wilson should be able to deal with a boss. 

I probably just need to git gud at inventory management, but a little QoL update that adds player scaling for FWs heals and lets you auto-target the woven shadows instead of FW when his shield is up would be great.

And I watched your FW guide before, @lakhnish, and I greatly appreciate it.

1 minute ago, Falkenpelz said:

But to the people suggesting to switch characters or use jelly - of course I could and as FW beginner I maybe should, but I still think, using characters with damage modifiers should be an extra, not a requirement for boss fights. A generic Wilson should be able to deal with a boss. 

I probably just need to git gud at inventory management, but a little QoL update that adds player scaling for FWs heals and lets you auto-target the woven shadows instead of FW when his shield is up would be great.

But Wilson can beat Fuelweaver. You don't have to pick Wolfgang, but you can if you're struggling. 

5 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

And I watched your FW guide before, @lakhnish, and I greatly appreciate it.

you can use these characters to practise and be more comfortable with the fight without wasting that much time and resources until you feel like fighting with a wilson like character. is what i did back in the day and worked fine for me, i did a run as wolf and learned how to beat every boss and dropped the world after i got bored and killed them many times so i started a new one as refreshed wendy and did the same

Archived