The Fuelweaver could use a QoL update

Lads what is all this talk of weather pains?? Like they are the end all be all strategy.

• Switch to winona build catapults at the outer rim of arena.
  • Stay with ancient fuelweaver as far away from catapults as possible but within range.
  • Focus on killing hands when they spawn ignore woven shadows.
  • Woven shadows get wrecked.
  • Ancient fuelweaver gets wrecked.
  • My sanity is getting wrecked by this thread.

Don't say "ohhh i don't like switching characters, i love only my main ohhhhhhhhh" its a terrible counter-arguement, celestial portal exists in the game for a reason, use it.

Thread over and out. Peace :wilson_vforvictory:

2 minutes ago, Bugsworth said:

A couple of things, I'm pretty sure the boss was designed for multiple people. Second I'm also pretty sure you can do it without weather pains, nightmare amulet, lazy explorer extra.

Why pretty sure, it's already been done 

On 8/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, Falkenpelz said:

Edit on top: Due to the many answers I have realized that some of my complaints are simply a question of training and other people don't struggle that much with those, I had a wrong impression about that. I would still stick to a player scaling mechanic about the woven shadows. Anyways, I'm changing the title a little.

While I really love the dark, lore-heavy aesthetic design of the fight and the big preparation this endgame boss appropriately requires, the fight mechanics to me are a ridiculous hell. I feel like I need at least three hands for this, simply for constantly juggling your Lazy Explorer, nightmare amulet, weatherpain, heals, sanity food and weapon around. The attacks look cool as heck and in theory the concept of a boss that shields and heals and therefore appears as an equal is the right approach for FW, but... this whole fight is mainly about tossing your hand items around right now.

Example: At the start of the 2nd phase, you use the weatherpain, get trapped in a cage, need a second for aiming your teleportation with the mouse, another split second to put on the amulet, you move towards the first hand and bam, the WP effect is already over and FW ate two shadows that spawned right inside his a... Of course I'm speaking out of frustration here, but there are too many factors that add up to make this fight painfully unfair as singleplayer. 400 hp per shadow is incredibly much for max 68 damage per hit and the fact that they spawn directly under FW sometimes almost guarantes that he will heal huge chunks of health before you can react. I think one issue is, that a shield, massive healing and two methods of stunlocking the player for a long time come all at once immediately at phase 2. You need to swiftly take out two different groups of minions (unseen hands and shadows) at the same time, while also constantly switching between different tools to avoid stunlocking. There is nothing intuitive or strategic about this, you just have a precise timeframe to press the right inventory keys, or the fight basically starts from the beginning.

This fight looks like it could be really fun with two or more players, because you can split tasks (e.g. one deals with the woven shadows, while the other one takes down the shield), but the reality is, that not many multiplayer servers ever get to endgame bosses, so people rather solo them.

One solution would be giving FWs moves a scaling basef on the number of players, meaning less shadows and less hp per shadow for a solo player.

And generally it might be a more fun fight, if he did use less bone cages in the shield phase, because you already have to deal with avoiding the mindcontrol stunlock and using the weatherpain every 5 seconds while running through the whole arena.

Aaand for a solo player, the intervall between the shield/minion phase could maybe be made long enough to actually deal some damage lol.

Rant over, what are the forums opinions on this? Again, I very much like the design and general idea of the fight, but I feel like it is more about juggling tools around to an absolutely unforgiving timer right now.

In fact, if you use some strategies, AFW is very simple. Especially if there are more than two players.

I just did a few AFW tutorials.

On 8/10/2022 at 1:24 AM, Bugsworth said:

A couple of things, I'm pretty sure the boss was designed for multiple people.

I think that's precisely the issue. Most of the raid bosses are clearly intended to be fought by multiple people, not just by their large health pools but their design itself. It's impossible to stunlock Dragonfly for most solo characters, whereas it's simple when you have more than one player. This gives you a ton of additional free damage output, when you already have far more damage output and people to tank him. Kiting Dragonfly solo requires quite precise timing, and if you can't do it he'll cost you tons of extra healing and armor. Again when you have three or more players tanking him it's a non-issue. Bee Queen becomes so much easier when you can split the grumble bees between multiple people. Crab King gets so much easier when you're not dealing with all his attacks as one person. Same with Fuelweaver, Toadstool...

One problem I have is that there's a small group of players who are very good at the game who say "just get good", when their skill level is not representative of the average player. Another is that it often takes a very precise set of equipment just to be able to solo a boss like Fuelweaver (stack of cooked cactus, multiple weather pains, multiple lazy explorers, bee queen crown, night amulet, stack of pierogis, and so on and so on). And that is provided you have the mechanical skill. Meanwhile when you have 4-6 players joining the fight, every raid boss becomes child's play.

I get that there can be some unintended issues with health scaling, but you have to compare the hypothetical situation with health scaling to what it is now. And it's not great the way it is now. In short I think the raid bosses I named are too difficult solo and too easy with multiple players. I don't think the behaviour of bosses needs to change necessarily but their HP should be lower for solo and higher for bigger servers. I think that would be an improvement over the current situation.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:01 AM, Capybara007 said:

if you have to say "just cheese the boss if you dont like it" then something must be wrong with the boss, lets make that clear

This arguement has been brought up for as little as deerclops and it always comes down to people not willing to adapt.

On 8/16/2022 at 3:56 PM, GelatinousCube said:

With a single Volt Goat anenome farm Weather Pains become very easy to amass. Don't think it needs to be rechargable tbh.

carrying 10 weatherpains that take up 10 slots vs carrying 1 weatherpain with items to recharge that take 1 slot.
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If I get what I want, we both win.

With 2 inventory slots necessary. And you could still do it your way. win/win

10 minutes ago, chirsg said:

carrying 10 weatherpains that take up 10 slots vs carrying 1 weatherpain with items to recharge that take 1 slot.
Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If I get what I want, we both win.

With 2 inventory slots necessary. And you could still do it your way. win/win

why do you need 10 WP? 2 bundles can hold 8 WP anyway...

im sick of rechargable items, no need for wp with the ammount of moose goose you can kill and how easy is to get new goat herds

On 8/7/2022 at 7:17 PM, Ornge said:

Again, nothing about the fuelweaver is designed to be fun alone. It's the opposite when you read into it. You loving the fuelweaver is an opinion that you have developed, not one the mechanics of the game encourage. I'd love to hear what the reason for you enjoying fuelweaver is because I can't figure it out.

It is one of the few fights in the game that doesn't boil down to "recognize attack pattern and move accordingly", you instead recognize patterns other than being smacked up close; It is a fight with several distinctive mechanics all of which are resource-skip friendly. You can do it the easy way or the hard way, it has no hard-roadblock for either. It also accomplishes the "fight with different mechanics" far better than Toadstool, who has far too few mechanics for how long it drags on and has no loot fit for non-builders; and infamously crab king, borderline unfair resource check(boards, patches mostly) to do with 1x damage because you cannot kill claws in time without serious boat damage. You can't even cancel the heals of a pearled CK without animation canceling or a second person, or a follower.

16k hp, 12kish for when most mechanics begin IMO is a perfect lenght for the number of things that are gonna be happening for 1x damage; You have to multitask and pay attention to several things going on at once, the minimum prep it takes are a magi, ham bat and green caps. It doesn't drag on nearly as badly unless you mess up a lot; in which case, go prepare.

DST fans may be unfamiliar to fights with multiple ongoing mechanics at once, but as an MMO raiding enthusiast I absolutely enjoy the motor skill check that I'm already familiar with. And it's perfectly trivialize-able without cheese for people who'd rather not deal with that; three catapults and he's a sitting duck. Weather pain if you have any stigma against changing characters. Teleports remove an entire mechanic on their own.

And that's why I think FW is cool as is! What you could do is to make the self-heals a bit less punishing, though I don't really mind anything else it has.

On 8/7/2022 at 6:20 AM, HowlVoid said:

The healing mechanics for CK and FW are just gimmicky imo because there's very few limited ways to counter them and that's with weather pains.

CK I agree with. You have to be doing nothing else on the boat and animation canceling, or you need a second person or follower just to cancel a pearled CK's heals. It honestly makes solo CK painful with x1 damage.

FW on the other hand can be done without teleports or weather pains, as there's strats for both that can work simultaneously. It doesn't actually enforce a flat resource check; In return, the option of the skill check is... Pretty above average. But honestly, it's the most fun way to do it once you can pull it off.

Archived