Two video examples how you can farm crazy amounts of fish with new Wickerbooks

5 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

Nuts.

Though the book seems to only spawn small fish? Would be broken if big fish can be spawned.

I tried few different setups, and sometimes was able to get some big fishes. Usually with three slots like this one in close proximity. I have no inside to how it works tho, might thave something to do with ammount of water tiles. 

5 hours ago, Spino43 said:

Nuts.

Though the book seems to only spawn small fish? Would be broken if big fish can be spawned.

depends on what part of ocean you are

hell yeah i love these books

its akin to bird book where you can farm crazy amount of morsels

3 hours ago, milko7002 said:

(edit: might be worth building on lunar island to avoid sanity problems)

Oh my Lord..... why didn't I build my blowdart/bird farm on lunar for this same reason....

How have I never thought of this! 

Might have to move it now. Definitely setting up this fish farm too.

Well since the cats out of the bag, they're gonna nerf it now. That's how that works.

At the very least, if there's too many fish in the water specifically, the game starts to lag a lot, but it goes back to normal once you kill them or force them out of the water.

Hopefully they won’t nerf it, and thematically they shouldn’t , the book is expensive enough and as it was said above this is the same as birds of the world which also lets you create extreme amounts of food.

Also both of these things either require a boss items that is not easy to craft, or visiting monkey island which is also a laborious task itself.

I think this is what Wickerbottom does. It’s just perfect.

55 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

For some reason we got this book but Horti was nerfed to what it is, that's why lmao

A single book of applied horticulture (the regular one) can give you 50 dragonpies and (at least) 50 dragonpie seeds in any season, in half a day of work. Or 150 stonefruits (you don't need to read twice to get stonefruits, you read once and the second phase happens on its own in 10 seconds). 
it's still a very powerful book, and mass producing food fast with magic is a wicker trademark thing.

Also the more I test the fish book, the more I realize for a normal playthrough its very expensive compared to the other food producing books. As a matter of fact I'd even buff it a bit and make it somewhat cheaper (maybe costing one bobbler instead of 2, or just remove the bobblers). 
Given how expensive it is, it is not something I'd rush. It seems more of a late game luxury.

2 hours ago, lakhnish said:

For some reason we got this book but Horti was nerfed to what it is, that's why lmao

Well, Applied Horticulture just needs plants around it. To take advantage of The Angler's Survival Guide you need a way to actually get the fish, just like you need a way to get the birds for Birds of the World. The two options in the original post here are harder to get than a bunch of crops or bushes, and the other options (like trawlers or just fishing) aren't as effective. I think the book's completely fine. You can take advantage of it for some crazy results with the right setup, but that's the fun of it isn't it?

I think it'd be cool if Horticulture, Expanded could grow crops into giants (right now any sort of magic growth is hard-coded to prevent giant crops). But it's not really a major complaint for me. The book produces easy food at the cost of sanity, and you can just leave it in a bookcase to let it repair over time. If you really want, you can have 4 banana bushes nearby whenever you read the book to cook a banana shake to restore the lost sanity.

But anyway, me and a friend have been having a lot of fun with this book. We have a bunch of Trawlers placed in deep water, and every once in a while we would gather (Wickerbottom and Wortox) and start reading a bunch of those books from a bookcase. Lots of fish would spawn and we would frantically run around to take them out of the trawlers before they break. I'd kill excess fish for souls, and my friend would use the meat for Surf 'n' Turf.

11 hours ago, Spino43 said:

Nuts.

With setup like this I was able to spawn some mud-fishes, You can still use just one cannon but it is less consistent.

setup number x.png

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

With abilities like these I still wonder why people are fill with fury when someone brings up slingshot buffs...

especially when Alarming clock exists. 

like, how "op" would a small buff to a slingshot be? currently it has both smaller damage and slower atack speed when compared to melee weapons, and while it's totally fine for ranged weapon to be weaker than a melee weapon, marble rounds having less dps than an axe(at least last time i checked) kinda sucks.

i really love Walter's character, and i like using slingshot, but really, who enjoys spending 5 days to kill a spider. 

5 hours ago, milko7002 said:

With setup like this I was able to spawn some mud-fishes, You can still use just one cannon but it is less consistent.

setup number x.png

I just remember that if you have any lunar new year event, koi fishes will spawn on the coast which give big fish. Can you test if they can be spawned via books?

Archived