Clothing items and backpacks at the same time

I've noticed that not many people use items like puffy vest and summerfrest, as most people including me wear backpacks. Clothing items should be worn alongside with backpacks, but not armor. This would make body insulation items more useful. 

There's a mod called extra equip slots that does this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375850593

I mean, I'm with it. For me the use will really be aesthetic only, since a Thermal can keep you from freezing if u overheat before leaving your base. I've also come to appreciate the Luxury Fan for Summer alongside the Eyebrella. I suppose using clothing items along with a backpack can let you keep wearing your helmet. 

Clothes are already better than backpacks. "Most people"  just don't know how to manage their inventory so they don't wear them.

If you look at what "most people" use you'll notice it doesn't include most of the strongest items items in the game like thulecite armor, magi, bone equipment, etc. "Most people" have a football helmet, a backpack (not even a piggyback or insulated pack), and then a spear or maybe a ham bat. From what I've seen on pubs "most people" don't even make a lantern unless you supply them with the lightbulbs, and "most people" definitely don't make moggles or miner hats. "Most people" don't even understand how clothes and thermal stones work and try to use both a hat and a stone, which doesn't do anything.

Thermal stones keep you safe for about 4 to 8 minutes depending on how you heat it. Clothes are about 11 to 25 minutes depending on how many you wear, and they heat up faster than a stone, and you can actually tell when you can start heading out with max duration unlike a stone. Summer is even more in clothes' favor since clothes is literally just right clicking something in your inventory every 10 or so minutes to cool down unlike a thermal stone (unless you have snow Chester who can keep the stones cool, but he can die, only one person gets him, and he can't follow you through the caves).

Sounds kind of cool, but I'm with Cheggf on this one. It used to be a huge problem for me as well but once I learned how to manage my inventory a bit more. . .The only time I really ever use a backpack is early game, resource runs etc. I might drop a backpack by certain locations like outside the ruins and make a kind of trade route to drop off goods, return back drop backpack and continue to use armor. I like armor because I'm pretty reckless.

While there are some really nice body slot armor, most body armor/clothes are not very good and can easily be replace by head slot armor/clothes. I’d much prefer if the weaker body armor/clothes got buffed instead of just making backpacks a whole different slot. I like the idea of body armor/clothes being better than hat armor/clothes while not allowing you to wear a backpack so the player has to decide if they want better armor/clothes or more inventory slots. Those types of decisions are very fun.

nope

there are a balance between choosing the best weather protection/having more slots/having speed+light/having armor

if you want to wear coats start by learning inventory management, i see a lot of people carrying 24/7 flint, gold, grass, twigs, many armor items, materials for armor items, +2 light sources, tools that wont be used, etc in their inventory...

Honestly doesn't seem like this is a popular opinion at all but I'm all for it as well. It would honestly be more aesthetic than anything for me as well but some neat stuff could be accomplished like actually using a belt of hunger for the first time ever. 

Also I don't think its just purely a case of "those who use backpacks just aren't as good as us pros and can't manage their inventory and dont know how to only use late game GG items" which is certainly a vibe I get almost anytime this topic is brought up and it always irks me because a) elitism which is always gross and b) I couldnt disagree more. Just like the recent thread that was about playing the game how you want to and that there is no correct or incorrect way to play the game this is certainly the exact same thing. Yes backpacks and the such can be a noob trap sometimes in specific situations but at the same time there are plenty of ways to play the game and all are perfectly valid. 

I for one am a hoarder extraordinare, im also on console and up until recently was on ps4 not ps5 so I also couldn't afford to have endless mats and resources laying around everywhere, hell walking through my base used to be a nightmare as the game would lag from the sheer amount of endless full chests of bundle wrapped resources. I very much like to collect large amounts of resources and be able to stop and essentially live wherever I want on the map for as long as I want at a moments notice if I get the fancy to do so. This is why I carry a full stack of all the basic materials and a bunch of other stuff too, I always have ice chester with me with multiple tools in the top two rows (stuff like eyebrellla, sewing kit, miners hat, star and moon caller and lantern generally) and fresh food in one slot on the bottom row and endless bundled food in the last two slots. It has nothing to do with skill or efficiency but purely personal preference. I like to be a mobile base even though I have a megabase as well so that I have total and utter freedom. For reference I have Eyebone, Flint, Twigs, Grass, Rocks, Logs (sometimes Glommer Goop too) all full stacks in my first inventory slots then a stack of bundling wrap on the far right. In my backpack row I have a Bundle Wrap full of emergency food on far left then a full stack of jellybeans and on the far right I have a few head slot armors and a few weapons and a full stack of gold. For me personally this is the perfect setup and pretty much anything and everything I need on the go is easily craftable. I can pick up HEAPS of stuff before needing to stop off at base to store it all, can pickup all drops from multiple bosses if need be and much more. 

To me the chest slot would otherwise be most useful for armor anyway (as oppossed to clothing) and I can simply wear head armor instead (especially as a Wigfrid Main) and keep my backpack. Why on earth would I sacrifice so many storage slots for absolutely no reason. I have cobble paths set up everywhere I need them and aren't a speedrunner (yeah I know speed is massive in this game and helps with overall efficiency but I think storage slots are just as important depending on your playstyle and I'd rather have a mix of both with Krampus Sack and Walking cane+roads) so I don't need extra speed from a Magi either. Similarly I have endless food and a ton of food farms set up that generate more than I could ever need or consume so stuff like Belt of Hunger is also useless. Why would I wear heating or cooling clothes when I can rotate my four furnace thermal stones and simply warm them in the wild on any of my hundreds of firepits with all the burnable objects I constantly amass if need be or even just use a dwarf staf (or to have an actual use for Glommer Goop when I'm not farming) or when I can just rotate two cold stones in Ice Chester and pretty much ignore the heat altogether? If I'm efficient at doing both of these the thermal stones rarely lose durability either so I'm not wasting resources repairing clothing with sewing kits. I rarely overheat or freeze and even if I do oh no better do some quick healing with my endless food or healing items. To my personal playstyle and late game situation there is no other item that could possibly compare to the Krampus Sack and be more useful to me in the chest slot. 

Yes I probably don't need a full stack of the basic resources all the time at all but I PREFER to in the offchance I want to randomly take on additional tasks or adventures when I'm already off doing something else. I like the freedom to clean my world up as I go as well collecting Rot, Guano, Poop etc. I don't like being single minded and going out with a single solitary task and not having anymore room on me in the offchance I find other useful resources along the way or want to take up an additional task. Being able to achieve multiple tasks/goals before returning to base is also far more efficient than going out and doing one thing then having to return everytime because of barely any inventory slots. 

I for one rush Krampus Sack and never ever look back or change into almost anything else. On occasion I'll use marble armor or thul armor for certain specific fights but I take the Krampus Sack with me and leave it nearby until the fight is done. 

Basically I'm part of the Backpack Gang and will never change. 

Also Winter and Summer are an absolute breeze and pose no real challenge to experienced players already. I don't think making them a little easier with heating/cooling clothing is really going to make much of an actual difference in the long run. We could always get new and exciting seasonal dangers and mobs that everyone seems to want these days instead considering the cold and heat aren't a challenge to those us who are well versed in managing them. 

TLDR: No backpacks aren't a noob trap or for those who don't know how to use late game items/manage inventory. They are just another way to play the game and I thought we literally just had an important thread where most people agreed there is no right and wrong way to play the game and more so just personal preference as there are many efficient and skilled ways to play this game. Winter and Summer temperatures are already super easy to deal with for skilled players and I dont think letting us wear seasonal gear and backpacks is as much of a game changer as people seem to think. Krampus sack 4 Lyfe, other chest slot items to me personally cannot ever compare. 

Personally I do use the extra equipment slot mod, it just makes the game less tedious for me.

I mostly disagree with the other posters here. 99% of players wear a backpack 99% of the time. Because you get 8 slots that you can put extra armor in, but body clothes have to be worn the whole time to protect from the weather, so that's the key difference. It's never a choice between armor or inventory slots, you get to carry both because you put on the armor whenever you need to fight and just switch back.

What you don't get to do is have and the extra 8 inventory slots and wear body slot clothing. Now, because you can put clothing in the head slot easily between the Eyebrella and Beefalo Hat, there's basically no incentive to use a Hibearnation Vest or a Rain Coat.

So in that sense I do think it's better to just give people the option to wear both, and with almost 2,6 million subscribers, rivaling mods like Geo Placement, Combined Status and Minimap HUD, which are hardly mods that "break the game", a lot of people feel the same way. It doesn't break the game because people are carrying armor and backpacks together as it stands anyway, and it just gives people the option to instead carry clothing and a backpack. I hope this makes sense.

4 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

So in that sense I do think it's better to just give people the option to wear both, and with almost 2,6 million subscribers, rivaling mods like Geo Placement, Combined Status and Minimap HUD, which are hardly mods that "break the game", a lot of people feel the same way. It doesn't break the game because people are carrying armor and backpacks together as it stands anyway, and it just gives people the option to instead carry clothing and a backpack. I hope this makes sense.

This conversation is as old as the game itself.

If Klei wanted to, they would have added it by now lmao

4 hours ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Personally I do use the extra equipment slot mod, it just makes the game less tedious for me.

I mostly disagree with the other posters here. 99% of players wear a backpack 99% of the time. Because you get 8 slots that you can put extra armor in, but body clothes have to be worn the whole time to protect from the weather, so that's the key difference. It's never a choice between armor or inventory slots, you get to carry both because you put on the armor whenever you need to fight and just switch back.

What you don't get to do is have and the extra 8 inventory slots and wear body slot clothing. Now, because you can put clothing in the head slot easily between the Eyebrella and Beefalo Hat, there's basically no incentive to use a Hibearnation Vest or a Rain Coat.

is simple, if you want to use backpack in summer and winter you use thermal stone/hats, if you want more weather protection just dont use your backpack and learn inventory management. Wearing a backpack and only needing to warm up 2 times per winter doesnt feel right

if you want body armor just equip it and later pick up your backpack, having 24/7 armor+backpack is silly in a game where being hit with armor means getting only ~5 of ~150hp lose

doesnt matter the ammount of people that use that mod, ad populum fallacies dont have room here when is just because that mod makes the game easier and simplier which is what a lot of people look after playing: "easy hormone rewards by "beating" games" and less in a world were certain sh*tty games are played by many for their simplicity (brain traps) or because you can pay to win, low quality music becomes popular and maaaaany other examples inside and outside of the videogame industry

try to use body cloths along with head slots and tell if will be right that to be allowed to be used with backpacks because for me makes no sense at all, klei balanced it quite well. And i didnt mentioned other awful modded slots like being able to wear amulets

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

A long time ago someone suggested that all torso clothing items had a few extra storage slots, and depending the tier of the clothing, the amount of slots. But never as much as a backpack.

I like that idea better.

Thats actually not a terrible idea but it would make sense for winter clothing only, summer clothing is all about being minimalistic.

Nothing too crazy, maybe 1 slot for breezy, 2 for puffy and 3 for hibernation.

Id still personally never use them over magi, but it would encourage more casual players to do inventory management and ultimately transition to magi.

22 hours ago, Chalky said:

I've noticed that not many people use items like puffy vest and summerfrest, as most people including me wear backpacks. Clothing items should be worn alongside with backpacks, but not armor. This would make body insulation items more useful. 

There's a mod called extra equip slots that does this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375850593

Having to make choices is an important part of gameplay. I understand most teens have a attention disorder nowadays but that's not how things work unfortunately. You can't have everything you want.

anyway thermal stones in a backpack already do this

One of the biggest problems “clothing” has is you need to sacrifice your backpack slot for it- which in of itself isn’t that big of a deal: and while playing SINGLE PLAYER Don’t Starve, I had no issue at all of ever throwing my backpack down to equip Armor or a Clothing item.

However in a game with Multiplayer, needing to drop your items on the ground is more often than not.. NOT the smartest thing to do.

To further drive this point home, Wendy use to need to drop Abigail’s flower onto the ground and then kill an animal near to it to get Abby to Spawn, during this time.. Anyone can snatch up the flower- Hence Reworked Wendy where the flower should never under any circumstances need to leave Wendy’s Inventory.

I am hoping that Klei will give Maxwell the same treatment (Aka being able to hold the book in his hand and summon from it rather than needing to drop it on the ground for someone to steal away..)

Which leads me back to the problem of clothing & backpacks.

IF Klei would patch the game so that a players Backpack could not be picked up by another player

(Aka That belongs to Warly…)

Then I’m 150% sure you’d see more players ditching backpacks to use clothing because they’re loots is safe from thieves.

In it’s current form however.. most people ignore clothing as to not lose their backpacks to other players.

But I don’t think being able to wear armor and carry backpacks should be the right way to fix it..

Yeaaaah, most body slot items are pretty garbage overall, considering you have to sacrifice one of the 3-4 chest slot items that are absolutely godlike for... winter insulation, oh joy.

Seriously, the only time you ever want to swap off a backpack is in combat, and the only 3 chest slot items you want to switch off to are the magi, bone armor, or night armor. or marble if you are playing wolfgang and only wolfgang i guess.

Good reason to differentiate chest armor and clothing, armor im not sure what the magi is so il just call it an """armor""" is great in combat, clothing on the other hand is completely worthless in absolutely every scenario.

Egg man is correct but also completely misread it.

Personally I don't think extra equip slots is a good idea but I do think either seasonal bodyslots need buffed or seasonal hats need nerfed simply because even if you ignore backpacks there's just much better non seasonal body slot items with the hibernation being the most useful of the bodyslot seasonal items in my opinion. Seasonal body slot items aren't bad tho I'm not saying that there's just not much incentive to use them over their often superior hat variants even less so with the body slot alternatives.

Archived