Clean Sweaper crafting recipe should be changed back!

Or rather set to a more reasonable but still lore-fitting recipe like 1 living log and 2 dark petals.

Disclaimer: As of the latest update they require 1 twig and 4 regular petals.

Let me be in that minority that hates this change because it's very much devoid of the game's themes, patterns and overall soul. 

Clean Sweaper, while having purely aestetic qualities, is such a unique, strong, powerful and sought after item that it doesn't deserve this joke of a recipe.

The old recipe (3 living logs, 6 dark petals), while admittedly hard to get and could have used a reduction in the amount of materials, had a perfect theme around it by combining living logs and dark petals. It's a tier 2 magic item, a magic rod of sorts with infinite use that is made out of living logs like most other gem based staves that harnasses that dark and mysterious qualities of dark petals. It had a special relation to Totally Normal Trees as it had a 25% chance of dropping from one and all the materials for it would spawn around them as a set piece. If used as fuel in the fire or burned otherwise, it would yell as it was made from living logs. it was all thematically sound and consistent, and it was the only unique use of dark petals in the game.

Now the recipe is pretty much the same as whirly fan, something that requires no science and is intentionally a pretty weak item. All the nice theming around the item is gone and the new recipe isn't reflective of the magical nature of the item. Where is the consistency in this? Those that only care about function can argue all they want about how a skin changing item needed to be easily accessible to demonstrate paid/earned content better but I digress, it was fitting to Don't Starve that the item was a unique craftable that needed some out of the way gathering.

Some argue living logs are too pricey for it. But I digress. There are plenty of ways to obtain them already, they don't require bossfighting or luck necessarily, an easily stack and don't have too many uses. It's also thematically fitting that a tier 2 magic rod is made from them. The needed living logs could have easily been reduced to 2 or 1.

Some argue dark petals are too pricey for it. And I agree that 6 dark petals could be a daunting task but the most logical action from there would have been reducing the cost to 2,3 or 4 dark petals, not outright remove them from the crafting recipe and strip them from the only useful craft they had. Now the dark petals image.png.9e5d57709d58cc0e88b7ae2d18c1844c.pngare robbed from the only unique craftable they had. Unlike what some people think, dark petals aren't strictly limited in a world without a player ghost hunting flowers. They can be got from thumbleweeds (in the pool of most common items after grass and twigs), catcoons and the ghosts that spawn from graves or during full moon. a constructive change would be adding new ways to get them such as adding dark petals into the world regrowth, into the effects of moonstone, full moon, moonstorms... and reducing the number required in the recipe.

In the end it's one less item that has a special, thoughtfull unique crafting recipe and yet another item that uses the basic ingredients of twigs and peals. I don't think this change was well thought out  and honestly it's as absurt as the cookbook recipe change back in October QoL that got backlash and got reverted. It deserves a backlash. Or if the new crafting recipe is to stay as a twig and 4 petals, the item should get a durability cost or even a freshness if the devs want to be any consistent about how these ingredients are generally used or how much their value is compared to the value they create in an infinite use rod. 

dude it is just a simple recipe change for a purely cosmetic item
ease of gameplay should take priority over whatever message the game is trying to say in this type of situation and giving it durability serves no purpose other than making it more tedious

6 minutes ago, Dextops said:

dude it is just a simple recipe change for a purely cosmetic item
ease of gameplay should take priority over whatever message the game is trying to say in this type of situation and giving it durability serves no purpose other than making it more tedious

Utilitarians be utilitarians...

It was very much the Don't Starve brand of tediousness. 

Theming, athmosphere and consistency should not come in expense of ease of use. And in any case a good change would find a mid way. Why not make it 1 Living Log and 1 Dark petal. There, another cheap easy to access recipe that doesn't come in expanse of the game design and principles.

This change was a soulless one.

10 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Utilitarians be utilitarians...

Earlier you were saying you didn't mean to be rude now you're saying this?

10 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Why not make it 1 Living Log and 1 Dark petal. There, another cheap easy to access recipe that doesn't come in expanse of the game design and principles.

Dark petals are neither cheap or easy to access once the initial ones are gone. If you care so much about theming and lore then why have you never complained that a tree bearing no leaves or petals had a chance to drop a clearly manmade staff filled with petals?

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Dark petals are neither cheap or easy to access once the initial ones are gone. If you care so much about theming and lore then why have you never complained that a tree bearing no leaves or petals had a chance to drop a clearly manmade staff filled with petals?

Creative licensing. It was funny, rewarding, purposeful and exiting. 4 words I'd never associate with this new way of making a clean sweaper. I'm not saying the game should be hyperrealistic; rather it should have a character, a thematic vision, character and design.

Come now, you can't claim that getting a single dark petal is hard. Scavenge a thumbleweed or two. If anything, it's justified for such an item with infinite use, large range and huge cosmetic value.

14 minutes ago, Crabot said:

how using a living log has relevance to a item that is just a sweeper that redecorates

Well, if you look at what uses living logs in their crafting recipe, it's usually magical staves, tools and weapons. They are consistent in carrying the theme of "used in making a magical rod/wand/sceptre of sorts". Clean sweeper is a magical sceptre, it's a magical cleaning tool that immediately swaps the how items apear with infinite castings. It'd even yell if it was thrown into fire- a living mysterious wand. That's how design and theming goes in this game. A stick and four flower petals, items used for making whirly fan or pretty parasol aren't thematically fit to make this item is all I'm saying.

image.png.b56e88bbd5fbb8519ba4da4effdfb064.png

ice staff, fire staff, night light, meat effigy, all woodie idols, weather pain and morning star
none of them uses living logs 

Clean_Sweeper.png.ca1230764ca4bb633779e94b7ad0c402.png and look at it, it doesnt even look as wood nor dark petals, it looks more like a bunch of sticks and orange petals

While i do agree the old recipe was interesting in how you have to gather those ressources and tha the new one feel too cheap, I still think it was a bit annoying for a basic item that just swap skin.

I dont mind saving the same recipe with all the theme and lore you want for an other item.

34 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Come now, you can't claim that getting a single dark petal is hard. Scavenge a thumbleweed or two. If anything, it's justified for such an item with infinite use, large range and huge cosmetic value.

If I'm not allowed to say that running across the map to the desert and rummaging through tumbleweeds for a random amount of time just to make my hat blue isn't cheap and easy then you're not allowed to say that stick plus petal to make the stick plus petal thing makes no sense while tree with no petals dropping an entire manmade staff does.

The new recipe makes way more sense both logically and thematically than the ability for TNTs to just drop them.

11 minutes ago, Crabot said:

ice staff, fire staff, night light, meat effigy, all woodie idols, weather pain and morning star

Clean_Sweeper.png.ca1230764ca4bb633779e94b7ad0c402.png and look at it, it doesnt even look as wood nor dark petals, it looks more like a bunch of sticks and orange petals

That's also a good point. It does look more like the new recipe than the old. If the TNTs stopped randomly dropping them for no reason I think their theme would be improved and make more sense. No connection to the things it visually has no connections to.

5 minutes ago, Crabot said:

The color scheme mostly reminds me of the salt lamp. Perhaps throw some salt crystals into the mix?

pQ27PbD.png.0ff4ebdf8fd4903af76c68998db7df52.png

As for the other staves, it feels that if the object you're making a staff out of like the spear or walking cane already has a handle, it uses the same hamdle. But if the object needs a ha dle to be made, it uses the wood of the mysterious living type.

I agree that the resulting clean sweaper never appeared like it properly used three living logs, always seemed like just one, so it'd be appropriate to have one in the recipe imo, both because of the slightly dark handle and the magical wand-like properties.

Objects and food that use twigs often look slim and flimzy, like the the rabbit earmuffs, whirly fan, melonsicle etc.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Clean Sweaper, while having purely aestetic qualities, is such a unique, strong, powerful and sought after item that it doesn't deserve this joke of a recipe.

I don't understand how it's strong and powerful. Like you said it only has aesthetic qualities.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

the item should get a durability cost or even a freshness if the devs want to be any consistent about how these ingredients are generally used or how much their value is compared to the value they create in an infinite use rod. 

It's just a skin changing tool, it doesn't give you any survival tactical advantage whatsoever. The rod (I assume you are talking about the sea fishing rod) however does aid you with survival via catching ocean fish. Giving Clean Sweeper durability cost/freshness wouldn't be a good decision.

I do agree, however, changing from a twig to a living log is a good idea. Living logs have become very accessible after the Lunar Grotto biome was introduced.

Well, if (a) it wasn't so easy, with the new crafting system, to make whatever version an item is already set on by hitting the big shiny button at the bottom by ACCIDENT when you meant to pick the skin _first_, and (b) the game didn't seem to be so damn obsessed with spontaneously combusting my Clean Sweepers, I'd agree with you.  Or at least, the milder version of the recipe said here, where it does use living logs and dark petals but _less_ of them.

...the new crafting system being how it is and fumblefingers me making my items the default versions (or the last skin I did successfully use) all the freaking time, however...

Spoiler

I made my boat sail and my beebox the default ones, for example, and had to use TWO Clean Sweepers to make them look the way I originally intended, because summer kept trying to wildfire my sweeper away (and succeded on the third try).  So...

...Notorious

5 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Objects and food that use twigs often look slim and flimzy, like the the rabbit earmuffs, whirly fan, melonsicle etc.

Conspicuously omitting the spear which looks way more sturdy and well made than the clean sweeper.

Old recipe is more thematic (for it being a magic item) but the new recipe just makes more sense

Something that does NOTHING but change the appearance of things, which honestly just isn't worth anything more than it is now? Plus it's not like the recipe clashes with the visual. If anything it seems more fitting. This totally looks like a stick with some petals stuck on it.

image.png.de6cf24de69b5d8b4ee10c8d1d843b74.png

Something like this shouldn't be annoying to make, especially considering that it does nothing. Honestly, I think the wardrobe could have its board cost cut in half for the same reason.

12 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

pQ27PbD.png.0ff4ebdf8fd4903af76c68998db7df52.pngAs for the other staves, it feels that if the object you're making a staff out of like the spear or walking cane already has a handle, it uses the same hamdle. But if the object needs a ha dle to be made, it uses the wood of the mysterious living type.

and for what reason would need to use living logs for the other staffs if you can already make them with sticks?

Honestly I agree the new recipe feels like.. absurdly cheap. I don't think the previous one was really a reasonable price for what the item did but the new one just feels like a bizarre choice, similar to when the cookbook became like, a cooked carrot and a log or whatever.

Fine with it staying on the cheap side, but maybe switch something around to make it feel a little more fitted to whats being built

hey ive got some new lore, straight from Klei. (official)

the survivors have managed to make a broom which doesn't require ancient shadow magic.

hence the alchemy engine, and lack of magical ingredients.

so now the lore is squared away, hopefully nobody has a reason to give the purely cosmetic item an expensive recipe.

Archived